The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The real reason TAR is so popular"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-16-05, 09:07 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The real reason TAR is so popular"
I'm curious as to what others think in terms of why TAR is so popular. I've come up with a theory and wanted to hear what others thought. Here's what I've come up with:

Americans rarely travel out of the country. Unlike our counterparts in Europe, most Americans feel there is no need to cross that big pond we lovingly call the Atlantic. So all of our life, the US Dollar is the only currency, English is the only language, Interstates the only highway, etc etc. A comfort zone. No need to know the outside world if we are not there to see it.

Take it all away.

All the sudden...the comfort zone is removed. The US Currency is not used. Highways aren't familiar. A language is spoken that is incomprehensible. Local customs that are a normalcy in another country are unheard of in America.

Back to what I was saying about TAR being so popular...I believe the viewers on TV get a kick at seeing Americans thrown out there in the real world, away from familiar things. Taught to fend for themselves. While some do adapt, others (Kendra on TAR6) embarrass our entire country with their heartless comments. So perhaps there is underlying truth in TAR's popularity. One of the sellable appeals of the show to America and the World is the obnoxious and ill-informed American traveller. TAR is actually making money off of how dumb people are.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... cahaya 03-16-05 1
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... nazzWord 03-17-05 2
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-17-05 5
 Agree in part realitybites 03-17-05 3
   RE: Agree in part watermelon 03-17-05 4
       RE: Agree in part TARugh 03-17-05 6
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... weltek 03-17-05 7
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-17-05 8
       RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... watermelon 03-18-05 10
           RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-21-05 22
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... cdru 03-17-05 9
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... Ruthless 03-18-05 11
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... RiverGirl 03-18-05 12
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... watermelon 03-19-05 13
       P/S - I'm not bashing K/J... watermelon 03-19-05 14
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... okaychatt 03-19-05 15
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-20-05 16
       RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... okaychatt 03-21-05 18
           TAR7: Iran to North Korea TARugh 03-21-05 20
               RE: TAR7: Iran to North Korea J Slice 03-21-05 23
       RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... J Slice 03-21-05 19
           RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-21-05 21
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... kathliam 03-20-05 17
 RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... Earl Colby Pottinger 03-23-05 24
   RE: The real reason TAR is so popul... TARugh 03-25-05 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-05, 11:02 PM (EST)
1. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Good assessment on your part, I think, about one of the reasons people like to watch the show. As an American who is still living overseas (in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) and travels extensively, I get a kick out of how clueless some Americans can be once they're outside the comfort zone.

Another reason people watch the show, I think, is relationship chemistry. My wife, son and I are all that much more thankful for the chemistry we've got between us after we see some of the ridiculous (and sometimes, downright mean) behavior people exhibit toward each other.

"cahaya" (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

nazzWord 60 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-17-05, 04:46 AM (EST)
2. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Cahaya = Light

03-17-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Very cool! I am an American in the Republic of Turkey. So at least there are 2 of us doing it right

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-17-05, 05:26 AM (EST)
3. "Agree in part"
I think your theorem is part of the reason why TAR is popular in countries other than America (and it seems to be more popular outside the US than in it).

TAR's popularity here is relative. Even now, it draws less than two-thirds of "Survivor"'s audience, and about half of "CSI". And its popularity, such as it is, really started to ascend during TAR5. I suspect the reason why is because they've been casting more people with gimmicks and a few more jerks who aren't afraid to bounce off the other players and entertain us, the viewers.

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Agree in part"
On my part, and the part of my friends here who are fellow TAR addicts, we enjoyed the early seasons more when it was more about solving puzzles, learning more about other cultures/geography. The people were normal people, playing an interesting, innovative, but not underhanded game. We watch TAR (or used to anyway) as a sort of travelogue. Places covered in TAR are places that we decide we would like to go and see for ourselves. Many of these places are also more affordable, compared to real travelogue shows where they tend to feature upmarkets hotels/spas.

I have seen every season of TAR without fail, from the first to the current one, and I feel that, in general, I'm liking the show less and less BECAUSE of the gimmicks and jerks. I do NOT find them entertaining at all. For me, it is honestly about the game (and to me, the best game is a fair game with more mental puzzles and less physical/gross food challenges), the places they go to and the people they meet along the way/how they interact with these people.

03-17-05, 12:07 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Agree in part"
I'm definitely with you there. The first few TARs were more interesting. It seems the ideas are running out. Schlep or Shop? I'm sure there are better things to learn about Chile than moving books or shopping for a 6.6 pound fish.

My favourite moment continues to be how Gus was during Season 6. He seemed to really teach viewers something. Especially in Senegal. The show lost richness when he and Hera were eliminated. No characters have the same calibur this season as Gus did last season.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 12:50 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 12:52 PM (EST)

Or maybe I just don't travel overseas because it's frickin' expensive and I have yet to see all of the country I live in.

Personally, I like TAR because I get to quickly see other parts of the world & the competition. I enjoy watching teams excel in other cultures more than flounder.

03-17-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Agreed. Seeing them excel versus flounder is the better thrill. Once you see the rest of America, I highly suggest you checking out the rest of the world. Get a job living in another country while you are at it. My life is like TAR, just without road blocks, detours, pit stops, a million dollars, trips courtesy of aa.com, old men with blue hair and bickering.

OK, perhaps my life is nothing like TAR

03-18-05, 06:27 AM (EST)
10. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I'm getting an o/s job myself, starting in April, and I'm looking forward to being a real-life TAR-er I'm particularly excited about doing some of the more culture-specific things features in previous TAR episodes, eg the coffee or tea vs massage in... I think that was Morocco...; plan to look out for those gumboot dancers in South Africa (wasn't that a great challenge?); and although I said I didn't really like food challenges, I'm gonna see for myself just how spicy Hungarian spicy soup really is!

03-21-05, 12:41 PM (EST)
22. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
You are going to love Overseas life. Here are a few examples why:
I lived in Central America around the year 2000 or so. Closer to neat destinations like Jamaica, Costa Rica, Curacao, and Venezuela. Carnival, beer at 26 cents a bottle, tropical beaches and clubs that play sexy merengue music. Much more of a heaven than those brown hills Kelly describes.

Lived in Europe in 2001...I did go to Hungary while there. The soup is quite spicy...but then again, I didn't have to "Gus" my food. The music wasn't as irritating..perhaps they wanted to keep customers coming back? (Note: I'd make the soup extra spicy and play irritating music to keep the crew of TAR6 out of my restaurant forever as well)

The Orient was where I had been the past 2 years. Japan, China, Thailand...all cheaper to get to, cheaper to shop, and the temple stays are definitely worth it. Luckily, some Americans will go and give other countries a good impression of Americans...the very impression that TAR contestants have destroyed over the years

Now I am off the Mediterrean Sea now. Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Egypt, Italy, all right there. I have even gone to Syria. (No, I don't have a death wish. Most Syrians are quite friendly) So much mythology and Roman ruins in the area...what mythology buff WOULDN'T want to come out this way?

They key to getting a true aspect for another culture is not doing it like TAR...not taking a vacation to it...but by roughing it and straight up LIVING in another country. You will learn things not taught in college. Brak Brak Brak session complete.

Of course...I'd rather play TAR and have a million dollars calling my name...

cdru 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-17-05, 04:55 PM (EST)
9. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I watched because up until this season, TAR hasn't had the backstabbing, conniving, twisting of situations that other reality TV series does. It was a race between teams doing the same tasks. Strategy comes into play, but not relative to other players. For the most part one team didn't effect other teams other then possibly what order they do a task or earlier/later flight.

Ruthless 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-18-05, 07:48 AM (EST)
11. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I've been a fanatic TARfan since episode one of TAR1. I can't explain why I love it so much. I've watched TAR1 at least 3 times, some episodes more times than that. I have recruited a number of work colleagues to watching it, and while they detest Jonathon and Victoria in TAR6, they are now hooked as well.

My reasons for watching

1. I love geography and enjoy seeing obscure overseas locations.

2. I have a competitive streak and would love to do something like this myself

3. I love imagining how I would react to/cope with the travel and the tasks. Which detour would I do? Which roadblocks would I do and which ones would I make my partner do?

I've learnt a lot about myself (not all of it pleasant either) from watching TAR.

On the ugly American tourist note: My acting director at work is of Danish descent. He recently visited Denmark and was enjoying wandering around a Viking longboat museum located in a harbour where a large number of sunken boats had been found, quietly pondering the past, when a busload of American tourists arrive and proceeded to loudly trample through the place, destroying the reflective atmosphere. He was most annoyed.

RiverGirl 58 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-18-05, 03:46 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I like it because of the competition and because you have to use your brain to win. It's a "smart" show to watch. The only show I liked more was The Mole, because you actually had to use your brain and figure things out for yourself.

I also like the team dynamic and watching how teammates interact with each other - some better than others. I may be in the minority, but I tend to like teams that respect each other, rather than ones who yell, scream and chastize each other. That is why I hated last season so much, and like this one so much better.

Plus, I don't have the time or money to be able to travel the world, so at least this show gives me a small glimpse into what I am missing out there.

03-19-05, 02:31 AM (EST)
13. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I enjoy watching the teams that respect each other a lot more too... but I think K/J from last season were simply too good to be true. I'm very well-travelled, having been all over the world with many different people, some of them my bestest friends in the world, some of them not so close... inevitably, over time, some sort of argument will start up! While I like to think I'm nowhere near as useless and whiny as Hayden, spoilt and selfish as Kendra and abusive as Jon, when you spend 24/7 for any amount of time with someone and when you're tired from changing time zones etc, these things do happen. I'm proud to say, all the people I've travelled with, despite the quarrels, we've always come back better friends and closer than before.

My point?

Some quarrels are ok, even expected, so I can forgive the couples with minor spats, esp when they occur in a tense situation (eg Patrick yelling at Susan...he probably KNEW he had to suck it up, to use the words of another team, but hearing mum nag at him was just not conducive to sucking it up)... relationships like Jon and Victoria? Something's definitely wrong there.

03-19-05, 02:34 AM (EST)
14. "P/S - I'm not bashing K/J..."
...though it may sound like it. I'm just saying they were truly admirable coz they never really quarelled despite the stress and tiredness. For this reason, I really respected them and loved them and wanted them to win SO BAD!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-19-05, 11:12 AM (EST)
15. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
<Americans rarely travel out of the country

I'd love to travel more than I have, but being abroad is expensive, and we kind of like having food on the table, a roof over our heads, and something to put on when we go out.

Yes, there are a lot of tactless dolts with the funds to travel. There are also those that genuinely appreciate other cultures and respect other peoples. I've traveled with both. It's just that TAR doesn't give the pleasant ones much face time.

I used to work in a place that saw people from all over the world traveling in the U.S. Believe me, there are tactless dolts from all countries of the world. The majority were pleasant and appreciative.

I watch TAR to get a taste of other countries and their cultures. I've even been known to do some research on a place after watching the show. TAR helps me feel a little closer to the rest of the world.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

03-20-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
16. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
I'm actually pretty excited to see them get to Turkey sometime. Somehow I doubt they will be in the real region of Turkey where I live (The Med. Sea Coast) and (they) will probably do some LAME challenge like "Eat an Adanakebap or Wear a Turkish Hat for 10 seconds."

It is true the TAR does give us an insight to countries most have not been to. I have noticed that they have not been to countries with Travel Warnings (source: Consulate Pages)

There should be a TAR season with TRUE enthusiasts with the following countries in their path:

Colombia
DPR Congo
Libya
Bosnia
Iran
Kazakstan
East Timor
Papua New Guinea
North Korea

...and just for kicks...have the start and finish be in East St. Louis and Compton.
I'd watch the show religiously! Hehe...then again, I am a sadistic

"Go to the next pit stop at Escobar's House"

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-21-05, 08:55 AM (EST)
18. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
<TAR season with TRUE enthusiasts with the following countries in their path:

HA! Perhaps the new TAR would be named, Run For Your Life!.

Roadblocks in Colmbia might include: Drug Running or Drug Selling

Running = You must hide and carry $10,000 worth of drug money to a drug czar. This is over arduous country, but you will be relatively safe from the police. Be sure to bribe any you meet. You have $500 for this purpose. You may keep whatever money is left after your trip.

Selling = You must sell $10,000 worth of drugs on the streets of Cali. This is a relatively quick task, but you are in high danger of being arrested and put in jail. No phone calls will be allowed. You have $500 to use for bail money. You may keep whatever money is left after this Roadblock.

How about ideas for some of the other countries listed?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

03-21-05, 11:58 AM (EST)
20. "TAR7: Iran to North Korea"
PHIL: Teams must now make their way to the airport in downtown Tehran. Since wives will need their husbands permission to leave the country, some teams will find it difficult to depart. They can leave on 1 of two flights:

IRANIAN AIRLINES Flight 13 Departs at 6pm today with a layover in Mecca will arrive in P'yongyang at 11am the next morning. Non-muslims will have a difficult time getting clearance for this flight.

AIR KORYO, Flight 1, MIGHT depart next week sometime between Thursday and Saturday between 4am and 9pm on any of those days, and MIGHT arrive in P'Yongyang sometime later in the month.

Once arriving in P'Yongyang, and going through an extensive body cavity search, teams must then work their way to the "All hail the mighty eternal leader" Statue to find their next clue.

ROB: So which flight should we take?
AMBER: Rob? Are you there? I can't see you through this burqa.

BRIAN: Mmmm...North Korean chicks are hot.
GREG: I hope they don't cane me there like they did here.

RON: Enemy Territory? No problem. I single-handedly won the war in Iraq.
KELLY: Is North Korea near South Korea?

DEANA: There is not alot of teams left that we can follow
RAY: One word - Shut up right now. I mean, 3 words. Uh...four words. Just...just...shut up.

UCHENNA: Oh yeah...North Korea baby!!!!!
JOYCE: I've always wanted to go to Tokyo.

If only it were that crazy...

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-05, 10:53 PM (EST)
23. "RE: TAR7: Iran to North Korea"
ROFL.

But will Amber be able to do any challenges minus Rob?

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-05, 10:22 AM (EST)
19. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
(they) will probably do some LAME challenge like "Eat an Adanakebap or Wear a Turkish Hat for 10 seconds."

::amused::

That's one of the funniest things I've read on this board.

I heart adana kebap. Good eatin'.

Turkey's a gorgeous country. Hope to go back some day.

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

03-21-05, 12:03 PM (EST)
21. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Glad you found that amuzing. I consider it funnier than a fart in church myself. Sadly, that's about the level the challenges are getting to. I'll have an Adanakebap tonight in your honour J Slice.

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES or NO, but not both.

kathliam 3669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-20-05, 05:14 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
In my case, I came to TAR a little late in the game, not until TAR5. DH and I watched an episode or 2 of TAR1, but for some reason didn't stick with it. Now I'm seriously hooked. The show is a way for me to travel the world vicariously. We've been to Europe twice, and traveled around while we were there, so it brings back fond memories.

Nothing is more embarassing than being in a foreign country, trying to respect their culture and language, and have another American act like a fool because they can't make themselves understood. I do admit I find those moments funny.

So, I came for the free trip around the world, and I stayed for the competitive and relationship aspect of the game.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-23-05, 02:19 AM (EST)
24. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
Sorry, I can't agree with your suggestion that Americans don't travel. My experience with Europeans here in Canada has not left me with such a rosy impression of them either.

First, America is big, I mean really big. Canada too. The distance Americans and Canadians travel to visit another part of thier country will cross two or three borders in many parts of Europe. When an European talks about visiting a couple of countries by North American standards they haven't even done a good road trip here.

Second, Diffirent parts of America and Canada are very diffirent from each other. I have meet/talked Europeans who seem to think our countries sharing one single identical culture everywhere. How an European thinks life in New Orleans, New York City and a small town in the MidWest are identical is beyond me. Personally, having visited an Indian reserve to buy art (and it was not cheap), trying sell books in a mennonite village, having my previous girlfriend coming from a local Dutch community and vacationing in cottage country I am at a loss.

Third, A lot of Americans travel aboard, but I lay odds that if you left out England that Europe is not the most popular destination for them.

Fourth, I have been very un-impressed with European tourist I have run into here in Canada. Common problems:

Map reading and scale: Countries here are big, provinces are big, and so are natural features. Spent 15 minute to get it across while in Toronto that that body of water was a lake even if you could not see the other side. Use a map of Toronto or Ontario not one of Canada to guide yourself locally.

Distance are large here. Explained to German couple I meet in Oshawa. "Yes, you have been driving for an hour from the airport, Montreal is still half a day's more driving to the west."

Distances are large here. While camping near Kingston, had to explain that going into Quebec City for a quick French meal was out of the question if they wanted to return before midnight.

Distances are large in the USA too! Had to explain to a couple of Backpackers that dropping off in Toronto meant they had a long wait for thier friends to come and get them from Buffalo, New York.

I have not meet many rude Europeans, but I did meet one man with I think his wife. His accent was so thick no-one could understand him, this just made him yell louder and louder - last I saw of him a police officer was trying to calm him down.

Europeans always think we are lacking things because they don't see it on the TV shows imported to thier countries. A friend who's family was from Holland had a relative over who in turn was surprised that I showed up with a gift of Ship's rope (a salty candy) because ofcourse this is not Holland so we must lack it. Others seemed shocked that they don't see all the police and street crime they for some reason seem to think that TV shows really show the true ratio of crime on the streets.

Heck, on the CN tower I have heard them express surprise that half the city is hidden from view because of the number of trees. For some reason they think every tree in the city would be cut down and that every flat surface would be lined with concrete.

03-25-05, 09:14 PM (EST)
25. "RE: The real reason TAR is so popular"
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-05 AT 09:16 PM (EST)

I didn't say Americans "never" travel. I said they 'rarely' travel.

Mis-reading the clue was the fate of Lori and Bolo as well

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •