The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 56922 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-30-14, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
So if you thought you were going to Heaven? Sorry, but Apple just bought all the space.

*sigh*

Congratulations. This can of worms just ate America.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... kingfish 06-30-14 1
   RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... Estee 06-30-14 2
 SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporatio... newsomewayne 06-30-14 3
   RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corpor... Estee 06-30-14 4
       RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corpor... newsomewayne 06-30-14 5
           RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corpor... Estee 06-30-14 6
               RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corpor... newsomewayne 06-30-14 8
                   RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corpor... Estee 07-01-14 9
 RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... dabo 06-30-14 7
   RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... Estee 07-01-14 11
       RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... snidget 07-01-14 25
 Well, that was quick. Estee 07-01-14 10
 Pascal Incorporated. Estee 07-01-14 12
   RE: Pascal Incorporated. kingfish 07-01-14 18
 RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... newsomewayne 07-01-14 13
   RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... Estee 07-01-14 14
       RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... dabo 07-01-14 15
           RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... kingfish 07-01-14 16
           RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... cahaya 07-01-14 17
       RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... newsomewayne 07-01-14 28
           RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... dabo 07-01-14 30
               RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... kingfish 07-02-14 32
                   RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... cahaya 07-02-14 33
                       RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... dabo 07-02-14 38
               RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... newsomewayne 07-05-14 45
                   RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... cahaya 07-05-14 46
                       RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... newsomewayne 07-05-14 47
                       RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... starshine 07-05-14 48
           RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... bondt007 07-02-14 34
           RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and ex... Estee 07-02-14 36
 Hobby Hypocrites dabo 07-01-14 19
   RE: Hobby Hypocrites kidflash212 07-01-14 22
       RE: Hobby Hypocrites dabo 07-01-14 24
   RE: Hobby Hypocrites newsomewayne 07-01-14 29
       RE: Hobby Hypocrites dabo 07-01-14 31
       RE: Hobby Hypocrites snidget 07-03-14 39
 RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... bondt007 07-01-14 20
   RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... Estee 07-01-14 21
   RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... kingfish 07-01-14 23
       RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... newsomewayne 07-01-14 27
           RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold ... Estee 07-02-14 37
 Rick Santorum, future multi-million... Estee 07-01-14 26
 Here we go. Estee 07-02-14 35
   RE: Here we go. snidget 07-03-14 40
       RE: Here we go. Estee 07-03-14 41
           RE: Here we go. kingfish 07-03-14 42
               RE: Here we go. cahaya 07-04-14 43
 First Hobby Lobby, now Wheaton Coll... cahaya 07-04-14 44
 By Christian definition, they're a ... Estee 07-28-14 49
   RE: By Christian definition, they'r... cahaya 07-28-14 50
   RE: By Christian definition, they'r... dabo 07-31-14 51

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 17464 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-14, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
LAST EDITED ON 06-30-14 AT 02:40 PM (EST)

So, closely held corporations have the right to impose their religious beliefs on their employees.

A 5-4 decision. This will come up again in front of a future court.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-30-14, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
The artificial person now has an artificial soul and has to worry about getting into artificial heaven.

Sort of looking forward to the first Christian working for an Islamic-owned corporation who realizes that it's his petard and they have a legal right to hoist him by it.

newsomewayne 9275 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-14, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
Unlike the POTUS, it seems they actually read the First Amendment.

surfkitten siggie and board shop 2007

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and assign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks...

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.

(signed) G. Washington

06-30-14, 06:34 PM (EST)
4. "RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
So if you went to work for a corporation run by an Islamic ownership, you would have no issues with their striking out those portions of your health insurance which didn't fit with sharia law.

Scientologists and you're fine with not getting access to antidepressants.

The Witnesses and forget about blood transfusions.

Any one of the many faiths which will refuse to pay for vaccinations.

Something with a Do Not Resuscitate belief built-in has no problem failing to perform CPR on you in the cafeteria.

If it's a religion and it's formally recognized, it can use this ruling, Newsome.

This. Is. Not. A. Christian. Exclusive. Law.

Explain to me how you intend to keep it from being used against you. Because I can think of all sorts of ways. And I? Might enforce a few just for the fun of it. Imagine what's going to happen when you run into someone who believes.

By the way, we just took bacon out of the corporate lunchroom. Dietary restrictions, y'know. Religious ones. Feel free to quit.

06-30-14, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
Explain to me how you intend to keep it from being used against you.

As you say, feel free to quit.

06-30-14, 09:02 PM (EST)
6. "RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
Good to know you can find another job at will and cover all expenses in the transition. Now as for the rest of the planet...

Incidentally -- and this is a pure curiosity question -- can you name the faith of every owner for your workplace? (Disregard if self-employed.)

06-30-14, 10:53 PM (EST)
8. "RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
Your premise is completely false, and your question, curiosity or not, is irrelevant.

07-01-14, 04:28 AM (EST)
9. "RE: SCOTUS: Persons who own Corporations may hold and enforce exercise their religious beliefs on others."
"I don't worry about slavery. I'm not a Negro."

*slow head shake*

Never move. Your Balkanized country is your only hope to survive. And that's just sad.

dabo 26397 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-14, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
LAST EDITED ON 06-30-14 AT 10:02 PM (EST)

Personally, I regard it as the modern equivalent of the Dred Scot decision.

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/best-lines-hobby-lobby-decision

07-01-14, 05:43 AM (EST)
11. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
*sigh*

So. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this point, but... it's illegal for prospective employer or employee to ask about the other's faith, right?

snidget 134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-01-14, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snidget Click to send private message to snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
I think the perspective employee may have more latitude than the employer.

As an interviewee questions like "What do you like most about the corporate culture here?" Might at least bring some some answers that one could read between the lines a bit.

I usually see anything to get at the faith of the perspective employees is illegal, like "what religious holidays will you need time off for?"

07-01-14, 05:39 AM (EST)
10. "Well, that was quick."
As of this morning's Email, I no longer have health insurance.

Turns out my corporation is a recently-converted Calvinist.

But by the predetermined and unquestionable mercy of their deity, the upper levels are still fully covered.

07-01-14, 06:15 AM (EST)
12. "Pascal Incorporated."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/05/1033510/-Pascal-Incorporated#

07-01-14, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Pascal Incorporated."
That was fun.

"...my robotraders will pray over every investment they make."

07-01-14, 06:42 AM (EST)
13. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
You should try arguing with reason and fact.

You know, to try something different every now and then.

07-01-14, 06:51 AM (EST)
14. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
LAST EDITED ON 07-01-14 AT 06:53 AM (EST)

Nice to meet you, Speakup. Shall I now insult you by saying it's about time you did your own thinking instead of letting a group of bigots two to six thousand years dead do it for you? Or would you just take that as a compliment? How much of a fight would you like to have? Shall we both get ourselves banned here? Let's find out what the limits are before we go any farther, because you just crossed a line or two and I am more than capable of following. Personally, I'd ask you to explain the vasectomy/IUD divide, but I have no confidence that you'd answer it. Insult me for asking, yes. Answer, no.

In short form as I see it: you think you won. And you're right. Where I feel you're failing to see reality: you seem to think you're the only one who won. There are more faiths than just yours, and every one of them gets to try applying this. Legally, they now get to make that attempt.

You may feel you have the one true faith. So does everyone else.

So tell me why a Calvinist can't say 'My god's limited mercy does not apply to you' and express it as a canceled policy. That's the faith, Newsome: a recognized one with a good deal of seniority. Your death was predetermined by that deity. Can't argue with the decision of the deity. You never seem to, so why should they?

Also, about that 'illegal to inquire' question above. How does any prospective employee know what their coverage will be? How do you ask without breaking the law? What obligation does the corporation have to tell you?

Or just keep going with your current track and slap me in the face again.

That's part of the faith too, isn't it?

07-01-14, 09:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
On the other hand, artificial people now have human rights. Next thing you know they'll want to be getting married.

07-01-14, 09:22 AM (EST)
16. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
LAST EDITED ON 07-02-14 AT 09:32 AM (EST)

A bio/non-bio marriage? I'm aghast.

And a whole new world of insulting terminology will open up that will be unavailable for sporting teams to adopt.

cahaya 19256 desperate attention whore postings

07-01-14, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
Next thing you know they'll want to be getting married.

Oh, that's called a merger and acquisition. (Which is how some misogynist men think of marriage, too.)

And they can have more than one!

The spinoffs are their babies.

07-01-14, 09:41 PM (EST)
28. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
You were insulted by that? Not my intention, so, I apologize. I did mean it as a rebuke, though. Posts 9, 10 and 12 were nothing but fear-mongering conjecture, tinged with masked hatred. You use allusion and misdirection to guide a debate away from its basis. It's tiresome.

If you want to talk about this case, what it was really about, and the decision that was given, that's great. I'm all for it. But I'm not chasing down every dig and insult you can think of. If you want to discuss this case, stick to the facts. And if you do have a legitimate question where you want my opinion, just ask. But I'm not following your faith-baiting.

07-01-14, 10:59 PM (EST)
30. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
The question I would ask, seriously, is why are you all in favor of this decision?

I won't kid you, in my opinion it is a seriously flawed decision in several respects. I likened it above to the Dred Scot decision, and I really wasn't kidding. This decision allows a small group of people to impose their will on thousands of others, regardless of their beliefs.

But, again, why do you favor this decision?

Is it because you are politically opposed to the Affordable Healthcare Act and applaud anything that detracts from it? If so, very well, I disagree with that position but respect your right to hold to that position. Politics, then.

Is it because you somehow believe this decision has anything whatsoever to do with religious freedom? In that case I say quit kidding yourself, it has absolutely nothing to do with religious freedom. Religious freedom is about all our rights to hold to our own religious beliefs, whatever they may be. Religious freedom is not about being able to impose religious beliefs on others, or at least it hasn't been since slavery was abolished.

If your opposition is, instead, a pro-life stance against abortion, and you see this decision as empowering you in your position, I would agree with you that it does. But in a most preposterous and unacceptable manner. This decision does not adhere to any reasonable definition of what is abortion, not in any legal or scientific or medical sense at any rate. It adheres, rather, to a wholly free-form definition of abortion, supported somewhat by a religious freedom position, which contends simply that abortion is whatever any individual may determine for him or herself to regard as abortion.

In terms of law, it is utterly insensible. In terms of the Dred Scot decision, it allows everyone to impose their will on everyone else -- provided they word it in the form of an opposition to abortion. I regard making left-hand turns through yellow lights to be a form of abortion, regardless of whether you agree you now and forever have to contend with this as a reality.

If, on the other hand, or other other other whatever hand, you do regard corporations as actual people for other than civil court purposes and other minor legal distinctions, we will just have to agree to disagree; because I regard that position as moronic and though I would gladly hear arguments in favor of it I seriously doubt I would ever be compelled to agree.

07-02-14, 10:07 AM (EST)
32. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
LAST EDITED ON 07-02-14 AT 10:24 AM (EST)

Seriously.

How can anybody living in the USA, under the constitution, remembering the abysmal historical world record that we have of failures of governments that impose religious values on all their citizens, accept and endorse this decision? Have we lost all reason?

How can anybody back the imposition of anyone’s religious values on anyone else? Even in the present atmosphere of partisan politics where very few things aren’t in a gray area of one sort or another, this just seems so obviously black and white wrong.

I am politically opposed to the steaming pile of cow flop that is the Affordable Care act. I am embarrassed by the worst administration since WWII, led by a president who picks and choses what laws to enforce and who makes up laws when he can’t get them passed legally, and whose decisions are almost 100% divisively partisan and self-promoting, and anything anti-Bush or anti-Republican. Patooie on him. Double patooie. He stinks. We can do better. His dog is OK. I like his dog.

I am pro-choice. But I feel that the owners of closely held corporations have the right to be pro-life just as their employees have a choice to be pro-choice or pro-life. And I believe that their choices can be based on religious values, or whatever. But I do not believe that anyone should be able to impose their personal values on anyone else.

I watch/read Fox. I watch/read MSNBC. I believe I recognize the bias of both.

And I think that in at least one sense, in one very real sense, that corporations are people. They wouldn’t exist if they weren’t really and essentially the people that own them and work for them, and because they are essentially promoting political (as well as social, community, charity, etc.) positions that benefit the owners, employees, and to a lesser extent, customers, all of whom are people. Admittedly, in another sense, they are a legal artifice of ownership and responsibility.

And with that all said, I cannot for the life of me see this decision as anything but supremely and fatally flawed.

07-02-14, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
Between you and dabo, I think two you covered just about everything I would say on this ruling and why it is flawed.

The basic principle here, as you put it, is how can anybody back the imposition of anyone’s religious values on anyone else?

Foo dogs by tribe

And we are seeing an increase in this everywhere, even in my second home, Malaysia.

07-02-14, 08:17 PM (EST)
38. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
More interesting reading
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/supreme-court-hobby-lobby-decision

This 5-4 ruling applies to about 90 percent of all American businesses, and 52 percent of America's workforce. ..

all four of the contraceptive methods Hobby Lobby objects to —— do not prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg into the uterus .. Instead, these methods prevent fertilization. Yet this scientific determination did not guide the five justices...

Alito concedes that Hobby Lobby's religious-based assertions are contradicted by science-based federal regulations ..

The Greens say they have a moral objection to 4 of the 20 FDA-approved birth control methods covered by Obamacare. They believe these contraceptives cause abortions (even though they don't) ..

The Supreme Court had to decide whether the RFRA applies not only to people but to private commercial enterprises, a determination no court has ever made.

07-05-14, 01:14 AM (EST)
45. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
Okay, sorry for the delay. Besides just regular life, I've been doing some reading on this that I wanted to finish before responding.

>I won't kid you, in my
>opinion it is a seriously
>flawed decision in several respects.
> I likened it above
>to the Dred Scot decision,
>and I really wasn't kidding.

In what way? Do you feel this decision enslaves people or do you think it just ranks up there with how supposedly horrible this decision is? Or something else?

> This decision allows a
>small group of people to
>impose their will on thousands
>of others, regardless of their
>beliefs.

Despite my beliefs to the contrary, my company imposes its will on me all the time.

>
>But, again, why do you favor
>this decision?
>
>Is it because you are politically
>opposed to the Affordable Healthcare
>Act and applaud anything that
>detracts from it? If
>so, very well, I disagree
>with that position but respect
>your right to hold to
>that position. Politics, then.

Well, I doubt it is any secret I feel Obamacare is horrible legislation, and that SCOTUS screwed up last year when they didn't strike it down. But honestly, that really didn't have much, if anything to do with this. Besides, I'm fairly certain this case wasn't about Obamacare specifically as much as it was about a regulation from it written by Sebelius, et. al.
>
>
>Is it because you somehow believe
>this decision has anything whatsoever
>to do with religious freedom?
> In that case I
>say quit kidding yourself, it
>has absolutely nothing to do
>with religious freedom. Religious
>freedom is about all our
>rights to hold to our
>own religious beliefs, whatever they
>may be. Religious freedom
>is not about being able
>to impose religious beliefs on
>others, or at least it
>hasn't been since slavery was
>abolished.

Whole-heartedly disagree. Freedom of religion has three aspects - belief, exercise and exclusion. This is certainly not the first time the SC has ruled on what this means in practice. And, unsurprisingly, the court has ruled differently over the years on how much right individuals have to exercise their beliefs. From things I've read it seems that to limit this exercise, the state has to have a compelling reason to do so. And it has to show that what it does puts the least amount of burden possible on those who might be compromised by their religious beliefs.

The third aspect of freedom of religion is that the state cannot compel persons to violate their belief system. Now, all rights have, for lack of a better word, limits. Especially when one right is in direct conflict with another. No right granted in the Constitution trumps all others. It's why Christian Scientist faithful are not legally entitled to just pray over their dying child without facing legal consequences for it.

For the purposes of this post, we'll say that free health care is a right. It's not, it's a commodity. But I digress. The SC had to decide what right was more important - the Green's and the Mennonite's right to practice their religion or the state's desire to provide all inhabitants of America, excuse me, citizens with stolen-whoops, sorry again - free, all encompassing healthcare. As I understand it, the SC decided the state did not utilize a method that would least burden the beliefs of the plaintiffs.
>

>If your opposition is, instead, a
>pro-life stance against abortion, and
>you see this decision as
>empowering you in your position,
>I would agree with you
>that it does. But
>in a most preposterous and
>unacceptable manner. This decision
>does not adhere to any
>reasonable definition of what is
>abortion, not in any legal
>or scientific or medical sense
>at any rate. It
>adheres, rather, to a wholly
>free-form definition of abortion, supported
>somewhat by a religious freedom
>position, which contends simply that
>abortion is whatever any individual
>may determine for him or
>herself to regard as abortion.

I was kind of with you all the way up till the end. Not agreeing, all the way, just understanding you. I did some reading on this, the drugs and procedures in question. Honestly, I don't know what the arguments for/against were made in the case. So I can't speak about that. But where I think you go wrong, here, is saying it was decided on a free-form definition of abortion. I would say, if anything, it was a free-form definition of life that was used. As I understand it, these people believe life begins at fertilization/conception and that purposefully stopping that is abortion.

>
>
>In terms of law, it is
>utterly insensible. In terms
>of the Dred Scot decision,
>it allows everyone to impose
>their will on everyone else
>-- provided they word it
>in the form of an
>opposition to abortion. I
>regard making left-hand turns through
>yellow lights to be a
>form of abortion, regardless of
>whether you agree you now
>and forever have to contend
>with this as a reality.

I'm sorry, but that is just absurd. At least on the surface it is. If you want to convince me otherwise, please expand, perhaps by comparing the winning opinions on these cases.

>
>
>If, on the other hand, or
>other other other whatever hand,
>you do regard corporations as
>actual people for other than
>civil court purposes and other
>minor legal distinctions, we will
>just have to agree to
>disagree; because I regard that
>position as moronic and though
>I would gladly hear arguments
>in favor of it I
>seriously doubt I would ever
>be compelled to agree.

I regard a corporation owned by one or a few people who hold similar beliefs as an extension of those people that can be operated in a manner that abides by and reflects the values of those people, within the confines of the law. Five people agreed with me.

07-05-14, 03:00 AM (EST)
46. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
... these people believe life begins at fertilization/conception and that purposefully stopping that is abortion.

First of all, let's get the English definitions straight:

abor·tion
noun \ə-ˈbȯr-shən\

: a medical procedure used to end a pregnancy and cause the death of the fetus.

Light and life by smokeysmom

Preventing a pregnancy where this is no life yet and ending a pregnancy where there is already life are two entirely different things.

07-05-14, 01:21 PM (EST)
47. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
LAST EDITED ON 07-05-14 AT 01:23 PM (EST)

A medical procedure. You mean like taking drugs or implanting a medical device?

ETA: You say fetus, I say life. Tomato, to-mah-to.

starshine 100 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-14, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail starshine Click to send private message to starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
Much as I may disagree with these people they would argue that preventing a pregnancy and ending a pregnancy are the same thing, both prevent a life from existing.

bondt007 3405 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-02-14, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
faith-baiting... good one.

There's only one way here, Newsome, as you know. But it's good to run into you every so often!

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

07-02-14, 04:43 PM (EST)
36. "RE: SCOTUS: People may hold and exercise their religious beliefs."
LAST EDITED ON 07-02-14 AT 04:47 PM (EST)

#9 is how I feel you're seeing this: that it doesn't touch you, so why worry?

#10 comes from a discussion I saw elsewhere regarding about this topic. (Yes, I'm cheating on you.) In it, the idea came up that we may be on the verge of a new profession: the corporate faith counselor. We have tax counselors and the like traveling around showing businesses how to save the maximum amount of money for their fields. So why not advise on which faith to corporately adopt in order to avoid the largest number of costly laws? And from that stemmed the catch-all of Predestination=Not My Fault, Calvinism.

Think about it.

#12 is also from that other discussion: one of the participants mentioned it.

I would go on, but I'm pretty sure I hit pointless on this in the initial post. You feel this is a good thing. I don't. Never the twain will meet. So all you need to do is get me into your business and then decide your faith means I get to spent a lifetime there working for no pay, without quitting.

Of course, I get to do the same, but I think you'll have a little more trouble...

Oh -- one last thing. You made one miscall. I am not masking my hatred for this SCOTUS ruling. I hate it. Outright. I would ram it through a log chipper if I could. I think it's going to do a lot of damage. But for so many others, all that injury is what their deity wants.

Kind of makes eternal torture feel like the moral choice.

07-01-14, 11:05 AM (EST)
19. "Hobby Hypocrites"
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/hobby-lobby-retirement-plan-invested-emergency-contraception-and-abortion-drug-makers

... while it was suing the government, Hobby Lobby spent millions of dollars on an employee retirement plan that invested in the manufacturers of the same contraceptive products the firm's owners cite in their lawsuit.

Are we still pretending this was about religious "freedom"?

kidflash212 4169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-01-14, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Hobby Hypocrites"
LAST EDITED ON 07-01-14 AT 11:45 AM (EST)

And most of the products sold in Hobby Lobby stores are manufactured in China, a communist country that mandates abortions. Exactly how "deeply held" are their religious views when making profits trumps those views?

ETA - I'd also like to know how the Supreme Court (at least the five justices that voted in favor of this decision) expect courts to determine whose religious convictions are "deeply held" and whose are not?

07-01-14, 11:54 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Hobby Hypocrites"
LAST EDITED ON 07-01-14 AT 11:58 AM (EST)

On the bright side, this decision gives virtually no guidance to lower courts in determining anything.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/06/hobby-lobby-wasnt-about-religious-freedom-it-was-about-abortion

07-01-14, 10:43 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Hobby Hypocrites"
You do understand how mutual funds work, right?

07-01-14, 11:01 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Hobby Hypocrites"
Yes, actually, I am invested in some myself. Takes some paying attention to keep invested in the things you favor, some steering, it's work.

07-03-14, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snidget Click to send private message to snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Hobby Hypocrites"
Yes, and most of the people I know who have ethical or moral objections to things strong enough to take something to the Supreme Court usually either invest in individual stocks, or use one of the mutual funds that aligns with their ethical viewpoint and monitors it closely to be sure it doesn't stray from the stated limits of what types of companies will be included. Googling shows plenty of mutual funds that cater to the conservative christian crowd. Just as there are plenty that cater to the extreme liberal crowd as well.

To me this isn't about morals or religion...it is about profit and power. When we need the profit we will ignore any and all morals and when we need to exert power and control we will wrap ourselves in whatever morals are handy to do that.

I mean that is how business works 95% of the time. I have a mentor/teacher who went into the business world from social work and health care where doing the right thing and having a lot of boundaries about what was ethical and moral control her work. She was shocked at the "well as long as it isn't illegal, go for it" attitude most of the business classes and people had. See Facebook's recent psychology experiment. From my researcher perspective (having gotten stuff through an IRB and written consent forms that meet the requirements) it seems really really sketchy what they did. You don't mess with people like that without their consent and without a bazillion warnings to the participant that a negative mood may cause them to harm themselves. I can see how from a business perspective it doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong by doing these little tests on people to get information you need for marketing purposes.

bondt007 3405 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-01-14, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
...why was it again, that there are about five and a half people left posting in OT? Oh yeah - I remember...

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

07-01-14, 11:30 AM (EST)
21. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
So where do you stand on same-sex corporate merger marriage? For that matter, can you tell me which gender any given corporation is? I'm guessing mostly males. Which kind of brings us back to the marriage issue...

Well, just buy the site and then find a religion which bans liberals. Isn't that most of them?

07-01-14, 11:43 AM (EST)
23. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
I'm more interested in who the half person is.

Birth defect? Fell across a railroad track? War injury?

Or was that aimed at gays?

07-01-14, 04:38 PM (EST)
27. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
It's probably a good thing he didn't say five and 3/5ths people.

07-02-14, 04:51 PM (EST)
37. "RE: SCOTUS: Corporations may hold and enforce their religious beliefs on others."
But then he could have just said Founding Fathers and made it all okay.

07-01-14, 12:45 PM (EST)
26. "Rick Santorum, future multi-millionaire."
Put 'Jesus', 'America', and 'Christian oppression' in the same concept and you've got yourself a hit.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rick-santorum-making-a-movie-about-hobby-lobby-decision/

2016 campaign: funded.

07-02-14, 04:23 PM (EST)
35. "Here we go."
What slippery slope?

http://www.mediaite.com/online/faith-leaders-request-exemption-from-lgbt-order-after-hobby-lobby-ruling/

This is a cliff.

07-03-14, 03:14 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Here we go."
Sorry just had to slip down this bit of satire.

http://www.atlbanana.com/supreme-court-upholds-little-caesars-right-to-feed-christian-employees-to-lions/

07-03-14, 03:30 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Here we go."
*fills out application*

*in other people's names*

*lots and lots of names*

07-03-14, 04:41 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Here we go."
Thank goodness there are so many other Kingfishes.

07-04-14, 03:27 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Here we go."
But I think there's going to be a major shortage of lions to go around.

07-04-14, 11:16 AM (EST)
44. "First Hobby Lobby, now Wheaton College"
High court blocks contraception mandate for Christian college.

But Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Elena Kagan responded to the brief ruling with a 16-page dissent that criticized the court for backtracking on its Hobby Lobby decision, which said that an accommodation by the Obama administration respects religious liberty.

“Those who are bound by our decisions usually believe they can take us at our word. Not so today,” Sotomayor wrote. “After expressly relying on the availability of the religious-nonprofit accommodation to hold that the contraceptive coverage requirement violates as applied to closely held for-profit corporations, the Court now, as the dissent in Hobby Lobby feared it might, retreats from that position.”

07-28-14, 11:56 AM (EST)
49. "By Christian definition, they're a legitimate faith."
http://www.mediaite.com/online/satanists-would-like-their-hobby-lobby-exemption-from-anti-abortion-laws-please/

So. Questions?

07-28-14, 03:00 PM (EST)
50. "RE: By Christian definition, they're a legitimate faith."
Speaking of the devil...

... in the details.

07-31-14, 04:15 PM (EST)
51. "RE: By Christian definition, they're a legitimate faith."
religious beliefs are so sacrosanct that they can even trump scientific fact

Good point. So -- So. Questions? --

Why didn't they just sue to have forms of abortion regarded as birth control? That would have really made the point. If forms of birth control can be regarded as abortion when they aren't, and we have no legal parameters any more on that issue, what the hell, go for it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •