The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Urban_Kitten 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-28-06, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Urban_Kitten Click to send private message to Urban_Kitten Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
I used to think that if I were ever accepted as a TAR racer, I would make an attempt to learn how to pronounce a few of the world's more predominant place names (Mauritius) and know approximately where they're found on a map (Kimberley's: "from Casablanca, we have to go on to Morocco ...").

But with our racers' keen inability to identify the letter O (as in Ouzarzate), I'm thinking that a crash course in the alphabet song, a few Mattel See & Say's and some alphabet flash cards might be in order.

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start... dabo 11-28-06 1
 RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start... Peetah 11-28-06 2
   RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start... Urban_Kitten 11-28-06 3
       Pssst! michel 11-28-06 4
           RE: Pssst! jbug 11-29-06 5
       RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start... Peetah 11-29-06 6
 You say Ouarzazate, and I say Quarz... tamarama 11-30-06 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-28-06, 03:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
We mustn't underestimate American blundering. (Casablanca)
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-28-06, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Peetah Click to send private message to Peetah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-06 AT 03:42 PM (EST)

Actually, sometimes it is spelled beginning with a "Q". A lot of Arabic places are spelled numerous ways depending on the translation. Whoever said it this way may have been looking at a map with that spelling.

True, the clue had the spelling begin with "O", but if you really weren't familiar with the place, wouldn't you accept both?

For confirmation of numerous spellings, look at all the spellings for Qaddaffi, or is it Ghaddafi, Khadafi, etc.

Urban_Kitten 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-28-06, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Urban_Kitten Click to send private message to Urban_Kitten Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
With all due respect, Q's and O-sounds are not mistaken in Arabic. I speak Arabic and I live in Morocco.

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-06, 09:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Pssst!"
It was Ouarzazate.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-06, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Pssst!"
>It was Ouarzazate.

ROFLOL !!!!!!
Good one!

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-29-06, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Peetah Click to send private message to Peetah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Since when does Ouzarzate start with a Q?"
I'm sorry if I offended you; please accept my apologies.

I rewatched the tape, and several teams pronounced it with a "Q" and sometimes an "O" alternately. So I'm not sure that the clue didn't have a "Q" afterall. Only Phil's voiceovers and maps had a consistant "O".

To clarify my earlier post, I have seen Ouarzazate spelled with a "Q" in an article about Atlas studios. I don't know about the racers, but I think it's a translation thing.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-30-06, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "You say Ouarzazate, and I say Quarzazate..."
I googled "Quarzazate" and got PAGES of hits --
Some tourism sites like this:
http://www.andalucia.com/morocco/destinations/quarzazate.htm

And this hotel -- NAMED Hotel Belere Quarzazate, but LOCATED in Ourzazate:
http://hotels.hotelopia.com/morocco/ouarzazate/hotel-belere-quarzazate.html

This scientific report seems to use both spellings interchangibly:
http://www.tropos.de/samum/publications/SAMUM_Overview_E.pdf

Clearly the name has been spelled both ways. I wasn't able to find anything that could tell me why, or if the "Q" is a European spelling or the "Old" spelling -- or maybe "Quarzazate" is a region and "Ouarzazate" is the city.

Perhaps "Ouarzazate" is the official spelling, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that the racers were saying "Q" because they're stupid. I doubt they could 'accidently' pronounce it that way.

If you live in Morrocco, I'm surprised you don't know why it's spelled both ways.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •