The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Real World / Road Rules Forum (Protected)
Original message

DaveThe Dude 967 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-08-09, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DaveThe%20Dude Click to send private message to DaveThe%20Dude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
Well, what did all you people think of this season's first Real World episode? There is certainly a strange mixture of people (and I use that term lightly) in this season's cast.

They kind of gave away one question in the half hour show after the first episode, and that had to do with the Mormon guy's sex life (or perpetual lack thereof).

I suspect (and hope) that there will be enough cast members who are unique enough to draw Batts and Vols and a few of the other former RW posters back to this forum.

Have a good season!!!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... Fishercat 01-08-09 1
   RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... Ahtumbreez 01-11-09 3
 RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... Pretty_Kitty 01-09-09 2
 RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... FlowerChild 01-12-09 4
   RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... DaveThe Dude 01-13-09 5
 RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... teacherkelly 01-13-09 6
   RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... DaveThe Dude 01-17-09 7
       RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... nazpink 01-18-09 8
           RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Epi... Angel_K 01-27-09 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-08-09, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
OK, my cable cut out right during Kate's big confession and the subsequent talk. I'll have to TiVo a later broadcast to pick it up.

My first episode thoughts

This cast seems much more bearable and kind than past casts. We didn't see a ton of anyone but Kate, Chet, and Ryan, but the other five (with Kate) seem like normal, sane, kind, human beings with reasonable goals, normal feelings, and good attitudes. Going one by one.

Sarah - I love this girl. I've read a little on Wikipedia about her, and there's a lot more to see it seems, but she tried to open up to Ryan and seemed to genuinely like and appreciate the situation. It's hard for me to compare her to anyone else, she seems like a somewhat unique addition to the cast. I'll be interested to see what happens with the preference switch and how she evolves over this season. I fear she'll fall into a Jamie-SD trap of never being seen with stronger women (I see a primary focus, a potential primary focus, and a solid secondary focus on her gender side), but I hope she gets legitimate airtime. Her career aspirations are extremely impressive to.

Devyn - She had a very quiet role in this episode that boiled down to boobs and a crush on our bodybuilding friend, and I think she's morality netural at this point. But I think she's there to gain the focus for several episode, whether it is over her being the hottest woman (IMO) in the house and the partying attention I expect to come from it, or perhaps something deeper. I think we're heavily cast with our moral compasses and Devyn won't be there, a more traditional Real Worlder in the ilk of our partying females of the past. I do like her though, there's something there to where I think we'll get an episode or two on her personal side.

Baya - I could be totally wrong, but I absolutely see Brynn in her as well in more than one way. Beyond a focus in the music/dancing scene, she seems like the perfect "B" girl for this show. Cute, guaranteed some attention, a shallower and fun story (as opposed to a Sarah or Kate) and meant to help the flow of the house. Every house needs one, and when it goes good, she can be a voice of reason type to help settle down the big personalities (which seem to be Ryan, Chet, and possibly Devyn), when not, they become background voices and we get a token episode about them before not being seen again.

Katelyn - Clearly our A story in this episode, with a few B-plots still whirling around it. I would say for good reason too. The RW, at its best, is a boundary breaking show where they cast the controversial people and let it all come out. The fact that it took this long to cast a trans-gendered member is surprising to me. I am hoping that this isn't all we get from her, as she seems like a fascinating character beyond her sexuality. I am going to put some faith in the editors that they used her as a "get to know you" type of icebreaker for viewers, and we'll see more later. The fact that her gender status is a focus is good, but I want more. She's clearly our star right now.

J.D. - Our Dolphin Trainer, and I think casting him is a fantastic move. They gave us the sexuality flip, by giving us a masculine gay man and our "metro" Mormon, and I am glad they did so. It's hard for him not to be sensitive to the issues in his environment so I want to see him in a setting beyond decrying Ryan's drinking and their discussions on Katelyn before I judge either way.

Scott - Stunningly quiet episode for someone who screams to be stereotyped as our bodybuilding jock. It's amazing what a contrast we have to last season's bodybuilder, Joey. He seems like a great guy and I'm rooting for him as a fellow resident of New Hampshire. I think we were supposed to juxtapose him and Ryan on the Katelyn issue. They are both from environments without very strong GLBT presences, and we saw how Ryan went for the accusation/assumption while Scott went for the side of caution.

Chet - I don't know what to think. He's perplexing me. Early on, he just seems like your RW gossiper, just a guy this time. I have stunningly little to say considering how often he was on screen.

Ryan - He was supposed to be our pot-stirrer this episode if Katelyn was supposed to be our subject. Here are my views on him

-I understand his lack of knowledge on the issue of Katelyn's gender. I think we're close to the point where the traditional gay community is understood, but a person who is transsexual is a different beast for many. I don't have a problem, but I don't think I have ever met anyone who was transsexual, and if I did, I clearly did not recognize him or her as such. Even the word "it", while demeaning and poorly chosen, I think could be understood in the sense of ignorance.

-I don't get the feeling he will change. I see him as someone who would tolerate Katelyn's gender change and not be openly hostile, but not exactly embrace her as he would any other female. I think it would work the same way with J.D. He won't discriminate against him or do anything to deliberately hurt him based on his gender, but I think it will be different.

-He was stunningly unemotional about his wartime and his comrade who killed himself. Maybe that's just his way of dealing, but being so...nonchalant was so off putting to me and I don't know how to react. No emotion, he seemed to just want to avoid it. If that affected him so little as it seems, then it leads me back to believing he isn't the type for change. With that said, I probably need to be more understanding on the massive amount of varying responses. Maybe he handles it with drinking, music, and writing.

No one is on my list of hate yet. I love Sarah at this point, and I have a positive opinion of everyone but Devyn (neutral), Chet (mildly negative), and Ryan (somewhat negative). I'm looking forward to this season as it seems it could be very different and, at least, much better than Hollywood.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-11-09, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
-He was stunningly unemotional about his wartime and his comrade who killed himself. Maybe that's just his way of dealing, but being so...nonchalant was so off putting to me and I don't know how to react. No emotion, he seemed to just want to avoid it. If that affected him so little as it seems, then it leads me back to believing he isn't the type for change.

I think his having basically written a book about his tour of duty is his way of handling the emotions of Iraq. He showed he was insecure of how his room-mates would react to the knowledge he was an Iraqi War veteran and probably went to the defense mechanism of showing very little emotion so they wouldn't be all wigged out.

My daughter is in Iraq now and some of her friends have voiced the concern on how to ask questions or react to things. I think she'll be different around the friends that is not in the Service than those that she has that are in Service. At least for a while.

Agman took me to the islands

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-09-09, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
I expected to watch the first 5 minutes and be disgusted and never watch again like Ive done the last few seasons but I was very pleasently surprised!

For once there are some interesting people who dont seem to only want to get trashed and fight.Yay! I love that they have a transgendered person. I come from a place where its not uncommon so its not weird for me at all and Im soooo curious to see how it all plays out. Im hoping that a few more minds will be opened.

I have high hopes for RW Brooklyn!!

FlowerChild 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-12-09, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FlowerChild Click to send private message to FlowerChild Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
Well.....of course I'm watching. The Real World is my most notable guilty pleasure.

I agree with what Fisher said - This cast seems much more bearable and kind than past casts. I'm hopeful that I will get to know these cast members better....and unlike MOST seasons, maybe I will even LIKE them more when all is said and done.

My first thoughts -

Sarah - There is something about Sarah that strikes me as odd. I can't quite put my finger on it. I want to like her, but my guard is up with her and I don't even know why. I typically trust my instincts and I have this feeling that Sarah isn't as loveable on the 'inside'. Time will tell.

Devyn, Baya, JD and Scott all seem very nice. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of them a bit better. I really like Baya - I think she's very honest and down to heart. I also think she is there to really enjoy the experience.

I really like Katelyn. She seems very educated and honest. It will be an interesting season for sure. I'm interested in seeing how she handles some of the other roommates. I imagine there could possibly be a few awkward moments.

Chet - He is defiantly perplexing me too. I almost find it hard to believe that he is not gay. I honestly wonder if he IS gay, but denies it to himself because of his strong religious beliefs? Who knows what his story is, maybe there is no story. Either way, I really like Chet. I think he's super cute and I love his style, but something just doesn't seem to add up. ??

Ryan - I haven't decided on Ryan yet. I understand his curiosity in regards to Katelyn, but I feel he could really go about it a different way. Course, I don't think he meant to be demeaning in anyway - it is just a sign of his ignorance maybe?

Who knows. We will see. I'm anxious to get to know these people a little bit better!!

I hope we can bring a few old faces around here for this season!

01-13-09, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DaveThe%20Dude Click to send private message to DaveThe%20Dude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
Hey, great postings!!!

I think I'll have to wait until the next episode to chime in with more (usuallyy crude) opinions. Hmmmmm, we shall see.....

teacherkelly 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-13-09, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail teacherkelly Click to send private message to teacherkelly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
I have watched every season of the RW except for the last season. Don't even know where it was located. The Australian season was what turned me off. But I was channel flipping the other night and caught the replay of the premiere. I agree, this cast seems more normal than the past few. It doesn't seem like they cast "types" this time around. It seems more like they looked for intriguing personalities. I will give it another watch based on what I saw.

01-17-09, 05:03 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
I'm not sure if this cast can be called "more normal" than previous ones. I guess that depends on what one thinks is normal. A virgin Mormon I can see, but one who acts kind of gay? Hmmm, very odd. A transgender creature who most definitely does NOT look like a woman? A girl whose love is dancing but does not seem to be that good of a dancer? Gosh, we'll just have to wait and see how this all turns out.

nazpink 1058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-18-09, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nazpink Click to send private message to nazpink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
I had no intentions of watching this season and pretty much accidently stumbled upon it and fell back into the habit...lol. Seriously, there must be some kind of support group for watching these type of shows. Anyway....

It wasn't bad. Certainly these folks really aren't "normal" but at least they behaved far more calm and collected than any other cast members of the past...so far. We'll see how long this all last. However, their worse may not even live up to or exceed that of RW alumni.

I did like the scene with Ryan and Chet in the boat making up a song, especially the part where Ryan says his roommate is gay and Chet responds by saying "no I'm not I'm metro and there's no sin in that". LOL.

Angel_K 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-27-09, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Angel_K Click to send private message to Angel_K Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Brooklyn Real World Series, Episode One"
Chet and Ryan were adorable on the after show. They seem to have developed a close friendship.

But If I were a roomie, I'm pretty sure I'd get a bit tired of the pranks.. reminiscent of Frank/Steven (RW Vegas)

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •