The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

snowflake2 1499 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-16-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snowflake2 Click to send private message to snowflake2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 12:31 PM (EST)

Antonia was given the assignment to meet with Jennifer(Season Two) for lunch, so Jennifer could persuade Antonia that she needs to develop a relationship with her father. The meeting came to an abrupt end when Antonia experienced dental problems while eating. I am not sure exactly what happened...either Antonia lost a filling or cracked her tooth. (If I am not mistaken, Antonia herself described it as "I lost my cavity!!" LOL)

Then later we see Iyanla telling Antonia it's very "interesting" that Antonia's tooth just happened to break while she happened to be talking about "Daddy". Give me a break!! I'm glad Antonia didn't buy into this "deep, mystical insight" IV was providing...like the Universe made Antonia's tooth break as a sign pointing to her resistance.

What I did find interesting (and appalling) was how Jennifer was smiling inanely and almost laughing when it happened...how rude!

Also, Jennifer wanted Antonia to imagine her "Daddy" sitting in his jail cell, trying to sleep at night while not knowing where his little girl is. Excuse me, didn't Antonia's Dad abandon the family before he finally landed in jail? Apparently, he had no worries about where his "little girl" was then!

On a sidenote, say what you will about Antonia...I am thankful that so far she does not burst into tears every 20 seconds like all the other HG's. All the fake crying is really grating on my nerves.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... DedeV 05-16-06 1
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... snowflake2 05-16-06 2
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... NicNac 05-16-06 3
       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... annie828 05-16-06 4
           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... greendiamonds 05-16-06 11
           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... petmama 05-16-06 14
           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Rowan Bailey 05-18-06 30
 RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... eire_heart74 05-16-06 5
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... snowflake2 05-16-06 6
       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Lanna42 05-16-06 9
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... bentherdunthat 05-16-06 7
 RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... sillybear 05-16-06 8
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... bentherdunthat 05-16-06 10
       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Juliejo 05-16-06 12
           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... SeasonedRefinement 05-16-06 13
               RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... tac_2 05-16-06 15
                   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Juliejo 05-16-06 16
                   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Shazbot 05-16-06 17
                       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... horsewhisperer 05-16-06 18
               RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Labyrinth 05-16-06 19
                   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... bentherdunthat 05-16-06 20
                       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... beckettrep 05-16-06 21
                           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Labyrinth 05-16-06 22
                           RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... snowflake2 05-16-06 23
                               RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Labyrinth 05-16-06 24
 RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... 26mitogo 05-17-06 25
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Baxtera 05-17-06 26
       RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... GoodnightLittleBear 05-17-06 28
 RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... BBinOR 05-17-06 27
   RE: Antonia's tooth broke because s... Shazbot 05-18-06 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DedeV 155 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-16-06, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DedeV Click to send private message to DedeV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Not that it matters, But Jennifer was from season 2...I think her losing her cavity is priceless!!! Too freaking funny.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-16-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snowflake2 Click to send private message to snowflake2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Oops...you are absolutely correct, don't know why I said Season One...<<editing now>>

NicNac 131 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-16-06, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NicNac Click to send private message to NicNac Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I haven't seen todays episode yet but am wondering why Iyanla is so hung up on the "father" thing. Personally, my daughters father chose to disappear from her life when she was 3 (she's now 24) and I truthfully believe that her life has been better without him. It seems to me that Iyanla believes that no matter what the Old Mans story is, if he is missing from your life you suffer irreparable damage. So all you girls out there with absent fathers, go visit them in jail or the corner bar and your life will magically come together and you will find everlasting happiness! WTF?!

annie828 0 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "New Member"

05-16-06, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail annie828 Click to send private message to annie828 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I haven't seen the show yet, but Iyanla is full of crap with this ... "the almighty universe" caused that tooth to break because of resistance.

Hey Iyanla, I broke half my tooth for biting into a Jawbreaker awhile back....did the universe do that to me because I was resisting something in my life....oops I forgot to call out to the universe so "nothing" ever happens to me!

Maybe I should consult with a weejee (sp..lol) board before I start my day. Maybe if I call out to the universe....I will win the lottery tonight...I might WIN!

Oh, blow it out your A$$ Iyanla!

greendiamonds 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-16-06, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greendiamonds Click to send private message to greendiamonds Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I agree with you,about this whole "universe thing",I think it's a new age religion,personally I think it's related to the budda I see outside the SO house*
And Antonia...........everything about her annoys me!

petmama 494 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-16-06, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail petmama Click to send private message to petmama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Years ago, my father lost a filling eating candy corn. After getting a new filling, he started calling it "$30 candy"!

Rowan Bailey 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-18-06, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rowan%20Bailey Click to send private message to Rowan%20Bailey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Everything is energy, that is in alignment with the law of physics. I am sure we all know people who are so negative that bad things always happen to them. This isn't always the case, bad things happen to positive people as well, but how they react to the same circumstances will always obtain a different result.

Anotnia breaking her tooth is in perfect alignment with her resistance to acknowledging what is really the cause of most of her issues, having a father that wasn't present. Energetically, Antonia's tooth took the attention away from the reason she was there to discuss the impact of her lack of relationship with her father.

She is so full of crap, she doesn't deserve to be in the SO house. She is disrespectful to IV and the only reason she hasn't been called out I believe is that IV feels very motherly towards her and is trying to be a more productive maternal influence. If Rhonda was her coach, she would have been called out a long time ago.

You can poo poo the message of the tooth, but that still doesn't mean that there isn't truth to it....

fyi wee jee is ouija board....but great phonetic translation!

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-16-06, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I think although it was nice of Jennifer to want to share her story about her own father, the two men are very different. I think it was clear that Jennifer's father in the past regretted what happened. She had more contact with him (probably hearing things from both her mom and sister) than Antonia with her dad.

I think Jennifer was a little off base saying the comment about think about him alone in his cell not knowing where you are. Antonia isn't even close to that stage of forgiveness. Let's not push it with guilt comments lke that!

05-16-06, 01:28 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
eire_heart wrote: <<I think although it was nice of Jennifer to want to share her story about her own father, the two men are very different. I think it was clear that Jennifer's father in the past regretted what happened. She had more contact with him (probably hearing things from both her mom and sister) than Antonia with her dad.>>
--------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I don't think the two situations are the same, either...I mean, technically, Jennifer's Dad didn't voluntarily "abandon" the family. He was living with them (and I assume using at least part of the money he made from selling drugs to support them) at the time of his arrest...and he really didn't have the option of telling the agents who busted him, "Hmmmm, jail? No thanks, I think I'll just stay here with my family."

Lanna42 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-16-06, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Iyanla knew EXACTLY how Antonia felt about contacting her Father and she knew what she was setting Jennifer up for.They are not in the same situation.They should leave Antonia alone about it.Iyanla has some kind of Freudian Daddy complex theory about Antonia and she is going to hound her about it to the bitter end.Now Antonia's TEETH are sending messages about her Daddy.Give me a break.Although the "I think I lost a cavity" comment was priceless.Maybe she'll put it under her pillow and Iyanla the tooth fairy will bring a gold one to replace it.Then she can look AND talk like a bad rapper.Then she can send her a bill for it just so she gets the point."You see Antonia even the tooth fairy costs you money."Tsk Tsk.

bentherdunthat 518 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-16-06, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 01:40 PM (EST)

>I think although it was nice
>of Jennifer to want to
>share her story about her
>own father, the two men
>are very different. I
>think it was clear that
>Jennifer's father in the past
>regretted what happened. She
>had more contact with him
>(probably hearing things from both
>her mom and sister)
>than Antonia with her dad.
>
>
>I think Jennifer was a little
>off base saying the comment
>about think about him alone
>in his cell not knowing
>where you are. Antonia
>isn't even close to that
>stage of forgiveness. Let's
>not push it with guilt
>comments lke that!

I agree with you and Snowflake. Even Antonia said in confessional "Other than that (their dad's serving time) our similarities are few and far between" (or something like that).

I have to admit though,while I didn't find it funny she broke her tooth, I did laugh because her first impulse was "I gotta' call my mom". Antonia hasn't learned thing one or changed a bit since she's been in the SO house, so trying to push her into a relationship with an absentee father is MORE than premature.
Antonia is still all about Antonia, and until that changes she isn't going to be open to any other point of view.
BUT I'm with you on the crying thing Snowflake. Geez that crap gets old.

sillybear 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-16-06, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sillybear Click to send private message to sillybear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I think Antonia was rude with Jennifer so if Jennifer found the lost tooth amusing I can't say I blame her.Antonia did not have an open mind at all.When she told Iyanla about the meeting she said something different.Antonia was BSing Iyanla.I think that Iyanla should have a talk with Antonias mom.It is soon going to be time for Antonia's mommy to let her stand on her own 2 feet.She probably knows her father is not in a position to bail her out of jams so there would be no point in a relationship with him.I don't think the starting over house is going to help her grow up in the short time they have left.

05-16-06, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
You're absolutely right. As soon as Iyanla told her she was meeting with Jennifer and that it was about her father, Antonia shut down. She went to lunch with the intention of shutting Jennifer out.

Juliejo 477 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Juliejo Click to send private message to Juliejo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I dont' blame Antonia for the way she behaved. She told everyone from day one that she wasnt interested in a relationship with her father. So read my lips what does it take for Iguana to get it?
Antonia broke the filling in her tooth and there is no way that was intentional, it just happened. That kind of thing does. But, if Iguana wants to make it like Antonia was able to do it right then, okay
Where was her father when he was breaking the law and getting himself in prison? He sure wasnt' thinking of Antonia.
I get it that she is young and immature and doesnt always use the best judgement but she has made it clear that she wants nothing to do with her father and they need to leave her alone already and abide by her wishes.
Does every issue have to begin and end with Daddy dearest? I think Jennifer's situation was very different from Antonia's. I would have shut down too if I had made my feelings known and no one was listening to me.

SeasonedRefinement 1248 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SeasonedRefinement Click to send private message to SeasonedRefinement Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 04:10 PM (EST)

Well that was a friendly little lunch. Assigned lunches are always so relaxed and easy, aren't they?

Jennifer is a passionate proponent for this cause, isn't she? Maybe she could start a new organization using the acronym IDIOT - Incarcerated Dads Involved with Offspring Today . I'll bet she was a real force on the high school debate team. I'm so persuaded by her argument, that I wish my dad was incarcerated so that I could do the right thing and visit him in the pen.

What happened to Antonia was not a cavity falling out(LOL!); she lost a cap. Actually, she's probably been working on that thing for days trying to loosen it up. Her plan may have been to pop it off whenever she felt the need to make a quick exit.

She's something else.

ETA: typo

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-16-06, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 05:16 PM (EST)

Iyanla was grasping at straws again, only this time out of sheer anger because she had to do Antonia's work. She was going to find a way, anything, she could to lash out at Antonia.

Re: "Daddy", Iyanla used to have a prison ministry gig so it's obvious she's drawn to such types, no surprise, so for all we know, she's even met Antonia's father.
And as for her dad, a simple search in Boston newspapers comes up with an "Antonio" that shares the same last name as Antonia. I can see why she said her absence in his life is 'his problem', not hers. "Daddy" is violent enough to have assaulted a police officer so what would stop him from taking a go at his daughter?

I'm so glad Antonia pretty much gave Jennifer the cold shoulder. What gall.

wow...they're coming out of the woodwork, aren't they. A week or so left and out pops two more veterans of the show. The last mad dash for fame, so funny.

Juliejo 477 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Juliejo Click to send private message to Juliejo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Well that explains' it Tac-2 Iguana had a prison ministry. So that is the reason behind her madness. Thanks for the info clears' up the mistery.
PEACE

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 06:15 PM (EST)

Well I agree with Iyanla that the tooth popped out because she was talking about Daddy... because she WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE TALKING ABOUT DADDY!!!! It gave Antonia the fast exit she needed.

Of all the people available to guilt Antonia out about a very personal matter - maybe family members or her father himself, if anyone - who does Jennifer think she is to be the guilt mongerer?? How inappropriate.

IDIOT - well put SR.

Maybe is just wasn't good enough for Iyanla that nobody is guilting Antonia out about this... and she has no right, apparently, to know her own mind.

ETA - I mean, how can there be a show, if people know their own minds.

horsewhisperer 95 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-16-06, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail horsewhisperer Click to send private message to horsewhisperer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
IDIOT...good one SR! What really cracked me up was how Antonia, was telling IV about her tooth, and how it hurt to eat...Just as she had jumped up and away from that big plate of food, when IV came in.

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
>What happened to Antonia was not
>a cavity falling out(LOL!); she
>lost a cap.

Losing a cap like that is the sign of a couple of things IMO --

1.) she's been grinding her teeth. Hell I would be grinding my teeth too if Iguana was my coach and telling me how I needed my daddy when she hasn't known me a month!

2.) Years of poor dental care. Antonia hasn't been spending money on her teeth and probably the gums have receded and the mouth changed and the cap came off.

3.) She's been eating taffy! LOL

Personally she probably wanted to call her mom as a kneejerk reaction to be fixed up with Jennifer and not being able to escape. She probably wanted emotional support from mom because she's been in the crazy SO house too long.

05-16-06, 10:49 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 10:52 PM (EST)

Jennifer might have actually broken through to Antonia a bit if she had talked more about her own experience before and after her relationship with her dad, instead of that lame "How do you think HE feels" garbage. If she had shared more of her own growth from dealing with her own dad issues maybe it would have helped Antonia instead of trying to guilt her into it.Antonia's response was (and rightly so) "Not my problem". Bad form Jennifer (and Iyanla)

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-16-06, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 10:59 PM (EST)

And now we all see what happens (or in this case doesn't happen) every time SO tries to make mini-Life Coaches out of prior graduates. Just as Kim (Season 2) and Toadie are ill-prepared to coach even themselves so is Jennifer. Iguana got exactly what she deserved from this meeting - a bill for lunch and that's it.

05-16-06, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
But... but... but...we have to drag back every former Ho... I mean HG so they can catch their five seconds of fame and tell the Universe how SO has changed them f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!

And they can't miss the 5K Wrap Party event and mug for the camera.

Yes we need a reason to bring all these former HG's back so we can be blessed by the Transformations that only Starting Over can provide.

Oh there goes my stomach heaving again...

05-16-06, 11:20 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
beckettrep wrote: << Iguana got exactly what she deserved from this meeting - a bill for lunch and that's it. >>
----------------------------------------------------------
LOL!

Also, Iyanla told Antonia something like, "Don't worry, we'll get you to the dentist tomorrow". Wonder if this means that SO is going to pick up the bill, or simply that they will arrange the appointment, allow Antonia access to the van, and then present her with the bill?

BTW, didn't Kim Bookout from Season Two also say that she lost a cap while in the SOH? Maybe the Universe is trying to tell Iyanla something by having her clients' teeth fall out?? LOL

05-16-06, 11:28 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-06 AT 11:29 PM (EST)

When you dream about your teeth, the meaning is related to power and control (Lack of or too controlling). An old meaning was that you were having financial trouble.

Hmmmmmmmm

26mitogo 493 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-06, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 26mitogo Click to send private message to 26mitogo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I'm not even sure where to begin on this matter. The whole thing about never be OK or anywhere near normal without grovelling to a poor, sad, sleepless parent who has never cared enough about his/her child to #1) be a parent; #2) check on the child to see if he/she was dead or alive or surviving; and #3) broke the law, is a criminal, & may even be violent or abusive ... is rediculous. Yes, children need parents. Yes, a child who has a relationship with two loving parents has a strong foundation and security. But you can't tell me forcing someone to have a relationship with a parent who may not care that you even exist or worse yet, is a violent, abusive person is not only irresponsible, it's possibly dangerous.

Hearing that Iyanla has or has had a prison minestry at least sheds a light on why she is so determined to push this on Antonia. I, for one hope Antonia continues to resist much of what goes on in that rediculous place. Not that I don't think Antonia needs any help ... it's obvious she has gotten herself into a mess and needs to grow up and be responsible. But I have my suspisions that much of her "story" is contrived and she is playing a role. I don't doubt the debt, the partying, & the irresponsibility but I do think she plays up her role of running to "Mommy" and being helpless & irresponsibe. They tend to happen at just the right moments, a bit too convenient, and JUST after supposedly learning a lesson. I don't buy it all. Reminds me too much of Lisa1 who played a similar role but so over-played it that it was rediculous ... and she didn't have enough sense to change it at all to even appear to be playing the SO game. Seems Antonia is doing some of the same. If they were truly the actresses they'd like to be, they'd be smart enough to also make their role a changing one to fit the SO "process". But I digress ...

I want to ask Iyanla ... who the he!! do you think you are trying to force people into a relationship with a parent when they may have a perfectly good reason not to want to go down that road. I grew up with an angry, selfish father that I do not choose to have a relationship with at this time. I am a stronger, happier person without him than I was with his negative, demeaning, angry, hateful, selfish attitude around me. I am a parent of an adult child and still feel it is MY responsibility to be the parent. If I were to abandon or abuse her, I would never expect her to come checking on me to see if I was sleeping OK or if I happen to miss her. I don't feel every parent, just because they had the physical ability to have sex, deserves to have their child come running after them. Parents are human and therefore make mistakes. But I feel and will always feel it is 1st the parents responsibility to grow up! They were the one who made the mistake, abandoned the child and needs to take the responsibility to do all they can to clean up their mistakes, swollow their pride, get off their pitty-pot, and make the first move.

There really was little discussion about Jennifer's relationship with her father and how that has changed her life but I had mixed feelings when I watched her contact him last season. The part of the conversation that stands out is how Jennifer was crying as she related to her father how scary it was when the feds rushed their home while the two young girls and her sick mother were there, ransacked the place, and took her father away in handcuffs and how hard it was from then on. With Jennifer's mother permanently ill and disabled, Jennifer had to take over being head of the house. Her father's response: how hard it was for HIM and how cr@ppy his life is now & that prison just isn't a lot of fun. I'm sure I should be more compassionate, but wasn't he the one selling the drugs because he didn't like working long & hard to support his wife & kids? Wasn't he also the one who had guns in the house with those drugs? I just had a feeling we weren't getting the full story. Life in prison for what they made it sound like was a very small amount of drugs just doesn't ring "the full truth" bell for me. Maybe I'm reading more into it than what there really is but it sounded to me at the time that Jennifer was working toward a relationship with a man who was extremely self-absorbed. He seemed angry that his 2 daughters didn't go out of their way to constantly contact him, bring him birthday gifts, get to know HIM. But I didn't hear him put much effort into knowing Jennifer, hearing about her life, or even expressing remorse for what his actions did to HER. He gave excuses and expressed how it affected him. So this adds someone else to Jennifer's life that will require a great deal of giving on her part and, unless he has since changed his tune, a lot of taking on her father's part. Fine if that works for her but I wouldn't want it pushed on me.

I have a feeling Jennifer was probably told by Iyanla to pull the "how do you think he feels" card if she doesn't get through to Antonia. I don't think Antonia needs to be forced nor guilted into contacting her father. If she chooses to at some point in her life, it would need to be as a mature adult. Understanding that our parents make mistakes and that our experiences with them affect our lives is one thing. Being pushed into a relationship with someone, whether it's a parent or not, is another. Parents have a HUGE impact on our psyche ... and a bad parent can have a hugely negative affect even on an adult child. It shouldn't be up to Iyanla to make that choice.

I'm sure the people Iyanla has met in the prisons have come across as wonderful, loving people who miss being home. I don't doubt that in the least and I am sure there are plenty of prisoners who have remorse and wish they would have done things differently. But visiting with someone and having them as a parent are two entirely different things. Also if criminals looked and sounded bad all the time, we would be able to identify them before they committed a crime. And if every man who fathered a child were loving, caring, and responsible, there would be far fewer children growing up without both parents.

If Iyanla wants so many fathers to have a daughter in their lives, she can adopt mine. He seems like a decent enough person when you first meet him. Just try being his child!!!

Sig by the talented Sharnina

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-17-06, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
My issue with all the SO family forced reunions is the failure to recognize that it takes two people to want to have a relationship and to work at it and if both parties aren't willing to have a commited relationship and to put the work and effort into it than sometimes the best choice is to walk away and learn to forgive from a distance. Healing can be done without continued connections.

Forgiveness is a gift to the person forgiving more than even to the person being forgiven because as long as we carry the anger and hurt it continues to poison us not the person who hurt us. So I fully support the concept of teaching people how to forgive those who hurt them. However, not everyone has a rough edged parent with a heart of gold underneath to return to. Sometimes that rough surface on the outside is a genuine reflection of the hard heart on the inside. They aren't hiding anything and a continued relationship only guarentees more heartache and more need to forgive.

IV has this Daddy fixation and this belief that every parental situation is merely a minor problem that can be fixed by crying and a hanky. The truth is some parent relationships aren't repairable and many parents aren't willing to step up to the plate and be parents.

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-06, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
Also, SO seems to bow out as soon as they reunite. As if everything is rosy now that they reconciled or met. They need to provide follow ups. The reunions are nothing but a ratings ploy.

BBinOR 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-17-06, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BBinOR Click to send private message to BBinOR Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I don't blame Antonia for not wanting anything to do with her loser dad. And as for Jennifer, she pretty much smirked her way through her entire stay at the SO house, so that's nothing personal to Antonia. I felt sorry for Jennifer - she got a raw deal. Her dad is a piece of doo doo, but if it enriches her life to believe that he cares about her, great. I think if he had cared enough, he wouldn't have been a drug dealer, but whatever .... That certainly doesn't mean every abandoned child should attempt to reunite with their incarcerated fathers.

But the thing that I thought was incredibly rude was the fact that the second Antonia lost her filling, cap, crown, whatever it was (what was in THAT salad, anyway? Rocks?) she just announced that she was leaving. How self-absorbed can ya get? What -- ya can't let Jennifer finish her lunch? Are you in pain? Do you have to be rushed to the dentist this second? Why couldn't she just whip out her cell phone and call her mommy right there at the table if it was such an emergency? They were just starting to eat, I assume the main course was on it's way. So you lost a filling, Antonia! BFD!

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Antonia's tooth broke because she was talking about "Daddy"????"
I agree here with points about fathers and absent parents.

The last time I saw my father I was 4 years old. I was in conflict for many years about whether I should have a relationship with him, and I'm glad that I just rode out those feelings... and ignored any sense of idealism I had about the issue.

A relationship with him was too big for me to figure out as I was growing up, and that's where he - the adult - should've stepped in. But he didn't - and that is my relationship with him.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •