The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-01-10, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
So another season of American Idol is in the can. Every year I try and post a thread where we can list what was good, what was bad, what was ugly, wishes and ideas for the future, and anything else. I'll start things off.

Overall, I think AI 9 started off great, ended pretty good, but what happened in the middle wasn't all that hot. Let me break it down this way.

Audition Phase
I always want less audition episodes. I find it the most boring part of the show. I think we got one week less this year. I want even less. Ideally I would like two nights of auditions where all the top 24 are shown, and then on to Hollywood.

Hollywood Week
Every year I also complain that there isn't enough of Hollywood week. I want to see the drama, the fights, the tears, the breakdowns, the successes, etc. We did get a little more this week, but I think it could have been edited a lot better. Less of Big Mike's story, and more of the top contenders.

The Top 24
I think we had great potential this season with teh Top 24. It was a quirky, mixed bag of styles - some which we've never seen on Idol. Unfortunately, a lot of the contestants in which I and others saw great potential were voted out early. Alex Lambert, Lily Allen, Jose Munoz, Katelyn Epperly. They didn't make the top 24 but Tim Urban did, along with Paige, Lacey, and others. Bizarre.

The Top 12
Going from the top 12 down to the top 2 was overall disappointing when you look back at other years. It was obvious that Crystal would make it - she was the only real standout in terms of raw talent and consistency. What I thikn was the most disappointing this season was the judging, and we'll get to that later, but I tihnk it affected voting immensely this season. Case in point - why was Casey in the final three, but Siobhan was voted out three weeks earlier? Siobhan demonstrated uniqueness and variety. Casey is a killer guitarist, but Siobhan out sang him week after week.

The Judging
I think for me the biggest disappointment was the judging this year. It was obvious Simon was rolling on fumes. Kara was more full of herself then ever. Randy seemed to be taking Paula's drugs, and Ellen was the only one who really made sense this season. Ellen is America on the judging panel and I think she deserves to stay there. I think they should can Kara and Randy and bring in two new judges to sit with Ellen. I honestly believe the judges completely messed with the contestants minds this season by giving them completely inconsistant critiques week after week. One week they say they sang a song Karaoke'ish and they had to put their own spin on it, and the next week when they do that they say 'But you shouldn't change up that song at all. Just sing it.' That would drive me insane, and it happened week after week. One week they praise Siobhan's scream, and the next they say she overdid it. I believe the judges confused the contestants along with America this season.

My Wishlist For Idol 10
* Fire Randy & Kara, bring in two new judges with Ellen
* Keep Ryan.
* Two nights of auditions. Period.
* More Hollywood Drama
* Pick the most talented Top 24, not necessarily 12 guys and 12 girls. The top 24 contenders.
* Switch up the weeks taking the top 24 to the top 12 somehow. I don't know how, but we lose too many good people that way. Why should one girl and guy leave?? Again, who cares if we have 6 girls and 6 guys in the top 12????
* NO.MORE.THEME.WEEKS.EVER. Just let them pick the songs they want to sing.
* Can the judge's save.
* Pony up the dough to expand your library of songs.
* Pony up the dough to get decent, CONTEMPORARY bands to perform on finale night. You should be ashamed of this year's finale.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... zazzy 06-01-10 1
 RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... DoodleBug 06-02-10 2
   RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... vince3 06-02-10 3
   RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... geekboy 06-02-10 4
       RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... DoodleBug 06-10-10 9
 RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... kingfish 06-03-10 5
   RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... geekboy 06-03-10 6
       RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... kingfish 06-03-10 7
 RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forwar... Belle Book 06-03-10 8
 THE SOPRANOS is a nice show,I l... shirleylike 08-08-10 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-01-10, 09:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Nice list. I'm catching up on Idolatry segments before commenting. They are a nice refresher on the season.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-02-10, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
I didn't post much this season here because I was under-whelmed by the whole mess. However, I do feel compelled to post my feelings on the season as a whole.

1. 4 nights of auditions should be plenty. If they go to 8 places, for instance, then showcase 2 per night. Done.
2. Show me ALL top 24 in Hollywood - more than once - and not during a group number.
3. I agree that there shouldn't have to be an even split male/female. Pick the best talent.
4. a free for all would be scary as far as choosing their song. That's what the top 24 shows are like. They need some direction - but make it broad.
5. I agree on keeping Ellen and firing the rest. I think Jamie Foxx would be a good judge. Not sure who the third would be. No more than THREE judges!!

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-10, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Well, there is a possibility that Bret Michaels could be Simon's replacement...;)

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bret-michaels-fox-asked-me-possibly-be-an-american-idol-judge-11058.php

06-02-10, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
>4. a free for all would
>be scary as far as
>choosing their song. That's
>what the top 24 shows
>are like. They need
>some direction - but make
>it broad.

I have to disagree with this. Again, I go back to the contradictory comments the judges have been making the last couple years. They always say something like "We want to see who you are as an artist." and then they give them "Disco Night" or "Big Band Night". How the hell does a country artist, or a rock star, or an R&B singer show "who they are as an artist" while being forced to sing "Shake Your Groove Thang" or "Moon River"?????

Is it any wonder that the early rounds in the past w/ the Top 24 picking whatever they wanted were my favorite nights?? Just go to YouTube and search for Nadia Turner doing "Power Of Love". THAT shows you who she wanted to be as an artist. One of my all-time favorite performances on Idol.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-10, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
I guess if they allowed them to sing more songs, it wouldn't be much of an issue. Apparently (rumor), they are very limited to what they can sing. And I think you made this point also - fork out the cash so they can sing more songs.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-10, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Agree with you about Ellen. In fact, I think that the local audition judging panels should be no-name industry insiders experienced in promoting young talents, and the show judges should be reserved for Hollywood. Agents, studio musicians, and all would be prohibited from approaching the contestants with contracts till after AI is over for that year to avoid shenanigans.

But the biggest problem I see are the voting blocs that are out to cause mischief, or affect the voting based on something other than talent. I wish something could be done about public voting blocs that have agendas. I think that a large panel (say, 100 or so?) of unnamed people selected randomly from the public that pass a vetting process and seem to be willing to vote based on their judgment of the contestants talent might create a more balanced outcome that either a public voting scheme (as at present) or allowing a small panel of 3 or 4 judges to determine the outcome.

06-03-10, 09:18 AM (EST)
6. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
I agree and disagree with you on the voting issue. I think you have to keep it open to everyone otherwise you can no longer say that "America picks the winner". Everyone has an opinion, and therefore everyone has their own agenda.

With that being said, I would not be opposed to Idol limiting every phone number to one single vote only. This has been done by other shows, so we know Idol could do it. It may mean not allowing text votes, but who cares. I think one vote per phone number would be a very good thing.

geekboy

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-10, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Although huge, the voting pool size is still limited, and a smaller pool could still be "America". If a smaller pool were picked at random from the public (random telephone based selection? Or like the Arbitron pool selection process?) so that mischievous groups could be filtered out, it would still be "America Voting". Just not "All" of America, which it isn't anyway.

I think the single biggest negative that affects AI is the influence of the groups whose goal is to skewer the overall results, like VFTW, hometown voting blocks, and others. And I think that the biggest improvement AI could do would be to show that they are working on solutions to this problem.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-03-10, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: AI 9 - Looking Back, and Forward"
Here's my wish list:

I don't mind many audition episodes -- but I want fewer bad auditions and more good ones -- kind of like So You Think You Can Dance does.

Agreed with you on Hollywood week -- more of it should be shown and not only that, I think you should feature the people in the Top 24 who weren't featured in the auditions.

Something from Dancing with the Stars: twelve votes per singer in the Top 24 (guys and girls) and Top 12, and fewer votes every week until you get to 5, whereupon you get 5 votes per singer in the Final 4, Final 3 and in the finals.

shirleylike 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-08-10, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shirleylike Click to send private message to shirleylike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "THE SOPRANOS is a nice show,I love it."
The packaging for http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-sopranos-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-189.html>The Sopranos is a thing of beauty, and you can tell how much this sets means to HBO by the way they packaged it. The set comes in a nice sturdy box covered in black fabric, with a faint silk-screen of http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-sopranos-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-189.html>The Sopranos logo on the front. Removing the lid exposes the red inside of the box, and the black cloth cover which holds the book containing the DVDs. There's a ribbon to help remove the book from the case, which will be familiar to anyone who bought one of the season sets, as the ribbon could be found in those as well. I had a bit of a hard time removing the book the first time because HBO has packed the set very well, including little pieces of foam to keep the set from moving around at all. I was impressed by this, as it shows how much thought went into the set, and into keeping it pristine until it's delivered to the customer. http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-sopranos-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-189.html>The Sopranosslides out of the cloth bag, and is covered by the same fabric used for the box; a red logo appears on the front. The book is made out of extremely thick cardboard, and the pages contain a photo on the left, a list of the disc contents on the right, and then the two pages following contain the discs. Being slightly anal-retentive, I liked that the discs were placed into the cardboard sleeves with the labels facing the right way; it must have been done by hand, as I can't see a machine aligning things perfectly like that. The discs slip into little recessed pouches in the large cardboard pages, and unfortunately they make contact with the cardboard. The good news is that I only had scratches on 4 of the discs, and they were all extremely small, and may be caused by something other than the packaging. It's still something to note though; I really don't like packaging that makes contact with the discs. There's only one down-side to the package: it's a bit too large to fit on a standard DVD shelf."
http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-hills-seasons-15-dvd-boxset-p-483.html>The Hills DVD 1-5
http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-sopranos-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-189.html>The Sopranos DVD 1-6
http://www.stardvdcity.com/monk-seasons-18-dvd-boxset-p-299.html>Monk DVD 1-8
http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-tribe-season-15-dvd-boxset-p-325.html>The Tribe DVD 1-5
http://www.stardvdcity.com/true-blood-seasons-12-dvd-boxset-p-197.html>True Blood DVD 1-2
http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-office-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-452.html>The Office DVD 1-6
http://www.stardvdcity.com/entourage-seasons-16-dvd-boxset-p-386.html>Entourage DVD 1-6
http://www.stardvdcity.com/the-simpsons-seasons-121-dvd-boxset-p-459.html>The Simpsons DVD 1-21
http://www.stardvdcity.com/queer-as-folk-seasons-15-dvd-boxset-p-330.html>Queer as Folks DVD 1-5

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •