The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The mainstream media starts to pick up on the stench..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-05-10, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The mainstream media starts to pick up on the stench..."
After this week somehow tipped the stink over to the 'newsworthy' side of the ledger, CNN decided to run an article about just how many people had been gassed out of their living rooms. Because it's timely. And relevant. And as always, there is absolutely nothing else happening on the entire planet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/03/04/american.idol.season.nine/index.html?hpt=C1

Any time you're using VFTW as a source, you're -- okay, let's be fair: you're pretty much turning to the experts, but you're also setting yourself up for a biased view accompanied by major tweaks of whoever was dumb enough to listen. 'Paula is a genius! She was the real talent behind everything! Lemonade?'

But coming on the heels of what could normally be accused as Death To Non-Caucasians Week and really just worked out to another serving of We're Still Plunging Out The Toilet: Please Stand By, the article gets to benefit from timing. 'See? We knew this svcked all along. We were just waiting for everyone else to figure it out.' As along as 'everyone else' doesn't include anyone who watches the show and can think for themselves, yes...

In the end, this may only be notable because the rest of the audience may be catching up to us: no, they're not out of singers, but they've tapped the well to the stone bottom on sob stories, casting purely for background cells may not be working as well as originally hoped -- and the viewership may finally be on the verge of that long-forecast mass revolt. But it doesn't mean anything unless the producers feel something's wrong. And if we get both Simon and Randy departing next season, they may decide that barring judge interaction, the sob stories will have to carry the day -- along with every single episode.

It could be worse, I guess.

It could be an All-Star (no winners, no final fours) season.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The mainstream media starts to ... zazzy 03-05-10 1
   RE: The mainstream media starts to ... KoalaChick 03-07-10 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-05-10, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The mainstream media starts to pick up on the stench..."
"no, they're not out of singers, but they've tapped the well to the stone bottom on sob stories, casting purely for background cells may not be working as well as originally hoped -- and the viewership may finally be on the verge of that long-forecast mass revolt. But it doesn't mean anything unless the producers feel something's wrong. And if we get both Simon and Randy departing next season, they may decide that barring judge interaction, the sob stories will have to carry the day -- along with every single episode."

Good observation--and it reminds me of a discussion I've had about the Olympics. They have been using the in depth story/sob story approach for years and I think it's been wearing thin in these days of internet real time results.

Then again, the X Factor will be all about getting America hooked on backing certain people and that will be because of their story? I skip most of the beginning of AI so I try to stay away from the back stories. But they keep using them as filler in the semifinals, blech!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

KoalaChick 506 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-07-10, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KoalaChick Click to send private message to KoalaChick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The mainstream media starts to pick up on the stench..."
I think it's still too early to pick the standout singers of this season. They're still finding their stage presence and developing their professional image. Remember, it was about halfway through the season when Kelly Clarkson or David Cook really emerged.

But how they emerged was due to the coaching and criticism of the judges. That's the missing piece this year. Randy has never been a major force in judging, he simply says "it didn't work for me" or "you blew it out the box" or some such mumble. Simon is brutally honest and has good criticism, and I think Kara does, as well. Ellen? What a mistake. She simply rehashes her same phrases without any working knowledge of music or the industry.

The problem is that Simon has short-timers disease and really doesn't seem invested. Ellen and Randy are useless, Kara seems to be the only one with any sense of how to help these kids. All of them are giving confusing advice...do I make the song my own or do I stay true to the melody? One week the advise is to change it up and add your style, then when they do, it's back to "don't mess with the song so much". No wonder these kids seem like they're floating adrift. They're rookies...help them.

Adding Ellen is what's turning me off. I think I'm about the millionth member of the I Like Ellen, But Not On This Show club. Big mistake, hard to take the show seriously now.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •