The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-25-08, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I am in full "planning mode" for my son's Big Number 5, and it will likely be the last "big" party we have for him in a while. I'm in the middle of a very big "political" decision about who to invite and not invite. I would love to just invite everyone and hope that there will be declines. But I'm also terrified at the thought of 30 children, plus parents, all coming to my house.

When I was young, I don't recall parties being such a big deal. They really are now, and I'm surprised at how young it becomes such a big deal. We obviously had a big party for his first birthday - but that was mainly family, etc. But we started getting invited to "bigtime" parties for children who were turning 3.

Times like this make me happy I only have one child.

1. Do you/did you have birthday parties for your kids?

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests?

3. Do you/did you ever feel slighted at not being invited to a party?

Bravie is my favorite.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frisky 09-25-08 1
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 2
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Snidget 09-25-08 3
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 13
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... aquariaqueen 09-25-08 4
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 14
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... LostAddict 09-25-08 5
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 16
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... grit 09-25-08 6
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 17
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... grit 09-25-08 21
           RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 23
           RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Spanky68 09-25-08 30
               RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... grit 09-25-08 32
                   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Spanky68 09-25-08 40
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Max Headroom 09-25-08 7
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... grit 09-25-08 8
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Max Headroom 09-25-08 11
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frodis 09-25-08 15
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Max Headroom 09-25-08 37
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 18
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Ahtumbreez 09-25-08 9
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 22
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... grit 09-25-08 24
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frodis 09-25-08 10
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Max Headroom 09-25-08 12
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frodis 09-25-08 19
           RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 25
               RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frodis 09-25-08 28
           RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Max Headroom 09-25-08 36
               RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... frodis 09-25-08 38
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... J Slice 09-25-08 20
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 26
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Breezy 09-25-08 27
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 31
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Spanky68 09-25-08 29
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... samboohoo 09-25-08 33
       RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Spanky68 09-25-08 41
           RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Ahtumbreez 09-25-08 42
               RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Spanky68 09-25-08 45
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... byoffer 09-25-08 34
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... mrc 09-25-08 35
   RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Ahtumbreez 09-25-08 43
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... greenmonstah 09-25-08 39
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... cahaya 09-25-08 44
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... cqvenus 09-26-08 46
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Coconut 09-26-08 47
 RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edi... Starshine 09-26-08 48

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 10:50 AM (EST)
1. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
1. Yes
2. Yes, close friends only
3. Yes, but only if other friends were invited and I wasn't, not because I like the other person.

My advice is to do it off-site. Do you have an indoor playland or something where you live? Movie theatre parties are good, too, or even McDonalds or Chucky Cheese. Yes, it's noisy and it's expensive, but by the time you finish buying everything for home you'll find it's just as much. And it's so much easier. No clean up. Just have the parents drop off and pick up at the party. These places often have a party host, too, so that the parents can also enjoy the birthday. Baby boo is only going to be five once. If you do it at home, you won't get to enjoy watching him in his glory.

If you absolutely can't do that, then I would limit to maybe five of his close friends.

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

09-25-08, 10:59 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
We did Chuck E Cheese for his third birthday with only a few friends.

We did the indoor play facility last year for number 4.

This year, the plan is my house for a couple of reasons. One of which is making an effort to cut costs somewhat.

I handmade the invitations. (You'll need to visit blogland to catch a glimpse.) We are doing a pirate theme, and I am doing a "tresure hunt" in our backyard. I have the option of using the neighborhood pavilion/playground for backup - there is just no bathroom there, which means we might have to shuttle someone back up the hill to our house. Minor inconvenience, but still one.

There are 22 classmates, two neighbors, two cousins, plus about four other little friends. I could actually get away with cutting the two cousins and several classmates. I just don't really "want" to exclude anyone.

Last year we had 15 kids. I'm okay with 15.

Bravie is my favorite.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 11:01 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
But Boo!

Don't know you know your child's self worth, good looks, financial stability, and every other aspect of the child's future depends on each party not only being bigger and more expensive than each of their own previous parties but every party in your state and every state your state touches. Skip even one major party occasion and they will be ruined for life.

Apparently the parents I know don't love their children or their future enough. Usually just a dozen or fewer kids running around the backyard while the adults grill and have a few beverages.

"Indecision 2008: The Long Flat Seemingly Endless Bataan Death March to The White House" (April 23, 2008) --Jon Stewart

09-25-08, 11:32 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Hence the reason we signed up for this daycare as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

I keed, I keed.

There is a group of us whose children are very close. So I do look forward to this particular group getting together - especially since four of them went to a fancier daycare back in January.

Bravie is my favorite.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-25-08, 11:01 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
A rule of thumb that I have heard of is, the age of the child is the number of children to invite. So 5 children invited.

It really does center around the intent of the party....if you want him to get lots of presents, like I think most people do, they invite more than enough guests. If not, limit to those who who really would want to celebrate with him.

JSlice special!!

09-25-08, 11:34 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I have heard that rule of thumb and would probably do it if I had started that way.

Presents are not a consideration. I think that "feeling like you have to give a gift" is a reason a lot of parents don't come.

Bravie is my favorite.

LostAddict 420 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-25-08, 11:03 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Yes.

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests? Not really because I've learned usually about half decline.

I don't, but my daughter does. There are some girls in her class that she wants to be friends with (that I don't like), and is always upset when she doesn't get invited to their parties. But hey, she invites them to hers, they usually come, and they usually bring nice gifts. lol.

We usually hold her parties in our church "educational building." It has a kitchen, plenty of room, tables & chairs. It also saves me from freaking out cleaning my house to get ready. After it doesn't take that long to clean because everything is so organized. And it's free. We've also done the skating rink thing, the movie thing, the Chuck-E-Cheez thing. The best for me is still at the church because it's convenient for most people (right in the middle of town), I can set up days in advance, and like I said, FREE.

09-25-08, 11:36 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
We attended a party back in April at the Fire Station, that was free. The firemen even made the goodie bags. That was kind of cool, but I have already decided it might be something to do at a later age.

Bravie is my favorite.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-25-08, 11:05 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
1. Do you/did you have birthday parties for your kids? Yes. In fact we have recently been informed that we are the meanest parents in the world because we are unwilling to spend more for DD#2's Sweet 16 party than we did for DD#1.

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests? Yes. There's a trick to that, though. Figure out your max you're willing to host. Figure out your A-list of guests along with an alternate guest list. Send the invitations early and set an early RSVP date. Every time you get a "no" have the child invite someone from the alternate list. We once had a party where we didn't do that and most of the guests declined for some reason or another. The birthday girl was sad because there were so few guests at the party.

3. Do you/did you ever feel slighted at not being invited to a party? Only if the person is considered to be a close friend. (DD is currently sulking because someone we thought she was close with didn't invite her to her Sweet 16.) Otherwise it's just a relief because we don't have to buy a present.

I got sliced!

09-25-08, 11:40 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Thank goodness someone has taken my "meanest mommie" crown away.

Recently a mohter asked me if we were going to "Jane's" party, to which I had no clue about. Turns out, it was a "girls only" party. The mother felt horrible, and I felt kind of bad for Conner at first. But he knew nothing about it, so it turned out just fine.

We have already discussed not "talking" about it too much in class. And I will likely send cupcakes to class for his actual birthday.

That's an interesting concept about the limited list. One of the teachers this morning said they could "hold" the invitations and give them directly to the parents. I think I'm just going to paperclip them to the back of the weekly parent's bulletin. That way the "kid's decision" doesn't come into play.

Bravie is my favorite.

09-25-08, 11:45 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I don't know how you got your hands on the crown - I've been in possession of it for 17 years now!

We had a huge blowup this week with the younger one. "You're the meanest parents ever! You don't understand how important this soccer game is to me! I'm almost 16 - I should be allowed to make my own decisions!" Turns out it was all for nothing because it's going to rain on Saturday. The girl better apologize is all I can say...

I got sliced!

09-25-08, 11:46 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I was a mean mommie because I didn't let him watch TV one night - it happened to be BB Finale night and Biggest Loser premier night.

Bravie is my favorite.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 12:11 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Just stop it.

I have been the meanest parent ever since about 2 years ago. Oldest DS was in Toys R Us (allegedly to pick out a toy for another kid's party) when he saw this super-spiffy, uber-cool Star Wars Lego kit with about a bazillion pieces. I took one look at it and could imagine parts of it scattered all over the house, finding them for years...and I said no before I even realized it was about $80.00. Two strikes.

DS then screamed to the heavens that I was the meanest parent in history and that he HATED me.

You are just jealous.

Slice has made my siggie Mangalicious

09-25-08, 12:17 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
You didn't read my post very well. I've been the meanest parent in the world for 17 years! I'm sorry but your paltry 2 years just doesn't cut it.

I got sliced!

09-25-08, 03:03 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
*raises hand*

*waves it to get your attention*

Excuse me. Mrs Grit, could I get a note from you for my son saying that YOU are meaner than me?

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 11:15 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
*points and laughs*

Organizing birthday parties? For my kids? That's DW's job.

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

09-25-08, 11:16 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
**WHACK!**

I got sliced!

I am SO e-mailing your wife! Neener neener!

09-25-08, 11:28 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"

All right, guess I should answer Boo's questions. They're good ones, after all.

Yes. DD is too young, but DS has a long and proud tradition of birthday parties.

Yes. DS currently likes sleepovers, and the last one had 6 guests, which was a large, barely-manageable group. They also went bowling, which was moderately expensive but entertaining to watch.

Yes. And so has DS.

There! Feel better now, grit?

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-25-08, 11:34 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Mr. Fro and I were talking about how the family party that we had for Little Fro's baptism was the best party we've ever done.

Mr. Fro stopped for a moment, and then said, "you know, it's because I had nothing to do with it."

I agreed with him. And he was right, I did do everything. From choosing the date and restaurant, the menu, the guest list, all the way through the thank-you's.

He has good intentions and he always tries to help organize things, but he just manages to make things complicated, and I always feel like I have to give his ideas due respect even if I think they're not good. He doesn't even really care that much, but he wants to feel helpful, so he helps, and we butt heads.

So, now, I'm the party planner. He cleans the house beforehand. I'm okay with this arrangement.

09-25-08, 12:53 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
My wife has been pondering getting a RTVW login. I wonder if she chose "frodis" and didn't tell me. She could've written that post.... except that I admit I'm useless when it comes to party details, and I've learned to stay out of the way when she's in party-planning mode.

09-25-08, 11:41 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Your day is coming. I'm not sure for what yet, but it's coming.

Bravie is my favorite.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 11:22 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I have a friend that goes all out for her twins parties. This year she did a beach theme. She had sand trucked in, volleyball nets set up, campfires, a cabana and rented a snowcone machine. They are 4. I just shake my head.

Bre was born in January. I got lucky most years, the weather was too bad to get out so it kept parties to only the people closest to her.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq

09-25-08, 11:45 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Reminds me of Jon & Kate's third birthday party for their kids.

The sand thing is a little much. We have a nice swingset in our backyard with plenty to do. We also have a moon bounce and possible access to a free one. And I think I have enough activities planned - especially the treasure hunt. I can also borrow picnic tables from the pavilion.

The campfire thing is reminding me of a future theme. One of our neighbors just did a "camp out" theme party with only a handful. I'm thinking this would be good when it comes down to inviting just the boys.

Bravie is my favorite.

09-25-08, 11:49 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
A campfire is good for girls as well as boys. DD #1 had a campfire at her Sweet 16 and it was a hit. Well, she referred to it as a bonfire. I can't blame her - my campfires tend to get a little, how should I say this?, um, out of control.

I got sliced!

I'm a closet pyromaniac...

09-25-08, 11:26 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
We've only had to have one birthday party thus far, since the Little Fro is only 1. We had it at the house, and it was all family and her Godparents, who are friends of ours. I didn't even send invitations, we just did phone calls. I actually felt kind of awful about that, but because her birthday is in April and that's the time of year when my family travels extensively for work, it took a while to figure out a date when everyone would be in town. We had to call everyone to check the date anyway so we just did the invites that way.

Anyway.

We had an extensive make-your-own sandwich bar and I made a cake that looked like Dorothy the Dinosaur. It really did look like Dorothy, I was proud. Mr. Fro was worried that if I didn't succeed at the cake that I'd be a horrible moody mess for the whole party and he was probably right.

I was exhausted when the whole thing was done, but it was fun.

Next year Mr. Fro wants to use the clubhouse at the park district which is down the street from us. We'll see.

For myself, my parents had three birthday parties for us. 1, 6 and 10. 10 was a sleepover. That's it. For my 6th birthday party, I invited my classmates. I was mad when the other girl with my same first name took the cupcake with the "J' on it. That's really all I remember about it. Sad, right?

I think that if you're inviting classmates, you really have to invite all of them and hope that a bunch wash out. I know he's 5 but how sad would it be to be the classmates not invited when you know that everyone else did? That kind of crap starts early.

09-25-08, 11:31 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Do you cater? I think you should host DD's next party.

You even have experience with parties for little girls.

09-25-08, 11:43 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Certainly. As long you know that if you pick a difficult cake I will be moody for the whole party.

I highly recommend the make-your-own-sandwich bar. Very easy, everyone gets something they like, it's kind of like an activity, and versatile leftovers!

Here's the cake:

09-25-08, 11:53 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Awesome!!!

I think you saw Conner's racetrack cake from last year. I just loaded a pic only to remember that I don't want to post it since it has our last name on it.

I totally remember the feeling of "what if this cake sucks?"

This year he wants an ice cream cake, and I have a treasure chest decoration already.

Bravie is my favorite.

09-25-08, 12:04 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Your racetrack cake was fantastic. I remember telling my SIL that she should do a Cars cake like that for my nephew, whose birthday is a couple of months after Conner's.

What's funny about the cake possibly sucking is that it didn't even enter my mind, I didn't even think about that until afterward, when Mr. Fro mentioned that he was worried.

The best part was that when Little Fro saw it, she pointed at the cake and said "Dor!" so I was just happy that she knew it was Dorothy. Guests who don't watch children's TV thought it was a turtle.

09-25-08, 12:50 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
That's a great cake, Fro.

My wife has cake-decorating tools (? - not sure what else you'd call them) and she makes a custom cake for every birthday party. And like you, she agonizes over whether the cake is "good enough". I always remind her that the target audience wants to eat the cake much more than they want to look at it.

And her cakes usually look good. If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll see if I can find a pic of one of them and post it.

09-25-08, 01:42 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I think I'd really, really like your DW.

I, too, have cake decorating tools. They are stored in a blue-green tackle box that is specifically for cake decorating tools. There are specific spots for all of the frosting tips, little holes where the color-gel tubs are stored, and plenty of space for spatulas, bags, toothpicks, and little specialty jars of cake glitter and other fancy schmancy stuff.

Boo would love it.

My SIL talked me into taking a cake decorating class with her several years ago. It was an inexpensive class, until I saw, and had to have, that tackle box and all of the goodies within.

The class (and tackle box) are only coming in handy now, 6 years after the class. In the 6 years between the class and now, I've made exactly three cakes: a small chocolate layer cake filled with raspberry and decorated with frosting roses, a Wrigley Field cake for my brother's birthday, and Dorothy.

Still, I figure there are a lot of cakes in my future so it wasn't a total waste.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 11:44 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I have no children, and when I do, I pray they don't end up with a crappy summer birthday like mine.

There is no indignity like inviting 15 people to your party, only to ave 3 show up. After you spent the whole morning decorating your own awesome cake which nobody ends up eating.

That was the last time I even bothered with a party (I was 10) that wasn't my Bat Mitzvah.

Thankfully, when I turned 21, I had a gaggle of friends who were kind enough to throw me a joint birthday party with one of them. It was an amazing party (I manned the grill the entire time). So many people showed up with fancy beers as gifts, the company was fantastic, and I know I'll never have a party that good again.

Super happy action blog time!

09-25-08, 11:55 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
My "surprise" 30th was pretty awesome too.

Bravie is my favorite.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 12:00 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
1. Do you/did you have birthday parties for your kids? Yep but nothing big, I would never consider inviting 30 kids. Never.

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests? No real limit, just DD's close friends at the time. I think the most she had at a party once was 7 girls and 1 boy. For her party tomorrow, she has 4 girls coming to sleepover, she invited 5.

Nope, never. Course back in my day, kids didn't have the big super parties like they do now.

If you would rather not have a big party, then why have one? There's enough stress in the world, why cause yourself more? IMHO The child gets more out of a small intimate party of close friends than a big bash with a crowd.

Brokenhearted in green and gold.

09-25-08, 12:16 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I think I probably thrive on the stress. LOL.

I would do the party and would handle it if everyone came. I guess my biggest thing is the hard feelings - especially if Conner experienced backlash from it.

There is one particular child in his class who seems to be a handful. From what I can gather, he and Conner get along fine. But I know there are other issues with other children. He likely won't come, I guess I just don't want to exclude him.

Bravie is my favorite.

09-25-08, 12:05 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
weird you should ask this now. We're having a party for our oldest this weekend. He is turning 8 and wants an Indiana Jones party.

Lovely Bride planned it so that I would play Indy and even got me the hat and whip at a costume shop. I haven't shaved this week to get that stubbly look:

And a friend loaned me his leather jacket. So I will get pretty close, I think.

We're having a treasure hunt. We're going to get some cheap toilet paper and wrap the kids up like mummies. We're doing a gross-out thing where they reach into a bowl and feel "worms" (cold spaghetti) and "monkey brains" (I don't remember what she's using for that).

1. Do you/did you have birthday parties for your kids? um...see above

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests?we did at first. but now we invite his whole 2nd grade class so that he gets invited to theirs later

3. Do you/did you ever feel slighted at not being invited to a party? yes. Our oldest didn't get invited to many parties when he was in 1st grade and we wondered if he was being excluded. He has been invited to a lot more since we started inviting everyone.

LB is always stressed when we have tons of peeps over at our house. So we've started having the big parties at the local park. Some are free and some cost less than $50. That is more than worth it for not having the stress of getting the house guest-worthy for a party.

I think part of the age-creep toward having younger "big" parties comes from younger siblings wanting what the big ones get and parents not wanting to say no. And the other part of it seems to be parents wanting to "one up" each other.

09-25-08, 12:18 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Hubba Hubba Spanky!

One thing I have decided for our treasure hunt is to have the box contain pre-made bags, so that everyone gets equal treasure.

Bravie is my favorite.

09-25-08, 03:06 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I've been told I look like him. But I am a lot younger. We'll see if I can get close to that look without the makeup professionals to help.

Agman resized my siggie

09-25-08, 03:42 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
rowrrrrrrr

09-25-08, 05:20 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I feel so objectified now. You're treating me like I am a piece of meat. You only want me for my body.

which is pretty funny because before meeting LB, I would have paid you to say that.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 12:45 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
My older kids are getting past the party thing (DD just wants a couple of friends to sleep over and watch movies and DS doesn't want anything). The younger son (3) hasn't really had more than a family party.

But since the older kids have gone through the bday party ages I still have 2 cents to give.

My ex is all about outsourcing that sort of thing. When DD was 5 we booked into this Tea with Barbie thing that was run out of a house. Tons of costumes for the kids to get all dressed up. Nail polish, makeup, etc. Then they sat down and drank tea (actually most had lemonade). It was very expensive. DS had one bday party that was at a Medievel Times show. The whole thing was in the dark, and I don't think the kids talked to each other the whole time!

Ex also buys cakes, loot bags, etc.

I am all for the simple parties, as is DW. I have always made cakes for my kids bdays. For DD's swimming party the cake was all decorated up with fish. The at-home party that involved home games (pin the tail, pass the parcel, etc) was prolly the one that was most enjoyable for us and most fun for DD. DW hits the dollar stores and made up cheap lootbags that were actually a lot of fun.

Good luck with it. I hope your son has fun, and that you do too!

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 12:49 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
Taking my Three for Thursday, eh? *squints*

1. Do you/did you have birthday parties for your kids? For first b-day, yes.

2. Do you/did you limit the number of guests? Sort of. We had a limited circle of friends at the time, so we invited two families, with two children each.

3. Do you/did you ever feel slighted at not being invited to a party? No.

A Slice of Manga

09-25-08, 03:51 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
mcr - you could do a five for friday thing this week

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 02:12 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

Invite who you want, apologize to the rest. (That last part is optional)

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-08, 03:55 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"

Yes, but at home with family (and with a large family in Malaysia, that would sometimes be quite a crowd). We've never had a birthday party where we invited friends and neighbors, although we've been invited to a few.

Because we only involve the family, no. Anyone was welcome and we'd know in advance how many of the family to expect.

Nope! In fact, I get kind of nervous about the idea of my DD being invited to one kids' birthday party after another where parents are expected to attend, too. I think some parents make too much of a to-do about it.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-08, 10:30 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
i have/do have bday parties for my kids. the 1st bday is a HUGE deal. after that, it's the kids' aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents only. til age 5. then it will probably be just our immediate family doing something special that the kid wants to do.

so far, my kids are 1, 2, and SS is 5.

for SS, we had a HUGE 1st bday party. then minor parties up through 5. this year he turned 5 and his parents took him to the zoo, just the 3 of them.

for DD, 1st bday was as big as we could do given that her bday is feb so her party was indoor at my in-laws (bigger house) while it swirled snow outside.

her 2nd we just had here and it was only her aunts/uncles/cousins and grandparents.

DS just turned 1 in aug and we had the biggest.party.ever. we had a pig roast, 2 live bands, and fireworks. it was awesome. we invited everyone we knew. due to proximity, about 200 ended up passing through that day (my rather large family lives too far, so only a handful of them came. which means the bulk were DHs fam and lots of our friends).

but like i said, that was just for the 1st. after that we scale it back and invite only aunts/uncles/cousins. of course, my children have 7 aunts/uncles, plus their spouses, and 7 1st cousins (9 grandchildren on that side). so it is kind of 'big' in that way. but after or at 5, we will have it just be that kid's Special Day.

~ cq

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-08, 12:10 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
1. Yes, but they're mainly family affairs. Since the boys' birthdays are 10 days apart (in January), we usually just have one party, although I imagine that will change when they get old enough to care about that. We have one family with whom we're close, and we invite them plus Mr. Coco's family. My family lives too far away to be invited.

Actually we've never been invited to any birthday party; I guess it's just not that big here. The kids celebrate at daycare with their daycare friends (our daycare provider buys a cake and presents and balloons), so there isn't a need to include those kids at the home party.

2. So yes, we do limit the guest list. I don't know how that will change when Dominou starts school next fall, but I imagine we'll keep the number low. I'm all for small boys, but I think my upper limit is in the single digits nonetheless, especially when I'm supervising.

3. Not so far. I certainly remember being excluded from parties when I was in elementary school and being very hurt, though.

Coconut: Taking the grammer police to a whole new level.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-08, 02:37 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Birthday Parties - Children Edition"
I know it happened three months ago but questions 2 and 3 reminded me of this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7479758.stm

Be grateful you aren't Swedish!

J Slice what a cool lady

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •