The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-26-11, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-11 AT 10:41 AM (EST)

Season 10 of American Idol has come and gone. Every year, I try and post a thread like this where we can list what was good, what was bad, what was ugly, wishes, rants, complaints, ideas for the future, and anything else. I'll go first.

Although I really liked the group of kids this season, looking back, perhaps for the first time, I'm getting a sense of disappointment with this season. I think this season started with some huge potential, but that it just wasn't grasped.

Audition Phase
One of my biggest wishes came true this season - LESS AUDITIONS AND MORE HOLLYWOOD. I thank Idol for that. I think we could have even less, but I may be wishing way too hard.

Hollywood Week
Every year I complain that there isn't enough of Hollywood week. I appreciated this, and I think again we could have even more. We got to see all of the finalists, which is another plus. The did focus on a few kids that we cut from the Top 24...but we understand, that makes drama. Hollywood week was very good this year.

The Top 13
Perhaps The.Best.Top.12/13.Ever. Great group of kids this year. Yeah, i would have had some alternate picks. Why Lauren Turner wasn't picked still baffles me. I wish Brett would have made it. I wish Thia wouldn't have been picked...but who am I?

Performances Phase
I applaud Idol for letting each contestant stick to his or her "style" pretty much all through the competition. This was initially promised by Nigel when he said the theme weeks were gone. Then we found out that was a lie. Carole King? Lieber & Stoller again? Elton again?

The Finale
Eh. The second year in a row where it was pretty much a disappointment. Tony Bennett? Tom Jones? Judas Priest? This is the best you can do?

The Judging
I really like the new panel, but their "judging" was a huge disappointment this year. Its as if they were told to "be nice" and not to be too harsh. Overall, what was the point of the judging? The three showed potential during auditions...then everything was lost when we had our top 13. Go figure.

My Wishlist For Idol 11 (pretty much the same as my Idol 10 list)
* Have the judges actually judge each performance. Not all performances are 'beautiful'.
* Keep Ryan.
* Two nights of auditions. Period.
* More Hollywood Drama
* Pick the most talented Top 24, not necessarily 12 guys and 12 girls. The top 24 contenders.
* Switch up the weeks taking the top 24 to the top 12 somehow. I don't know how, but we lose too many good people that way. Why should one girl and guy leave?? Again, who cares if we have 6 girls and 6 guys in the top 12????
* NO.MORE.THEME.WEEKS.EVER. Just let them pick the songs they want to sing.
* Can the judge's save.
* Pony up the dough to expand your library of songs.
* Pony up the dough to get decent, CONTEMPORARY bands to perform on finale night. You should be ashamed of this year's finale.

Have a great summer. See you in January!

geekboy

"##### fire and save matches, ##### a duck and see what hatches" - S. Tyler

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... grit 05-26-11 1
 wish list jbug 05-26-11 2
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... TWoman 05-26-11 3
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... byoffer 05-26-11 9
       LOL jbug 05-26-11 10
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Glow 05-26-11 4
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... emydi 05-26-11 5
       RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Glow 05-27-11 13
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... geekboy 05-26-11 6
       RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Glow 05-27-11 14
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... cahaya 05-26-11 7
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Max Headroom 05-26-11 8
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Belle Book 05-26-11 11
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... zazzy 05-26-11 12
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Corvis 05-27-11 15
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Estee 05-27-11 16
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... cahaya 05-27-11 17
       RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Estee 05-27-11 18
           RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... Snidget 05-28-11 19
   RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... geekboy 06-02-11 20
 RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back... amazinghotelonline12 07-15-11 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-26-11, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
I'm gonna add one thing to your wish list - the same thing I add to your wish list every year:

LIMIT THE NUMBER OF VOTES PER PHONE NUMBER!

another agman creation

And, once again, I know it will never happen.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-26-11, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "wish list"
Set up the scoring to something like DWTS.
Let the judges opinions actually count toward a score - IF they can be allowed to truly judge.

This might help get rid of the judges save.

Limit the number of votes via text & via phone & via website.

TWoman 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-26-11, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TWoman Click to send private message to TWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Add a show before the finale where all top 12 booted can perform one more time and one can be voted into the Finale. Have a 3-way finale.

And agree..Judges should, I don't know, perhaps "JUDGE".

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Redemption Idol?!

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "LOL"
*snort*

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
I didn't watch the auditions. I didn't watch Hollywood. The first time I tuned in was the reveal of the top 13. Stefano blew me away with his "I Need You Now". It stayed on my DVR for months before I needed the space. After that I just watched whenever I could. He never really impressed me again. I kept waiting to be blown away again BY ANYBODY and it never came. I liked Pia and I liked Scotty but I never got attached to any of them. I watched the final performance show and the finale this week. From what I was able to watch this year, I think Scotty was the right winner. He looked like a total pro every time I saw him.

We say every year that we want the best singers not an even distribution of boys and girls. They have to grow out of that.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
I thought of you glowie when I saw Mark last nite and on SNL last Sat!

05-27-11, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
HOW GOOD IS HE?!?! I am so happy for him.

05-26-11, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-11 AT 12:40 PM (EST)

Hi Glow -

Nice to see you. I admit to not frequenting this board as much this season...not sure why. I have to agree with you that I also didn't get "attached" to any one contestant this season like I usually do. I really really liked Casey, but even him - i got tired of the growl. My wife was attached to Scotty ever since his audition, and she had him pegged prior to me. I give her credit for that.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish they would ditch the 6 boys, 6 girls requirement....

The other thing I forgot to add to my list, and this is a BIG ONE for me.....

* PLEASE KEEP Jimmy Iovine as the constant mentor. I think he brought so much to this season with helping the kids pick and arrange the songs.

geekboy

"$#it fire and save matches, &^ck a duck and see what hatches" - S. Tyler

05-27-11, 12:14 PM (EST)
14. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
You know, I don't remember if I've posted here at all this season. I was so determined not to watch it. I didn't really want to block out the time to watch 3 hours of AI every week. (I keep waiting but there's never a Ryan Star on this show.) But everybody kept saying, "You have to watch. This is the best group of contestants ever." So I did when I could and it wasn't.

Go Scotty though because he's pretty good already.

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
I watched all of it -- auditions, Hollywood and every round.

Like:

* This years crop of contestants, with a nice mix in the top 12.
* The balance of auditions, Hollywood and F12 rounds. Would have liked to see more song time than backstory, though.
* One Judges Save, just in case. Keep it.
* Theme weeks, but make sure there's a large song list to choose from.
* Simon and Paula doing the other show.
* Good mix in the Final Results show with good pairings of artists and contestants who did not make the Final 2. I rather enjoyed it.

Did not like:

* Judging. It was almost non-existent, and where there was judging, inconsistent and often biased. The only consistency seemed to be the same words used week after week. I'd suggest giving them some voting or decision-making power for who goes on, but at this point I wouldn't trust their judgement.
* Blatant pimping, along with favoring some contestants with souped-up stage effects and/or elaborate arrangements.
* VOTING. A horrible system that does not reflect who viewers on average like the most. Rather, it's rigged to reward people who have nothing better to do than vote again and again and again and again... Allow only one vote per IP address or phone number. People can still sneak in some extra votes by voting in different ways, but we won't see 1,000 votes cast by a single deliriously motivated teeny-bopper -- or Mom. How many people actually cast those 120+ million votes?

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-11, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
This is the first season of AI in a while that I watched from beginning to end. Though I missed an occasional week here and there, and I skipped the finale as a protest against the finalists, overall I enjoyed this season a lot.

Still, the judges need to do some judging, not be a cheering section. While I like Steven Tyler, the guy is useless as a judge and he needs to be replaced with someone coherent. I'd also dump the mandatory 6/6 split of men and women in the final 12 and go with the 12 best singers-- it should be about talent, not gender. And I'm not a fan of the extensive filler in most episodes-- I refuse to watch AI live where I can't fast-forward through parts which don't interest me.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-26-11, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Here are my three pieces of advice for American Idol:

1. Judges, actually criticize the performances! Point out what the singers could improve on. Maybe Steven's incapable of doing so but Jennifer and Randy, you could do so.

2. Judges, don't play favorites! I hated it when you told Thia to not do so many ballads but didn't tell Pia not to do the same thing! Be fair!

3. I'd actually like a voting system like So You Think You Can Dance: allow the voting to decide the Bottom 3 in the early rounds but then have the singers "sing for their life" and then have the judges decide who would go home. Of course, that would've probably sent Haley home before she could prove she was a good singer but it would have rescued Pia.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-26-11, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Good thread to have, thanks for starting it GB!

Some quick thoughts:

--I want better sound. The sound guy/ people screwed up too often for such a veteran show.

--stop with the crazy camera work. James' song with JP last night had bad camera work half the time. Maybe the guy didn't like metal, but some on! Be professional.

I got what I wanted last year--a top 12/13 with talent and not fodder. We had a much improved top 13 this year and they made the finale more enjoyable with their ability to perform.

Next year: stop with the soul crushing song demands. Several of the contestants mentioned having been saddled with songs. And I agree with the poster that said that we didn't have any "moments" like previous years.

Corvis 3116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-27-11, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
"We had a much improved top 13 this year and they made the finale more enjoyable with their ability to perform."

You know, that's absolutely true, but at the same time, I didn't think any of them had a breakout moment the entire season and that's why I was bored for much of it. I kept waiting for someone to do something that made me say Wow. And there was one performance... but now I can't remember what it was. Every week, they were all consistently good, but no one was GREAT. There were no trainwreck singers in the Top 13, but no one wowed me.

Don't really know how to fix that, mind you, but your post allowed me to put into words what's been bugging me about this season. Thanks!

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-11, 06:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Without getting into show changes (because I would blow the thing up and start over. The explosions would not be small. Chairs would fly), I want to echo something that's come up a couple of times in the thread: we never got a breakout moment. I spent the entire season waiting for someone to pull the classic 'Here I am, America: now what are you going to do with me?' and nothing materialized. I felt we got close twice -- Haley at F3 and Scotty's rockabilly -- but it was climbing the hill, never cresting. The last time I thought an artist had really announced themselves was with Siobhan and Paint It Black. (And look what happened to her.) This season -- nothing. And I'm surprised to see other people also feeling that way -- but also worried. People can argue about this year's casting quality all they like (and I personally feel it was way down), but what does it say about the show's current standards when they can't give us one second of magic in over a hundred performances?

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-11, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
we never got a breakout moment.

True, but that depends on who's singing, not the show they're signing on, right?

Are you suggesting that maybe they screened out some talent as early as the selections for auditions or even Hollywood that could have provided these moments?

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-11, 07:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
Let's make it a combo platter: poor screening, bad song lists, horrible judging, indifferent mentoring, and just to make sure the list is complete, blazing pianos.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-11, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
It seemed like they did a lot to try to manufacture a moment, speaking of blazing pianos. I wonder if all the added lets try to make a wow diluted the ability of anyone to have a truly wow moment.

Most of the wows I think of from the past had something different about the performance (besides the vocals) but there was a simplicity to it and it stood out, rather than be just one more what will they set on fire this week.

In trying to do more X-factor look at the amazing staging (from what I've seen of British X-factor clips) and give more people more stuff every week I think it took away from that one simple amazing vocal. Didn't help that when people did a simpler presentation they didn't kill it.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out when we start seeing the music being released. Will any of their voices be enough to make a hit when you don't have the visuals that were added to the show to carry the performance. Sure Cee Lo and Gaga do something visually memorable in their performances, but they also have good enough songs and vocals to sell a lot of records/downloads and get radio play.

Although it does also depend on getting songs with a good hook and all that. I'm not sure anyone could make a big hit out of some of the dreck that gets thrown the way of most Idol contestants.

06-02-11, 03:06 PM (EST)
20. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
I agree with Estee - there wasn't a single "WOW" moment. Shockingly, the most memorable moment for me was Jacob in Hollywood singing "God Bless The Child"...and after that I didn't like a thing he did. Also, Casey in Hollywood doing "Georgia...".

I think part of the problem - and I've said this for years - is that they force the contestants into these damn theme weeks. If they could simply week-by-week pick whatever they want, I think the show would be more enjoyable and you would ahve many more WOW moments. How much of a WOW can you get on Carole King week, or yet-another-Motown-Week?

geekboy

"$#it fire and save matches, &^ck a duck and see what hatches" - S. Tyler

amazinghotelonline12 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

07-15-11, 07:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail amazinghotelonline12 Click to send private message to amazinghotelonline12 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: American Idol 10 - Looking Back, and Looking Forward"
nice looking back and lookin forward

<a href="http://www.amazinghotelsonline.com/";>AmazingHotelsOnline</a>, <a href="http://www.amazinghotelsonline.com/";>compare hotel price</a>, <a href="http://www.amazinghotelsonline.com/";>accommodation reservations</a>

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •