The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Joe Millionaire Forum (Protected)
Original message

Guppin1234 909 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-26-03, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Guppin1234 Click to send private message to Guppin1234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE"
DAVID SMITH GETS TWO WHOLE PAGES IN TV GUIDE AND A PHOTO INSET ON THE COVER!

On the cover, they show David and Evan back to back, David is looking at the camera, smilin' that southern smile, and Evan has just enough of a grimace to show those adorable dimples and he's looking at David sideways - Evan looks a little irked.

Inside, the photo just shows a picture of David with his hands on his hips wearing a leather shirt and buttoned down just enough to show some pec cleavage. He's wearing a white cowboy hat and some kind of necklace. The necklace is like a plus sign only with two small bars centered above the middle bar (hard to explain), it's almost like An American Lung Cancer symbol only briefer. He has an ambiguous smile on his face, and I guess those Crest White Strips really do work!

Article:

Is the next Joe Millionaire hiding a real-life fortune under his Stetson? A second helping of JOE by David Hochman

Years from now, when the reality TV bubble bursts and networks run out of shocking twists, Fox will probably still be scheming to keep this Joe Millionaire character going. Look how they've freshened hip up already. The first Joe, Evan Marriott, couldn't ride a horse to save his life. Now they've lassoed - gotta take the ass out of lassoed - a real-life Texas rodeo cowboy, David Smith, for the job. Marriott lived large on his supposed $19, a year construction worker's pay. Poor Smith squeaks by on a mere 11 grand, lives in a trailer and, unlike Marriott, doesn't have an underwear modeling career to fall back on. (Though, if truth be told, Smith does have a rich daddy in the oil business.) The new Joe even has a juicier lie. Whereas Marriott humiliated 20 beautiful American womer-er, tried to find his soul mate - by posing as a chateau-dwelling heir to $50 million, Smith gets to canoodle with 14 European babes at a posh Italian villa by pretending he's inherited $80 mil.

"It was real different from my usual lifestyle," says Smith, 24, who is all "thank yous" and "yes sirs" during a recent interview in Los Angeles. "You go to Europe and they're drinking $5 bottles of water, I'm used to drinking out of the horse trough."

The second coming of Joe Millionaire brings an old adage to mind. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...and the other 40 million viewers who tuned in last winter to watch Evan choose down-to-earth Zora over snooty Sarah in the endlessly hyped finale. OK, so Sarah turned out to be a bondage film actress and the winners never spoke again, but it made for great TV. Needless to say, Fox had to do a sequel.

"We went through a hundred different concepts for Joe 2," says Gail Berman, Fox Entertainment president. One possibility as to let a gaggle of beauties vie for two Joes (one rich, one poor), and there was talk of a Josephina Millionaire. "The trouble is, we knew the other networks would quickly try every other twist," says Fox executive VP of alternative programming Mike Darnell. "The best way to do it again was simply to do it again."

If only it were that simple. Practically everybody in America knew the Joe Millionaire premis, so Darnell had to move production to Europe, where the first season has never aired. Producers gathered women from places like Sweden, Czech Republic and Germany and gave the finalists lie detector tests to make sure they didn't know the big secret. "Right before we went into the villa, one girl admittted she'd heard the name Joe Millionaire before but didn't know what it meant," Darnell says, "We replaced her immediately."

Finding the new Joe was a little easier. He just walked out of the men's room at a rodeo in Mesquite, Texas. Or at least that's how Fox is playing Smith's discovery. The 6 foot, blue-eyed broncho rider insists he's a real cowboy and would sooner be kicked by a Clydesdale than go Holywood. He said he doesn't even mind surviving on $11k a year. "When I'm not in my trailer, I sleep in my truck" he says. Of course, Fox's press materials fail to mention that Smith's daddy made a killing in the oil business, and as Smith admits when pressed, "My dad's done everything for me. I've never had to work." Hmmmm, maybe this new Joe realy does have dough.

But why let reality get in the way of reality TV when there are stereotypes to exploit and money-grubbing hotties to bamboozle? "Once gain, the show plays up the tired cliche of women as gold diggers. Not every woman needs a man to give her expensive jewelry to make her happy," says Amy Sohn, sex columnist for New York magazine.

Perhaps not, but just in case, the necklaces Joe gives away this season are more valuable than the last. Joe's and his rendezvous with the ladies more lavish. He goes on elaborate "nationality dates," where the women celebrate their home countries - sort of like Epcot with romance and better food. There's even talk that Smith fell in love. All he'll say is, "These women were amazing. I was very emotional when it came down to making the final choices."

Filming in Europe wasn't without its hiccups. For one, Paul Hogan, back as the butler is now a celebrity. "It was mostly American tourists we had to keep an eye on," he says. "We didn't want the women knowing. I was being recognized." Hogan coached Smith on how to keep up the illusion. "David turned out to be a much better liar than Evan," he says.

Ah yes, Evan. The lovable lunk drops by for a cameo in an upcoming episode. "Basically, it's a 'Where's Waldo?' moment," Marriott says. meanwhile, he's traded construciton jobs for tooling around Hollywood in a $50k Mercedes and making cameo appearances on Charmed, MadTV and Cedric the Entertainer Presents. This fall, he'll play a criminal informant on the syndicated She Spies and voice a character in a Simpsons episode. There's only one problem, and it may be the most shocking twist of the whole Joe Millionaire sage. Marriott is still single.

For a rundown of JM's women, go to http://www.tvguide.com/joe

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE Tiger Lily 10-27-03 1
   Can a ditz lie? Guppin1234 10-27-03 2
       RE: Can a ditz lie? Tiger Lily 10-27-03 3
 post the pix! cqvenus 10-27-03 4
   RE: post the pix! EmpressDR 11-02-03 6
 RE: THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE EmpressDR 11-02-03 5
   Bits of it Guppin1234 11-02-03 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-27-03, 00:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE"
Lie detector tests? They gave them lie detector tests? Too funny.

Wouldn't that raise a bit of... suspicion?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

10-27-03, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Guppin1234 Click to send private message to Guppin1234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Can a ditz lie?"
I know. I don't remember hearing about that before this article. I wonder what was going through their heads as they did the test? You would think that would raise a lot of suspicion, but with the kind of associations they make, the brain power is just not there ie we could live on the ranch and eat ranch dressing.

and he drinks out of a horse trough? get that boy a culture, stat!

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-27-03, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Can a ditz lie?"
If they actually asked them the question "Have you ever heard of Joe Millionaire" while hooked up to a lie detector, you'd hope that at the very least, they wouldn't have been so surprised to hear that David is a "millionaire". Maybe that's just giving them too much credit. Although I still can't stop chuckling at the thought of giving them lie detectors for this purpose- like they're war criminals or something.

As for David drinking out of a horse trough, I don't find that so strange. But then, I spent much of my childhood on a ranch.

Didn't actually drink out of a horse trough when growing up, but wouldn't have been surprised at the ranchhands doing so.

cqvenus 9764 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-27-03, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "post the pix!"
can someone go the extra mile and post the pix?

I scoured the internet for them but they're not available yet b/c of the hype with the stupid matrix tv guides.

if you have it and can scan it, we will *heart* you undubiously!!!

- taking it upon herself to speak for everyone. what else is new?

EmpressDR 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-02-03, 05:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EmpressDR Click to send private message to EmpressDR Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: post the pix!"
I DID find the cover pic, on Ebay--but that was ALL. I posted it in my groups, in the Photo sections, in the folder marked "Magazine." However, you can't link to them from a yahoo folder, for this thread--it doesn't work. Maybe someone else can upload them?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeMillionaireEvanMarriott
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeMillionaire2DavidSmith

EmpressDR 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-02-03, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EmpressDR Click to send private message to EmpressDR Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: THIS JUST IN.. TV GUIDE ARTICLE"
Did you transcribe ALL of that? That was wonderful of you! I;'d only transcribed bits of it, in my own post, so that is a help!

11-02-03, 10:04 PM (EST)
7. "Bits of it"
Yes ma'am. I am a hypertyper by trade, so aint no thing.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •