The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"the Weavers - religious abuse"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-05, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"the Weavers - religious abuse"

It nauseates me when people invoke their religions to get stuff. Especially stupid stuff. Frivolous stuff. I think if you were truly into the Jesus and the God, you'd not waste their time on your petty crap like "please let me find this road."

I feel sorry for them for having lost their husband or dad, but it doesn't give them (mostly the mother) the right to invoke the name of the Lord to achieve her own personal gains. I believe this is a good example of taking the Lord's name in vain.

~ cq

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Estee 09-28-05 1
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Cygnus X1 09-28-05 2
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse dragonflies 09-28-05 3
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Earl Colby Pottinger 09-28-05 4
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Snidget 09-28-05 5
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse cqvenus 09-28-05 6
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Rapha 09-28-05 7
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Snidget 09-28-05 8
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Lisa0116 09-28-05 9
                   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse bystander 09-29-05 14
                   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Earl Colby Pottinger 09-29-05 22
                       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Lisa0116 09-30-05 28
                           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Earl Colby Pottinger 10-01-05 33
                               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Lisa0116 10-04-05 38
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse HistoryDetective 09-29-05 12
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse bystander 09-29-05 15
                   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse HistoryDetective 09-29-05 16
                       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse bystander 09-29-05 17
                           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse ceedee 09-29-05 24
                               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse bystander 09-29-05 25
                       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse okaychatt 10-01-05 31
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse bacon 09-29-05 13
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse zipperhead 09-29-05 18
                   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse nailbone 09-30-05 27
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse goldie1000 10-11-05 44
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse lydia 10-04-05 36
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse davwav02 09-28-05 10
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Spider 09-29-05 11
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse nailbone 09-29-05 20
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse okaychatt 10-01-05 32
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse lydia 10-04-05 37
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse nailbone 09-29-05 19
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Earl Colby Pottinger 09-29-05 23
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse dabo 10-05-05 40
 This thread needs some levity.... Cygnus X1 09-29-05 21
 The Weaver Mom, Is she stupid, or w... pieeater 09-29-05 26
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse okaychatt 09-30-05 29
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse KaysarMolester 10-01-05 30
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse skye 10-02-05 34
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse zipperhead 10-04-05 39
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse wubbymom 10-05-05 41
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse 1derfool 10-03-05 35
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse noliferealityfan 10-05-05 42
 RE: the Weavers - religious abuse CaitieLou 10-11-05 43
   RE: the Weavers - religious abuse true 10-11-05 45
       RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Phredster 10-12-05 46
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse true 10-12-05 47
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse ginger 10-12-05 48
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Cilk409 10-12-05 51
           RE: the Weavers - religious abuse Lisa0116 10-12-05 49
               RE: the Weavers - religious abuse noliferealityfan 10-12-05 50

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 01:24 PM (EST)
1. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Jesus, please help me get through this reply without making a tpyo.

Damn.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 01:24 PM (EST)
2. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
In principle, I have no problem with what they were doing. I make similar prayers myself. I don't call it abuse. I call it "storming the gates."

That being said, their constant prayers did get on my nerves (and no, I won't blame the editing).

Memories of Brandon and Nicole, anyone?

"St. Paul bids us to be fools for Christ. But not blitherin' idiots!" --Fr. Duddleswell, Bless Me Father

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
3. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I agree. I liked the prayer when they started their day, but enough with the "please show us the blue silos" stuff.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-28-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
4. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I agree, I like that little prayer at the start of the day. More people should do that. On the other hand this is just a race, asking God to help you win a race, a game is pityful.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 02:25 PM (EST)
5. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
At what point do you cross the line into "taking God's name in vain"

I did some searching around (because I don't recall any specific teaching about this growing up, but I always had the "you just don't do that" about the "God help me find a parking space" that is similar to any of the G-Damn's that some people find quite offensive. With me it might be the whole worshiping loudly and in public is not OK think that is more New Testament Jesus in the Temple sort of thing that galls me about those that have to screech to God every other minute of the day than the disrespecting God thing.

http://www.carm.org/sermons/Exodus_20_7.htm had a fairly detailed write up and is more strident than the sect I grew up in. But it does go over the hebrew and all and I think backs up in some regards the just how far can you go with the whole praying like that for every little thing before it crosses the line into demonstrating a lack of respect for your creator.

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 02:57 PM (EST)
6. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"

At what point do you cross the line into "taking God's name in vain"

i think it's pretty simple. 'vain' to me means using for your own selfish reasons. and i don't think people need to be told the guidelines after they're told the commandments. i think it's common sense that you ought not pray for stupid, selfish things. but what do i know? i was raised catholic, but i'm an atheist now. i just believe in having respect for what you believe in, and not trying to manipulate the system, so to speak.

~ cq

Rapha 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-28-05, 04:00 PM (EST)
7. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Since it's been brought up.....

The Bible does say that God cares about everything and to talk to Him about anything. They are not offending God in any way by asking for help. The Weavers want to do their best and want to ask God to help them accomplish that. Doesn't seem like abuse to me. A true Christian has their beliefs as their lifestyle just as homosexuals, Muslims, vegetarians, activists, or <insert any conviction/belief here> do. It just always boggles me that it's only the religious people who are supposed to keep their mouths shut on reality shows and not be themselves. /shrug.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 04:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Different sects of Christianity have different views on how one goes about being religious.

In my sect growing up that sort of thing would be seen as taking God's name in vain (attaching him to empty things like the link I used said) and/or excessive public display of religion. Both of which I were taught not to do.

I know others seem to be taught to use God's name out loud in just about every sentance they utter (how much is doctrinal vs personal belief I do not know). I don't need them to be other than who they are, but there are some versions of being a "Christian" that just violate every standard I was taught and I find it somewhere between peculiar and blasphemous depending on the situation. To me they it seemed they were starting go past including God in your life, and getting into the asking God to be your personal slave who screws over everyone around you.

But every sect has doctrinal differneces. I've also had bad experiences with people who have to make a huge show of talking the talk because they will not in any way walk the walk. That whole overcompensating thing. That tends to color my view of the excessively religious on reality TV. Some people do come across as truely grateful to God. Other people just irk me.

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-28-05, 05:37 PM (EST)
9. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I had a friend that used to do that alot-ask the Lord (in Jesus name) for everything. It annoys me to no end. And the more people she had around her, the more she would do it-because she said if two agree it shall be done and the more that were in the presence of the prayer it increased in power (or something). She was the kind of person that invited the Jehovah's Witnesses into her house so she could explain to them the error of their ways.....

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-29-05, 10:25 AM (EST)
14. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
>She was the kind of person that invited the Jehovah's Witnesses into her house so she could explain to them the error of their ways.....

So, you're friends with my SIL then?

09-29-05, 12:15 PM (EST)
22. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
She does this more than once?

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I have never been invited back by this type of person. Usually people who act like this tend to misquote the bible to justify thier actions and don't like that everytime they open thier mouth that a Witness will correct thier quotes.

Note: I don't mean the New World English Bible that Jehovah's Witnesses use, I mean the Bible version used in that person's church.

I agree that prayers aimed at personal material gain are in bad taste and not what God gave us the gift of prayer for. On, the otherhand it could be worse. Have you been around someone who suddenly for no reason jump and scream "Praise the Lord!" at random intervals? That really gets on your nerves after a time.

Earl Colby Pottinger

09-30-05, 09:46 AM (EST)
28. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
>She does this more than once?
>
>
>As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I
>have never been invited back
>by this type of person.
> Usually people who act
>like this tend to misquote
>the bible to justify thier
>actions and don't like that
>everytime they open thier mouth
>that a Witness will correct
>thier quotes.
>
>Note: I don't mean the New
>World English Bible that Jehovah's
>Witnesses use, I mean the
>Bible version used in that
>person's church.
>

No Earl-she invited them back time after time and she did NOT quote the bible to them from memory-she got out the bible and showed them-the King James Bible. She was quite the character-God Rest Her Soul!!! Miss you Lynnette!!!

10-01-05, 10:24 AM (EST)
33. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Well, if she has an honest disagreement, then more power to her. Don't worry Jehovah's Witnesses love talking to such people, it keeps us on our toes

An honest arguement can be lots of fun, it is very possible that both she and Witnesses she was talking were having lots of funs. My best friend is also a non-witness, we agrue about the bible all the time, neither expects to convert the other, but we both learn more as we work out the details of our beliefs on each other.

No, the person I hate is the one who claims to be taking quotes from the bible, but are often mis-quoting, leaving out a key word or two, or even worse making up thier own quotes to justify thier actions while claiming to do God's will.

10-04-05, 11:17 AM (EST)
38. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
LAST EDITED ON 10-04-05 AT 11:20 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-04-05 AT 11:19 AM (EST)

No, the person I hate is
the one who claims to
be taking quotes from the
bible, but are often mis-quoting,
leaving out a key word
or two, or even worse
making up thier own quotes
to justify thier actions while
claiming to do God's will.

Good point-sorta like in post #35 on this thread-direct mis-quote. Money is not and never has been the root of all evil.....

The quote is "The Love Of Money Is The Root Of All Evil".

I can see how leaving out that first three words can screw up the meaning completely.....

edited to fix smiley

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 09:23 AM (EST)
12. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
It just always boggles me that it's only the religious people who are supposed to keep their mouths shut on reality shows

Maybe it's because Christians have a standard which they are supposed to follow:

And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

You might recognize those words. Jesus said them in Matthew 6:5-8. Lots of people object to Christians not behaving as their guidebook instructs them to. The last time I checked, vegetarians, activists, and <insert any conviction/beleif here> do not have an official handbook telling them how to lead their lives, though I hear rumors from Knockers that homosexuals *do* have an official handbook. The Muslims have one too, but I am one of those Christians who has not had enough exposure to the Muslim holy book to know its stance of public prayer.

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

09-29-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
15. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I'm following you HD, and agree that the praying thing seems to be over the top. However, where, in a race with a cameraman taping everything you do do you find the secret time to pray? IIRC they were in their car, which, in absence of the TAR crew would normally be a "secretive place". It just so happens they have the cameraman there filming everything.

Just playin devils advocate here.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 10:36 AM (EST)
16. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I don't disagree with your devil's advocacy. As a Christian, I'm usually not concerned with the fact that contestants pray, especially since the cameras are on them all the time (unless they are making a big production out of praying, making sure that *we* as viewers know that they are praying). I have more of a problem with what they ask for: since Jesus told us that God knows what we need and want before we ask, I fall into the camp of people who think that the little things don't need to be treated as special requests to the Big Guy.

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

09-29-05, 11:05 AM (EST)
17. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I see your point and agree that constant praying for everything is overkill. Maybe if instead of praying to find the blue silos they prayed that they would reach the blue silos safely it would have sounded better. Anyway, someone's looking out for her because that buggy almost creamed her. She could have been seriously hurt or worse and walked away without injury.

ceedee 183 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-29-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
24. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Of course a really cynical person may have viewed that more along the lines of a warning.....

"Stop bringing me into reality TV, or I’ll arrange for a buggy to run over you. Why? – Because, quite frankly I love irony. How much clearer can I be? I don’t really care how well you do in a game, so stop bothering me about it.”

09-29-05, 02:04 PM (EST)
25. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
LOL, that's a possibility also.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-01-05, 10:05 AM (EST)
31. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
<making sure that *we* as viewers know that they are praying

Exactly! A woman at the school where I substitute teach makes a HUGE deal out of praying before she starts devouring the food.

Why not quietly meditate and pray on her way from the serving area to the table? Because she is so devout and WANTS US TO KNOW IT. Whatever.

She's also the same woman who wore an "I hate (insert name of school)". We were playing them last night in a huge rivalry football game.

And don't get me started on those devout "Christians" that believe New Orleans got what it deserved because it is such a den of iniquity. Somehow I don't think that's WJWD.

<I fall into the camp of people who think that the little things don't need to be treated as special requests to the Big Guy.

This is the message of Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. The "heathens" actually had more harmony and kindness and ethics *before* the missionaries appeared.

Anyway, when the racers start asking to find blue silos or a sporting goods store, I think they're *telling* God what he needs to do.

They seem to have little sense of true humility or trust that He will do what they want. Their "prayers" sound more like "Gimme" than "I trust you to help me do my best." They put all the burden on Him and forget *they* are responsible for what they do and say.

Ask for a clear head - ok.

Ask for calmness - ok.

Ask for courage - ok.

Ask for insight - ok.

But don't say, "GIMME!"

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 09:38 AM (EST)
13. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
The Bible does say that God cares about everything and to talk to Him about anything.

I totally disagree with this idea. Sure you can ask God for anything, but a lot of stuff you ask for is going to get a deaf ear if it's friviolous crap like CQ mentioned. I don't mind a family praying at the start of the day, or even during an event, as long as the prayer has to do with important things like safety. But if the prayer is something along the lines of "Please God help me find Phil" or "Please God get us through this task faster than the "fill in the blank" family" then I think those people really need to get their priorities straight.

And If it's ok to ask God for anything that pops into your little head then let's take a few examples I've come up with that probably shoot down this theory:

"God, can you give Jason a rare blood disease so I can win a job promotion over him?"

"God, please allow me to break out of prison without getting caught"

"God bless Texas"

See what I mean!

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-29-05, 11:31 AM (EST)
18. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I once asked God for a cigarette and I wound up with chest pains and stained teeth.

Now I don't ask God for nothin'

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 09:41 AM (EST)
27. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Be careful what you ask for...

Halloween Headache provided by RollDdice

Holey carp! My blog!
Official OT Tassle Adjuster o-

goldie1000 1087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-11-05, 10:47 PM (EST)
44. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
"Please god tell me" is Bacon telling the truth this time, or is he just pulling my leg ?

lydia 109 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 04:30 AM (EST)
36. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
That is well said "Rapha". Christians are bashed a lot these days and are not allowed to share their beliefs like it's some sort of curse. They are portrayed as narrow-minded intolerant biggots. Meanwhile, I do think the Weavers are showing a kind of shallow faith, when praying for roads and silos.

davwav02 401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-28-05, 06:07 PM (EST)
10. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I absolutely agree. I don't find it necessary to bring religion to every aspect of this game. I think it is hypocritical to ask for help to win the games which involve beating other people and winning money. If the Weaver family, in this case, is religious as they claim to be, they would know that being closer to God and being more religious is not about material possessions (well, as far as my catholic upbringing tells me, although we don't know for sure what they are).

Another point worth noting is the fact that if someone is a truly religious person, they don't need to show it by their constant references to God, but rather through their actions. It's one of those things, that when someone tells you the same thing so many times, it makes you wonder if they're telling the truth, or if they need to keep reminding you (and themselves) of what they want you to think. I have no problem with anyone having any kind of beliefs or different views, I just do not like to have them imposed on me. I'm not saying this is what they are doing (yet), just explaining how everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't have to agree with it.

Spider 164 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 03:24 AM (EST)
11. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Do people not know that god cannot affect anything that happens on earth?

Praying to him is a waste of time.

And if he can (maybe) do you really think he his sitting around wondering:

Do I stop the flood about to kill thousands of people
OR
2. help that useless family in Amazing Race 8 find the blue silos

Stop praying and take responsibility for your actions!!!

09-29-05, 11:42 AM (EST)
20. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
spider, lots of people believe differently. I believe that God CAN affect things on Earth and does every day. And who's to say whether He wants to stop that flood. Perhaps the flood has to happen to prevent something different, and worse, at another time?

I believe God does answer all prayers, but not always with the answer we like. And if you saw Bruce Almighty, you can see the problem with answering all prayers in the affirmative.

Holey carp! My blog!

10-01-05, 10:07 AM (EST)
32. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
<if someone is a truly religious person, they don't need to show it by their constant references to God, but rather through their actions

AMEN!

lydia 109 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 04:43 AM (EST)
37. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
TOTALLY AGREE! Also, We are asked to take care of the sick, poor, down-trodden (depressed) . . .to provide shelter, and feed those in need of food, and the basics of life. Materialism and selfishness are on the NO NO list. We are asked by God to be loving showing patience, goodness, kindness etc. We are also asked to work hard and be a source of light.

09-29-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
19. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"

Holey carp! My blog!

09-29-05, 12:20 PM (EST)
23. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I have never been scared by a picture of Jesus, until now.

Did a used car dealer serve as the model for the artist?

Earl Colby Pottinger

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-05-05, 01:15 AM (EST)
40. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
That's Buddy Christ from the movie Dogma.

http://home.cshore.com/bucwheat/wrkbn/buddy/buddy.htm

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 12:08 PM (EST)
21. "This thread needs some levity...."
...so here it is, especially given that next week's show involves a Civil War reenactment:

Two women during the Civil War were discussing how the war was going and who they thought would win.
One said, "The South, because Jefferson Davis is a praying man."
The other pointed out that Abraham Lincoln also prayed.
To which the first replied:
"Yes, but the Lord thinks Lincoln is joking."

IIRC, Lincoln told that himself.

pieeater 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-29-05, 04:18 PM (EST)
26. "The Weaver Mom, Is she stupid, or what?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-05 AT 04:20 PM (EST)

Did anyone else here Ms. Weaver say something along the lines of: "Pennsylvania, I don't know. Is that a state? That's a state,right?" So not only are they annoying Christians, they're oldest teammate is dim as dirt!

Also, does anyone know if Weaver-Mom can DRIVE? That's the only explanation I can think of for letting a 19 yr old drive like a total dimwit through NY. Trust me, I live right near the Washington Crossings area, and have been to NYC 100's of times, if you drive like that, you get yelled at by everyone. I think the Weavers couldn't hear New Yorkers yelling because they were too busy screaming out for Jesus to show them the way to New Jeresy, while he is busy trying to help our soldiers stuck in Iraq for the Bush Administrations personal gain!

09-30-05, 09:28 PM (EST)
29. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
<nauseates me when people invoke their religions to get stuff

Me too, cqvenus.

It's one thing to ask for a clear mind or strength while facing a challenge.

It's quite another to tell God exactly what YOU want.

KaysarMolester 62 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-01-05, 08:16 AM (EST)
30. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
LAST EDITED ON 10-01-05 AT 08:17 AM (EST)

I wonder if they were a Pagan family praying to a Goddess or Muslims praying to Allah if they would edit the whole prayer stuff out??

skye 2261 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-02-05, 09:53 AM (EST)
34. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
A very valid point. Asking your god to help you win this race is similiar to me suddenly dragging out my cauldron and casting a spell asking the Goddess to put the kibosh on the other racers.

Not only does that violate the basic tenets of my faith (not to attempt to manipulate the free will of others), it devalues my own skills (can't win without divine intervention).

Not to mention the kerfuffle that would ensue from "the evil satan-worshipper" envoking the Goddess on national TV. I could forsee network boycotts, Pat Robertson encouraging my assassination and the religious right camped out on my front lawn shouting "Burn her! Burn her! Build a bridge out her!"

After all, your very own president was quoted as saying "I don't think witchcraft is a religion." (I wonder if he'd still be saying that if he woke up one morning as a newt. LOL!)

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-04-05, 02:26 PM (EST)
39. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
If satan-worshippers ever did get on the show, do you think Phil would have the guts to eliminate them?

wubbymom 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-05-05, 02:08 AM (EST)
41. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Kerfuffle is my new favorite word!!!

1derfool 185 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-05, 11:00 AM (EST)
35. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Running the race and constantly praying for help to beat the others seems to suggest they are more worthy of getting the benefit of Divine Intervention than the other players. "You have to help me, I'm more deserving than any of the other players" What happened to that 'humble' thing that the Bible mentions all the time? It's not necessary if you pray at every turn on your journey? You can cut in line and go right to the top to ask (demand) what you want as long as you pray?

Ask for courage, ask for good weather or safe travelling etc., for all the teams, don't ask for special treatment for you alone.

If I were to pray to my God to intervene on my behalf and let me win a trunk full of "the root of all evil", She'd be mighty upset. I'd get HellFire and Brimstone instead.

noliferealityfan 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-05-05, 01:13 PM (EST)
42. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
what i dont understand is this:

If you believe in god (which i dont) what makes people think for a second that he is interested in micro-managing there lives?
isnt there that whole free will / do good things on your own and get a ticket to heaven deal?

I mean, if your going to follow the religion, be consistent! Pray according to the book you follow - not to win some stupid race which will prob. have its lowest ratings ever this season!

*just my rant on those types of things *

CaitieLou 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-05, 10:20 PM (EST)
43. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I don't think it matters one bit if they want to say a prayer 1,000 times. It's a good thing to do to get you through the day and its good to call to God when you need Him. I'm proud of the way they show their awesome christian values on tv and I wish that more people were like them. And I'm sure God's looking at them from heaven and is proud of the things there doing. They are an awesome family and I hope they win!
--CaitieLou

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-05, 11:40 PM (EST)
45. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I'm proud of the way they show their awesome christian values on tv

Like tonight, when Mom Weaver told the kids to "lie and be fake". Some values!

Phredster 85 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-12-05, 03:04 AM (EST)
46. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
>I'm proud of the way they
>show their awesome christian values
>on tv

>
>Like tonight, when Mom Weaver told
>the kids to "lie and
>be fake". Some values!
>

Mom told the kids to lie and be fake to get them through what was clearly a tough time for them. They were lying to themselves, not to anyone else, and I don't have a problem with that. These folks lost their father/husband not much more than a year ago, and the race has clearly been putting them under enormous stress. How can anyone judge what they are going through? In the first leg their mother was run over by a runaway horse-drawn buggy, and now we see in leg number four that they have to visit a race track, both of which force them to confront how their father/husband died. But the one thing that the Weavers are doing, that _no other team_ is doing, is focusing on themselves. When Mom and kids came out of that bathroom after Mom told the kids to buck up and be strong, they focused on _themselves_ and what they could do to get them through. Meanwhile every other team sniped about the Weavers, were extremely unkind and uncharitable in the things they said, and frankly I'd rather listen to Mom tell her kids to buck up and be fake if they have to to get through the day, than listen to the other teams trash the Weavers for no good reason that I can figure out. I'm sorry but the Paolo family talking about the Weavers being "crazy"...puhleeze!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 09:16 AM (EST)
47. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
Well, the other teams may not have been very nice, (although the Weavers behavior was odd, to say the least) but, they also didn't act catty one minute, and pray the next. My problem with the Weavers is if you're going to preach it, practice it, otherwise you come off as big fat hipocrits. I won't argue with the stress they've been under, and really, I feel for their situation, but that does not give them a free pass to be rude and obnoxious.

I also don't buy for a second that Mom Weaver was telling the kids to lie and act fake for themselves, she told them to do it to fool the other teams. Their behavior was scary, and if I'd have been on that bus with small kids, like the Gagans (sp), I'd have been disgusted by their display.

I'm sorry but the Paolo family talking about the Weavers being "crazy"...puhleeze!

No argument there!

I doubt there is anyone on the board that I agree with on every single issue. Well, except true - all right-thinking people always agree with true. -Executive Princess Pooh

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 11:25 AM (EST)
48. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-05 AT 11:38 AM (EST)

It's freaks calling the other freaks freakish.

I understand why TAR jumped at the chance to give us this PAX channel family drama vis a vis the Weavers, but they make me uncomfortable.

ET change "ATM" inexplicably lodged in sentence in lieu of "TAR."

Cilk409 1 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 09:09 PM (EST)
51. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
I think one thing that comes to mind after watching the show and reading everyones comments is that alot of you are right. Mrs. Weaver's faith is incredibly weakened. A person of strong faith would have never doubted their safety in the bus or anywhere on the race thus far. She lost her husband, is challenged by her children and seems to be grasping on how to survive. Her constant prayer is an indicator of her fraility of faith. The main confusion I have is what compelled her to want to participate on something this challenging? Did she have the expectation it would be a vacation? Why would you want to push your children at such a fragile time? I feel quite a bit of pity I guess.

10-12-05, 03:41 PM (EST)
49. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
>Mom told the kids to lie
>and be fake to get
>them through what was clearly
>a tough time for them.
>They were lying to themselves,
>not to anyone else, and
>I don't have a problem
>with that. These folks lost
>their father/husband not much more
>than a year ago, and
>the race has clearly been
>putting them under enormous stress.

I cannot argue that they are under alot of stress and that they lost their Dad, but if you are under alot of stress and you have recently lost your Dad, the DON"T COME ON TV AND TRY TO RUN A RACE. Stay home and mourn your loss. I don't like making excuses for them. I hated Jenna M on Survivor just because she whined and cried her way through and used her mother's illness not once, but twice. If you are making excuses, then you should have stayed home. Don't go on a reality show if you should be home taking care of your personal business.

noliferealityfan 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-12-05, 04:20 PM (EST)
50. "RE: the Weavers - religious abuse"
>I cannot argue that they are
>under alot of stress and
>that they lost their Dad,
>but if you are under
>alot of stress and you
>have recently lost your Dad,
>the DON"T COME ON TV
>AND TRY TO RUN A
>RACE. Stay home and
>mourn your loss. I
>don't like making excuses for
>them. I hated Jenna
>M on Survivor just because
>she whined and cried her
>way through and used her
>mother's illness not once, but
>twice. If you are
>making excuses, then you should
>have stayed home. Don't
>go on a reality show
>if you should be home
>taking care of your personal
>business.

Damn Skippy! We arent interested in there sob stories - its a competition not oprah!
leave your personal business at the door and get to work!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •