The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-22-08, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-08 AT 11:28 AM (EST)

This is a fun thread to do each year after the show closes.

What did you like this year? What did you hate? And most importantly, if you were a Fox exec, what would you CHANGE for AI 8?

The Good
* Most importantly, they brought back the backstories and we got to know these contestants this season.
* Amazing stories and personalities for the top 12.
* The songs. Yes, there were repeats and songs that should be banned, but overall the contestants picked good songs this year even considering some of the themes.
* The singing. The talent was head and shoulders better than season 6. Very few trainwrecks this season compared to the past.
* Paula was as entertaining as ever. She needs to stay.
* "Hello", "Billie Jean", "Always Be My Baby", "Hallelujah", "Over The Rainbow", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Spinning Wheel", "It's All Wrong, But Its Allright"

The Bad
* HOUR.LONG.RESULTS.SHOW.FROM.HELL. Fox has already said this will go back to 30 minutes. Thank you.
* Phone-In Q&A. Make it stop.
* Randy Jackson. What more can I say. Dreadful season for you as a judge. You used to make sense. You made Paula look good this season.
* Josiah Lemming not making the top 24.
* Alexandrea not making the top 12.
* The boxing-theme of the finale. Uber-cheesy and unnecessary.
* George Michael looked like a corpse-pilot
* Mentors. Not great this year.
* The second Beatles week was a huge mistake.

What Would I Change For AI 8
* No themes for the top 24/20/16. Let them pick the songs again. I hated the theme week for those weeks.
* Mentors. I think this should be completely cut.
* Themes. Make them current and broad. Themes have been too 'old' for the past couple of years.
* Crazy idea. Have a couple of theme-free weeks where the contestants can pick anything. I know, i'm crazy.
* AI is the #1 show. Charge more for advertising, cut the advertising minutes, and give the kids more than 90 seconds to sing a song.
* Drastically cut back on the audition shows. DRASTICALLY. I could go without ANY audition shows, and more Hollywood, and possibly even more than 24 finalists. Another crazy thought.
* SHOW AUDITIONS FOR ALL OF THE TOP 24 CONTESTANTS.
* SHOW ALL OF THE TOP 24 PERFORMING IN HOLLYWOOD.
* I would like to see more of what goes on during the week with song selection, arrangements, practice, etc.
* I would raise the minimum age to 18, and raise the maximum age to 30. I think 16/17 is too young for all the stress and time away from home.

geekboy

"I love puppies!" - S. Cowell

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... JessicaRN 05-22-08 1
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Glow 05-22-08 2
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... mindy23 05-22-08 3
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... geekboy 05-22-08 4
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... emydi 05-22-08 5
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... DoodleBug 05-22-08 6
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... jbug 05-22-08 7
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... realitytvwatcher 05-22-08 9
       RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Glow 05-22-08 10
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... nailbone 05-22-08 8
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... geekboy 05-22-08 11
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Iconoclastic 05-22-08 12
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... nailbone 05-22-08 15
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... bullzeye 05-22-08 13
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... JessicaRN 05-22-08 14
       RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... SenecaTurtle 06-02-08 20
           RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... agman 06-02-08 22
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... moonbaby 05-22-08 16
   RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Glow 01-09-09 23
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... susang 05-23-08 17
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Snidget 05-23-08 18
 Theme Nights: Season 8 susang 05-30-08 19
   RE: Theme Nights: Season 8 geekboy 06-02-08 21
 RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You... Ahtumbreez 01-14-09 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-22-08, 10:13 AM (EST)
1. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Those are all great suggestions and I agree with pretty much all of them. I get really tired of the banter that goes between Ryan and Simon. It has gotten really mean and awkward, mostly on Ryan's part.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-22-08, 11:01 AM (EST)
2. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I pretty much agree with everything you've listed. My "Good" would have started and ended at Michael Johns, but I'll ditto your list. Minus ABMB and I can't for the life of me remember "Spinning Wheel".
To the "Bad" I'd add Josiah not making the final 24.
I absolutely 100% agree with your last five bullet points on the things they should change. They waste so much time on people we'll never see again. That farmer guy? Loved him. Gone. Josiah. Loved him. Gone (but not forgotten). The young republican kid? So endearing. Gone. I'd rather see more of the ones that we're supposed to vote for later.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-22-08, 11:17 AM (EST)
3. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Agree with most of it, but I do think the mentors should continue. It's more of a treat for the singers who have made it to a certain point to be able to personally meet them and get some tips from them, then it is for us.

Other than that, yeah. And, one more thing: No more of anyone/anything close to what we saw in Amanda! If they are a one note who screams and barely pronounces his/her words, cut them before we even have to see them!

Why not just go with the top 36 or so, or even cut it to the top 24 and let us get to know THEM, like the previous posters said. I guess they want to give the 5 minutes of fame to someone who isn't going to be on the show, so they can hopefully start somewhere else. I've seen Josiah on Ellen, and that was the end of that. He won all kinds of gear-what's he suppossed to do with that? Set it up in his car??

Anyway, agree with most of what you said, except the mentoring.

05-22-08, 11:23 AM (EST)
4. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-08 AT 11:27 AM (EST)

DANG!!! How did i forget Josiah?

Thanks for adding him. One of the disappointments. I just read somewhere that he got a recording contract.

Alexandrea sang "Spinning Wheel" in either the top 24 or top 20. She was great, and cut way too early.

geekboy

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 01:41 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-08 AT 01:44 PM (EST)

Bad

PLANTS-if you've signed before with Randy Jackson's label you
shouldn't be on the show....DC was the only non plant in the top 8 way to go!

Randy
Paula
Ryan

Good

Jason's Hallejah

Originality of Jason ("I was thinking Bob Marley!)" of Amanda and of Chikazie

Changes

less auditions more hollywood week
less horse stories about KKK members
ban scarves

I liked this letter...esp. about AI title actually meaning something again...

http://www.votefortheworst.com/blogs/laura/20080521/letter_fremantle

remember VFTWers don't hate Idol...they watch it religiously...

etf link

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 02:17 PM (EST)
6. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I like most of your list except the mentoring. I think it's a great opportunity for the contestants to meet people in the business and get their feedback. Like someone said before, it's for them not us.

The Good:
*Allowing instruments - I loved seeing the showcase of not only singing talent, but also instrumental talent (for the most part)
*Anything David Cook came up with - it was finally fun to look forward to what someone was going to do on the show - and often be pleasantly surprised!
*songs on itunes!

The Bad:
*Shorten the results show - PLEASE!

Ch-ch-ch-Changes:
*Too many audition shows. Have a best-of-the-best and a worst-of-the-worst show and then show more Hollywood!
*How about an "original material" show? Maybe that's too far out there (and might need to be during the top 5 or 4 show), but I'd like to see what they might come up with.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 02:55 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Original material, you say?
Not a bad idea.
On GONE COUNTRY with John Rich, they have to write their own song - they get help from professionals.

This might be an interesting turn for the final 5 or 6?

Every day is Spring with Agman

realitytvwatcher 77 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-22-08, 02:59 PM (EST)
9. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I would love to see AI go the route of Rockstar. I watched Rockstar INXS and loved how the contestants were given a song to sing whether they liked it or not. They were aloud to trade with someone if they wanted. The songs were sometimes all over the genres. It was up to the singer to make the song fit their style. I loved what Marty did with "Hit me Baby One More Time".

I think it would be cool and it would show how talented the singers are. Having a good voice only takes you so far in the music industry. If there is no creativity then you'll soon be in a broadway musical or singing at Disney.

I feel a Christmas album is in the future for Archie. He'll probably be singing at the lighting of the tree at Rockefeller too!

05-22-08, 03:33 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
*runs back to thread and throws open the door*
Did somebody say mmmmmMarty?

*rowr*

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 02:57 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I think the mentoring is a good thing. It's the CHOICE of mentors that needs work, and as you mentioned, the choice of themes. Newer artists and the themes they bring with them, would be more enjoyable to watch, and more beneficial to the contestants. Show them how and what to sing to make TODAY'S charts.

05-22-08, 03:52 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-08 AT 03:52 PM (EST)

Nailbone -

You make a very good point and let me elaborate and change what i wrote.

The "mentoring" aspect of it is good, i agree. I think THE BEST MENTOR EVER was (suprisingly) Barry Manilow. I believe he was on there twice. The first time they did just his material, but what made him GREAT the 2nd time was he mentored them on "songs of the 50's" or some other time period if my memory is wrong.

I agree with you, the mentors can be good as Barry demonstrated. I think keeping in line with my theme comments, having a mentor for a broader theme would be fine. I just didn't like the limitations of just the Mariah/Dolly/Neil songbook. Thanks for the comments.

geekboy

Iconoclastic 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-22-08, 04:06 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I would change:

1)The Voting - Enough of this tweeny crap of voting 1000 times for someone because they would be good opening for Hannah Montana. Go with a system like Dancing With The Stars where each phone can be used to vote 1 fewer times than the number of contestants remaining.

2)Minimum Age For Contestants - Raise to at least 18. No more child stars and out of control stage parents.

3)Themes - Have some weeks with no themes and the weeks that do have themes, have them be as broad as possible. I don't care if David Cook can sing country of if Kristy Lee Cook can sing show tunes.

4)Judges - Keep Simon and ditch the other 2. Randy could be replaced with an Ipod that goes "Dawg, you could sing the phone book" every time you press play. Paula could be replaced by Tommy Chong.

5)Song Length - No more Cliffs Notes of the songs. Give each contestant up to 4 minutes to sing the whole song.

6)Contestants - Enough with the typical contestants to hit each demographic. Every year doesn't have to have the fat black diva, the country singer, the alt rocker, the classic rocker, the cute little kid and the easy listening chick.

7)Audition Shows - Take the first 2 episodes to show the ridiculously bad auditions and then spend the next couple of weeks introducing the top 24 with video packages of their audition, Hollywood week performances and backstory.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 05:38 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Paula could be replaced by Tommy Chong

*snort* Very nice!

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 04:37 PM (EST)
13. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Lot's of very good suggestions so far and only one additional change I would make:

For the love of dog can we please lose the stupid mosh pit? Those stupid tweenies get in the way and are a needless distraction.

FTR - I quite like thg mentor nights. Even the ones I don't think I am going to like, I end up liking - Dolly being the best example for me.

Chiseled by Abman Agman!

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-22-08, 05:04 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
I liked the fact that they could play instruments this year. I think it especially helped David C. and Brooke.

On a very light note, I certainly liked the makeover David Cook received because I found myself having a middle aged crush on him just in the last few weeks and at the beginning I thought he was kind of creepy.

SenecaTurtle 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

06-02-08, 11:17 AM (EST)
20. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
>
>On a very light note, I
>certainly liked the makeover David
>Cook received because I found
>myself having a middle aged
>crush on him just in
>the last few weeks and
>at the beginning I thought
>he was kind of creepy.
>

Me too! I didn't like David Cook at all in the beginning, but that changed as each week he got better and better. Loved the make-over. He's actually adorable once that hair was out of his face in that weird way.

I agree with most of the comments so far. Hate the long results show, Q&A was stupid, the blatent pimping of certain contestants and downgrading of others annoyed me. Loved the instruments. I'm tired of the weeks and weeks of auditions. Yes, there is some enjoyment in watching the untalented and bizarre, but having to watch such dreck for weeks on end in the hopes of catching a glimpse here and there of the ones who will actually be competing is getting tiresome.

I don't have a problem with having mentors, it's the fact that they forced them to sing the mentor's music only this season. Dolly week was an exception, I felt it was one of the best weeks of the season. However, I liked it better when they were given theme/genre weeks and brought in a mentor from that genre to work with them. The contestants were allowed to pick from a variety of songs from different genres. I'm sorry I do not care to hear them sing Neil Diamond songs EVER AGAIN! Mentors can help them immeasurably, but it should be an opportunity to improve the contestants and showcase their abilities, not the mentor's upcoming album. Again, more blatant pimpage to the benefit of TPTB.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-08, 05:05 PM (EST)
22. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Hi Seneca turtle, I haven't had a chance to welcome you to the boards yet. Welcome, and please accept this siggie as my welcome albiet a bit late!

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-08, 06:38 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
No more Constantine. Please. I'm begging.

01-09-09, 08:09 AM (EST)
23. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Well, this won't make you happy. Here's hoping "look-alike" doesn't mean he's smarmy and gross.

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-23-08, 01:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
My favorite performance: Chikeze (She's a Woman)

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-08, 01:37 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
Gee after watching last night's audition for SYTYCD it amazes me that these are produced the same people.

Yes it had a mix of good and bad like Idol, but somehow they manage to showcase some really spectacular talent and entertainingly bad talent.

I don't mind auditions shows, but I would like both shows to make sure we see all the top group before hand, and just a smattering of people we will see in "Hell Week" that won't make it and just a smattering of the bad talent.

I think SYTYCD focuses more on the talent than on the can we create a dramatic backstory and that really works for me.

It amazes me how I spend all of AI with ever increasing loathing for Nigel, yet I can forgive all that seeing him on SYTYCD.

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-30-08, 12:16 PM (EST)
19. "Theme Nights: Season 8"
On my wish list.

Take chances, and experiment more, w/Theme Nights.

I'd like to see:

New Wave, Punk, Grunge, One-Hit Wonders, 70s Glam Rock, Los Angeles and/or California based Bands, etc.

06-02-08, 02:52 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Theme Nights: Season 8"
I've been thinking more about the theme weeks. Here is where i stand now.

* For the three weeks we go from the Top24 -> Top12, ABSOLUTELY.NO.THEMES. Let the contestants pick whatever they want. This is our first time to really see these guys and figure out who they are. I did not like the 60s/70s/80s themes for the three weeks this season.

* From the top 12 -> top 4, update the theme weeks, keep it current, keep it fresh, keep it challenging.

* Once we hit the top four, I once again would like to dump the themes and let these guys pick whatever they want. This is the best of the best, let them go for it.

geekboy

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-09, 04:57 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The Good, The Bad, And What You Would Change About Season 7"
If they'll just keep the people that obviously are unstable and need help (ie Paula Goodspeed) out of auditions I could live with the rest.

Agman took me to the islands

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •