The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-05, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-17-05 AT 12:07 PM (EST)

So the teams for TARF are up officially and there is a nine year old girl and an eight year old boy competing.

Does anyone remember the movie Crazy People with the ad in it: This movie won't just scare you, it will f* you up for life! That's exactly what I thought about these kids in this race.

How would you like to be 8 years old and responsible for losing 1 million dollars?

Edited to add a link to pictures of the teams courtesty of our lovely news site (scroll down past the article for pictures): http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3667

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Bebo 08-17-05 1
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Canada Girl 08-17-05 4
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? mikey 08-17-05 2
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? PepeLePew13 08-17-05 3
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Femme 08-17-05 5
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Bebo 08-18-05 7
       RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? RealityMom 08-18-05 8
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? tvgeek401 08-18-05 9
       RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? FireGuy 08-20-05 13
           RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Femme 08-21-05 14
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? cambo 08-17-05 6
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Max Headroom 08-19-05 11
       RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? oz4ever 08-19-05 12
           RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? mikey 08-22-05 16
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? cahaya 08-18-05 10
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? newsomewayne 08-22-05 15
 Will the kids be able to keep the s... RealityMom 08-23-05 17
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Amaaazing Race 09-10-05 18
 RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? Phredster 09-28-05 19
   RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!? shabalaba 09-28-05 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-17-05, 12:51 PM (EST)
1. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
How would you like to be the 20-something whose team got eliminated before the 8 or 9 year old? As long as those teams finish ahead of some of the teams filled with adults, I'll laugh.

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
4. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Wah ha ha! Ok, that would be funny. Now I hope the Black family takes the money home.

"Hey, heard you lost a million dollars to an eight year old kid. Heh heh."

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-17-05, 01:01 PM (EST)
2. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Looking for the limbo contest this season to give the kids an advantage.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 01:55 PM (EST)
3. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Me? I'm eagerly anticipating the soapbox derby races where the kids can compete on an equal footing with the adults -- especially if they make the soapboxes small enough to require only the smallest member of each team to compete in.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-17-05, 03:57 PM (EST)
5. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Eh, I hope it doesn't screw anyone up. I am rather interested in the dynamics of the teams with little kids.

Some 8 and 9 year olds are really mature. Some are incredibly immature. I bet kids can run this race far better than some past (fully grown) contestants have. Flo rings a bell, and Will, and Jonathon, and Colin, and on and on.

I just hope the bashers have some tact. I cannot stand how people talk about the minors on AI. (Calling them sluts, whores, tramps, etc.) That part makes me cringe.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 07:40 AM (EST)
7. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
A lot depends on how the parents handle it. If they have the right attitude, then it could be a cool experience for the families regardless of how they finish.

But if the parents are like Jonathan and Victoria...well, those kids would be screwed up even if TAR didn't come along.

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-18-05, 02:30 PM (EST)
8. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-18-05 AT 02:31 PM (EST)

I don't know what the TAR selection process entails but I know that other shows have extensive testing, including psychological, so I hope the families have been properly screened. If families signed up for the right reasons- to have a great adventure, to create memories to last a lifetime, etc, then it can be a very positive experience. But I remember all too well some of the parents on my kids' sports teams over the years. I still cringe when I hear some of them blasting their kids in front of everybody. I offer wondered if they were like this in public, what were they like at home. Most of the parents had a great attitude, cheering "Good eye, good eye" no matter how the kids did. I know that the producers of these shows probably pick some contestants with short fuses because they're entertaining but I hope the families with the little kids aren't in this group. The RTW article talks about teams near the end who are "openly bitter" and considered "certain rivals as enemies". I hope this refers to the all-adult teams who can better handle whatever happens. As I've said, I think "Meathead I, II and III" and the blonde teams will be hysterical. They're what TAR is all about. So here's hoping that the producers were ethical in their selection, so TAR Family will be fun to watch.

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-18-05, 08:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Some 8 and 9 year olds are really mature. Some are incredibly immature.

Some adults are incredibly immature, too.*

Wasn't the minimum age on this season supposed to be twelve?

A Cygnus Masterpiece ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!
*CIP: Flo.

FireGuy 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-20-05, 09:43 PM (EST)
13. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
You are correct about the 12 year old minimum age. My family and I actually applied and were concerned because my daughter was 12 at th time. Although the application says what it says, the final disclaimer is that the Producers have the right to choose...whatever! Makes me wonder why even bothering to fill out an application?

Despite not being chosen, we remain fans of the show.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-21-05, 07:56 PM (EST)
14. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
I recall the 12 year old age limit, and then I recall when they extended it to 8 years old. There was some discussion on the boards about it.

So, I think they changed it prior to deciding on a final cast, but I could be mistaken.

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-17-05, 11:38 PM (EST)
6. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
LAST EDITED ON 08-17-05 AT 11:38 PM (EST)

I've watched the show from season one, and I'm not a big fan of this upcoming family edition. I think having kids on the show is gonna really water it down. Producers have already acknowledged the race will be shorter this time around.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-05, 05:43 PM (EST)
11. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Just remember the good news on a shorter season:

FEWER NON-ELIMINATION LEGS!

* end of rant *

oz4ever 1604 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-19-05, 05:57 PM (EST)
12. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
Unfortunately, with children involved, they might have MORE non-elimination legs so as to not strip the children of all their confidence. When they say it is a shorter season, they might mean in terms of the actual distance travelled, not the number of legs or episodes. Each leg might only be, start at point A, drive to airport, fly to B, catch taxi to a roadblock/detour at C, then catch a taxi to pitstop. Very short legs but edit in more footage from each one to make a full episode, and have more episodes which is better for advertising purposes.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-22-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
16. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
>>>>When they say it is a shorter season, they might mean in terms of the actual distance travelled, not the number of legs or episodes.

When they say "shorter season" --they might be referring to the height of some of the contestants.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-05, 10:00 PM (EST)
10. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
I've just read the family bios. Actually, there's a lot of diversity in these teams, and I wouldn't count the "kid teams" out by any means. I'm already making pre-season picks and predictions!

Lookin' forward to TAR8!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

08-22-05, 11:28 AM (EST)
15. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
That group photo sure is pale. Must have had a lighting problem, though. There's some weird shadowing affect on the family in the lower right-hand corner.

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-23-05, 02:22 PM (EST)
17. "Will the kids be able to keep the secret?"
I'm sure that the kids have been told repeatedly that it will cost their parents millions if they tell the results but I think it's going to be so hard for them once the show starts. The parents may even have to go to the teachers to ask them to tell their classmates not to hound the kids for inside info. But I can just see a kid like Margaret asking a kid like Dennis to tell her who won because she won't tell anyone else. Or, Lucy could pester Charlie to tell her because she can keep a secret. I know that the minute my kids got us presents they could barely contain themselves until the big day. So the pressure on these kids to not reveal anything will be enormous.
I think some of the challenges can be really fun. They could have all-American type games like 3-legged races or Simple Simon that the kids could do well in. I also think that medley relays (either on foot or in the pool) would work since there are 4 people for each team. The length of the legs could vary so the weaker racers could do shorter legs. Kids this age are often very strong swimmers and runners so they could compete. There could also be a challenge at an amusement park where you'd have to ride the scariest ride several times. Kids can go on a roller coaster over and over, adults- not so much.

Amaaazing Race 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-10-05, 01:15 PM (EST)
18. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
OMG I am new here and the Black family on TAR8 My son went to a basketball camp with them in late June, Early July. So we are rooting for them and when did the race start filming?

Phredster 85 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-28-05, 04:00 AM (EST)
19. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
>LAST EDITED ON 08-17-05
>AT 12:07 PM (EST)

>
>So the teams for TARF are
>up officially and there is
>a nine year old girl
>and an eight year old
>boy competing.
>
>Does anyone remember the movie Crazy
>People with the ad in
>it: This movie won't just
>scare you, it will f*
>you up for life!
That's
>exactly what I thought about
>these kids in this race.
>

Nah...any parent who thinks this thing is a good idea for kids has already f****d their kids up for life anyway.

shabalaba 369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-28-05, 07:18 PM (EST)
20. "RE: 8 and 9 year old competing?!?"
I think I could have been sold on this whole idea of bringing kids into the race if all of the teams had included kids. I think having an all adult team competing against a team with 8-12 yr olds is not fair. It can be looked at from both sides. Clearly, a team with children competing in the buggy task was going to do better than a team pulling adults. On the other hand, a team with four strong adults rowing the boat was going to do better than a team with 2 adults and 2 weaker children. Hopefully the producers balanced out the challenges so it doesn't give an unfair advantage to any particular group.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •