The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Just thought I'd ask a question"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-17-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Just thought I'd ask a question"
I see a lot of people constantly talking about Rob and Amber being on the Amazing Race and how what Rob is doing is ruining the race.

My question is, if it wasn't Rob and Amber, but some unknown team, would quitting the eating detour, bribing the bus driver and lieing be as bad? In reading a lot of posts (on many different boards), a lot of what I see is all about Rob bringing Survivor to TAR. I really just want to know if say, Merrideth and Gretchen were doing all of this, and Rob and Amber weren't even an issue, would it be considered great game play or just as dirty?

And let me just say 1. I LOVE ROB! and 2. I'm really curious about this, I'm not trying to cause bad feelings.

Cin

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question TARugh 03-17-05 1
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question watermelon 03-18-05 10
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question anotherkim 03-18-05 13
           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question watermelon 03-19-05 15
               RE: Just thought I'd ask a question anotherkim 03-19-05 21
                   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question watermelon 03-19-05 22
                       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question aaron2kristie 03-19-05 30
                           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question redcherry69 03-23-05 35
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question weltek 03-17-05 2
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question Smooth23 03-22-05 33
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question LibraRising 03-17-05 3
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question Robotext 03-17-05 4
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question nailbone 03-17-05 5
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question LibraRising 03-17-05 6
   Romber 101/TAR 4 Lesson? okaychatt 03-19-05 18
       The Rob primer LibraRising 03-19-05 20
           Agreed... watermelon 03-19-05 23
           RE: The Rob primer okaychatt 03-19-05 29
           RE: The Rob primer iatovttotx78 03-23-05 38
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question iatovttotx78 03-23-05 36
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question bacon 03-17-05 7
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question tvgeek401 03-17-05 8
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question GameOver3 03-17-05 9
           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question anotherkim 03-18-05 14
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question Cin 03-18-05 11
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question cipher5150 03-18-05 12
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question watermelon 03-19-05 16
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question volsfan 03-19-05 17
           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question cipher5150 03-19-05 24
               RE: Just thought I'd ask a question volsfan 03-19-05 25
                   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question cipher5150 03-19-05 26
                       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question volsfan 03-19-05 27
                           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question cipher5150 03-19-05 28
                           RE: Just thought I'd ask a question watermelon 03-20-05 31
                               RE: Just thought I'd ask a question volsfan 03-20-05 32
 RE: Just thought I'd ask a question okaychatt 03-19-05 19
   RE: Just thought I'd ask a question Swrdprincess 03-22-05 34
       RE: Just thought I'd ask a question ginger 03-23-05 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-17-05, 12:02 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Personally, I think it is a classic case of jealous envy. People like Rob and Amber became well-known to the world...all without having to do anything. No school of the arts, no acting classes...nothing. They became popular simply because they were normal people on a popular reality show. I say BRAVO to Rob and Amber. They add a classic spin to an show that lately lacks sagacity and personality. There may be some speculation if they actually entered the race the way others did - either way, everything is up to CBS on who is deemed worthy to be a TAR participant. I'm glad they are on. I hope Rob continues to deceive the other teams. If the other teams are too dumb to see through it, then they deserve to get eliminated.

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 06:15 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Popular? <puke> More like infamous! I admit - I don't like them and don't ever wanna meet them or get to know them or find out anything about them/their lives.

Having said that, it is not just because of them that I didn't appreciate the quitting or the taxi-stealing. I would have thought these moves showed poor sportsmanship regardless of which team pulled these stunts. For example... I'm also a Survivor fan and have been keeping up with the latest series. Ian revelling over the beef stew in front of the down-and-out Ulong team was, I thought, all in poor taste eventhough he is one of my favourite Survivors ever, I love him and I want to marry him This action made my view of him go down a little last night. I think this is proof that, I'm the kind of person where, it doesn't matter who the person/team is... if I think a particular action is done in poor taste, it's purely the action itself that I base these feelings on, and not prejudice against the person/team.

I have to say though, despite what appears to be goody-two-shoes attitude on my part, i thought withholding information about the bus, bribing the bus station guard to help withhold the info and then bribing the bus driver to keep the back door closed were all brilliant strategic moves. What I have problems with, is Rob then LYING about bribing the guard when specifically asked about it. This is lying that would not have gotten him further in the game anyway... they all knew he had bribed the guard, and Rob knew that they knew... they just wanted to get an admission of guilt out of him and Rob, being the jerko that he is, just wanted to lie for the sake of lying.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-18-05, 11:49 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"

but you have a problem with ALL the TAR players that lie, correct? The team that lied at the mounds of dirt, for example? And the Chip and Kim lies last season, etc. Lying has always been a part of TAR.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--It is a game, of course.

03-19-05, 02:08 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I just have a problem with lying fullstop. I'm the kind of person who, when asked by a friend how they look in something that's hideous, will say, "err... you've looked better before." or something along those lines. I know that lying has always been a part of TAR and other reality shows, and every time it's done, I take mild offence at it. For this reason, I know that I would personally make a lousy Racer, and I admit it... lying does get you ahead... I just don't have to like it, do I? I don't mind withholding information in that, if I found out something that would help me in the Race, I wouldn't blurt it out to everyone else... but if someone came directly up to me and asked me point blank about it, I would have to tell them the truth. I just don't really know how to lie, and even if I tried, my stammers and blushes would always give me away... I don't play poker either!

03-19-05, 12:31 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
and I can appreciate not personally being able to lie (I could, however). My point was, did you dislike every other team that did it, too?

Also, IMO, lying as a part of a game is totally different than lying in real life. These people all entered this knowing that the other 10 teams would be doing whatever it took to get ahead, so to me, anything goes (provided it does not cause bodily harm). Do you think that Debbie or Bianca or Alex or Lynn would pass up the chance to lie to Romber if given the chance? I don't. Not for a minute. I think that Patrick and Susan would make UP a chance to lie to them if they could.

I have a problem with racers lying to those who are NOT part of the race. Lying to flight attendants and stuff makes me ill. To me, that is taking it a step too far because that crosses the line into lying IRL.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--welcometo the boards, btw

03-19-05, 02:10 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Oh, ok... In answer to your question, yes, lying gets to me, regardless of whether Romber did it, or whether another team did it, eg Debbie and Bianca at the sandpiles.

And yes, you're right - lying IRL is much worse than in the game coz I guess the other Racers expect that it's every man for himself anyway. One of the worst lies ever was Kendra at the Japanese airport - "I've got a sick baby...", and to make things worse, the tantie they chucked when JAL "refused" to help! I'm not Japanese, but I've had a lot to do with them in the past... the Japanese people are VERY straight-laced and by the book... must come from that honourable samurai concept. I know that it seems like an easy thing to try to finagle an earlier flight for the Racers, but to the airport staff, it may not be that easy. It may get them into trouble with their boss. So once they've said no, stop making an a$$ of yourself!

I still think Rob blatantly denying (LYING) bribing the bus station guard to not tell the other teams about later bus arriving earlier was unnecessary to further his position in the game, and hence feel strongly against this particular lie. They already knew he was on the later bus, knew he'd bribed the guard, knew to change their buses... there was just no point lying coz Rob knew they had it out for him anyway. So just admit it! The worst thing was, when he stole the girls' cab, not to get himself ahead, but to teach them a lesson for "accusing him of lying". That's another lie I have problems with - didn't get him ahead coz it was said to Amber anyway.

aaron2kristie 110 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-05, 09:13 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Yeah here Rob had lied and wanted to punish the girls by getting their cab because they had "accused him of lying." But since he actually did lie, what exactly was he punishing them for??? Because they dared to call him a liar. Yet it was the truth. So it is clear that Rob has a very weak sense of right and wrong---not only in the game of Survivor and Amazing Race---but in life too. Anyone who does not see that----you really need to look a little deeper. Amber is always just along for the ride thinking if she says nothing than she can't be at fault. GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION. She will get hers one day from Rob too--rest assured!

redcherry69 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-23-05, 01:52 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
How do we know Rob's smugness and cockiness isn't all part of his gameplan? So far his attitude has only been directed at his other competitors. With the locals he has been really nice and courteous. Most of the other teams seem to be playing to beat Rob/Amber not to win the race. They are clearly rattled by Rob/Amber. Rob sees it and uses it to his advantage. I think his gameplan is solid. As long as they play w/in the rules and don't physically hurt someone to get ahead I say GO FOR IT!! They are playing for a million bucks, and as Rob has said, He's playing to win the million.

P.S. I have to admit I am a Rob fan, have been since Survivor.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 12:55 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I liked Team Guido way back when for their cunningness, so I don't think it's just because it's Romber. If Romber had just quit that challenge without a plan, I wouldn't have respected it. Fortunately for them, a plan was formulated-Rob really thought about the consequences and how they could use it to their advantage. Any team that plays the game with that much strategy would be enjoyable to watch.

Is it MORE enjoyable because we are already familiar with Romber & their tricks? Yep. Is it more fun because Rob is so into the game & the strategy? Yes.

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-22-05, 05:22 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Yeah, team Guido rocked. They were so amazingly cunning they took a FF then proceeded to go get tea(?) before checking in at the pitstop. Best. Episode. Ever.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-17-05, 01:16 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
My question is, if it wasn't Rob and Amber, but some unknown team, would quitting the eating detour, bribing the bus driver and lieing be as bad?

As I said in the other thread, you may be right. My dislike of Rob because of what he said and did in Survivor 4 is no doubt poisoning my opinion of him. And I didn't really watch the first TAR, so I don't have the Guido comparison to base it on.

The quitting thing, as I said, was a flaw in the rules that Rob was smart to exploit. Not brilliant, mind you. If he had tried, I bet he could have choked down that meat eventually and probably would have ended up in about the same rank. There's just some of us (including some who liked Rob's game before this) who didn't like that Rob skipped a task and still ended up ahead of some people who didn't, whereas in the past we've had people stick to a task even when it was hopeless (the sisters and the hay bales, Joyce and the caviar).

Let me add that I don't think what Rob is doing is "ruining the race." Far from it. This is the most entertaining race in awhile (the teams were seeming to get progressively more boring since TAR 4, with the last one as the nadir). I just hope it blows up in Rob's face eventually. While it is entertaining to watch, I wouldn't want to watch a season where every team was pulling such antics. Then the focus of the race would become more "let's see how we can all screw over the other teams and get out of this challenging roadblock" and less on the destinations, the culture, etc.

Robotext 66 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-17-05, 05:23 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I think the devious way Team Guido played on the first TAR was the reason why most viewers and the other teams seemed to hate them with a passion (not because they were gay, their counterpoint would be the fabulous Danny & Oswald).

Those who do not want TAR to become about backstabbing (me included) would still hate an anoynmous team that has done what Romber has done. Of course, Rob's smugness seems to be the worst type of playing to the camera and is what makes me really single him out as the "villain" of this TAR. (Ray is not being Jonathan enough to take this title away so far).

I hope Romber lasts a long time, I just do not want them to win the race.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 05:31 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 05:32 PM (EST)

There's just some of us (including some who liked Rob's game before this) who didn't like that Rob skipped a task and still ended up ahead of some people who didn't,

I think that Romber would have ended up in front of them anyway, and it wouldn't have even been as close as it was. It wasn't the roadblock that got them, and kept them, behind Romber. It was their own mistakes. Remember, Romber had to sit there for four hours until they could even move toward the pit stop. There's no way to know if he could have finished that meat in less time than that. Either way, they pull in ahead of those other teams.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

03-17-05, 06:14 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I don't disagree with anything you said. The more I think about it, the less fault I can find with Rob for doing it. My point, I guess, was Debbie and Patrick sucked it up and did it, while Rob didn't. And if they did it, he could have, too. But what Rob did was within the rules. So I just hope the producers rethink those rules in future races.

That being said, the challenge itself was inane and dangerous. And it took Patrick more than four hours to complete it. So I think the producers need to either skip such ridiculous challenges in the future, or make the time penalty, say, 6-8 so it's a definite disadvantage to take it. I'd just rather not see future legs where skipping a roadblock is an option to teams at the front of the pack. If they can't do it, hard luck.

But I still don't like Rob.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-05, 10:42 AM (EST)
18. "Romber 101/TAR 4 Lesson?"
I'm fairly new to Survivor and TAR.

How about a quick synopsis of Rob and his exploits in Survivor so I can understand why folks are so put out with him?

I'd be mighty beholden to ya.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

03-19-05, 12:28 PM (EST)
20. "The Rob primer"
I'd be glad to.

Basically, Rob's strategy in Survivor 4 was awful. He hooked up with the laziest people in camp (particularly Cleopatra Sarah) and thought he was in complete control of the game. They lost pretty much every challenge and responded by voting out their team's strongest member (Hunter, who had a great goodbye line about how he couldn't wait until those knuckleheads he left behind starved out there). Rob eventually got switched to the other side, but once there was a merge, everybody saw what a snake he was and voted him out.

In All-Stars, of course, he fared better. IMO, that reflected more on the patheticness of the rest of the cast rather than Rob's brilliance.

My dislike of him, however, stems from his attitude after the switch in Survivor 4. He sat around, did nothing and was particularly insulting and over-the-top with his comments on other tribemates. He called one guy a "big-time queer" and said he wouldn't sleep next to him. About another guy, he said something about him having a "small sausage." About one of the women in the tribe, he said that as long as she kept serving him, she would be OK. (He didn't say these things to their faces, but still...)

He was also really nasty about Tom's son in All-Stars. And his arrogance has always been very off-putting.

03-19-05, 02:17 PM (EST)
23. "Agreed..."
I don't like Rob, not because I'm jealous of his million dollars or him getting the girl, but because his attitude just sucks. He showed us on S4 how lazy he was and how much trash he talked... almost as bad as Johnny Fairplay in S7! In A.S.S., he did play a good game, but with many lies, broken promises and at the cost of many friendships. Having said that, I can't pinpoint this gameplay as the only or even the main reason why I dislike him, especially as several other All-Stars, notably Lex, had a similar strategy to his. It was also the arrogance with which he played the game. Him saying nasty things about Tom's son (I think he called Tom's son an idiot or something like that) after Tom had picked him to share a reward was the last straw really - showed what a total ingrate this guy is too, on top of his other unredeemable qualities. Definitely not a guy you would want anything to do with IRL - if you see him on the streets, run the opposite direction!

03-19-05, 08:34 PM (EST)
29. "RE: The Rob primer"
<He sat around, did nothing and was particularly insulting and over-the-top with his comments on other tribemates

Aha - now I understand. Thanks for the synopsis.

iatovttotx78 2645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-23-05, 01:23 PM (EST)
38. "RE: The Rob primer"
I had totally forgotten about all that... thanks for the primer

iatovttotx78 2645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-23-05, 01:05 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
My mind must be a little hazy, so could you please remind me of what Boston Rob did in Survivor 4 that was so terrible.

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings

03-17-05, 06:48 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I wasn't annoyed by the fact that Rob quit and took the penalty. I was more annoyed by the fact that he bragged about supposedly getting people to quit with him. I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell that one girl was going to finish all that meat off. She knew once she saw what she had to eat that it wasn't going to happen. Rob did too much patting himself on the back about being conniving when it was just plain science that helped him out. Tiny woman + 600 pounds of meat=Not finishing the challenge.

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-17-05, 11:09 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I agree with you, bacon.

I think Rob's cockiness is the reason I hate him so much. He is just the type of person I don't like. It isn't because of his conniving play because I have been a huge fan of the 'evil' person in the past, but because of what he seems like as a person--a cocky arse. And the way everyone else talks about him just adds to the annoyance/hatred factor.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!

GameOver3 51 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-17-05, 11:44 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I quite frankly could care less who it is that is quitting tasks and bribing bus drivers which shows their classless attitudes. I will not like them, not matter who they are. I used to like Meredith/Gretchen, now I'd prefer to see them eliminated as well as Romber and Ray/Deana for quitting. I'm quite disgusted that teams who stumbled on navigation, came in and did the Roadblock that other teams quit at and watched teams walk away without doing #####, came in behind the quitters and one team that did the RB is gone now.

I did not include lying, because I do find that to be an excellent tool to get better flights. BUT, I do find it wrong that Romber took a taxi from Debbie/Bianca by basically bribing the taxi driver, because Debbie/Bianca accused them of lying when they were!

03-18-05, 11:53 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
so, it's okay to LIE to a flight attendant to get a seat on a flight, but you can't give a dude some extra money to hire a taxi legitimately(and the driver was perfectly able to say no. Rob never lied about why they needed the cab. He just more than doubled the money that Debbie had offered)? What kind of morality is THAT?

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--or could it be that you just don't like Rob.

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-18-05, 10:23 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Thanks for answering folks! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out, if it was because of their Survivor status or if it was infact their "dirty" play.

Thanks again

Cin

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-05 AT 03:05 PM (EST)

New poster - be kind!

Having never missed an episode of TAR I still think many people's opinions of Romber are a result of their Survivor actions or just a general dislike of Romber. I think their game play has been top notch and if the actions in question were committed by other players there would not be the same reaction. The argument that they are "changing" the show due to their aggressive…some would say underhanded and conniving…game play is, to me, not a valid argument.

From the very first season of TAR we have had players that played more aggressively than others. Sometimes they were reviled for it and sometimes their actions were largely ignored by other players and this Board. One notorious incident was the Guido’s physically blocking other teams to prevent them from catching a plane and, I believe, pushing another player (the Mom). But some incidences have received little notice. We’ve seen players countless times bribe their cab drivers to speed or break other laws – something that in my opinion is 10 times worse than anything Romber has done thus far since the consequences could be deadly. Players have lied and mislead other teams innumerable times. Players have threatened other players. Etc., Etc… Romber’s actions are not new and they are not unfair.

As to their quitting the food task, I don’t see it as quitting but rather strategic game play. Based on previous episodes, it is my understanding that each task carries a unique time penalty (contrary to the "4 hour for all" statement Rob made) based on how long teams are expected to complete it. And the penalty would be just that – a penalty – comprising the time it would reasonably take to complete the task plus an additional amount of time as punishment. Just supposition, but I think the producers anticipated that people would come in and wolf down as much food as they could, vomit, eat more, then repeat – like they did in Hungary with the hot soup (hence all the buckets). It seemed to me watching it that the players all seemed averse to vomiting (and really, who can blame them) and tried to keep all four pounds of food down, thus necessitating a much longer time to eat it and making the four hour penalty not much of a penalty.

Rob’s actions were reasonable and smart. If you walked into the task and saw two other players (both big guys) struggling to complete it (and probably asking them how long they had been there), you could assume it would also be a long struggle for you. Would you then spend hours and hours trying to complete it (and make yourself sick in the process) or take an out provided by the producers. The only flaw, as others have pointed out, was that the penalty was not long enough, but as I already said, I believe the producers did not think it would take as long to complete as it did. I know in other reality shows, and I would assume TAR would be the same way since everything seems scheduled down to the minute, that all of the tasks are tried out beforehand by the stunt crew. Somebody tested this task and the producers decided how long it would take to complete it and the penalty was devised (again, supposition on my part based on other reality shows and past TAR episodes).

Clearly I am rooting for Romber now even though I was not a big fan of them on Survivor. I think they are turning out to be very good players who are not getting the credit they deserve because of their history.

The game has not changed, only the players.

03-19-05, 02:17 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I agree with most of your points, for example, I dont really think the game has changed too much either, apart from the lamentable fact of fewer mind puzzles and too many physical/gross food challenges now. Each season though, the overall mood of the game changes a little due to some new players who have learned (bad) habits from previous seasons' players. It's not necessarily a bad thing - it certainly makes the game more unpredictable, exciting, interesting, controversial... Agreed, it's great TV, but we don't ALL have to like that sort of behaviour, and I think that most of us would agree - if that kind of behaviour was seen in real life, and in particular, directed AGAINST us, we probably wouldn't like it.

I think it's very unfair of you to judge us Romber-haters, saying that the only reason we hate their actions, is BECAUSE we hate Romber and we're too shallow/stupid/prejudiced to like ANYTHING they do because of the fact that we hate them. As explained above (see my previous entry), it's the actions we hate, pure and simple, regardless of WHO had perpertrated them, whether it's Romber, or a team that I like, Lynn and Alex for example. Just to show you I can be unbiased, yes, I love Lynn/Alex... but I also thought they were stupid and d*ckheads to chuck a tantie in the fish market, and likewise, think they're idiots because their focus is on beating Romber rather than concentrating on winning the game. Similarly, I did not hate Team Guido as much as I dislike Romber... I thought they were pretty well-travelled and ran a good race... but I agree, what they did at the airport was unforgivable and worse than anything that Romber have done... so far...

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-05, 08:12 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I agree with watermelon in that I don't think you should lump all Romber haters into one category. Everyone likes/dislikes teams for their own reasons.

I could care less if Rob wants to lie, cheat and steal to win the game as long as it is within the rules of the game. This is where I have a problem with happened with the eating challenge. The rules for this challenge were not appropriate for what transpired (IMHO). If someone thinks they can not complete the challenge then they should have been able to "quit". However, I think there should have been a time penalty given starting after the last team left the challenge. Leaving behind everyone that "quit". I think the penalty should be strong enough to make you not want to quit and would make you try the challenge. Some of you that are saying the Rob "quit" was well thought out...well, I think it was well thought out AFTER he knew he couldn't eat the meat. Once he "quit" he knew he was done for unless he convinced others to do the same.

As far as Rob goes, I don't care if he lies, cheats or steals (like I said above) but I do not like anyone that is arrogant. No one has to tell me over and over how great and brilliant they are...I can figure that out all on my own!

03-19-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I did not lump all Romber haters into one category. What I said was I think "many" people's opinions of Romber are a result of their Survivor actions or just a general dislike - I never said "ALL", I didn't even say "most". Having read the messages posted to these boards I still think this is a correct statement.

03-19-05, 03:42 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-05 AT 03:54 PM (EST)

First off...Welcome to the boards!

The way I see the use of "many" and "most" in this discussion are very close to categorizing. I guess that is just the way I see it.

I hated Rob on Survivor and I don't like Rob on TAR...it has nothing to do with his game play (as I said above, he can lie, cheat and steal all he wants), it is his attitude and arrogance. I don't like people with these characteristics!

03-19-05, 04:57 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-05 AT 04:59 PM (EST)

Thanks for the welcome!

I certainly understand your position and never meant to disparage it. I have no problem with well thought out and supported arguments. And I recognize that there is a difference between hating them because of their personality and hating them because of their game play. It's just that I have read many posts by other people that are so filled with hatred and venom to Romber that is clear to me that they could turn water to wine and some posters will complain that it is irresponsible of them to introduce alcohol into the race!

I just didn't like that some posters were accusing them of ruining TAR when their actions are nothing new.

ETA to fix spelling. D'oh!

03-19-05, 05:08 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
Yeah, I do know where you are coming from. I am prolly gonna open a can of worms with this but...I think one of the strongest couples to play the race was Colin/Christie. I don't remember them ever playing the way Romber is playing but they were very strong. However, they had their own personal relationship problems which made them enemies by most viewers.

Now, I am not saying that Rob's appearance on Survivor hasn't caused some of the sentiment against him. I can't say that Amber has made anyone upset with her actions because of something she did on Survivor because she did nothing...NOTHING!

It is interesting to hear everyone's thoughts though!

03-19-05, 06:29 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I agree. I couldn't stand C/C and yet I felt they were excellent racers. But man they drove me crazy...

I was shocked in the last episode (or maybe the one before?) that Amber was actually doing something - something not related to a roadblock. In one of the scenes you can see her in the back seat with the map directing Rob which way to drive. There's hope yet for her...

03-20-05, 01:24 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I don't hate Amber, but I don't really like her either because all she does is sit there looking pretty. I am mad that she won A.S.S. because imo, she's useless and didn't do anything to deserve winning the cash, but I'm not mad at her personally. To tell the truth, much as I hate Rob, I would have preferred him to win the million in the end rather than Amber, coz at least he did work to win that money.

03-20-05, 08:13 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I agree totally!

03-19-05, 10:54 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
<if it wasn't Rob and Amber, but some unknown team,

I don't know Rob and Amber, as I'm new to Survivor.

Though I don't want TAR to become all about lying, cheating, and underhandedness, I've got to say that I've gotten a kick out of Romber's antics. I think they've been darn clever, no matter how low-down their tactics have been.

I want to tune in each week to see what's coming next from team Romber.

Would I want to spend time with them? No. Do I enjoy watching them race? You bet.

Swrdprincess 121 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-05, 08:15 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I don't care how they play I just want them to lose cuz I HATE his accent! lol

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

03-23-05, 01:17 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Just thought I'd ask a question"
I like the horseshoe up his a__.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •