The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"drug testing in reality tv"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

justlookingaround 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-14-08, 10:15 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"drug testing in reality tv"
hi all. do you know if drug testing is done for contestants on reality tv and if so, what type of testing is done?
blood or urine? is there any type of medical/physical tests
that must be passed as well?

where could i find more info on the policies?

thanks.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: drug testing in reality tv Estee 01-15-08 1
   RE: drug testing in reality tv Snidget 01-15-08 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-15-08, 10:51 AM (EST)
1. "RE: drug testing in reality tv"
It depends on the show. We know that a medical exam is conducted for Survivor contestants who reach a certain stage in the application process: this includes drug tests of unknown type and a physical fitness check which Courtney supposedly passed. Basically, the more the series is based in physical competition, the more likely you are to get a battery of medical checks before you can get into the cast. (Biggest Loser contestants must be able to survive the workouts, which means it's possible to be too out of shape to get on the show.)

On the other hand, some series visibly don't care what their cast may be on: The Real World doesn't exactly screen addicts out, and VH1 likes to get the deep alcoholics whenever possible -- then throw a select few onto a rehab show.

Your best bet for getting specific drug policy information would be to contact the producers of a given series and ask what they require in the way of testing. But there's no universal system in place.

And we all know they don't do a lot of screening for personality disorders... at least, not to keep them out...

AI can be presumed to do some testing: it would be too much of a scandal if a contestant was caught buying drugs.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-15-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
2. "RE: drug testing in reality tv"
Since this is in the AI forum we do know that American Idol does do background checks. A few peeps got in trouble for something showing up on a background check that they didn't tell the producers about ahead of time.

I imagine they keep the exact tests a secret as if you knew exactly what they would do then people would try to beat the test.

If you go to most of the on-line documentation for applying to any show on the website for the network there is usually some mention of physical and mental evaluations. I'd expect that as I'm sure the shows have to carry some sort of insurance and the insurance company would want to reduce risk by making sure that your impending death or breakdown can't be blamed on them so they don't have to pay out.

Although based on what has happened on a few shows I do wonder just how good those evaluations were.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •