The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-08-04, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
I have been complaining about previous TAR, and that to go around the world you have to send the racers to Third World countries, and sure enough, after the safety nets of Iceland, Norway, & Sweden....Senegal is definitely Third World.

However, before everyone gets judgmental please be advised that arriving in a third world country at night, after a long flight, is an experience all unto itself! There is a mutual hussle that goes on, and you have to be quick and skillful. The arriving traveler needs to get transportation and shelter, and the hustler is willing to provide both....and it is necessary to make a deal that is safe and mutually advantageous.

I have not been to Senegal, so I cannot comment on what it takes to make things happen in Dakar,but I believe that the drill is the same for third world arrivals, and I would not be so quick to put down the racers for comments edited in by the producers. People like Flo, Ian, from prior seasons, and Jonathan can still be jerks, but navigating the airport arrival in the third world can be tough, and it is different then traveling within a third country. It all takes skill....so I am less judgmental about the current group being pompous, condescending, or god forbid...politically incorrect, as some other post(s) seem to be to quick, in my opinion, to jump on the teams in this season.

In general I was impressed that all of teams seemed to make it happen for themselves in last nights episode. So bash away on me if you like. If you have traveled independently, weigh in on the topic of arrivals vs. traveling within the third world.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... geg6 12-08-04 1
   RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... iwannabearealitystar 12-09-04 2
       RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... okaychatt 12-09-04 4
           RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... Just Plain Bill 12-09-04 7
               RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... Earl Colby Pottinger 12-09-04 9
 RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... Risti 12-09-04 3
   RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... okaychatt 12-09-04 5
       RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... Starshine 12-13-04 11
 RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... boateng 12-09-04 6
   RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... Starshine 12-09-04 8
 RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd W... sittem 12-09-04 10
 No excuse for Kendra kiki_k 12-15-04 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-08-04, 04:10 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
I am perfectly willing to excuse a bit of off center behavior due to the rigors of travel and stress of being in a race, but there is simply no excuse for rude, inconsiderate, racist behavior. I was always taught when I was a guest anywhere to be extra careful to be polite. Loudly criticizing everything and everyone and insisting that they speak your language in their country is plain rude.

Not to mention that these idiots KNEW they would be going to places like this. A little research about traveling in underdeveloped countries would be in order, don't ya think?

Sorry, no excuses for plain bad behavior.

iwannabearealitystar 592 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-09-04, 01:41 AM (EST)
2. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
The racers shold not act like American Royalty in these countries, but, I lay some of the blame on TAR editors. They should not put the offensive comments on TV to perpetuate stereotypes, they are just as guilty!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-09-04, 03:54 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
<should not put the offensive comments on TV to perpetuate stereotypes, they are just as guilty

Except that the comments are fairly typical of Ugly Americans, I think.

Once on a cruise in the Caribbean, Georgetown actually,we were hiking our way back to the ship when a Burger King popped into view. Being thirsty, we stopped in for a soft drink and got in line with fellow travelers.

I am embarrassed to say that the boor just ahead of us asked, "Well, how much is that in REAL money?"

The clerk politely told him the U.S. equivalent and had to listen to the ignorant, arrogant U.S. idiot complain for another minute or so.

Anxious to show not all Americans are like that, we apologized to the clerk who graciously smiled and moved on.

I hesitate to think what might have happened in a third world country not particularly used to dealing with a$$es like that.

A little research, a little mental preparation, and a chameleonlike attempt at blending would go a long way in improving our image in other countries.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Just Plain Bill 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-09-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
<<Except that the comments are fairly typical of Ugly Americans, I think. <snip> had to listen to the ignorant, arrogant U.S. idiot complain for another minute or so.>>

For some arrogant comments not uttered by an American, read Mark Burnett's interview in the current issue of TV Guide.

<<Anxious to show not all Americans are like that, we apologized to the clerk who graciously smiled and moved on.>>

Why would you apologize for a stranger's rude behavior? Did you think the clerk could not make the distinction between an individual and an entire nationality? This jerk probably also gives clerks at his local Burger King a similar hard time.

The people who act civilly at 'home' will tend to behave the same way abroad. Those who behave like a**es at home won't change their approach while traveling.

If you had stuck around for the next busload of German or Swiss or English tourists, you would likely have seen a fair amount of boorish behavior from that group as well. I've traveled in 35 countries at last count and I can say with certainty that rude behavior while traveling abroad is not the exclusive province of Americans.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-09-04, 03:19 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
<<Anxious to show not all Americans are like that, we apologized to the clerk who graciously smiled and moved on.>>

>Why would you apologize for a stranger's rude behavior? Did you think the clerk could not make the distinction between an individual and an entire nationality? This jerk probably also gives clerks at his local Burger King a similar hard time.

No, he may not! It is the rude customers you normally remember, the good ones are lost from memory. Thier actions not only helps the clerk's view but also any other locals who were in the store and who don't meet that many american relatively.

>The people who act civilly at 'home' will tend to behave the same way abroad.

Sorry, but there seems to also be a class of people who are polite at home, but the moment they are travelling and think that the responses can not follow them home, they turn into monsters.

>If you had stuck around for the next busload of German or Swiss or English tourists, you would likely have seen a fair amount of boorish behavior from that group as well. I've traveled in 35 countries at last count and I can say with certainty that rude behavior while traveling abroad is not the exclusive province of Americans.

True but it is my understanding that most often those are some of the nicest people in thier home country.

Risti 190 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-09-04, 03:47 AM (EST)
3. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
I have to say... I was quite unimpressed with the production team for setting it up so that the non-elimination round, where they knew a team was going to end up having to beg for money, was placed in a setting like this. After three episodes of diddling around Western Europe, they time it so that they're in a third world country for this stage in the game. I'm not saying they should have had a non-elim round earlier, but rather arranged the schedule a bit better. They're in a tourist area, yes, but from the look of the scenery in the last segment of the episode, it's not the resort hotel often frequented by the cast and crew while in poorer nations. I don't remember it being quite this bad last season(although I could be wrong - I do remember India, but it was a more touristy area, so it seemed), but I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come...

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-09-04, 03:58 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
<unimpressed with the production team for setting it up so that the non-elimination round, where they knew a team was going to end up having to beg for money, was placed in a setting like this

Have to agree. Though it does make good tv, it would be nice if some attempt were made to improve our international image in third world countries, rather than perpetuate the All About Me/My Way or the Highway image we currently hold.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

12-13-04, 03:40 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-04 AT 03:40 AM (EST)

For some reason it seems that the producers are determined to only have teams lose all their money in third world countries, which just seems tactless in the extreme.

However the thing that really annoys me is that Don and Mary-Jane will garner money from other tourists. I have travelled, and I know that giving to beggars can cause one to be seen as a cash machine, but I would much prefer that people gave 1 dollar to 10 people to whom it would actually do some good, than 10 dollars to an arrogant pair to whom it will not really make a difference.

<edited for spelling error>

boateng 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-09-04, 07:54 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
I really enjoy TAR in the 3rd world. It's a more challenging environment to negotiate, with less reliable travel and communication, and the locales are more exotic and less familiar. The Rose Lake in Senegal, for instance, was really neat.
I do think the producers could do better with selection of contestants in the future, picking people who actually enjoy travelling and seeing new places, rather than spoiled American princessess (not to mention any names) who complain about the way the place smells and looks instead of relishing the opportunity to see such a different country.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

12-09-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
The trouble is that a lot of people I know travel first class (OK not first class, but air conditioned coaches, 4 or 5 star hotels etc.), and i suspect that a lot of the "model" couples think that the race is going to be like that, and so think that they want to travel.

Hmm haven't backpacked for about eight years, I may be a comfort traveller now as well <shudder> - Now where is that rough guide to Turkmenistan?

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-09-04, 05:28 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Observation on TAR in the 3rd World"
mocha - you make some good observations. I do cut them all some slack, except for Adam saying "Africa sucks" and Kendra saying "we're in the middle of ghetto Africa".

We entered Africa on our first overseas trip through Dakar in January this year and it IS a rude awakening! The airport is intimidating and you are definitely susceptible to getting hustled. Under the circumstances they might have been better off working together to make some arrangements right out of the airport (as they seemed to do at the cemetary for housing when they coudln't get in).

As I stated on Fanatics (skip this if you've been there), Dakar is a VERY dark city at night - there is little public lighting and in many neighborhoods there is NONE. Also, unless you speak French or Wolof you probably can't communicate with your taxi driver and most likely the cab is falling apart, is dirty and smelly. So, I understand the scary stuff. I also understand the smelly/sewer comments. Dakar has domestic animials everywhere, open sewers in many places, diesel fuel, a LOT of incense, open fires, etc. Also, keep in mind that in third world countries personal hygiene is NOT a priority, nor is it even remotely possible to the extent that we practice it. After you've been there a little while you get used to it.

On the same trip we also flew into Cameroon which wasn't quite as difficult (except for horrendous humidity and a LONG walk from the gate), but a more controlled scene in and around baggage. Nairobi, Kenya was fairly similar to an American airport once we emerged - no one else allowed in baggage and only valid transportation people outside. However, we did arrive there at 6 a.m. (but I am told that's the way it is anyway).

Someone else (forgive me for forgetting) made this comment in the thresd, "I have to say... I was quite unimpressed with the production team for setting it up so that the non-elimination round, where they knew a team was going to end up having to beg for money, was placed in a setting like this."

I can't remember all the details of the "begging" locations last season, but this one isn't all that bad. I don't know that it'll be easy, but if there's anyplace in Dakar that attracts visitors/tourists as a centralized place, Goree Island is it. There are some very exclusive hotels up near the airport and the beaches northwest of there, but Goree is a far more interesting spot for the pit stop. It had the challenge of catching a ferry and there is obviously some kind of activity they'll do while there before leaving. I can't think of a better place for them to be begging for money anywhere else in Dakar than this. At hotels your only possiblity of getting money would be from fellow guests.

For other Senegal observations see my thresd on Fanatics.

Sigpic by the fantabulous Mon Cherie!

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-15-04, 02:31 AM (EST)
12. "No excuse for Kendra"
mocha, what you say is most likely true -- but I cannot excuse Kendra's comment tonight about how "they keep breeding and breeding." This was way beyond the "stress of travel" comments, which I am willing to excuse due to the conditions. This "breeding" comment was so offensive to me, I actually e-mailed CBS with a complaint -- it should have been edited out, not to make Kendra look good, because I think it is (1) horrible to talk about people as if they were livestock; (2) I have an appreciation for what a high "infant mortality rate" means (although, Dakar isn't as bad an example as in other places).
Lord, I was waiting for the break out in song:
"The rich get richer
and the poor get more children,
In the morning, in the evening,
Ain't we got fun"

Kendra better not win this thing.

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •