The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Americans finale"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10424 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-17-18, 01:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Americans finale"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-18 AT 01:40 AM (EST)

I wanted to post this somewhere, and the third-from-last episode just ran tonight without knocking out my theory as to how the FX TV show "The Americans" will end. It's still just a theory, and I've been waiting for it to be proven wrong, but it hasn't happened yet. So here goes (and I know how few people watch this show, but here goes anyway):

The show has done a lot of looping back to season 1. We had Stan re-create his search of the Jennings' garage in "Harvest". We had a Gregory mention with Curtis in "The Summit". But what if the show wants to recreate the really iconic moment from the pilot for the finale?

In the pilot, Philip, Elizabeth, and Rob are trying to kidnap the Soviet defector Timoshev. Before Philip and Elizabeth capture him, he stabs Rob. They don't want Rob to die, but they can't actually take him to a hospital because they'll get captured, so they drive to a hospital and dump him on the front lawn, then take off. They end up killing Timoshev when it turns out he'd raped Elizabeth while she was in training, but their objective is not to get caught. When Joel Fields came in to write an episode, he based it around Rob's death (the episode "Gregory").

So here we are two episodes from the end, with a bunch of questions unanswered, but one important one: who's going to die? But what if no one has to die, the way Rob did, if someone is willing to take that person all the way into the hospital at the risk of being caught? I feel that this whole season to this point has been to set us up for that. I think Philip is going to end up taking a wounded Stan to the hospital to save his life, because Philip doesn't want to be a part of more deaths. I think Philip is going to offer Elizabeth a chance to escape before he does it ... and I have speculation for the rest of the ending but it all seems a little too speculative to discuss here (such as how Stan gets wounded).

We shall see.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Americans finale kingfish 05-17-18 1
 RE: The Americans finale kidflash212 05-19-18 2
 RE: The Americans finale foonermints 05-19-18 3
 RE: The Americans finale cahaya 05-22-18 4
 RE: The Americans finale kingfish 05-23-18 5
   RE: The Americans finale cahaya 05-23-18 6
       Finale tonight! cahaya 05-30-18 7
           RE: Finale tonight! cahaya 05-30-18 8
               Spoiler? kingfish 05-31-18 9
                   RE: Spoiler? cahaya 05-31-18 10
                       Fake News? foonermints 06-01-18 11
                           RE: Fake News? cahaya 06-01-18 12
                               If... kingfish 06-02-18 13
                                   Home of the Russian Pacific submari... cahaya 06-02-18 14
                                       BUT! foonermints 06-02-18 15
                                       RE: Home of the Russian Pacific sub... kingfish 06-02-18 16
                                           RE: Home of the Russian Pacific sub... cahaya 06-02-18 17
                                               RE: Home of the Russian Pacific sub... kingfish 06-03-18 18
                                                   Yah.. yah.. foonermints 06-03-18 19
                                                       RE: Yah.. yah.. kingfish 06-03-18 21
                                               Cahaya: foonermints 06-03-18 20
                                                   RE: Cahaya: cahaya 06-04-18 22
                                                       RE: Cahaya: kingfish 06-08-18 24
                                                           RE: Cahaya: cahaya 06-08-18 25
                                                               RE: Cahaya: foonermints 06-10-18 26
 Final recap (spoiler) cahaya 06-05-18 23
 RE: The Americans finale foonermints 06-14-18 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 20375 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-18, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Americans finale"
I watched a couple episodes of the Americans when the series started, but none since. Seemed interesting, and I don't know why I stopped.

At some point I will Binge watch it, and when I do, I'll remember this post.

For the moment, I'm LOLing watching Detour.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kidflash212 5017 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-18, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Americans finale"
They have been filming quite a bit around my neighborhood (70's and 80's car parked around, the movie theater in a recent episode is half a block from my apartment building) and I keep meaning to watch if only to see the neighborhood.

Tribe!

foonermints 14284 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-18, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Americans finale"
HiYa, AyaK!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

cahaya 19708 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-18, 00:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Americans finale"
I had no idea that this series existed, but blame my penchant for reading and joining writer's workshops for that oversight.

Five seasons and a lot of episodes to catch up on all this, so I browsed around for the synopsis and now know who Philip and Elizabeth are (and their "American" family).

As for endings...

Weisberg and Fields said they have known the broad arc of the series ending for some time, but they are still fine-tuning the final script. “We won’t be done writing it until we land on the very last frame that we lock of the final episode,” Fields said.

And perhaps a red herring...

Taylor pointed out a tantalizing mystery from the show’s standing kitchen set. “In the Jennings’ kitchen, there are two dogs on the fridge, and none of us know where that dog came from,” she said.

05-23-18, 06:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Americans finale"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-18 AT 09:16 PM (EST)

The show I was thinking about was "The Americans" with a backwards K in place of the c, about spies imbedded in the US. Am I on the same page as you all?

05-23-18, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Americans finale"
LAST EDITED ON 05-24-18 AT 00:19 AM (EST)

I watched tonight's show at 10:00 on FX (catching the Celtics-Cavs game during commercials).

The "c" part of "American" is a Soviet hammer and sickle, not a backwards "k".

Tonight's episode was interesting and definitely builds up to a final episode next week.

Philip and Elizabeth's cover is blown as the dogged FBI agent Stan unearths enough clues to get them under surveillance, along with an FBI interview of a priest who suspects something is amiss. Meanwhile, their daughter Paige also finds out about their cover through an inadvertent incident amongst her teen friends.

Earlier, Elizabeth trails Nesterenko and kills Tatiana before she has a chance to knock Nesterenko off in an assassination attempt. This apparently has some ramifications on Gorbachev's hold on power in the Soviet Union in the midst of a power struggle. Her handler, Claudia, is cooked.

Philip is chased in the streets by the agents, gets away, and warns Elizabeth in a coded phone call that they're blown. She grabs an already prepared go-bag and some cash, passports and fake license plates to make a run for it.

We don't see anything of their son, Henry, in this episode.

So how will it end?

It seems inevitable that Philip and Elizabeth will, probably separately, and probably with not the same result, face one of these fates:
1. Get caught and arrested and the whole ring gets rolled up.
2. Get killed (or commit suicide) in the attempt to avoid getting caught.
3. Get away, only to get killed by the KGB or anti-Gorbachev agents.

No happy ending for either of these two here.

Stan will probably survive all this and earn an FBI medal.

Paige and Henry seem safe and will continue their life as American kids, with the blot of their parents in their past.

05-30-18, 06:13 PM (EST)
7. "Finale tonight!"
On FX at 10:00.

05-30-18, 11:49 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Finale tonight!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-18 AT 02:17 AM (EST)

Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Even having only watched the last two episodes, the finale was a satisfying ending.

It turns out that no else had to die off in the final episode, thanks to Stan who let himself get talked into letting them go after Philip's monologue in the parking garage with Elizabeth and Paige.

It was a hairy trip for Philip and Elizabeth. They get into Canada via Amtrak with border agents checking passports looking for them based on sketches and then into Russia past a guarded checkpoint, no means certain that they wouldn't get detained somewhere along the way.

As I had predicted, the two kids, Paige and Henry, end up being left behind (Paige, willingly after stepping off the Amtrak at the Canadian border and Henry, not knowing anything of what has gone on -- only to be told later by Stan out of an act of compassion).

Philip and Elizabeth end up in Russia with an uncertain future, but a future together.

And apparently, Gorbachev remains in power despite some attempts to undermine his authority that could have threatened global stability.

05-31-18, 03:05 PM (EST)
9. "Spoiler? "

There's not many who would have read this, but maybe Fooner recorded it for later? If so, you just got a Foonerville parking ticket.

And heaven help you if you spoiled one of the Ayatollah's favorite show endings. That'd be Fatwa city. To be safe, you better read up on WITSEC.

05-31-18, 11:54 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Spoiler? "
WIT a SEC, did you even watch it yourself? No comment?

06-01-18, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Fake News?"
Personally, The Mayor of foonerville™ has complete faith that the Kingfish knows what he is blabbing about.

06-01-18, 09:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Fake News?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-18 AT 09:43 PM (EST)

Yeah, but who knows, though? He could be a Russian spy!

He probably even swam through the Barents Sea!

06-02-18, 01:17 PM (EST)
13. "If..."
...I was a Russian spy, it'd be the gulag for you. Over there on the other side of the Bering Sea.

06-02-18, 02:39 PM (EST)
14. "Home of the Russian Pacific submarine fleet"

No gulags here.

06-02-18, 08:14 PM (EST)
15. "BUT!"
Word-On-The-Street says Swedish women are easy.

06-02-18, 08:51 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Home of the Russian Pacific submarine fleet"
Nice try.

06-02-18, 10:39 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Home of the Russian Pacific submarine fleet"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-18 AT 02:34 AM (EST)

Actually, that would be the Atlantic submarine fleet.

06-03-18, 11:14 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Home of the Russian Pacific submarine fleet"
There is a Barents Sea, but to get from the US to the Siberian Gulags, you need to swim the Bering Sea. There are no gulags in Greenland. To see Helga's folks, well, then you might need to swim thru the Barents.

And no one knows just exactly where our stealth submarine fleets are. Because they are, you see, stealth submarines. Nice graphics, but those are visible.

06-03-18, 01:47 PM (EST)
19. "Yah.. yah.."
But was I still right about the Swedish women?

06-03-18, 03:46 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Yah.. yah.."
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-18 AT 06:54 PM (EST)

Sounds good to me, but I think we should test that theory. Long tall women who grew up having to cuddle on artic winter nights? Yes please. That's something we should investigate.

06-03-18, 02:04 PM (EST)
20. "Cahaya:"
Calling Russian submarines Fat.

06-04-18, 11:49 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Cahaya:"
I'll go for the Swedish ladies over the fat submarines and gulag visits.

06-08-18, 12:52 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Cahaya:"
Sorry. Nice try, but it's a big no go.

Spoiling the final episode of Americans for Fooner is a Gulag offense, not a Helga offence. Helga is there when you get out, but you broke the "no-spoiling TV shows for Fooner" prohibition, so it's the Gulag (across the BERING sea) for you. If you shovel enough coal, they might let you out early.

06-08-18, 08:51 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Cahaya:"
Who needs coal when you can snuggle up and keep warm under the covers with a gulag-ette across from the BARING sea?

06-10-18, 10:18 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Cahaya:"
How come I am imagining something X rated?

moonbaby!

06-05-18, 11:03 AM (EST)
23. "Final recap (spoiler)"
There's a good recap on Vox for the finale found here.

"The Americans finale proved there are TV fates worse than death."

06-14-18, 06:13 PM (EST)
27. "RE: The Americans finale"

Agman!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •