The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Threshold"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-17-05, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Threshold"
Who else saw this premiere last night on CBS?

Looks like a tv version of War of the Worlds.

I liked the characters - each a tad eccentric, and I'm sure each has a secret.

Carla Gugino's has to do with her father. Can anyone say, "Mulder's sister storyline?" Ten to one Dad was abducted by aliens.............

I liked the fractal angle. They're fun to look at, even though I have no concept of how they figure into math and science.

Anyway - this looks like it could be fun. Not much will get resolved each week, but the action will be exciting.

Anyone flying with me on this new series?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Threshold Bebo 09-17-05 1
 RE: Threshold Snidget 09-17-05 2
 RE: Threshold zombiebaby 09-18-05 3
   RE: Threshold CattyChat 09-18-05 4
   RE: Threshold Bebo 09-18-05 5
   RE: Threshold EnglProf 09-20-05 10
       RE: Threshold zombiebaby 09-21-05 15
           RE: Threshold okaychatt 09-22-05 17
 RE: Threshold RealityMom 09-18-05 6
 RE: Threshold Tahj 09-19-05 7
 RE: Threshold Swami 09-20-05 8
   RE: Threshold flipxcyd 09-22-05 16
       RE: Threshold okaychatt 09-22-05 18
           RE: Threshold flipxcyd 09-22-05 21
 RE: Threshold SurvivorBlows 09-20-05 9
   RE: Threshold okaychatt 09-20-05 11
       RE: Threshold SurvivorBlows 09-20-05 12
           RE: Threshold okaychatt 09-21-05 13
           RE: Threshold Bebo 09-21-05 14
               RE: Threshold Swami 09-22-05 19
                   RE: Threshold CattyChat 09-22-05 20
                       RE: Threshold Bebo 09-22-05 22
                       RE: Threshold vs. Surface photokitty 09-23-05 25
                       RE: Threshold SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 31
 RE: Threshold okaychatt 09-23-05 23
 RE: Threshold Elaine0 09-23-05 24
 It's Official, I'm Hooked CattyChat 09-24-05 26
   RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked okaychatt 09-24-05 27
       RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked bystander 09-24-05 28
           RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 32
       RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked flipxcyd 09-24-05 29
       RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked Swami 09-25-05 30
 RE: Threshold Loree 09-30-05 33
 Cancelled KScott 11-29-05 34
   RE: Cancelled Tahj 11-29-05 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-17-05, 06:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Threshold"
I enjoyed it. I've always been a huge Carla Gugino fan, and I enjoy Brent Spiner too. It's got a spot on the DVR list for me now.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-17-05, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Threshold"
What I watched of it looked good.

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

09-18-05, 08:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Threshold"
I still don't know. I will watch again but something was missing.

I do like the story idea.

I love Peter Dinklage and think it is great they cast him. This guy is a fine actor.

Tom Cruise's cousin is in danger of being typecasted

However I don't really care what happened to lady's father. Her backstory holds zero interest for me. Even though I am sure it will tie in someway to the storyline.

Look at me I got a Sweet Summer Syren Siggie!

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-18-05, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Threshold"
Watched it & really enjoyed it. I have one problem, now, I have TWO shows that are going to leave me hanging each week, trying to figure out what the heck is going on. (Not as good as Lost, though). I'll stick with it & hope it stays smart & suspensful & doesn't turn hokey. The cast is really good.

>"Tom Cruise's cousin is in danger of being typecasted ."
I have a feeling Mr. William Mopather doesn't mind the typecasting one bit -- also, with a mug like his, what other role CAN he play, other than creepy, scary, weird guy??

09-18-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Threshold"
I love Peter Dinklage and think it is great they cast him. This guy is a fine actor.

I had only heard the name, but now I understand why. He took over every scene he was in. I'm enjoying seeing this band of genius misfits try to work together.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-20-05, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Threshold"
Peter Dinklage was so much fun to watch. I agree that he stole the scenes he was in. I'm disappointed that they don't put him in the previews but I don't know why that is. Is he not a big name draw?

I found myself realizing what a great actor he is
and hoping he gets other roles like this one where his size isn't a factor at all. It just is such a non-issue--he's great.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-05, 07:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Threshold"
I'm actually hoping he gets to be the Carla's love interest! That? I would respect tons!

Good too see you around again Engl Prof!

09-22-05, 05:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Threshold"
<Carla's love interest

That would be a good storyline, but my money is on the CIA guy as the love interest.

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-18-05, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Threshold"
I have the show on Tivo and can't wait to watch the premiere before the second episode airs. Carla Gugino and Peter Dinklage are two people I really enjoy. I've liked Carla in everything I've seen including "Karen Sisco" which lasted about two minutes. I just saw Peter Dinklage in a play on Thursday and my husband came out asking what else we'd seen him in besides "The Station Agent". All I could think of was "Elf" but I said he's in a new show that's gotten really good reviews, so maybe this is his chance for a real breakthrough. Then on Friday, the play was reviewed in the LA Times and here's what it said "Streep would steal the show with her razor-sharp accents, her split-second change of characters, if Dinklage weren't just as good, if more subtle." A pretty high compliment, indeed! Looks like two stars who deserve it are on the "Threshold" of success.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-19-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Threshold"
I liked it a lot. It does have an X-files feel.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-05, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Threshold"
I'm watching! I'm a SciFi fan in general, and this show seems to have an interesting premise. It's nice to see Brent Spiner again, too.

I loved the last scene--with the cars driving in that pattern. I wasn't expecting that at all when the camera backed off!

flipxcyd 1053 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-22-05, 02:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Threshold"
Sorta like the ending of Mothman Prophecies where the car headlights shining through the river at night formed those red eyes.

I for one am still on the fence on this show. I just watched the 2 hour show off of my Tivo. I still gotta watch another show to make sure it's a keeper. I agree...something's missing here.

09-22-05, 05:29 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Threshold"
<something's missing here

Pilots have a job to do - introduce the premise and the characters. That can make for a dry viewing.

The pace may pick up.

09-22-05, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Threshold"
Yep, very aware of that. Hopefully, it'll turn out ok.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-05, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Threshold"
I had a baseball game to go to last Friday, but I taped the premiere and finally got a chance to watch it Sunday night (no awards shows for me thank you.)

I'd been looking forward to the show but came away quite a bit disappointed. Especially once I noticed the Star Trek director guy's name in the credits.

I hope that the show doesn't just turn into an X-Files-like "freak of the week" with the reoccurring background storyline popping up every few weeks, but given CBS keeps touting a claim that it's the "best scifi show since the X-Files," that's what it's looking like its going to become. Personally I was looking for a serialized drama. Although, like a said earlier this summer, Threshold/Surface/Invasion are all still looking like the same idea, it looks like -- at least based on last night's premiere -- that NBC's Surface will be the more serialized show. We'll see what ABC's Invasion brings on Wednesday.

09-20-05, 05:48 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Threshold"
<We'll see what ABC's Invasion brings on Wednesday.

I may give it a try, but I think my brain can handle only one sci-fi series a season.

I missed NBC's entry.

09-20-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Threshold"
I don't think I'll be watching all three regularly either -- annd frankly I'd be shocked if more than one made it to Thansgiving -- but with Invasion on right after Lost, I'm planning on checking all three of them out before deciding which to keep watching

09-21-05, 08:26 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Threshold"
<but with Invasion on right after Lost

I haven't seen Lost either.

(Tapping foot, waiting to hear why I should be watching it....)

09-21-05, 08:47 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Threshold"
I'm planning on checking all three of them out before deciding which to keep watching

I'm trying out Threshold and Invasion. Since Surface comes on opposite Prison Break, I'm not even giving it a try. But a Lost/Invasion double-header could be a cool Wednesday night block.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-22-05, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Threshold"
So is Invasion good? We had mega thunderstorms here and my DISH couldn't see her satellite. I hate when that happens!

09-22-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Threshold"
I'm on the fence with Invasion. It was a pretty weird pilot & there were things that happened that got on my nerves & I thought were ridiculous.

What I really liked about it is the super-cute lead actor who I first saw last week on Celebrity Poker Showdown. He is great to watch with those dimples.

I'm curious to see what the heck is going on & I really want to know how long ago the sheriff guy has been an alien or in cahoots with the aliens or what his deal is. He is obviously bad & has been that way prior to the "hurricane."

What got on my nerves & was ridiculously implausible --

1. I don't care how bad a prior marriage was, what husband & son would tell their ex-wife/mother to "go home" & leave when her little daughter is lost in a hurricane and she actually leaves??

2. No one seemed concerned enough that little girl was lost in the hurricane & when found & brought home, new wife & son rush to father to hug & see if okay & later acknowledged little girl.

3. The cat couldn't have been in the truck the whole time & how did it get in the truck.

4. Driving back home after little girl found & windshield smashed with flying debris, causes truck to flip over. They were not driving that fast to cause that serious of an accident. Luckily all okay, including the cat, who was not wearing a seat belt, mind you.

5. Loser brother taking little girl into the swamp to see if there is any sign of aliens -- she's just a little girl!! At least he comes to senses & takes her home before pulling weird skeleton from swamp.

6. Everyone a little too calm after finding mom bare-butt nekkid in the swamp & going about normally, even though her attitude has done 180 from angry ex to smiley, doped up acting.

I better stop, because I can just go on and on. I guess my expectations are getting too high for these new shows. Because it's after Lost, I'll give it a couple more weeks to see if there is any good reason (other than the gorgeous, dimply lead actor) to continue watching.

So far, Threshold is better IMO & I didn't catch Surface, so I don't know how that premier was.

09-22-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Threshold"
*THWACK*

That was for Mr B for calling me at 10:45 to tell me he was on his way home from work and not getting off the damn phone when I told him I was watching Invasion. Oh well, I do have it on DVR so I can watch the ending.

Maybe I was just uncomfortable watching a fictionalized hurricane so soon after Katrina, and with Rita barreling into Texas. Maybe it was the plot holes big enough to drive an RV through (thanks for pointing out a bunch of them, Catty). Maybe it was that this show followed a typically wonderful episode of Lost. But it just left me cold.

I'll probably give it another episode or two just to see whether I like it when I'm not dealing with Mr B expecting me to talk with him while he's at the McDonald's drive-thru. We'll see. But for right now, it's just eh to me.

| |

photokitty 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-23-05, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail photokitty Click to send private message to photokitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Threshold vs. Surface"
The New York Times reviewer compared the suspense of Threshold to Hitchcock, and the suspense of Surface to Spielberg (Jaws.) Make of that what you will.

I liked Threshold, but found it dry in parts. I'll chalk that up to it being a pilot, as someone (Okaychatt?) suggested and I'll give it another try. Surface I watched for a half hour, got bored and switched to Kitchen Confidential (MUCH better!) Invasion is still waiting for me--maybe I'll watch it tonight.

09-29-05, 00:45 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Threshold"
I agree the show was weird and had some huge holes. But coming from "American Gothic" Shaun Cassidy, I can't say I was really surprised. Honestly, I think this show was a post-Lost time period hit, but we'll see.

Frankly, Cassidy seems to be a one-idea guy... "Gothic" was also based around a sheriff, a doctor, and based in a small town where everyone was not as they seemed. That sheriff was also a bad guy. It lasted one season.

09-23-05, 08:39 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Threshold"
Looks like tonight's episode has little military school kiddies firing guns.

What's the deal with that spiral and fractals?! I don't get how/why fractals are so much a part of mathematics.

Is anyone a math major here? Oh well - unless the explanation were in preschool language, I probably wouldn't be able to get the connection.

I guess I'll just have to accept the vastness of all I don't know or understand and try to make sense of what I can on this new series.

Elaine0 1507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-23-05, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Elaine0 Click to send private message to Elaine0 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Threshold"
I made sure to watch all 3 of the shows this past week. Right now I like Invasion the best. Why? I'm not sure. I agree with the annoying holes in script. Maybe I was still hyped up from Lost. I hate stories with cats because I am always worried they will be killed. I worry enough about Vincent anyway.

After Invasion, I'd take Threshold and then Surface, but all three held my attention. I will give each of them at least one or two more chances. I missed the first 15 minutes of the first episode of Lost last year, so I never bothered to watch it. I did start watching when the reruns started and read recaps of shows they didn't air, but I have kicked myself in the butt many times for not watching the show when the rest of the world did. I don't want that to happen again.

09-24-05, 10:40 AM (EST)
26. "It's Official, I'm Hooked"
Another great ep of Threshold last night. This show has it all -- very, very smart writing & excellent acting & characters. I haven't found anything to pick on or gaping plot holes.

I was so tense during the stand off with the military boys on what the outcome would be -- scary situation to be put in, if they wouldn't have laid down their arms . . .

This show is great & I'm hooked. (Still haven't seen Surface, so no opinion -- Invasion had so many holes & bad acting, I'll give it another shot only cuz it follows Lost to see if it gets better.)

09-24-05, 11:11 AM (EST)
27. "RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked"
<I'm hooked

LOL! And about half way through last night's show, I turned the tv off, vowing to not watch again.

I'm not sure what's bothering me about this show. I don't do well with shows that keep stringing you along without getting anything resolved, and that fractal thing is driving me batty.

The plot seems to be the same each week - an "infected" person corners the head honcho and she barely escapes. They're going to have to do something else to bring me back.

X-Files, this is not. There's not enough variety in the plots for me in Threshold.

bystander 4967 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-24-05, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked"
I'm leaning toward agreeing with you okay. It looks like every episode is going to be the same thing in a different location. I'll probably check it out next week yet but if that's the way it goes, I'll probably trash it.

09-29-05, 00:49 AM (EST)
32. "RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked"
>I'm leaning toward agreeing with you okay. It looks like
>every episode is going to be the same thing in
>a different location. I'll probably check it out next
>week yet but if that's the way it goes, I'll
>probably trash it.

This is what I was worried it was going to become based on the conclusion of the pilot. I call it the "freak of the week" approach (see "Smallville" for another example)

09-24-05, 09:25 PM (EST)
29. "RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked"
I agree "okaychatt". If this is what's going to happen for each and every member of the crew on that ship, I really don't want to see the same plot, but with a different crew member.

Sorry Threshold....

09-25-05, 12:39 PM (EST)
30. "RE: It's Official, I'm Hooked"
I thought the second ep was pretty clunky, plotwise. Way too much running around cluelessly with guns. I want to see more of the "smart" characters being smart. I hope Threshold doesn't deteriorate into a Boogeyman of the Week show!

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Threshold"
I was looking forward to this show. But I got bored before the first 2 hours was over. And I didn't bother watching the next ep. I guess I have given up on it already.

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings

11-29-05, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "Cancelled"
"LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- It's the end of the road for three freshman series: ABC's "Hot Properties," CBS' "Threshold" and Fox's "Reunion."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/29/television.cancel.reut/index.html

A Syren original
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-29-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Cancelled"
Oh well, I liked it in the beginning but it got pretty boring after that.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •