The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Dear Tom and Terry"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-25-06, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Dear Tom and Terry"
Considering how many other stereotypes you seem to be fulfilling, I am really surprised that I need to write you this note. Listen, guys, it's time to talk about your hair. Yes, I imagine those long locks were all the rage back in the 70s, but you have to keep in mind that was a decade when you were still capable of growing hair uniformly on your heads.

It appears that neither of you has a dominant GFH gene (Gay Fashion and Hair), though that little ass-spanking pantomime about riding horses suggests at least one of you got the GBD gene (Gay Bondage-Domination). Anyway, since your GFH gene seems to be recessive, I am here to tell you:

It is time to cut the hair short. You don't need to shave your head completely, but for the love of Mary Adam, please, please, please trim it to a reasonable and more attractive length (horns not necessary). There's nothing wrong with aging. You should have enough style to at least do it gracefully though.

Sincerely,
HD

P.S. Please tell David and Mary to stop dressing alike. Such behavior is reserved for the 'mos. Theyt probably don't realize since they never met a 'mo before.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry J Slice 09-25-06 1
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry ginger 09-25-06 2
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry jolathe 09-25-06 4
       RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 09-26-06 11
           RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 09-27-06 19
               RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 09-27-06 20
                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Tahj 09-27-06 22
                       RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 09-27-06 23
                           RE: Dear Tom and Terry Tahj 09-27-06 24
                               RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 09-27-06 25
                                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 09-27-06 26
                                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Tahj 09-28-06 34
                                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-06 51
                           Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 27
                               RE: Just my two cents LibraRising 09-28-06 28
                                   RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 29
                               RE: Just my two cents Tahj 09-28-06 32
                                   RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 33
                                       RE: Just my two cents Tahj 09-28-06 35
                                           RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 36
                                               RE: Just my two cents bystander 09-28-06 37
                                                   RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 38
                                                       RE: Just my two cents bystander 09-28-06 39
                                                           RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 09-28-06 40
                                                               RE: Just my two cents bystander 09-28-06 41
                                                                   RE: Just my two cents RollDdice 10-01-06 48
                                                                       RE: Just my two cents brvnkrz 10-02-06 55
                                               RE: Just my two cents Tahj 09-28-06 42
                               RE: Just my two cents Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-06 50
                                   RE: Just my two cents MasterTech 10-09-06 59
                   Hey! udg 09-29-06 46
                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-06 49
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry emydi 09-25-06 3
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry dabo 09-25-06 5
       RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 09-25-06 6
           RE: Dear Tom and Terry Estee 09-26-06 14
               RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 09-26-06 15
                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry bystander 09-26-06 16
               RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-06 52
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Max Headroom 09-25-06 9
       RE: Dear Tom and Terry emydi 09-25-06 10
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry alec7 09-25-06 7
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry FishWoman 09-27-06 17
       RE: Dear Tom and Terry alec7 09-27-06 18
           RE: Dear Tom and Terry FishWoman 09-27-06 21
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 09-25-06 8
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 09-26-06 12
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry dabo 09-26-06 13
       RE: Dear Tom and Terry globespinner 09-28-06 30
           RE: Dear Tom and Terry brvnkrz 09-28-06 31
           RE: Dear Tom and Terry Peetah 09-29-06 43
               RE: Dear Tom and Terry globespinner 09-29-06 44
                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Peetah 09-29-06 45
                       RE: Dear Tom and Terry globespinner 09-29-06 47
                   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-06 53
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 10-02-06 54
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry dabo 10-02-06 56
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Karchita 10-02-06 57
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry maryellennaco 10-09-06 58
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 10-09-06 60
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 10-09-06 61
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry Tonya_Harding 10-12-06 62
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry Earl Colby Pottinger 10-12-06 63
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry HistoryDetective 10-12-06 64
   RE: Dear Tom and Terry LibraRising 10-13-06 66
 RE: Dear Tom and Terry maryellennaco 10-12-06 65

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I noticed the awful Phil Collins hair, too.

hm.

maybe some kind of "Do something gay" challenge is in order.

Any ideas?

"Go perfume shopping like Oswald and Danny?"

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Too right - in addition to imaginary ponies, they are riding my last nerve.

You know, some people marry someone with a little yin to compliment their own yangness.

Others go for their own CLONES. Can you tell these guys apart? I can't. And they both make Richard Simmons look like Charles Bronson. John Ritter swished less being oh-so-hilariously queer on Three's The Worst Sitcom Ever.

Just bleck.

jolathe 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-25-06, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jolathe Click to send private message to jolathe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I was sure bummed to see the girls get phileminated instead of these two. And not just because I'm not gay either. I know several gay people and they don't act like that. Ever.
I would much rather see the token eye-candy than the token, over-the-top-exploit-every-stereotype-in-the-book queers.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-26-06, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
You might want to talk again to those gay people you know, because they might tell you that they don't particularly like being called "queers." Thanks.

A kyngsladye klassic with an IceCat chaser

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-27-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
That may be his point, the people he knows are 'gay'. These two act 'queer', they do not act like real-world 'gays'.

09-27-06, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-06 AT 02:47 PM (EST)

These two act 'queer', they do not act like real-world 'gays'.

That absolutely is one of my pet peeves. What does a "real-world gay" act like? And why is it assumed that a derogatory term to an overall group is acceptable whenever referencing someone who doesn't fit that imaginary description? Chris Rock made it work, but very few others have.

Yes, these guys are femme, cloying, mincing queens. And if I find them somewhat annoying, I can see how Mary Sue and Jim Bob in Des Moines, who don't know much more about the gays than cousin Bruce who visits with his roommate each Thanksgiving, might find them unbearably grating. But: I'm willing to bet I know a few more gay men than the average poster here, so I'm here to tell you -- there are a lot of guys out there exactly like them. And while nobody has to like them or root for them, they certainly are under no obligation to butch themselves up to make themselves more palatable to the mainstream as they become Supreme Ambassadors For The Community Of Gay Americans (founder: Jim McGreevey, 2004).

This is not addressing anyone in the thread, but is a general statement. When the nightmares known as Lynn and Alex were on the show, quite a few were using it as an opportunity to wrap in some pretty nasty statements about the gay community as a whole in the name of bashing. I'm curious to see if that happens again.

etf: html

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-27-06, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Since this is the bashing forum, I haven't posted in it, because I have nothing to bash about them. I like them, stereotypes or not. They seem quite genuine. I'm posting now because I agree with Libra in that a couple of comments are leaning toward gay bashing and people need to be aware of it.

It's a Tribe!

09-27-06, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I've had very mixed feelings about the line where having fun ends and derogatory bashing begins. I agree that no one on a reality television show is under any obligation to be the Gay Poster Child to Red State America --- that I want all gay people to be accepted for who they are, not just those gay people who mold themselves to fit some sort of stereotypical "straight" or "masculine" model.

As I have stated previously, I do have issues with some of the casting decisions, especially those involving gay men. I liked Chip and Reichen in the fourth season. I especially liked the speech that they gave at the end. I liked that they may have helped to explode some stereotypes --- but I don't think that being athletic or "butch" should be a requirement for a gay man to appear on a reality television program.

At the same time, I wish that the producers would cast more gay men like the ones I know instead of just the constant parade of "nelly" guys. I still wonder if it just a coincidence that TAR has not featured any more "butch" gay men since Chip and Reichen won in the fourth season.

I don't think that Tom and Terry should be assumed to be interchangeable with all gay men ... but I don't want to be so PC that nobody can have some fun at their expense either.

My biggest pet peeve is how much sexual humor in the discussions of previous seasons has revolved around the gay men --- as if straight women and straight men do not engage in most of the same activities --- or get interested in similar things in their partners. Fortunately, the cheerleaders and their Cocks have deflected some of that this season.

09-27-06, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I guess my perception of nelly guys may differ from yours, HD, in that I wouldn't have said there is a constant parade of nelly guys.

My instant thought when I read that was--it wasn't that long ago that we were complaining that no gays were cast in anything. Now it's a fairly regular occurrence.
I'm not saying we should leave it at that. There still aren't enough positive portrayals of gays in the media, but still, they are there.

Tom and Terry represent a certain segment of the gay culture or population and they have done nothing to be ashamed of, IMO. That doesn't mean they aren't bash-worthy, but I have to admit, your post made me uncomfortable. I don't mean that as a criticism of you, I'm just saying that was my reaction.

Tribe rocked my sig!

09-27-06, 07:19 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-06 AT 07:23 PM (EST)

I intentionally put "nelly" in quotation marks so as not to give a specific definition, but I do think that the gay men I see on reality television shows (TAR and others) tend to fulfill a greater number of stereotypes than the average gay man that I know.

I've read enough history of media studies that I get sensitive about the argument that "at least gay people are being included now." For years, actors of non-white racial/ethnic backgrounds got pigeonholed into negative portrayals. It makes me wonder if I should really be happy about gay people getting their chance to see "themselves" on television if what they see is merely an exaggeration that serves to reinforce stereotypes.

I think that Tom and Terry are pretty ridiculous, but it has nothing to do with their orientation. That horsey routine at the checkpoint was just silly. And I would be picking on their hair whether they were gay, straight, or whatever. I look at them and wonder if they look in the mirror before they leave the house. How could anybody think that looks good?

And, yes, I played on the gay stereotype by suggesting that as gay men they should be concerned about their appearance. I know that my experience in the gay community has demonstrated that gay men are some of the most unforgiving when it comes to physical beauty, which might be an incentive for them to actually pay attention to their appearance since so many gay men are conditioned to do so. Good for them if they are willing to rise above that mentality --- but I still wonder why anybody would chose to be less attractive when a simple haircut would make them more attractive.

ETA: I'm not much of a fan of David's hair either... I'm shallow enough to suggest that maybe he needed a makeover show more than he needed TAR.

09-27-06, 10:54 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
And I should point out that I certainly have no problem with bashing the guys or the initial post. And God knows my reputation with product hair gel.

It was just the seemingly derogatory use of the word "queer" that gave me pause. I know it's not necessarily a guidelines violation, but I just wanted to point out that for some of us, it's a rather offensive word to use.

09-28-06, 12:31 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I've read enough history of media studies that I get sensitive about the argument that "at least gay people are being included now." For years, actors of non-white racial/ethnic backgrounds got pigeonholed into negative portrayals. It makes me wonder if I should really be happy about gay people getting their chance to see "themselves" on television if what they see is merely an exaggeration that serves to reinforce stereotypes.

Well, I guess it's a no win situation then. At least we have the chance to respond to the negative portrayals when they occur, just as the the actors you mentioned above did. And, I think you would agree those portrayals have changed tremendously for the better.

As for Tom and Terry improving their personal appearance, I have no problem with bashing that. Personally, I think they look fine, and I've seen much worse. They obviously don't have a problem with each other's appearance and they seem like a very happy couple, which is a more important representation to me than anything else.

Tribe rocked my sig!

10-01-06, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
YES! That is the point, there are lots about them that is wrong no matter who they look to for a partner.

I shave my head now, because with my moving hairline (plus gray hairs now), no hair cut will look good on me. Five years ago I faced the facts, no amount of combing/brushing was going to make me look, so off it all goes! I still have my girl-friend (she is a looker and get hit on all the time) so it must be working.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-06, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "Just my two cents"
Sometimes too much is read into comments. It's almost as if people are looking for something that isn't there. There is sort of a double standard that we can use the word "nelly" or "queer" but then turn around and acuse others of bashing when using the same terminology. Their gayness and lack of the good gay hair gene was brought up in the original post. That was stereotyping gay men just as much as anything else I have heard here.
As a gay woman? my thoughts on these two? Whiney, stereotypical queers. And that is exactly what I said to my GF as I rolled my eyes at them. But then, I'm not a huge fan of "nelly boys".
I suppose we could replace the stereotypical gay men with a couple of butch lesbians. We don't see many of them on reality shows.

IMO, I didn't really see anything here that appeared to be bashing. Or even borderline bashing. But that could be because I consider the fact that these two ARE in fact filling quite a few of the gay man stereotypes. That's their doing, that's how they choose to represent the world of gay men. *shrug*

09-28-06, 10:15 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Just my two cents"
When "queer" is coming from a known source, that's one thing. But the original context here had nothing that suggested an in-joke or irony.

I'm not a huge fan of "nelly boys".

But you like me, right?

09-28-06, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Just my two cents"
I know. But sometimes it just seems like "we" jump to conclusions about other poster's intent and assume that they are bashing when many times they are not. *sigh* I just honestly feel sometimes that we are overly sensitive and too quick to jump all over someone. Not everybody is a homophobe just because they use a certain term a certain way.

Of course I do. You? are adorable. *smooch*

09-28-06, 12:13 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Just my two cents"
IMO, I didn't really see anything here that appeared to be bashing. Or even borderline bashing. But that could be because I consider the fact that these two ARE in fact filling quite a few of the gay man stereotypes. That's their doing, that's how they choose to represent the world of gay men. *shrug*

Well, pardon them for living, I guess. Surely you don't really think they chose to represent themselves that way. The fact is many, many gay men behave in a stereotypical way because that's how they are. They aren't putting on some f'in act and they shouldn't be condemned for it. IMO, this IS gay bashing.

I'm all for representing a wider cross-section of the gay population in the media, but I'm certainly not going to criticize specific individuals for being who they are.

Tribe rocked my sig!

09-28-06, 12:22 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Just my two cents"
Then I guess I'm a gay basher. More accurately, I am a stereotype basher.
But that aside, you say you won't bash people for being who they are. This is bashers. Jonathon was bashed for being a jerkwad. That is who he is and he was free game to be bashed. Just as was Mary Adam and a whole list of other TAR contestants. Why is flamboyance an exception?
I'm not trying to argue with you, Tahj. I just wonder why in bashers we are allowed to attack any other part of people's personalities but as soon as it has to do with sexuality the gay population calls foul. That's all. I'm just trying to understand.

09-28-06, 12:48 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Just my two cents"
I don't know, Knockers, maybe I am being oversensitve. I have a tendency to support the underdogs.

I guess my reaction is more about your statement that they are choosing to represent themselves in a stereotypical way. I just don't see that. I think I tend to bash behavior I find offensive, like Jonathon's, and especially like Lynn and Alex's last year. I found their behavior deplorable--nasty and mean-spirited--and I bashed them plenty. It had nothing to do with them being gay--I don't think I bashed them for anything having to do with that. Their behavior was independent of being straight or gay, as was Jonathon's.

In my mind, how people behave and who they really are are often two different things. Not always, but often.

Tribe rocked my sig!

09-28-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Just my two cents"
I guess my point really was that nobody had a problem with HD using stereotypes in his post but then it appeared that peeps were getting upset when other (perceived straight posters) were using stereotypes. HD's original post was about these two having bad hair and how gay men should know better. A stereotype. But then another poster commented about the nellyness or swishiness and suddenly peeps are gay bashers.
Ginger used the word "queer" and nobody seemed to jump on her.
I think that you are correct in saying that these two guys aren't acting like nellies, that they just are nellies. So yes, they are representing themselves as such because that's who they are. Mary Adam was as nelly as they came and it was okay to jump all over him.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Personally, I don't care for this team. Like someone down there said, they are boring in their swishiness.

bystander 4967 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-28-06, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Just my two cents"
Not to butt in, cuz as a bystander I usually just lurk around but I thought I should tell you that I don't care for them either but I would gladly turn lesbian for you!

09-28-06, 01:11 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Just my two cents"
By definition, you already sort of are a lesbian. *grin*
Wanna go play softaball in our flannel shirts and mullets and not shave our legs together?

09-28-06, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Just my two cents"
Yup, anything for you! I'll bring the 6-pack!

09-28-06, 01:19 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Just my two cents"
Cool. I'll bring my furniture. It will come in handy for our second date when we move in together.

09-28-06, 01:24 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Just my two cents"
That was fast & easy. I didn't even have to break out the boxed wine!

RollDdice 5659 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-06, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: Just my two cents"
I don't mean to be a drive-by poster, but I just wanted to say again how much I lvoe Bravie.

But I'm not trying to force my way into any leg non-shaving. Carry on.

10-02-06, 11:00 AM (EST)
55. "RE: Just my two cents"
*smooch*

09-28-06, 01:31 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Just my two cents"
HD's post did make me uncomfortable, but I didn't say anything until later, as the discussion progressed.

I responded differently to the way Ginger used it and they way the other poster used it. The tones are different to me.

Yeah, we could go on citing examples, kinda like exchanging bible quotes, lol, but in the end you're right, we agree to disagree.

I just needed to post my own point of view in this thread because there were some things that bothered me and I'm glad I have.

It's pretty clear that on gay issues many of us don't see things the same way, which now that I say it it seems obvious. I noticed that I was initially hesitant to say anything because I felt disloyal. My belief was, we gays need to stick together so it's not OK to disagree. But it is. There's no harm in it.

Tribe rocked my sig!

10-01-06, 05:15 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Just my two cents"
Please bring in the Butch Lesbians! Please!

After watching failures of the all girl teams on Treasure Hunters and TAR 9, I would *LOVE* to see an all girl team that can hold it own against the guys.

Really, when you see some of the teams that have won past TARs it is hard to believe that there are no all girl teams that could not do better. Leaving out the sexual side even, where are the women marines, the other marathon racers, the women natural lovers - When I go to Mountain Co-op in Toronto the Travel Photo Board shows pictures of dozens of women who could run 90% of the TAR racers into the ground. Why are they not on the show!!!!!!

MasterTech 57 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-09-06, 01:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MasterTech Click to send private message to MasterTech Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Just my two cents"

>Really, when you see some of
>the teams that have won
>past TARs it is hard
>to believe that there are
>no all girl teams that
>could not do better.
>Leaving out the sexual side
>even, where are the women
>marines, the other marathon racers,
>the women natural lovers -
>When I go to Mountain
>Co-op in Toronto the Travel
>Photo Board shows pictures of
>dozens of women who could
>run 90% of the TAR
>racers into the ground.
>Why are they not on
>the show!!!!!!

Watching TV seems like such an opposite activity for people with truly athletic lifestyles, so it's possible not many ever apply for such a show.

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-29-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "Hey!"
Quit making generalizations about people from Des Moines!

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004
It's the folks in Clarinda who have two first names! Duh.

10-01-06, 05:01 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I am not picking on them because they are gay or that they seem queeny.

To me they seem fake. They is something about the way they act and talk that seems forced, as if they have added an extra layer to thier normal selfs.

>What does a "real-world gay" act like?

Like a person! Most gays I have personally meet (a) I did not know them to be gay right away (first 5 minutes) unless they told me or I was told by someone else. And the very few who played it up so you knew within seconds of meeting them, did not ring with that sense of fakeness (instead it was clear they were enjoying themselves) that I am getting from Tom & Terry.

Tom & Terry come across like some salesmen I have met, at first they seem like great people to be talking to, but the more time I spend with them the more the sense of wrongness builds up. I can't point to any one thing and say this is clearly wrong, but the whole is not the sum of it's parts.

Do you get what I mean?

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
At least I'm true to myself...

Am I supposed to take advice from Tyler and James?!? EGAD I don't use that much STUFF in my hair!

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Oh, no, please, PLEASE!, don't start talking "product"!

09-25-06, 12:11 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
FWIW, I have never used the word "product" (it sounds so silly!) when what I really mean is gel, pomade, mousse, hairspray, or peanut butter.

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-06, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
...peanut butter?

(...don't want to know, don't want to know, don't want to know...)

09-26-06, 04:51 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
It works wonders when removing gum from hair.

09-26-06, 05:01 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Is THAT code?

10-01-06, 05:28 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Aside from removing gum, I think some nut oils are suppose to be very good for hair. Atleast I hope so as I paid close to a $100 of hair condition kit for my girlfriend. The main contents was an oil made from a South America nut (I would have to look up the site if you want details) and in Jamaica (I partly grew up there) CoCo Butter made again from a nut is widely used to condition hair.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Uh oh, Bebo's gonna come lookin' for you, using that siggie outside the BTAR thread!

I may not be bystander, but I've been busted previously

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I had to defend my, ahem, honor

alec7 17 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail alec7 Click to send private message to alec7 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Plus they're from NYC - you'd think the city would rebel at having such unfashionable people represent them. I could understand it better if they were from DC...

FishWoman 1510 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-27-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FishWoman Click to send private message to FishWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Boo! Hiss!

There is fashion in DC, you just have to know where to look!

~vintage tribephyl~

Why yes, I have lived and/or worked in the District for the last 15 years.

alec7 17 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-06, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail alec7 Click to send private message to alec7 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Since this thread was all about stereotypes I thought I'd throw another onto the fire. I live in DC too and know that not everybody here is a khakhi clad politico-zombie with bad shoes.

FishWoman 1510 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-27-06, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FishWoman Click to send private message to FishWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Not a problem - in fact, I have on *great* shoes today

~vintage tribephyl~

09-25-06, 03:44 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I get the impression that they are trying to be this TAR's team Cha-Cha, but they can't just relax and just enjoy the trip.

Their act seems a little forced/faked, where-as team Cha-Cha set out to enjoy theyselves first and foremost and ended up doing quite a few legs in style.

09-26-06, 01:26 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Good night nurse but does their hair make me cry. They must have found the cheapest beauty school in Queens for their discount 'dos.

09-26-06, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Ah, but killer nails are everything in the wild kingdom, yu'hu! Never underestimate the power of a good manicure.

globespinner 61 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-06, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail globespinner Click to send private message to globespinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I have a twinge of guilt when I admit to feeling uncomfortable with their anticts. It's probably that little bit of leftover "closet time" from having been in too long. That being said, I think I figured out why I don't like them. I have plenty of friends who fall into the realm of queeny (we all do). It isn't these guys' stereotypical behavior that is uncomfortable, it's that they seem to be doing it to be the obligilatory gay guys--without the animated funny, biting humor that would make their antics entertaining. Queeny is fun when you're bitchy, fabulous or have a biting sarcasm that pokes fun at yourself. These guys are just boring. Doing a little dance or eye roll just doesn't cut it. It would be just as bad if they were jocks playing dumb because they thought it would get them more screen time. They're just boring.

09-28-06, 11:35 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I like your analysis. Now I know what it is about them that bugs me too. You nailed it right on the head.

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-29-06, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Peetah Click to send private message to Peetah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Oh, but come on Globe...

I, too, find them a little boring, but you can't expect them, because they're queeny, to be bitchy. It's not like they have a checklist of things to do today. These are real people, and they seem on the sweeter, sillier side.

After all, when Lynn & Alex were bitchy queens, everyone really tore into them for it. I guess there's no final answer here. But I would say we need to accept them, that's all. Or, like any other somewhat boring team, ignore them. But not rip on them because they don't fit the three gay stereotypes that seem to have come up on this thread.

09-29-06, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail globespinner Click to send private message to globespinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I wouldn't say they need "ripping", just that I don't really like them (as television characters--I'm sure they're wonderful people in real life. And let's admit it--each person is cast for his or her television "character" potential) They're just kind of dull. I don't have a problem at all with their queeny affect. If they ran, arms flailing, screaming at wins, etc. that's fine; it would be genuine and maybe a little endearing. It's what seems like forced stereotypes, trying to be fabulous when they're not. It's hard to explain and I'm probably draining the waters of my pond to real shallowness, but it's kind of like being at a dinner party (with the boys) and there's one person who feels the need to constantly say, "Mmm hmm, you go girl" when, at all other times, they aren't the least bit flamboyant. Kind of like Eminem, who feels the need to talk like he's a brotha when, in private life, be probably talks more like Doogie Howser.
I'll shut up now...

Peetah 334 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-29-06, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Peetah Click to send private message to Peetah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I appreciate what you're saying. I remeber during their pre-show interviews they claimed to be a little sneaky. Some people have even called them Guido redux. But I don't find them like the Guidos at all. The Guidos were sophisticated, manipulatitive, and smug. These guys are sorta clueless, but energetic, spastic, and in the case of Tom, a little boy. But they presented themselves as sneaky, so it's forced.

I am playing Terry in the "Be the Amazing Racer" thread, so fortunately, I have found him amusing and feel protective of these guys. But I get what you're saying.

Btw, if it sounded like I was picking on you, I apologize. I *totally* accept you and your opinions for who you are!

09-29-06, 02:24 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
No apology needed--opinions are what make this board tick! I haven't seen the sneakiness so much, yet but it's still early in the game. So, who knows?? There have been plenty of folks who have been bland in the beginning and wound up being loved (or hated) on down the road. As they get more tired (of the race, and each other) we'll see their true colors. My partner and I backpacked through Southeast Asia after less than a year of seeing one another and I nearly caught an early flight back on more than one occasion. 11 years later...

10-01-06, 05:33 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
> seems like forced stereotypes

Thank you, you are saying what I seem to be just making a mess of trying to explain. I watch they and thier actions don't seem natural, there is an air of fakeness to me but I can't point out what it is.

10-02-06, 10:51 AM (EST)
54. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Dear Tom and Terry,

You didn't almost get eliminated from the Race because you "had a bad day." You almost got eliminated because you did not pay enough attention to the clue and, as a result, you broke the rules. Intentionally or not, this was your mistake, not some twist of fate. So, stop whining as though you had nothing to do with it.

You already showed us that you have short attention spans or difficulty paying attention or whatever during the incident with the ticketing agent. Were you too busy trying to entertain another team with your antics that you did not notice the ticket agent just sitting there? Maybe if she would have done a little cheer you would have noticed her.

I thought that it was funny (and ironic) that the blondes could not tell you apart. I cannot tell you apart either. I don't even know which one of you to label as the crybaby waiting to check in at the mat.

Take a lesson from the team that actually got Philiminated on that leg: neither one of them cried at the mat. I imagine that at least one of you will bawl when you finally get Philiminated, one last little show for the viewers at home before they gratefully get to enjoy the rest of the season without your sorry mugs on the television.

With warmest affection,
HD

10-02-06, 11:09 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Oh, pffft, fidging on the rules is the American way. But admit it, it was fun watching those two sweat it out, yes it was.

Karchita 4469 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
57. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I was really hoping they would get Philiminated due to their stupidity/cheating episode.

I also think they got off easy with only a 30 minute penalty. I believe that has been the standard amount of time in other seasons, but they gained a huge advantage by being taken directly to the destination. They saved time and energy, no small matter in tropical heat and humidity.

BTW, didn't Lauren cry a little off camera?

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-09-06, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellennaco Click to send private message to maryellennaco Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I HEART you guys!! I've never seen anything like that swim the boat to the "junk"... Wow!! Amazing willpower and strength!!! Good Luck & Godspeed!

10-09-06, 07:54 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Dear Tom and Terry,

You were the pinnacle of ridiculousness on last night's episode. My friend's wife and I cheered when we found out this was not a non-elimination leg because we could not have stomached you for another week. I'm happy to have you off my television screen --- you and all your whining, spastic antics. Good riddance.

As always, warmly yours,
HD

10-09-06, 11:49 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Oh, such a relief it was. How hard is it to row a damn boat? Since the unwritten rule is that the gay characters must automatically represent the entire gay community, let me be the first to express joy that your ambassadorship is hereby terminated, boys. I'm glad you guys inexplicably found a reason for pride in your extremely embarrassing performance, however. Perhaps there was a moment or two that didn't demonstrate complete incompetence that the evil editors decided not to show us.

Tonya_Harding 92 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-06, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tonya_Harding Click to send private message to Tonya_Harding Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
I was a little ashamed for them.

Moving on: I haven’t watched all the seasons but I think they should cast a team with one Gay person and one Straight. I think they actually did that with the Dad/Girl that where eliminated but I wasn’t paying much attention so I may not have heard right.

Anyway I think they should have a gay guy and a straight guy. Like two friends or two brothers or maybe a straight son that has a Gay dad. I have a friend who’s straight but his dad came out, that would be something on see on Tar.

10-12-06, 08:11 AM (EST)
63. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
Most single gay teams have been a parent with thier gay child. Almost all of them have made TAR a bonding trip and do not really have thier eye on the end prize of $1,000,000. As such most of them don't make it very far into the race. But for most seasons there has been aleast one team with only one gay member.

10-12-06, 05:23 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
My best friend's wife and I want to run the Race. Will you sign our petition?

10-13-06, 11:23 AM (EST)
66. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
TAR 3 had three gay/straight teams:

Dennis/Andrew -- the conservative father/gay son team who didn't last very long and have the distinction of being the only team to be eliminated even after winning a fast forward.

Aaron/Arianne -- gay guy and his friend who started out doing fairly well but had some bad luck with a diesel-guzzling car and were eliminated somewhere near the middle of the race.

Ken/Gerard -- also known as team Oh Brother, a gay and straight brother who were sort of the comic relief for the season but ended up coming in third.

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-12-06, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellennaco Click to send private message to maryellennaco Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
65. "RE: Dear Tom and Terry"
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-06 AT 06:44 PM (EST)

Kudos again to the swimming one!!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •