The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Canadian Idol - Opinions"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Lumster 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-23-03, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Canadian Idol - Opinions"
It just occurred to me that even the Canadian contest may not be as fair as we might want to think it is. I was thinking back to the wild card contest and how they surprised everyone by selecting an 11th contestant without any prior mention that this may be a possibility. I was thinking maybe Ryan was indeed the one with the highest votes for the wild card and that Toya was included because she was the judge's choice. I'm not saying this is because I don't think Toya is a good singer. On the contrary. It's just surprising that she ended up in the bottom three in all weeks (except the Motown week). Maybe the fan base was never really there. I keep thinking about the rigging of American Idol 2 and how Ruben got the title because the producers thought he would be more marketable. "In all fairness", they decided to release both Ruben and Clay's singles at the same time. Why? Because they felt bad rigging the contest in Ruben's favor. The numbers prove Clay was and should've been the true winner (selling twice as much as Ruben). Rigging contests like these are self-defeating. Why bother with the concept if the producers will go with their own "favorites" in the end?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Canadian Idol - Opinions spinningwords 08-23-03 1
 RE: Canadian Idol - Opinions strid333 08-23-03 2
   RE: Canadian Idol - Judges Lumster 08-24-03 3
       RE: Canadian Idol - Judges strid333 08-24-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

spinningwords 96 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-23-03, 09:46 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Canadian Idol - Opinions"
You could very well be right. Even American Juniors which should have been clean was not. There is very clear evidence that Chauncey was brought into the group; not as the judges choice but apparently as the producers choice. There are many rumors flying around but the one that seems the most plausible is that viewers who THOUGHT they were voting for Lucy that night were actually voting for Chauncey - (via a classic switcheroo) - if you were watching that particular night you may recall that Debbie Gibson's comments on Lucy were to the effect America would be foolish not to vote Lucy into the group. Of course Lucy went on to win the next week with her brillian version of Call Me but Chauncey should never have been inducted in.... Anyhow, off my soapbox on THAT particular topic.

There appears to be other ways to slant the publics votes. I was thinking about the final performances for American Juniors today and did a bit of research on the songs each child sang.. I'm not sure if the kids were allowed to choose their own music for the final show but they definately did not have their own choice of music for the other episodes - so I'm assuming the music was picked for them for the final as well. This would be an excellent way for the producers to slant the voting in favor of a particular contestant if they so desired. Danielle never once made it into the top 3. Why not? Could it be she never had a decent song that showcased her voice for the people that did the voting? (teenagers and young adults?) By giving her a song that was catchy and upbeat AND suitable for her voice she was in all likelihood going to win the competition.

Chantel probably never really stood a chance and all the suspence was just for show. I suspect Danielle won by thousands of votes. Chantelle's performances had not been consistent for weeks and her performance of Sundown in particular did not suit her voice. The producers made a smart choice and did not give her a ballad which would complement her and made sure that she had to sing in a lot of different ranges. She wasn't up to the challenge.

Maybe this is why in American Idol the producers gave them 3 songs to sing.... Judges Choice, Artists Choice and Random choice out of a bowl. I would suggest that this should probably be done for Canadian Idol as well.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-23-03, 11:47 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Canadian Idol - Opinions"
I agree with the rigging feeling with AI and CI. (Though I never watched AJ because BB was always on at the same time and I'm not as interested in young teenagers and pre-teens). I think one thing that they (producers) could do is actually say the number of votes. For example, Audrey you got 3000 votes. Toya you got 2000 votes. I'm sorry Toya . . .

Three is the perfect number.

Lumster 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-24-03, 10:20 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Canadian Idol - Judges"
Another thing that has been bugging me is the objectivity of the judges has been going downhill since the final 11 took the stage in their new home. The comments are becoming less and less meaningful - Sass and Jake in particular. It's like more about bashing the other judges, especially Zach, then it is about critiquing the performances of the contestants.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-24-03, 10:32 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Canadian Idol - Judges"
I agree. At first, I thought that our judges were better than the American counterparts because ours were offering constructive critism and suggestions, etc. Now they are becoming the American judges. Zach is Simon - awful, dreadful, etc. Sass is Paula - you are such a star and I love you, etc. And Farley and Jake are Randy - kinda in the middle without all the Dawgs and Wudups.

Three is the perfect number.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •