The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Last Comic Standing Forum (Protected)
Original message

Love2laugh213 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-02-06, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Love2laugh213 Click to send private message to Love2laugh213 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
As a recovering alcoholic myself and from a long line of alcoholics in my family, I took real offense to his ignorance about the disease with his controversal "Disease/Addiction" joke. While I wanted to laugh at the "you can't buy a bag of Teberculosis" joke...I really got mad at how ignorant he truly was. While more than half of the population in America are addicted to something whether it be drugs, alcohol, sex, or eating, etc. why would he think a joke like that would help him become The Last Comic Standing? Isn't the point to appeal to the audience? As much of the audience as possible?

Here's the lowdown on the disease: Alcoholism has been recognized as a disease by the MA for years and while you can't buy a bag of TB you also cannot buy a bag of obsession, spiritual malady, insanity, etc. These are what make an alcoholic. So what really is the difference between a disease and an addiction? Nothing. An addiction IS a disease. Even when it's cigarettes. Don't agree? Well, I'm certainly interested in knowing what the rest of you think. Frankly, I was disappointed and he DOES NOT get my vote.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... bflobrian 08-03-06 1
 RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... 2Centz 08-04-06 2
   RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... bflobrian 08-06-06 3
       RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... Abbynoxious 08-06-06 4
           RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... riverrocker 08-06-06 5
               RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... badfatty 08-08-06 6
                   RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment Wit... reev0098 08-08-06 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

bflobrian 4 desperate attention whore postings

08-03-06, 02:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bflobrian Click to send private message to bflobrian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
I agree...

Ty and Chris both use drugs and sex as comic expression. I have no laughter for either of them.

Josh is able to bring the audience down with his family spelling out words at the dinner table.

He had my daughter in tears.

I vote Josh all the way.

Bri

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

2Centz 150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-04-06, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 2Centz Click to send private message to 2Centz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"

Congratulations on your recovery; I can only imagine what a daily struggle it must be. I suspect Ty knows as well, as we all know somebody who has succumbed to addiction.

On any given night, one of the comics makes fun of some segment of the population, who, if they are as sensitive as you, would become irate. He didn't say that addiction was BS, he just said that he does not believe it should be compared to infectious diseases, like TB. There are many professional doctors, psychiatrists etc. out there that will agree with him. It's really a matter of semantics.

If comics did'nt make fun of anyone, there would be no comics. Have you seen Sara Silverman, Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, or even Jeff Foxworthy, who makes fun of rednecks? Should rednecks be mad?

If every single subset of the population is off limits, then the world will be a very humorless place. Oftentimes, making light of races and stereotypes can cast light on the absurdity of stereotyping. Look up Chapelle's most recent interview and his take on race humor.

Good luck on your journey. I think if you lighten up a bit, it might make things a little easier.

bflobrian 4 desperate attention whore postings

08-06-06, 01:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bflobrian Click to send private message to bflobrian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
2Centz,

You know after I read your post it made me think about what I wrote...about Ty and Chris resorting to drugs and sex as a crutch for their jokes.
I stand corrected.
I realize that comics need the problems of everyday life to have material for their jokes.
Josh included.

Thanks for the insight.
Bri

Abbynoxious 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-06-06, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Abbynoxious Click to send private message to Abbynoxious Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
Exactly.

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-06-06, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
Thanks to both of you for this thought-provoking thread. It does address the issue of the role of "comedy" in the society and the ability to bring serious issues into a "lighter" context.

Actually, we've thought that these three (Josh, Ty, & Chris) were indeed the best of the this group and will be successful in the comedy arena.

badfatty 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-08-06, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail badfatty Click to send private message to badfatty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
Ty is absolutely my favorite of the bunch, and has been since the beginning.
I have been in recovery for 6 1/2 years--big ol alcoholic for 14 years. I also have a sister to whom I'm very close that, as I type, is in a treatment center for methamphetamine addiction.
I still think his jokes about this stuff are funny. I also don't think he's ignorant at all to this subject. I happen to agree with him some too.

As much as I know personally what a struggle this crap is, I also firmly believe that there is a great deal of choice, decision-making involved. From the choice to get wasted or try drugs in the first place to the choice to do what is necessary to stop.
In the end, no matter how much help an addict/alcoholic gets, behavioral change is still required on the part of that person--the willingness (or lack of) to do that is a choice. Some choose it, some don't. The fact that it is incredibly hard does not make it impossible.

And the point for a comic is not to avoid offending people in every possible situation. The jokes about religion, politics, sex and drugs are a big part of most comics' material--and there are people on all sides of those issues, people who make up their audience.

I've heard the comics insult many things I believe, people I respect and values I hold. But if they're funny people, they still make me laugh. Ty is a gifted comic, and even though I know he won't win, I think he should.

reev0098 3 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-06, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail reev0098 Click to send private message to reev0098 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ty Was A BIG Disappointment With the Drug and Alcohol Theme"
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I too have been delivered from drugs for 14 years. And yes it was a difficult transition but not something that the doctor could have given me a prescription for. It was nothing that a cure could have cured. It is only my opinion that alcohol and drugs IS NOT a disease.

Besides it's comedy as stated earlier. What else can they talk about that wouldn't be controversial. People who enjoy comedy understands this fact and are not easily offended. It's just that Josh is the first comic that I know with a disability and I applaud him for that. But to make fun of your own disability some one could take offense of that as well.

But here's my two cents in it all, I think it boils down to which category of empathy you fall in. Are you voting for Josh because he is handicapped or Ty because he's a black man that needs a break? If it's because of old fashioned comedy, Ty wins hands down, or as Josh would say hand to the back side. (lol)no pun intended. May the best COMEDIAN win.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •