The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ever wonder how bad the AI contestant contracts were?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-31-09, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ever wonder how bad the AI contestant contracts were?"
Ju'Not would like you to believe they're worse than you've previously imagined.

http://idol-thoughts.com/talent//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=275&Itemid=125

Yes, I know it's hard to back most of this up. But given that we're dealing with FOX, I could very easily take him at his word on the contract-based issues. All things considered, it's a wonder they haven't tried to lock anyone in the house basement between rehearsals.

That we know of.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI cont... Snidget 07-31-09 1
 RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI cont... zazzy 08-03-09 2
   RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI cont... Agman2 03-25-15 6
 Some of this we know AyaK 08-05-09 3
   RE: Some of this we know Estee 08-05-09 4
 I haven't listened to it yet Snidget 08-06-09 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-09, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI contestant contracts were?"
Phil Stacey Blogged about Ju'not's chatscript

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=35417510&blogId=503123062

I'm sure the contract is unfair, but then every contract any person starting out in the music industry sounds like they are all extremely unfair (remembers the interview with I think it was TLC about how you can sell a bazillion albums and still be completely broke).

Those contracts are all about the industry making the vast majority of the money and unfortunately without the machine it is pretty hard to break into the ranks of the artists that actually can make some big money.

Of course Phil has an album coming out so probably doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-03-09, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI contestant contracts were?"
I think his delivery was poor but the content seemed credible.

If the content weren't true, wouldn't AI be issuing some sort of balderdash statement? Too bad the big corporate entity has to stoop to stuff like that.

Agman2 1008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-25-15, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ever wonder how bad the AI contestant contracts were?"
I couldn't agree more looking back at things

AyaK 10340 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-09, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Some of this we know"
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-09 AT 00:43 AM (EST)

Ju'Not was canned because he sucked. If he had any talent as a songwriter, he wouldn't be releasing a cover as his first single, either.

That said, what is the controversy here? We've known about the problems with the Idol contracts since season 2. Basically, the producers get an option on you that lasts until three months after the show is over. If they choose to sign you, they can get both recording and publication rights.

Through season 3, there was a standard Idol contract. But Clay Aiken hired a lawyer who got him released from his contract, and then Kelly Clarkson used the same lawyer to get released from her contract. The grounds for release was that the contract was "take-it-or-leave-it". So then Idol's lawyers came up with the idea of having the semi-finalists as a group hire a lawyer and negotiate a joint contract -- in other words, modified collective bargaining.

Is the contract onerous? Yes. The producers insist on the three-month exclusivity period so that (a) they can mount the Idol tour, and (b) you can't be part of a competing tour. So is it a net negative to be on Idol? Of course not. No one would even listen to Ju'Not's insipid bleating if he hadn't been on Idol.

Not everyone the producers have signed has made it. We look at Kelly, Clay, Carrie, Bo, Kellie, Daughtry ... but we ignore such flops as Tamyra, Justin, Blake and Taylor at our peril. There is no question that 19 Management lost money on each of the flops. No matter what Ju'not thinks, the management contracts are not a license to print money, even though they are one-sided. After all, when did you last hear of katherine McPhee? How about David Cook?

And then there are the people who made it despite not being signed by the producers, including Jennifer Hudson and Elliott Yamin. And sometimes it's hard to tell. Look at Diana DeGarmo, who is still only 22 and is working with the legendary producer John Rich. The producers signed her but released her, although her debut album was actually quite good.

But, see, the music business is still very political -- more so now than ever, since playlists have shrunk so much. It may be hard for Ju'Not to believe, but you'll never make it just on talent.

Estee 57058 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-09, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Some of this we know"
We've known about the problems with the Idol contracts since season 2.

Yeah, but I just got here and I haven't read the archives. I only started semi-seriously following the thing a couple of seasons ago, so the details were new to me.

Music? Political? Perish the thought. Politics should be saved for where it belongs: cable network news.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-06-09, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "I haven't listened to it yet"
But Ju'not was on VFTW internet radio show

http://www.votefortheworst.com/radio/20090805/vftw_radio_8_5_09_special_guest_junot_joyner

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •