The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"YIELD usage"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-13-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"YIELD usage"
I'm a little confused, and I hope this doesn't sound like a Romber bash. I truly just want to figure out what didn't happen with the YIELD.

When Ron + Kelly got to the YIELD first, they chose not to use it. This was a sound move in my book because the most likely choice for a YIELD - Romber - were so close behind Ron + Kelly that it was almost certain that the YIELD would have done little more than p!ss Rob off. I believe there is one more YIELD left and you would not want someone who may be ahead of you at that point (thanks to bunching) to be gunnin' for you in the final legs of the Race.

Rob saw this differently and said that Ron + Kelly weren't very bright for not using the YIELD on Romber. However, Romber immediately afterwards chose not to use the YIELD on anyone either! If it's not a smart move for Ron + Kelly to pass on the YIELD, isn't it a dumb move for Romber to pass on it as well?

Even if it was a non-elimination round (which it may still be), putting L/A or M/G even further behind would put them in serious trouble whenever the next leg starts. Why didn't Romber use the YIELD to further disadvantage one of the weaker teams remaining? If Rob and Amber think they are preserving their use of a YIELD until they get to the last one, they are putting an awful lot of faith in their ability to get to that last YIELD before anyone else does.

If anyone can explain this to me, please do.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: YIELD usage Spidey 04-13-05 1
   RE: YIELD usage zipperhead 04-13-05 2
       RE: YIELD usage Spidey 04-13-05 9
 RE: YIELD usage AZ_Leo 04-13-05 3
 RE: YIELD usage iatovttotx78 04-13-05 4
   RE: YIELD usage ginger 04-13-05 5
       RE: YIELD usage Seana 04-13-05 6
           RE: YIELD usage Phil_Eagle 04-14-05 12
 RE: YIELD usage Karchita 04-13-05 7
 RE: YIELD usage bostonrobfan 04-13-05 8
   RE: YIELD usage ginger 04-13-05 10
 RE: YIELD usage true 04-13-05 11
   RE: YIELD usage ftaok 04-14-05 13
 RE: YIELD usage mikey 04-14-05 14
 RE: YIELD usage Oscirus 04-15-05 15
 RE: YIELD usage Dakota 04-15-05 16
 RE: YIELD usage I_AM_HE 04-15-05 17
   RE: YIELD usage Dakota 04-16-05 18
 RE: YIELD usage KLinDC 04-16-05 19
   RE: YIELD usage ARnutz 04-16-05 20
 RE: YIELD usage Femme 04-16-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-13-05, 01:42 PM (EST)
1. "RE: YIELD usage"
Personally, I think they all thought it was non-elim and using the yield wouldn't help eliminate anyone.

Also, I am guessing everyone wants to save their yield for the last one, when it means the most against the best teams left.

There was a TON of discussion about using the yield or not, so I am guessing someone will definitely use the last yield, and probably on Romber.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-13-05, 01:59 PM (EST)
2. "RE: YIELD usage"
>Personally, I think they all thought
>it was non-elim and using
>the yield wouldn't help eliminate
>anyone.
>

True, but being last in a non-elim round would cause someone to lose money and possessions. This late in the Race with everyone draggin their butts through the streets of India (where there are serious, professional beggars) it would be a major blow to a team.

>Also, I am guessing everyone wants
>to save their yield for
>the last one, when it
>means the most against the
>best teams left.
>

I agree with that, but I just thought it was a little odd for Rob to say that Ron + kelly weren't very bright for passing on the YIELD and then they did the exact same thing. Is Rob saying that the YIELD is only useful when used against his team?

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 05:04 PM (EST)
9. "RE: YIELD usage"
Is Rob saying that the YIELD is only useful when used against his team?

That'd be my guess.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-13-05, 02:08 PM (EST)
3. "RE: YIELD usage"
Rob had just told Ron & Kelly that it would be a bad idea to use the yield at this time in order to make sure they didn't use it against him. It would have been a worse move to convince R/K not to use it then turn around and use it himself. He may still need to talk them into making bad decisions again in the future.

iatovttotx78 2645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-13-05, 02:25 PM (EST)
4. "RE: YIELD usage"
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 02:26 PM (EST)

Rombers thinking may have been as such...
Ron & Kelly should have used the yield on them because it going to be their only opurtunity (Romber expects to be in first)... however it would not be smart for them to use it because they'll need it for later in the game.

Or they're too competitive (like Colby in s2) and want to beat every team the conventional way... I doubt this because Romber has shown that they will use the parameters of the game to their full advantage

~Tim~

fighting for peace is like fvcking for virginity.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
5. "RE: YIELD usage"
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 02:49 PM (EST)

I think Rob was smart to point out that it would "probably" be a non-elim and it might be a "waste" of the yield, convincing the other team not to yield them. Frankly, I think Kelly and Gomer should have yielded Romber. If it hadn't been a weird leg, it might've eliminated their strongest competition. As it is, it might have kept Romber from hitting the roof first.

Oh, and Lynn/Alex, wondering why Romber didn't yield YOU? Perhaps because they are not taking you seriously as competition.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
6. "RE: YIELD usage"
I also wondered why Rob didn't yield Lynn and Alex, since he said (in the recap last week) that given the chance, he was yielding them. I took that at face value at the time. Now, I think it was probably venting.

In my opinion, it might have been good strategy for the first place team (R/K) to yield the very strong second place team (R/A) to gain some time. It wasn't as good a strategy for the strong second place team to use a Yield on weaker players.

I could be wrong. I don't like Rob overmuch, but he's not stupid enough to use up his only Yield to stick it to people he has beaten before and can probably beat again. He will wait until he sees a clear advantage.

Phil_Eagle 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-14-05, 04:10 AM (EST)
12. "RE: YIELD usage"
Rob probably thought that R/K should have yielded them to ensure their first place finish and get the reward.

Rob didn't use the Yield on the other teams bec they are so behind that it wouldn't really help Romber. They figured it was a non-elimination leg anyway.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-13-05, 03:33 PM (EST)
7. "RE: YIELD usage"
Exactly. There is no point in using a yield now for no clear advantage on a weaker team that you have beaten before.

They seemed to know this was a non-elim leg and it was the second of three yields. If you yield someone now, they stay in the race and are pissed at you. They could use the last yield on you for revenge. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

bostonrobfan 490 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-13-05, 04:33 PM (EST)
8. "RE: YIELD usage"
Maybe Rob was just observing that Ron let himself get talked out of using the yield quite easily. Ron didn't seem to have a plan of his own on using the yield, while I'm betting Rob has had a plan on using the yield ever since the race began.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 05:10 PM (EST)
10. "RE: YIELD usage"
It was certainly made clear which of the two frontrunning teams was the Alpha Team.

Betcha Kelly at least CONSIDERED using it.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-05, 08:50 PM (EST)
11. "RE: YIELD usage"
For all of them to assume it is a non-elim leg makes me suspect they must of had pretty good reason to think so. (which sucks)

I can understand whey Romber and Asshat didn't use it, since they were pretty far ahead of the pack, but I don't know why the team who is second to last to arrive at the yield would EVER pass it up. (unless of course they KNEW it was a non-elim)

I think the yield is the worst TAR twist ever. Having a fast forward on a non-elim leg is also dumb.

ftaok 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-14-05, 07:26 AM (EST)
13. "RE: YIELD usage"
>For all of them to assume
>it is a non-elim leg
>makes me suspect they must
>of had pretty good reason
>to think so. (which sucks)
Well, there are 5 teams left and they've only used one non-elimination. Going by previous seasons, it was very likely that this was a non-elimination. Heck, it still might be a non-elim after the cliff-hanger.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-14-05, 08:53 AM (EST)
14. "RE: YIELD usage"
I think one factor is that, with M & G still in the race, it is probably wasted to use a yield. You are likely to make it to the final four anyway, so why waste it now.

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-15-05, 10:58 AM (EST)
15. "RE: YIELD usage"
Ron/ Kelly were stupid not to use the yield despite the fact that it turned out to be a good move due to the extended leg. The point of each leg is to either finish first or not finish last, by not using the yield Ron/ Kelly virtually assured themselves of finishing second.

Thank you for giving me honor in hat form.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-05, 08:08 PM (EST)
16. "RE: YIELD usage"
Could be that R/K chose not to use the Yield for their own reasons. Rob wanted to think that he convinced them not to--they are dumb. Kinda like the train station scene where Rob says Pretty soon I'll say "jump" . . .
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-05, 10:07 PM (EST)
17. "RE: YIELD usage"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-05 AT 10:08 PM (EST)

you have to remember that rawb is the smahtest and most wicked awesome racer in history, therefore everyone else is by definition stoopid not to use the yield on his bad- and Ambuh's smokin'- a$$ (but also whiney baby losers if they do)

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-05, 00:11 AM (EST)
18. "RE: YIELD usage"
iamhe: You said it better.
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

KLinDC 65 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-16-05, 08:48 AM (EST)
19. "RE: YIELD usage"
A lot of posters are saying a yield = non-elimination leg. Has this always been the case?

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-05, 09:34 AM (EST)
20. "RE: YIELD usage"
The short answer is no, but here's the history of it's use

In TAR 6 the two yields used were:

~ leg 9 - A/R yielded F/K for J/V, but J/V were eliminated anyway

~ leg 11 - F/K yielded A/R (non-elim)

~ There was a total of 3 that season and the first one wasn't used (I don't recall if it was a non-elim leg or not).

In TAR 5 there were yields on every leg (it was the first season they were introduced) and only 1 of them was used ~ C/K yielded C/C on a non-elim leg.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-16-05, 12:42 PM (EST)
21. "RE: YIELD usage"
I think the fact that Rob and Amber passed on the Yeild speaks volumes for what they think of their "competition," or lack thereof.

They aren't worried about Lynn and Alex, so why waste a yield on them?

The only people that threaten Rob and Amber (in their opinion, I am gussing) are Ron and Kelly. They couldn't yield them, so they held it. Smart move.

Ron and Kelly, however, have Rob and Amber to worry about, plus they reached the yield before Rob and Amber, so it was a little goofy not to use the yield.

Ron and Kelly might have not yielded them so as to seem "nice" and "accepting" of an alliance. Who wants to piss off Rob, they might have said? However, in Rob's assertion that they were "stupid" to not use it, I think Rob and Amber, while pissed off, wouldn't have held it against Ron and Kelly. I daresay they might have had a little grudging respect for the move.

So, the fact that they choose not to yield Rob and Amber wasn't really smart, even if you are looking at it as a PR move. Better PR would have been yielding, I bet.

Femme

i she be your girlfriend

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •