The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-25-06, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Is it just me, or have the Racers been moving around on the smallest budget ever this season? What was it, sixty-six dollars for China and thirty-nine for Mongolia? I know the producers expect that no one will eat, drink, or find a pay toilet until they hit the Pit Stop, but we've still had a couple of taxis, some train tickets, and before we hit the finish line, at least one native will need a bribe. It doesn't surprise me that Duke & Lauren were shown as running out of money on the next leg. It surprised me that they got any. No wonder Sarah And Her Amazing Wonder Springs were trying to get some cash out of the locals: the first bankruptcy was only an episode away. How long until people start selling watches? Jewelry? Clothing? It's reality TV: their bodies are already under contract...

(Discussion of Peter's 'step right up and see my bionic girlfriend!' barker act goes a thread or two over. So do jokes about Sarah and the 'dollar leg'.)

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How often do we start wi... Max Headroom 09-25-06 1
 RE: How often do we start wi... Seana 10-02-06 2
   RE: How often do we start wi... Max Headroom 10-02-06 3
       RE: How often do we start wi... dabo 10-02-06 4
 RE: How often do we start wi... Jims02 10-02-06 5
 RE: How often do we start wi... Karchita 10-02-06 6
   RE: How often do we start wi... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-03-06 9
       RE: How often do we start wi... Karchita 10-03-06 10
           RE: How often do we start wi... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-05-06 12
           RE: How often do we start wi... Loren 10-16-06 13
               RE: How often do we start wi... Karchita 10-17-06 14
   RE: How often do we start wi... Cyndimaus 10-04-06 11
 RE: How often do we start wi... nailbone 10-03-06 7
   RE: How often do we start wi... Earl Colby Pottinger 10-03-06 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
I don't get it either. Even though the teams are traveling through less-expensive parts of the world, I know from personal experience that Beijing isn't as cheap as one might think. If the producers are trying to make the race harder, do it through tougher "Treasure Hunters"-style clues, not by pinching pennies on cash outlays. Won't we get enough begging later on after non-elim legs?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
And look! A no-money-at-all leg.

For a bonus, they were not allowed to beg or sell anything, either.

I like a no begging rule. It gives me hope that TAR has done away with "getting mugged by Phil".

Spooky bouncie by IceCat

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Makes you wonder what would have happened if Duke and Lauren's cab driver would have demanded the full fare? Would they have had to ask other racers to "loan" them some cash? Could have been interesting... though in a contrived way.

At least the concept of keeping the flower-selling money was a good one...

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
I would have given them the money. Strong teams should do whatever they can to keep weak teams in the race until the final sprint.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-06, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Hey, they've got profit margins to watch. How are they ever going to afford to bribe the Emmy judges if they're handing out $50-100 per team each leg?

Besides, this was a great chance to boost the Vietnamese flower economy.

Karchita 4469 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-02-06, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
I think it has to do with three things:

1. It adds more stress to the racers, which, of course, makes better TV.

2. It prevents racers from buying guide books. In the past, some have bought Lonely Planet books, which have tons of helpful information, but which cost a lot, like US$30-50, and might well be more in poor, non-English speaking countries. I have wondered how racers could afford it, but they must have had that much extra in their budgets. If their budgets are really tight, racers couldn't even afford to look up info at internet cafes. The lack of access information would make the race a more level playing field and they have to compete using what we are shown on TV (more or less), not what they are doing during the pit stops.

3. It adds another skill that is necessary to do well in TAR, budgeting. It was basically what did in Duke and Lauren last night.

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-03-06, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Internet Cafes are cheap. Even a single dollar will get you useful time on a machine. Plus I love some of the twists and turns we have seen from people doing thier research on-the-fly.

Travel books are expensive, I have only about a quarter of the guides I would like to own because at $30-$50 a book I could easyly spend $1000 to cover all the places I am interested in.

Worse, there are almost no good cheap books, I own one BVI book that cost me $9.95 that was worth the money because of all the personal details the author included but the only other times I have seen books that cheap with lots of details they are *YEARS* out of date. Anyone else with a book detailing the waterfalls of Montserrat?

10-03-06, 06:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
My experience with internet cafes overseas is that for an hour or so it'll cost at least $5 and sometimes much more. Sometimes they are surprisingly expensive in poor countries if electricity and imports are expensive. Often the machines are extremely old and slow and the keyboards are set for other languages, so it takes forever just to do a simple search.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that my experience is quite different and the racers wouldn't have the slack in their budgets for much internet access.

10-05-06, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
I am agreeing with you still. At $5 an hour, 15 minutes is just over a buck.

This is a race, so unless there are at an airport or staying overnight in a hotel they usually don't spend that long on-line (I think).

I want they to have internet access, but I don't want they to have in affect (effect?) unlimited funds. IE an extra $100 US goes a long way in a large percentage of the poorer countries.

Loren 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-16-06, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loren Click to send private message to Loren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
>My experience with internet cafes overseas
>is that for an hour
>or so it'll cost at
>least $5 and sometimes much
>more. Sometimes they are
>surprisingly expensive in poor countries
>if electricity and imports are
>expensive. Often the machines
>are extremely old and slow
>and the keyboards are set
>for other languages, so it
>takes forever just to do
>a simple search.
>
>I'm not saying you are wrong,
>just that my experience is
>quite different and the racers
>wouldn't have the slack in
>their budgets for much internet
>access.

That might be the price here in the US. I have made considerable use of internet cafes in Shanghai, though. At first it was about 60 cents/hour + I believe I was often slightly overcharged. This got shared access to a 56k dialup. (Note, however, that most people were playing local games, not using the web at all.) These days I can get shared access to a 2mbit ADSL line for 25 cents/hour when it's cheap, 35 cents/hour during the busier time.

10-17-06, 02:46 AM (EST)
14. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
Wow, Loren, that is really cheap. I based my comments on the places I have traveled in the last few years, Mexico, Bulgaria, Slovakia, London, Italy and hmm, maybe I am forgetting some, and no place was any where near that cheap.

Whether they are using internet cafes is speculative anyway, but apparently some places they could afford them and some not.

Welcome to the boards.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-04-06, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
I like the idea that they'll have to be more careful with their money. Remember in past TARs when some racers have spent the night in a hotel while waiting for a morning opening time? Or the Weavers going through the McDonalds drive-through? (true, this was the U.S., boring version, but still...)

siggie by ARnutz
bounced by Icey
Maus Musings

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-06, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
So do jokes about Sarah and the 'dollar leg'.)

I haven't been able to read a SINGLE SOLITARY post about this race that refers to segments of the race as a "leg" without coming up with some "Sarah's leg" joke.

Does this make me a bad person?

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

10-03-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
8. "RE: How often do we start with the dollar leg?"
YES!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •