The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Too Intrusive?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

kidflash212 4104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-16-14, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Too Intrusive?"
Get to work today and find an email and would really like to hear others opinion of it. I know we don't get the traffic we used to around here but there is more anonymity here and I am really interested in hearing some thoughts.

My workplace issues a cell phone, tablet or laptop to employees. They are strictly for work and most of us have our own devices for our personal lives.

Today, they announced a pilot program where our personal and business devices would be combined. Employees would use their personal devices for business purposes. Supposedly they would create a "business shell" (I am not the most tech savy, so my explanation may not be completely clear)on our personal devices, where usage and fees would be paid by the employer. According to them they would have no access to any personal information on these devices. It is being sold to us as way to free us from the cumbersome burden of carrying two devices instead of one. A burden I've yet to hear anyone complain about. It is voluntary as of now.

Unless I have no choice, I will not be participating. Wondering if anyone else feels this sounds a little to intrusive into a employees personal life?

Tribe!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Too Intrusive? Estee 04-16-14 1
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-16-14 6
 Thanks! foonermints 04-16-14 2
   RE: Thanks! kidflash212 04-16-14 9
       RE: Thanks! foonermints 04-16-14 11
           RE: Thanks! kidflash212 04-19-14 28
               Hmmm.. foonermints 04-22-14 30
 RE: Too Intrusive? dabo 04-16-14 3
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-16-14 10
 RE: Too Intrusive? kingfish 04-16-14 4
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-16-14 7
   RE: Too Intrusive? cahaya 04-17-14 21
 RE: Too Intrusive? personofinterest 04-16-14 5
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-16-14 8
       RE: Too Intrusive? kingfish 04-16-14 12
           *sigh* foonermints 04-16-14 13
               RE: *sigh* kingfish 04-16-14 14
                   RE: *sigh* suzzee 04-17-14 19
 RE: Too Intrusive? Molaholic 04-16-14 15
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-17-14 16
       RE: Too Intrusive? kingfish 04-17-14 17
           RE: Too Intrusive? personofinterest 04-17-14 18
               RE: Too Intrusive? suzzee 04-17-14 20
                   RE: Too Intrusive? foonermints 04-17-14 22
 RE: Too Intrusive? Brownroach 04-17-14 23
   RE: Too Intrusive? kingfish 04-18-14 24
       RE: Too Intrusive? jbug 04-18-14 26
           RE: Too Intrusive? kingfish 04-18-14 27
   RE: Too Intrusive? kidflash212 04-18-14 25
 RE: Too Intrusive? newsomewayne 04-21-14 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 56458 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-16-14, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Given that you work for a financial institution, my first reaction would be "Not only no, but hell no."

I think your 'as of now' is either precognition or genre saavy.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

04-16-14, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
We have had voluntary pilot programs that became mandatory before.

foonermints 12970 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-14, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Thanks!"
Already got your password!

WhooHoo! Looky: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sincerely,
UkraineMints

04-16-14, 03:30 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Thanks!"
Don't you have a war to fight instead of messing with my change jar?

04-16-14, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Thanks!"
I'm just using your account to launder the drug money from my Schlabotnik brother in Russia.

Did you realize you were a multi millionaire for a second or two?

Thanks for the untraceable link!

We left a couple hundred hryvnia in your account.
btw: You are now wanted for high treason in 3 countries.
Again, my appreciation.

04-19-14, 02:59 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Thanks!"
Which three countries? I'm planning my summer vacation.

04-22-14, 08:50 AM (EST)
30. "Hmmm.."
I'd stay away from The Magic Kingdom. Disney is pretty pissed at that missing 40 million. I hear there are evil plans afoot in The Small World for your "disappearance".

The Kingdom of Nepal is pretty mad too. Not for that avalanche on Everest, but the fact that the Rupee is only worth a penny.
When I was there I think it was a dime. Ah well, now that's your fault.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
#3? Stay out of Smurfville! They have torches!

dabo 26124 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-14, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Everyone who hasn't complained about it should say, "No thanks, I'm fine with how things are."

04-16-14, 03:31 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I'm hoping very few are willing to sign up and this balloon doesn't fly.

kingfish 17112 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-14, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I wouldn't volunteer either. The "business shell" would presumably isolate your personal stuff from your professional stuff on the same device. But that sounds like something that an over zealous, paranoid, or just nosy system administrator could override.

And if the company was paying for the service, the administrator would be working for them.

I don't think they can make you do it, however. If they tried, what would stop you from signing up for a service that they had no knowledge of? Which, BTW, I would do if they did insist on it.

Actually, if you see it coming in the future, you might sign up for a service that you could use as a dummy private service to offer to them.

04-16-14, 03:21 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I could get a second account but that would mean having two cell phone accounts at my expense just to protect my own privacy.

While they may not be able to force anyone into this, it can mark you as not-a-team-player which means promotions, bonuses and pay increases can become scarce.

cahaya 19125 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-14, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I'm not familiar with the "shell" technology mentioned here, but I think it's safe to say that whatever is on one device is accessible to anyone who knows how (or has the authorization) to get into it. I used to have PC's with both "Unix shell" and "DOS shell" which were operationally completely separate operating systems, but they both still resided on the same hard disk for anyone (including me) to get into.

personofinterest 108 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-16-14, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail personofinterest Click to send private message to personofinterest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Interesting and a little different from the university where I work. Our folks were trying to figure out a way to save money on phone expenses. They started with "you can have a desk phone or a cell phone but not both." I admit that a couple of our folks do have both because of the after hours, on call nature of a treatment progrm.

The newest is .. we will give a stipend to anyone who agrees to use their personal phone for work too. The university wants to get out of the cell phone business, and I don't blame them. However, we do research with people who tend to be poor, needy, and/or mentally ill (mostly and). In addition, we run an outpatient substance abuse and mental health program.

My response to administrators was "hell no." So far it has worked. I think admin folks are afraid that I will hand out their personal cell phone numbers for after hours, on call purposes!

04-16-14, 03:29 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Unfortunately, there will be people who will sign up or be intimidated into it leaving any holdouts in the not-a-team player box I mentioned above. Fear of losing ones job is a big motivator.

My employer has fired people at least twice that I know of for things they posted on their personal Facebook page - this new attempt to have more of their nose in my business is scary.

04-16-14, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-16-14 AT 04:30 PM (EST)

You really do need a dummy account to give them. One that you would resign from after a month or two if you were forced to join their plan. .

If they called you to the mat for dumping the account you gave them, they would be admitting that they did intrude on your private account.

And you could sue? (I know, that's a can of worms).

04-16-14, 04:58 PM (EST)
13. "*sigh*"
Kingfish: making the lives of the little people miserable.

04-16-14, 06:18 PM (EST)
14. "RE: *sigh*"
What I was born to do.

suzzee 5349 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-14, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: *sigh*"
and I wouldn't have it any other way

Corrupting teenage boys since, well,
none of your business how long...

Molaholic 8767 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-14, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Add my name to the HELL NO! club. Sounds to me like a move Big Brother (the George Orwell version) would instigate.

04-17-14, 06:21 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I have visions of becoming something akin to the Borg collective. All connected all the time.

04-17-14, 08:07 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
The queen Borg was pretty hot though. Except for the metal parts.

personofinterest 108 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-17-14, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail personofinterest Click to send private message to personofinterest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Hmm .. I thought that metal could get hot.

suzzee 5349 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-14, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
don't encourage him >snirk<

04-17-14, 09:33 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
I'm watching you.

Brownroach 14577 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-14, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-17-14 AT 11:32 PM (EST)

A LITTLE too intrusive? Oh no no no. You will NOT sign up for this under any circumstances. (And you are smart smart SMART so I know that you won't.)

So what will happen if enough employees refuse to sign on? ETA: I reread your later posts above. I would hope that enough people would disagree but it sounds like you think they won't. I still feel intrinsically that you should not consent to it, though I understand that refusing could ultimately cost one one's job. Investigate all legal options, I think this can be argued against. Legal minds on OT, please weigh in?!

04-18-14, 08:24 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
My mind is legal. I've been tested.

And I agree wholeheartedly, with the caveat that it is your decision and only you know what you're risking.

If they follow thru, and you don't want to get a second service, I'd ditch the cell etc. (leave them at home) while the the transition is underway. I assume that the only way they would know about your private devices is if you told them, or if you answered an call from them (caller ID would be your friend).

Change your Email address and phone no? (don't forget your RTVW PW).

jbug 16894 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-14, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
good idea guppie.

Cancel you cell. If you don't have one, they can't make you use it.

Get a new phone under a family member's plan (mine is with my SIL & brother).
They surely can't make you use a phone that someone else is responsible for.

04-18-14, 12:30 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
That's an even better idea, Junebug.

04-18-14, 08:32 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Knowing how things go at my job, it will take awhile before it gets to "mandatory". The #####-kissers who sign up immediately, under the impression that doing so will get them in good with the higher ups, will try it out for a few months, and say how great it works. Even if it works terrible, they will say it works great. Do all jobs have this type of person?

Then, it will be expanded to new hires and people promoted to a new role. Finally it will be everybody. The process will take between one and two years.

newsomewayne 9238 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-14, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Too Intrusive?"
Sounds like they want to free themselves from a lot of capital overhead costs by dumping the up front costs of hardware onto their employees.

I say screw that. If a company thinks I need a computer or a phone to do my job, they'd dang well better provide it.

If the path to work-hell is already being paved with the souls of the butt-kissers you mentioned, you should probably start polishing up your resume.

But do it on your personal computer.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •