The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-04-11, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Good evening -

Hey, I actually liked the theme this week. Go figure.

Lets make this quick...I'm tired and heading to bed.

Disclaimer - the wife and I fast forwarded through Jacob...I'll watch his vids on the net tomorrow.

1 - Haley - I'm shocked and surprised. She has really picked it up. I disagree with the judges on the Gaga song. I think it was a great suggestions by Jimmy. Haley sang it very well, and it DID suit her voice and style. I was worred about HOTRS, but to quote Dawg, she SLAYED it.

2 - James - The most consistant singer of the season. He did very well tonight. I thought he was pitchy on both songs, actually, which slipped him to #2. Great song choices, though.

3 - Scotty - Another very consistant singer, but I thought he was off on "Always On My Mind"...or the audio mix was terrible. I couldn't really tell, but it wasn't the usual Scotty vocal perfection. Song #1 was great though.

4 - Lauren - Although she did pick it up tonight, she is not on par with the other three at this point. By default, she's at #4.

5 - Jacob - No commentary, didn't watch him, had no desire. I did listen to the song choices, and as usual - crappy song choices for Jacob.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now cahaya 05-04-11 1
   RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now csnumber23 05-04-11 3
       RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now cahaya 05-05-11 4
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now csnumber23 05-04-11 2
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now KeithFan 05-05-11 5
   *sits with KeithFan* grit 05-05-11 8
       RE: *sits with KeithFan* KeithFan 05-05-11 11
           RE: *sits with KeithFan* Tummy 05-05-11 13
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now Corvis 05-05-11 6
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now Tummy 05-05-11 7
   RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now dragonflies 05-05-11 9
   RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now mindy23 05-05-11 10
       RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now Tummy 05-05-11 12
 RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now Belle Book 05-05-11 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-04-11, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
1. James
Now - The penultimate stage performer, James owns it. While I didn't really care that much for the vocals with its limited range and high volume (with oft not understandable lyrics) in this song, I smiled as I watched him simply have fun and perform as if in a concert. But through no fault of James, it sounded like the sound board controls were a little wonky. Thumbs up. Nobody else is going to match that energy level.
Then - Deeply touching, genuine and brilliant. That's all.

2. Haley
Now - I didn't know the lyrics to this song, and I hardly understood the lyrics during the song, and I have no clue what the song was about after the song. That kind of describes Haley. Sounds like she was trying to coast through this one, hoping no one would notice how she can't sing intelligible lyrics with an unknown song.
Then - This classic song knows no pretenders, and while Haley made a go of it, it'll be forgotten with the other pretender performances. I thought she made a decent start of it, with just the voice and then slowly bringing in the instrumentals while staying in the same groove. But about halfway through, the real Haley shows up with the yodels and moos in an attempt to jazz it up.

3. Lauren
Now - Surprisingly, one of the best performances by Lauren to date. Some of James must be rubbing off on her, as energetic as she was. Vocally good and fairly entertaining. Thumbs up.
Then - My first thought on hearing this performance is that it was something I'd hear at a wedding reception dance. Ok performance by Lauren, who is showing some versatility and vocal quality, likely cementing her place in the top three.

4. Scotty
Now - Who put the Kool-Aid in the judges cups? It's a "Scotty tries to be James" performance and it didn't work for me at all. Sure, he did the whole rocker stage thing and got the audience riled up, but I know Scotty would never put on a song like this when he records in the future. Pop popped.
Then - Hmmm... the whole second half of the show has gone into slow mode with all those "tender moments" and "beautiful voices". Good performance by Scotty, showing yet another side to him, but I can't imagine that he'd record very many of these types of songs. I'll give him a pass here, although I didn't find this performance to be a memorable one.

5. Jacob
Now - While Jacob makes a passable attempt with this performance, somehow he and this song don't seem to mix. We hear less of his past vocal brilliance and more of his attempt to fit into a song that's meant for a different type of performer. At least wardrobe toned down the color -- maybe too much this week. He looks and sounds monochromatic.
Then - Perfect arrangement. Heavenly harp, brass trumpets and horns to the side, chorus to the other side, and Jacob floating on stage, registering notes clear up to cloud nine. This is where Jacob belongs. But you won't find his CD on my shelf.

Agman's Muse

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

csnumber23 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-11, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail csnumber23 Click to send private message to csnumber23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Cahaya, I'm confused as to why you have Haley ranked 2nd if she yodels and moos to you??

We obviously have a difference of opinion here. She is exactly the type of female vocalist I enjoy with I raspy voice like Stevie Nicks. I don't see her yodeling and mooing but that's just my opinion. By the way, to me she is sexy as hell!!

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-11, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Well, I'm exaggerating a bit. Having said that, her attempts at showing off vocal gymnastics made themselves clear in the second half of the House of the Rising Sun song. No doubt she's good at it and I think sometimes these escape the notice of the listener, but I've seen her experiment with this since early in the season to the point where she is now. A lot of people were wow'ed by her HotRS song based on what I read on some other sites (some said best performance all season for anyone), but I've heard and seen better. If Haley stuck with what she was doing the first third or half of the song without straying into trying to do triple axles with her voice, I might have given her more props for that performance.

I still don't view Haley as Idol F5 material, but I think she did a just slightly better job this week than Lauren and even Scotty (who I do think is F5 material) that she deserves her place in my rankings. Lauren was underwhelming with her second song (the first was pretty good though) and Scotty was straying too far from his strengths to the point I almost didn't recognize him.

csnumber23 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-11, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail csnumber23 Click to send private message to csnumber23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
#1 - Haley - I had no clue what the first song was and I still liked it. It could have been her own single to me. The 2nd song was unbelievable to me, maybe the best song of the year by any of them.

#2 - James - Not his best but still very good and again he showed how much versatility he has. I think the finale will be him and Scotty although at this point I think it should be James and Haley.

#3 - Lauren - This was a toss up for 3rd between her and Scotty. I enjoyed both songs even though neither was outstanding. You can see she is going for it. I like the contrast between the two songs.

#4 - Scotty - I thought he was better the first song as compared to the 2nd. Neither was bad just not as good as the others in front. He will certainly have a productive career as Country vocalist.

#5 - Jacob - I didn't think either song was great. Not horrible but well below the others. He should have gone home last week over Casey in my opinion. He will have a career in the soul genre but should be gone this week.

Overall - I think the bottom two will be Jacob and Lauren if they go by vote totals and Jacob going home.

KeithFan 7414 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-11, 02:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
1. Haley. I think at this point in the season she is the only one I'd be happy to see win. Consistently solid performer. I disagreed with the judges on both songs... I liked the Now better than they did and wasn't as enthralled with her Then.

2. Lauren. I think she did a good job on both songs but until she can be comfortable on stage with who she is she will never be an idol. She always looks like the chubby girl with a negative self image that stands in back on group photos to hide her few extra pounds. Seems nice but needs self confidence.

3. Scotty. Realistically probably has the best chance at making coin when this is all over. Has grown a lot since the season started. I liked both songs but didn't love them, and could never vote for Alfred E Newman as American Idol.

4. James. The guy has a strong voice, incredible range, but he just cant hit the notes. He was all over the board tonight, and I think any other season he would have gotten called to the cleaners on it. I just don't buy him as a rocker, especially a hard rock or metal singer. I think he believes he is, and I think AI wants to move him there, but that doesn't make him anything more than pop-metal... kind of like thinking he's Iron Maiden when he is really Cinderella. The Avril Lavinge Poser Rocker award goes to... James.

5. Jacob. Ugh. Worst song of the season in his butchering of "Love Hurts". The last time I felt as physically wounded by a AI performance was when Carly Smithson sang "Jesus Christ Superstar" for interpretation, but at least she didn't do permanent auditory damage like Jacob.

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-05-11, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "*sits with KeithFan*"
I think I'm just going to say "ditto" to everything KeithFan said. I agree with his rankings and all his comments.

My husband and I kept switching to AI during the commercials for Survivor. Each of James' performances was really pitchy but I didn't get to see the judges' comments. I'm guessing they didn't call him out on it. He's a very energetic performer but I don't think he has a great vocal range and he's frequently out of tune. The guy is getting a major pass from the judges.

KeithFan 7414 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-11, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: *sits with KeithFan*"
Yep, he is getting a huge pass from the judges. Per usual they mentioned it and quickly brushed it aside as "...but great performance far made up for it".

I miss Simon. He would have said something like "You seem to be a nice guy but you need vocal lessons. Come back and see us when you can actually sing"

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-05-11, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: *sits with KeithFan*"
I wish Simon was blogging about this season of AI. I think he'd be shredding them all.

I also wouldn't mind hearing his thoughts on The Voice.

Floating my cares away with Agman - 2011

Corvis 3116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-05-11, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
I agree with geekboy this week!

1 - Haley - I thought the first song was okay, but her second song was absolutely amazing. It was (I think) the first time this season that I rewound a performance and watched it again. She had a moment last night that I hope will carry her to the finals. She was on a whole different level than everyone else last night.

2 - James - Consistently good performer. Can rock it out and can do the emotional slow song too. We always believe James - he's never fake.

3 - Scotty - First song was great; second song was just okay. Still good. Still country. I don't really like country.

4 - Lauren - Not bad. But I don't think she's as far along in her development in terms of voice control and stage presence as the other three.

5 - Jacob - I can't believe he outlasted Casey. I fastforwarded through most of his performances.

05-05-11, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
1. James - a complete performer. His voice isn't the best but I'd pay for a concert ticket.

2. Scotty - I saw Garth Brooks in a little bar in Stillwater before he was GARTH BROOKS. Scotty reminded me of him tonight. He's got Crazy Garth eyes sometimes.

3. Haley - I loved the second song.

4. Lauren - I like her but she runs out of breath at the end and that bothers me.

5. Jacob - .

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-11, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
I agree with Tummy.

I also saw Garth Brooks, and while I am not a country fan, it was in my top 5 concerts ever, and I've been to a lot of concerts.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-05-11, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Wow, do not get all the Haley love. But she just gets under my skin in a really bad way, like acne. I feel all that's missing with her is a stripper pole...Oh well!

1) Scotty-as usual, blew it all out of the water. With BOTH performances. Yep, #1 was a bit over the top for a young country boy, but he stretched, and stretched just fine, IMHO.

2) James. Not his best ever performances. But still better than the rest at this point.

3) Lauren: good choices, good vocals. Not much else to say. Consistant.

4) Haley, only because I do not and have never liked the last person standing. She grunts, she growls, she needs ex-lax and a stripper pole.

5) Jacob. Why is he still here????

05-05-11, 11:33 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
I don't get that vibe from her at all, I get laid back, stoner, bohemian chick vibes from her. But regardless, some of the best people I know have hung from a stripper pole a time or two.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-11, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings - Top - Then & Now"
Here are my rankings of each song:

1. James Durbin, "Without You" -- the emotional content he put in his performance put it over the top for me.

2. Haley Reinhart -- "The House of the Rising Sun" -- this had a better vocal, but I preferred another song.

3. Lauren Alaina, "Flat on the Floor" -- she was smart enough to choose a lesser-known Carrie song, and it worked!

4. Scotty McCreery, "Gone" -- for once Scotty stepped way out of his comfort zone!

5. Lauren, "Unchained Melody" -- she did quite well but the arrangement was bad.

6. James, "Closer to the Edge" -- not my cup of tea, but it showed what kind of artist he would be.

7. Haley, "You And I" -- liked it but it was a little boring.

8. Scotty, "Always on My Mind" -- very pretty but a little boring compared to the others.

9. Jacob Lusk, "Love Hurts" -- better than the last song, but not as good as the others.

10. Jacob, "No Air" -- this is a duet, it's well-known and a former American Idol sang it. Jacob just isn't as good.

Overall rankings:

1. James -- he's the best so far.
2. Haley -- what a comeback for her!
3. Lauren -- she really picked up the pace.
4. Scotty -- he did better but his second song dropped him in my personal rankings.

Big gap --

5. Jacob -- bye-bye.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •