The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Professional Attire"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

CSHS79 885 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-11-14, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CSHS79 Click to send private message to CSHS79 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Professional Attire"
To all human resource personnel, I need your advice regarding professional attire. Right now, I'm seeing a vocational counselor and have taken workshops at this center given by another counselor. Recently,I took part in a 3 day workshop which lasted 2 hours per day. On Wednesday, the counselor wore a dress with a neckline better suited for a Hooters waitress. On Thursday & Friday, she dressed more modestly.
My issue is,in the afternoon on Wednesday this counselor was at the registration desk for a job fair wearing this revealing outfit. At some of the tables at this job fair, the representatives of the companies wore low cut tops. Is this the new professional attire not appropriate for interviews but once you get hired, it's okay?
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Professional Attire kingfish 04-11-14 1
   RE: Professional Attire CSHS79 04-11-14 2
       RE: Professional Attire kingfish 04-11-14 3
 RE: Professional Attire dabo 04-12-14 4
 RE: Professional Attire kidflash212 04-13-14 5
   RE: Professional Attire newsomewayne 04-14-14 7
 RE: Professional Attire snidget 04-13-14 6
   RE: Professional Attire foonermints 04-14-14 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 17066 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-11-14, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Professional Attire"
I'm not HR. But the direct answer to "Is this the new professional attire not appropriate for interviews but once you get hired, it's okay?" depends on the specific company and the specific job.

But, the practical considerations should center on attire to be worn to a job interview. Stick to what’s important to you, not your judgments on what is proper in general. Although I can tell you that for some of us low necklines (and short skirts) are distractions. Not such bad distractions actually, but certianly they should be avoided in a job interview.

Once you're hired, and are past whatever trial period is involved, it is harder to fire you and any workplace attire rules loosen up. Which I assume was why in your examples there was some variety.

And as one who has had to interview applicants for engineering posts (if that is applicable to you), just remember that your attire isn’t going to get you hired but it might work against you. Just wear something on the nice side of conservative, comfortable (especially if it may be a long day of multiple interviews, most companies will send you around to several interviewers), not shabby, not revealing, you should cover up tattoos and remove piercings. Hair style should not be a shocker. You do not want to risk any shock (sexy, hip, outré) styles. If in your personal life you pride yourself on being at the leading edge of fashion, just suck it up for a day and back off of that.

Have a writing instrument available, even if you have to ask the secretary for one before you enter.

It may be worth doing a little scouting ahead, or asking a receptionist or secretary what the office norm is, some positions (i.e. in a law office? Sales?) do have higher levels of formality.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

CSHS79 885 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-11-14, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CSHS79 Click to send private message to CSHS79 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Professional Attire"
I know what is appropriate for interviews and was not looking for permission to differ from it. My real question was how would you feel about a company if you met representatives at a job fair who dressed so unprofessionally? I'm also having a hard time in wanting to take any more workshops given by this woman. It's like a mom telling her child not to do what she herself did when she was their
age. To me I can't listen to someone I feel is a hypocrite.

kingfish 17066 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-14, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Professional Attire"
Sorry. The mention of vocational training made me inclined to think you were asking for practical advice.

dabo 26073 desperate attention whore postings

04-12-14, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Professional Attire"
From the story I would say this was competitive get them to your table attire. Or they were all planning on going clubbing later and this was competitive attract free drinks attire.

kidflash212 4082 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-13-14, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Professional Attire"
I think the general rule for human resource personnel should be "If you wouldn't hire someone wearing it, don't wear it yourself".

newsomewayne 9231 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-14, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Professional Attire"
I agree. The interviewer should set the standard for appropriate interview attire.

Finding myself in either position, hiring or looking to be hired, the dress of the other would definitely be one of my criteria for extending or accepting an offer.

snidget 71 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-13-14, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snidget Click to send private message to snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Professional Attire"
Ideally all professionals would be appropriately and modestly dressed at all times.

However, I can understand at an event with tables where you are trying to get people over to your table rather than the table across the way that sex sells.

So the company may have different standards depending on if you are giving a class vs when you are needing to be as attractive as possible in a more sales type of role. Even if you aren't directly selling something, when you are in that more of a marketing role that can be a different standard than other events.

It would be nice if you didn't have to use your assets as a woman to make a sales/market the company, etc. I'm sure with guys it doesn't matter if the cut of your suit is a little more roomy vs sexy slim or your hair is a little more mussed up vs rigidly styled. For women it generally does matter. You are likely to be punished for dressing way too modestly (with lower sales and thus lower compensation even if the company doesn't directly act against you) than you are for dressing a bit too sexy.

And every company is going to have a different line on where the too sexy is and how much they are going to say about what you are wearing. After all women have sued for being fired for being a constant distraction.

That said. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have is always a good general rule to follow. You wanna be the girl at the desk at the job fair...or you wanna aim for something higher up the food chain...

foonermints 12952 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-14, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Professional Attire"
Donald Trump?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •