The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I want to share this"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-23-08, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"I want to share this"
LAST EDITED ON 11-23-08 AT 10:00 PM (EST)

Moma received a copy of this in the mail yesterday. Seems none of us (my family) read the newspaper carefully (I don't get the paper myself). This is written by a local columnist about my Daddy.

(edited here to remove the link - it revealed too much - so I copied the article and pasted it here)

Old warriors from the Greatest Generation -- many still full of energy -- have an inspiring sense of duty and obligation

By Rusty Fowler
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It has been said that a sign of our aging is when we begin reading obituaries. It must be true, as I scan them every day -- but not all of them, only the veterans whose death notices are indicated by the American flag.

In particular I am drawn to read about the passing of veterans in their late 70s and 80s, as these are without question the remaining old warriors from the Greatest Generation. For me it is something like an unspoken duty to read about their lives and what they accomplished despite being robbed of their youth in a hell that few of us can imagine.

About three weeks ago, on Oct. 21, I recognized the picture of one of those old warriors, who went by the name of Red M_____ from ______ in ____ Tennessee. I talked with him once a year for the past several years when I went to _______ to buy firewood. He sold the best firewood, and even as late as the fall of 2007 he would help me load it. He must have been about 85 at the time.

It wasn't necessary to go all the way to ________ to get my firewood, but over the years I had developed a great deal of respect for this gentleman and enjoyed our conversations and his amiable personality.

Mr. M_____ would talk your ear off while he helped you load. Some years our conversation would get into the subject of World War II. I think he saw some of the worst of it, but he discussed it in a matter-of-fact way with no complaint and no claim of credit due for his sacrifice. One year I took my father-in-law (also a World War II veteran) with me to get wood. That year Mr. M_____ did not help me; neither did my father-in-law. They talked while I worked. They talked about the war and where they were and things they remembered. I wish I could have captured that day on video or audio tape.

Last month, like the years before, I called Mrs. M____ to tell her I was coming to get some wood. She told me Mr. M_____ was in the hospital but someone would be at the house. I had the pleasure of meeting his daughter and she told me about her father's illness. My wife and I loaded our wood -- still the best you could buy, split and neatly stacked like Mr. M_____ always did it.

Seeing the obituary for Mr. M_____ -- whose given name, I learned, was _____ M_____, and who had received two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star for his military service -- a couple of weeks later moved me to write this piece.

These old soldiers, once young and brave, are passing away from us rapidly. Their spirit and strong sense of duty and obligation are uplifting reminders to me, and I hope to you, regarding our strength as a people and our ability to endure and eventually overcome the worst adversity for the sake of our liberty and freedom.

Today, on Veterans Day, I hope you will join me in remembering the debt we all owe to the spirit of Mr. M_____ and all his comrades in arms, past and present.

I remember talking with him & his wife when they came out & Daddy was in the hospital. I didn't know tho that he wrote for the paper.

This is just one of the good memories; I wanted to share it with ya'll.

(It's been a month ad 4 days. )

Sharnina Special

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I want to share this CTgirl 11-23-08 1
   RE: I want to share this maroonclowns mom 11-23-08 2
 RE: I want to share this aquariaqueen 11-23-08 3
 RE: I want to share this Starshine 11-23-08 4
 RE: I want to share this Silvergirl1 11-24-08 5
 Salute! dabo 11-24-08 6
 RE: I want to share this cahaya 11-24-08 7
 RE: I want to share this newsomewayne 11-24-08 8
 RE: I want to share this kingfish 11-24-08 9
 RE: I want to share this agman 11-24-08 10
 RE: I want to share this tallgirl 11-24-08 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-08, 09:55 AM (EST)
1. "RE: I want to share this"
What a wonderful tribute to your father on Veterans Day! I know how much Veterans Day means to you so this must have been very special to read.

Lit up by Agman

maroonclowns mom 1102 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-23-08, 10:04 AM (EST)
2. "RE: I want to share this"

Thanks for sharing that. Very nice.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-23-08, 02:57 PM (EST)
3. "RE: I want to share this"
What a fantastic column and honor.

Keep your daddy in your heart, Jbug!!!!

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-08, 03:04 PM (EST)
4. "RE: I want to share this"
Thank you JBug.

Your Father touched so many lives, and just for being a good, hardworking man.

A lovely article

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 00:23 AM (EST)
5. "RE: I want to share this"

Wow, that is a really nice article Jbug. I'm glad that reporter remembered your father.

Agman, 2008

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 00:52 AM (EST)
6. "Salute!"
And a thank you for the sacrifice and service rendered.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 01:46 AM (EST)
7. "RE: I want to share this"
This is a deeply touching tribute of remembrance for your father, a man of service to his firewood customers, his family and his country. Salute.

Light and life by smokeysmom

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 07:57 AM (EST)
8. "RE: I want to share this"
<<hugs>>

Thanks for sharing, Jbug. I know you are very proud of your daddy and that article was a wonderful tribute to a great man.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 08:15 AM (EST)
9. "RE: I want to share this"
Very nice, Leggs. Those guys deserve our respect and reverence. I too wish I could have been in on that conversation.

I have an In-law that I usually see once or twice a year. He was with the 101st Airborne on D-Day, he went over in one of those gliders.

He wasn't with Easy company (of Band of Brothers fame) but he participated in the same campaigns. And he loves to talk about it, not who he killed or how many dead bodies he saw, but what they did, the places he was, the people, stuff like that. I always pump him for more.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-08, 01:30 PM (EST)
10. "RE: I want to share this"
I can't believe I missed this. What a beautiful tribute to your father Llegs. I can't think of a better way to honor him. I know you and your father were very close and this must really make you feel good. ((hugs))

tallgirl 573 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-24-08, 03:24 PM (EST)
11. "RE: I want to share this"
Thanks for sharing. It is sad that we are quickly loosing that generation.

Complements of Snidget 2008

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •