The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mikey 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-29-11, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
right? Like if you lose your hearing, your sense of taste should be heightened, right?

Maybe not.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... Starshine 03-29-11 1
   RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... dabo 03-29-11 2
   RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... PepeLePew13 03-29-11 3
       RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... Snidget 03-29-11 4
 RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... Molaholic 04-06-11 5
   RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... Belle Book 04-06-11 6
   RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... PepeLePew13 04-07-11 7
       RE: If you lose one sense, your oth... Starshine 04-07-11 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-29-11, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
I don't understand.

I think the theory is that when one loses one sense one uses the others more intensely to help out, so if one cannot hear it could be possible that ones sight improves, or rather one notices things that other people don't in order to be able to catch things that hearing people would catch by sound.

I can't really see how taste would help someone who cannot hear.

Pepe, what do you think?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-29-11, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
Lose the use of your legs you become more dependant on your arms and your arms become stronger, you are using them more, but this is simply muscle development and conditioning. If you have bad eyes you compensate by learning to process what visual input you receive, for instance if you lack depth perception you learn to process depth more through geometric relations. This is cerebral awareness. Lose your sight entirely, go blind, you become more dependant on your other senses, use your hearing more for spatial relations (which you already do anyway), but it is still a matter of cerebral awareness not muscle development. Losing one sense doesn't improve the other senses, it increases dependance upon them. In a sense you just see things differently. Hope that helps.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-11, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
I'll echo what dabo said.

Eyesight or other senses do not improve when you're missing something such as the ability to hear -- you do find ways to compensate for any gaps and you do learn to pick up things in other ways that the average person might not, which is equally true for each sense or limb lost. Lose an arm? Find a way to get up or do things with one arm instead of two. Can't hear? Use eyes to pick up clues as to what's around you instead of depending on your ears to pick up sounds to avoid getting run over. Can't taste? Read up on literature to tell you which foods are poisonous or will scorch your tongue. And so on...

It's a survival instinct that we all have when faced with a barrier or situation out of the norm. Think of the folks from the movie, "Alive" or Aron Ralston in "127 Hours" ... none of us would seriously think of cutting off an arm or eating another human being, but when your back is completely against the wall with no other options, you'll find a way to survive.

So... no, Luke being unable to hear would have absolutely zero impact on his being able (unable) to detect different flavours of tea. Visually, perhaps, if he was able to recall the specific shade of colour of the tea, but if he didn't take note of the colour back in China, he would have been equally SOL as everyone else upon arriving in India hours later.

We had a Deaf Awareness Day (in addition to other awareness days) in our community a few years ago where various local VIPs were invited to wear a pair of earplugs and spend a few hours out in the community without depending on their ears. We almost made the news in a negative manner in a big way - the most well-known city councillor was inches away from being crushed by a bus because she didn't hear it coming and wasn't used to having to look around at all times. Most people take their five senses for granted, so when one is gone all of a sudden, they don't know how to react initially but will eventually learn to survive without it.

Try picking up the symbols with your eyes closed the next time you see a braille sign. You can't tell the difference between each letter at first. But when your survival depends on it, you'll find out how quickly you pick up on it and be able to 'read' things and move around without the use of eyes.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-11, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
And I think which senses you learn to rely on or cope with depends to some extent on the person.

Some people have more sensitive taste buds to start with, but that doesn't help much when trying to tell if a bus is coming. You don't go from having normal taste to a "super-taster" from losing another sense.

I know from some research projects I've been on when I use a particular sense in a new way over time it can be more acute for that particular application. So I suspect that it would be the same with losing a sense, it doesn't cause all the others to amplify equally, but the ones you start depending on and using more become stronger with use.

I still worry a mockingbird is out to kill the blind by where I worked. The pedestrian walk way chirps when it stops traffic and one of the mockingbirds was duplicating the chirp so exactly I even stepped off the curb a few times and I could see that the light hadn't changed.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-11, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
I agree - it isn't the lose of the sense that improves the acuity of the others -- it's the added use or importance that builds 'strength'. Wine/tea connoisseurs can detect minuet differences in taste, artists see color changes, woodworkers can feel a millimeter sized scratch because of experience and training.

Luke got caught in a dirty trick -- a crucial piece of information was presented as just another hum-drum thing to do and move on. He got frustrated, had some horrible luck, and had to endure. He did.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-06-11, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
And artists of any stripe can see patterns -- ask Alex from Estee's Survivor fanfic, who solved many puzzles because she was a cartoonist and hence an artist.

Incidentally, all the Racers who did the Roadblock had the same problem inasmuch as they too had a crucial piece of information presented as just another hum-drum thing to do. But Ron was smart enough to start sniffing the tea before tasting it, and two other people did the same thing, at least.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-11, 06:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
This is going to change how future participants prepare during the race - a smart team is going to be writing everything down that happens along the way that is related to a stop along the way as told by a clue, no matter how minor it may seem. Big thick notebooks and several pens are going to become de rigueur from here on.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-07-11, 07:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: If you lose one sense, your other senses become stronger,"
Just like the Mole!

Imagine though, Amanda and Kris run to the finish line, there aren't any of the other final three teams there, everyone is cheering, Phil says "Over 40,000 miles, 14 countries, you are the first team to arrive at the final pitstop, However, before I can check you in... What was the flavour of that tea you drank in China?"

Four years later Myrna and Charla stroll in to take the win

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •