The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ryunkin 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-12-12, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ryunkin Click to send private message to ryunkin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
I am a 60+ year-old white, reasonably conservative American male and even I have shake my head at the extremely flawed AI voting system and at the complete and utter racist morons who are doing the voting. After tonight, if I were a talent agent, I would advise any prospective client to avoid this show if you value your career.

I have watched AI since season three, and one thing I've noticed that there is little correlation between the amount of votes a contestant gets and the amount of music they will sell after their AI career is over. With the exception of two Idol winners, no one has begun a successful music career after winning the AI title. Why?

Basically people vote their bias and not their appreciation of talent. Which means that the majority of the voters don't buy cds and are only voting to prove a social point. If you notice, the majority of the top vote-getters are from the South, not a demographic that has much appreciation for, nor knowledge of actual music and what musical talent means.

Singers like Johnny Cash become mega-stars when they latch onto a lifestyle and become a representative of that life style. Mr. Cash couldn't sing his way out of a megaphone, but his skills meant nothing because he became the exemplar of the backwoods gentleman and had everyone south of the Mason Dixon line in his corner and buying his music.

Bruce Springsteen (in my home state of New Jersey, sadly to say, became the model of the cloddish, boring white American male, so it doesn't matter whether his voice sounds like a castrated bull's wail of pain, he was accepted as a suburban, white icon and beyond criticism. This is, and always has been the American music scene and I've gotten use to it. But I don't have to buy the Cash or Springsteen crap and I haven't. The difference with Joshua and Jessica, two of the bottom trio on tonight's show, and why I'm so POed, is that these two are just starting out in their careers and I may never get an opportunity to buy their music, and why? Because a small group(18 million people watch American Idol each week, so how many of this audience is actually voting) of morons vote them off the show. Even worse, I will know longer have the privilege of listening to the two most talented performers on the show and maybe for the entire existence of the show, which will lead me to tune out the show the week after their absurd dismissals. I wonder how many people in the TV audience will join me and boycott the remaining shows and perhaps forgo watching it next year unless Idol creates a one phone one vote system to prevent the speed dial voting that has turned the show into a joke. As it stands, winning this idiotic title means absolutely nothing unless the winners are able to turn their win into cash, which they haven't been able to do with the exception of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. Alas, AI may be going down in flames if it doesn't find a way to eliminate the bigots and idiots who are misusing the telecommunications system.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... mrc 04-13-12 1
   RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... Starshine 04-13-12 3
       RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... agman 04-13-12 4
 RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... agman 04-13-12 2
 RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... csnumber23 04-13-12 5
   RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... Snidget 04-13-12 6
       RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... qwertypie 04-18-12 7
           RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... agman 04-18-12 8
               RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... qwertypie 04-19-12 9
                   RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious... agman 04-19-12 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-13-12, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
If you notice, the majority of the top vote-getters are from the South, not a demographic that has much appreciation for, nor knowledge of actual music and what musical talent means.

This is one of the silliest things I've ever read on these boards. I could make a list of southern musicians and artists, but I'll just assume everyone else agrees that this claim is unsupportable.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-13-12, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
The Beautiful South

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-12, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
Pushes "like" button!

04-13-12, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
You never explain how these voters are all racists! How do you support your claim that the majority of voters don't by CD's?

Mrc, already covered your claim about the supposed lack of musical talent and appreciation in the south, so I'll ditto his feelings. The point you make that I will agree with is that the voting system does seem to have some flaws that need to be worked out.

csnumber23 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-13-12, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail csnumber23 Click to send private message to csnumber23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
Please don't post this bs here again. Race??? This isn't the 1950's. Melanie Amaro just won X-Factor and last year's winner on The Voice was African American so your baseless post was a waste of time for me to read.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-12, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
Different shows I think have different audiences so different voting biases.

People are always trying to say the voting habits of Idol voters is racist, or sexist or whatever.

IMO more has to do with how the shows are cast. They need a certain diversity, but they like their diversity in certain ways.

I suspect some of the "black flight" from Idol (after all 2 of the first 3 Idols were African American) has to do with how the show is cast. After all they only cast certain kinds of any people (any race) and they are going to pander to the largest demographic and what will bring in the ad revenue.

Certain types of people I think are much more likely to be power voters, and as it has been said before Idol is a voting competition, not a talent competition. You let people vote, they will vote for whatever reason. Now some people will vote based on their biases, and I think the average viewer is not had a lot of training on how to determine a great technical singer. So they vote on looks, who they lust after, personality, who gets the good lighting, etc. If they wanted a pure talent show they would have judges of the type that critique technical singing and performance skills. And, IMO, being able to pick out who will hit it big on a pop chart is not about finding the best technical singers.

Now I do agree that voting like crazy for someone does not in any way ensure they will buy CD's. Typically winners do better overall than 2nd, 3rd, or 10th place finishers. The everyone is so good they have to have some amazing career handed to them just for being on the show is the myth they like to sell, but who does well has to do with who works hard in a smart way, with a bit of who has a name/voice we remember months later. None of them will get the kind of representation that generates huge numbers and the show isn't making money from CD sales so they really don't care if a winner does well or not. It is only about what storyline will keep the ratings up enough they get the ad revenue where the big bucks come from.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-12, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
being able to pick out who will hit it big on a pop chart is not about finding the best technical singers.

I don't have musical training, but I love singers that sing with emotion. Jessica does not move me with her singing so I will never vote for her, buy her CD or even listen to a song of hers on the radio for more than 2 seconds.

My take on this is that America decided on mass to flush out the "immunity idol" the judges were holding. I wonder what this weeks results are going to be.

04-18-12, 07:28 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
Maybe they'll send the judges home!

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

04-19-12, 01:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
win-win!

04-19-12, 02:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Racism, stupidity and facetious voters"
LAST EDITED ON 04-19-12 AT 02:22 PM (EST)

It's the only interesting possiblity for this season! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN.....I don't care what they say, Jessica is overrated

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •