The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Any MASH fans here?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

ladycub 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-11-05, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladycub Click to send private message to ladycub Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Any MASH fans here?"
I'm in the process of collecting all the episodes. Season eight coming out soon.

What are your favorite episodes?

Mine has to be the one when Henry goes home. Even with the sad ending. I understand the the cast was not told what the ending would be, so all there reactions are completly natural.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Any MASH fans here? realtyamazed 03-11-05 1
 Suicide is Painless Puffy 03-13-05 2
 Two different shows AyaK 03-16-05 3
   RE: Two different shows kathliam 03-18-05 4
   RE: Two different shows Cygnus X1 03-20-05 5
       RE: Two different shows Cygnus X1 11-04-05 10
 RE: Any MASH fans here? jkokoj 03-21-05 6
 RE: Any MASH fans here? newsomewayne 04-01-05 7
 RE: Any MASH fans here? Molaholic 04-10-05 8
 RE: Any MASH fans here? Pensha26 04-18-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realtyamazed 189 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-11-05, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realtyamazed Click to send private message to realtyamazed Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Any MASH fans here?"
Grew up during the MASH era, but never liked the show. I did see the final episode.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Puffy 6571 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-13-05, 02:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Suicide is Painless"
I don't have a favorite episode; the entire series was a favorite of mine. I have fond memories of watching MASH. What characters!

A SyrenŽOriginal
ŠSyren Creations, 2005

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-05, 10:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Two different shows"
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-05 AT 10:09 PM (EST)

I always thought that MASH should be thought of as two different shows.

The first seasons (with Wayne Rogers and McLain Stevenson) were intended to be sophomorish, farcical and snarky, like the movie. I didn't care for them.

The later seasons (with Mike Farrell and Harry Morgan) were much, much better, because the humor wasn't so forced. Instead, the show became more like the MTM sitcoms: people behaved in ways consistent with their characters, and the humor came out of everyday events, not contrived situations.

I could never believe that Hawkeye and Trapper John would listen to someone as ineffectual as Henry was in the show -- or that Henry would be able to protect them from the consequences of their actions. But Col. Potter was a different matter. The character oozed authority, and he would've appealed to all of the doctors on the show, from an anarchist like Hawkeye to a prig (but great surgeon) like Winchester.

But the finale was a disaster. Apparently Alda had wanted to write a breakdown for Hawkeye into the regualr episodes, but the network and the producers objected. So he stuck it in the finale, where it seemed totally artificial.

Yet it's hard to pick a favorite episode, because the episodes did kinda blend together. I remember Klinger ordering hot dog casings from Tony Pacho's ... Hawkeye and Hot Lips stranded when their Jeep was shelled ... and a lot of others ... but not just one or two that stood out, as with (say) The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

kathliam 3666 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-18-05, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kathliam Click to send private message to kathliam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Two different shows"
M*A*S*H was always one of my favorite shows, and with it being in syndication forever, and the fact you could find it on one cable station or another almost any time of day, I can recognize the story line of any episode in the first 3 minutes. (I can name that episode is 3 lines...2 lines...ok, name that episode.)

Favorites? There are so many. The one they did in real time where the soldier's artery was severed and they had 21 minutes to repair before paralysis set in. Hawkeye in his tuxedo and Groucho Marx glasses. Margaret and Frank. Radar and his animals.

Great series, great characters. The characters were nuanced, not caricatures. It is amazing that it lasted on the air 11 years, weathering many cast and character changes. Losing Henry Blake and Trapper John, gaining Col. Potter, then losing Frank and replacing him with Charles Winchester. They pretty much managed to do so seamlessly.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-05, 11:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Two different shows"
At first, I couldn't see why McLean Stevenson didn't last more than three seasons. Having watched these DVDs with Ladycub (surprise, surprise), I see clearly why he couldn't have been there that long. Concur with AK that they couldn't have gone 11 years with Henry Blake at the helm. He was too much of a boob, in some ways more so than Frank Burns. And as we know, the role was Stevenson's career killer.

Sure, the show was built around Hawkeye, as it should have been, but Potter (as AK points out) gave it a dose of realism. And replacing Burns with Winchester was a great move; he was a more complex character than the often one-dimensional Burns, who wasn't long for the series once Hot Lips wanted to get married.

The series also might have been too good to Gary Burghoff, who played Radar too well. Can we say typecasting? I'm also surprised in retrospect he lasted as long as he did.

What I don't like about the later years of M*A*S*H is that the actors all sounded like they were reading their lines off cue cards (especially Morgan, Jamie Farr, and William Christopher). I blame that on the influence of producer Burt Metcalfe, and I also think the show went too serious when everyone became buddy-buddy. Without conflict, there's no comedy (unless you want Ozzie and Harriet). Also, they had less to work with once Hawkeye wasn't as much of a womanizer and had shtupped Margaret, Frank was out of the picture, Radar went home, and Klinger had given up on the Section 8 bid. They felt they had to Get Serious.

Still, M*A*S*H was ahead of its time in many ways, and I can forgive the blatant antiwar screeds (many Korean War vets HATE the show). Favorite episodes include "Yankee Doodle Doctor", "I Hate A Mystery", "Tuttle", and "Dear Sigmund".

Which reminds me of an important lesson that sitcoms that came after M*A*S*H seem to forget:

Don't. Overuse. Guest. Characters.

If the show came out today, you'd see Sidney Freedman (the shrink) and Colonel Flagg (the CIA guy) every week. M*A*S*H wisely saved them until appropriate and didn't wear out their welcome (Larry, Darryl and Darryl from Newhart come to mind). Also, when watching the early episodes, you can see that the producers so wanted a general (Clayton or Mitchell) to be a regular cast member from offstage. I'm glad they ultimately decided against it. Klinger and Mulcahy were added to the regular cast when they had logically begun to fit in, and they weren't offstagers anyway.

"Oh, Frank...you're so above average."

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-05, 07:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Two different shows"
Just finally having gotten Season 8 for Ladycub, pretty much everything I've said has come to roost.

This SHOULD have been the last year of this show, once Radar left. I will grant that some of the episodes are compelling TV, but I didn't start watching M*A*S*H for compelling TV, but to laugh my butt off. Is that so wrong?

Even when taking over Radar's job, everything Jamie Farr said as Klinger sounded forced, as if he still had the Section 8 bit going.

I'll take Seasons 1-5. For all their failings (the flat characters of Henry, Trapoper, and Frank especially), these were the consummate M*A*S*H seasons, when the most fun was being had.

BTW, Wayne Rogers is a regular panelist on Fox News on Saturday mornings.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-21-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Any MASH fans here?"
Huge M*A*S*H fan...started watching as a kid. I loved Klinger, he always made me laugh! Hated the finale...too serious with Hawkeye being institutionalized.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-05, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Any MASH fans here?"
Big MASH fan here. After my first semester in college, I came back to school with glasses. Being short with a round face, my friends started calling me Radar. It stuck for 7 years.

Shhhhhhhhh. You smell something? Cross-streaming by JSlice, 2005

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

04-10-05, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Any MASH fans here?"
Yet another huge M*A*S*H fan here. I've got all seven seasons released so far and will order #8 as soon as I get the flash from Amazon.

M*A*S*H was an amazing ensemble show in that it survived, nay, thrived, after multiple changes in major characters. Col. Blake, Trapper, Maj. Burns replaced by Col. Potter, BJ and Maj. Winchester. Radar leaves. Yet, the show was stronger then ever.

Impossible for me to pin down a single favorite episode. Some of my top moments:

Sniper outside the camp. Radar and Blake hiding in the shower. Radar tries to get out, is forced to scramble back -- and at the last moment, loses his towel and his bare tushy is exposed on camera. A first for network TV, years before NYPD Blue.

Winchester gets his shotgun. Hires Klinger is be his hunting dog.
Klinger flushes a bird -- Winchester smotes it, the bird falls and hits a land mine. BOOOM. As Winchester flees in terror, Klinger is already several hundred yards ahead.

BJ the prankster. Burns his usual paranoid self. Freedmen as the accomplice yells "AIR RAID!" Burns screeches "AIR RAID!" and dives into his foxhole just outside the swamp. BJ had just filled it with water. Burns, still screeching, nearly drowns.

Final irony, Frank Burns, ultimate dufus, after assaulting some General and his wife while on leave -- gets transferred back to the states and -- promoted to Lt. Col.

Yet another Syren gem Š MMV
Now siggie-comment free!

Pensha26 772 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-18-05, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pensha26 Click to send private message to Pensha26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Any MASH fans here?"
Huge fan and I too hav e all of the seasons on DVD. It hard to pin down a favorite episode, but when I find it on the hallmark Channel, I sit and watch for hours.

The show is a classic and will never be duplicated.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •