The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"American Idol Junior"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Connie E 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-14-03, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"American Idol Junior"
Maybe this is posted elsewhere....if so, feel free to lock.

I just wanted to know the forum's feelings in general about the Junior edition. While I don't know the exact format, if Fox is planning to conduct the kid version like the original AI, I'm BITTERLY opposed.

It's one thing for grown-ups to audition, take their chances with America, and take the abuse Simon (and we) heap upon them. It's another to subject children to this.

I already feel like too many kids are pushed by parents with unrealistic expectations to do things (talent shows, beauty pageants, sports, etc) that they'd really rather not do. I feel like we'll just see more of this on AI junior, and I think it's a shame.

Any thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: American Idol Junior cyclehausen 05-14-03 1
 RE: American Idol Junior Schnookie Palookie 05-14-03 2
 RE: American Idol Junior dajaki 05-14-03 3
   RE: American Idol Junior Connie E 05-14-03 4
 RE: American Idol Junior tig_ger 05-14-03 5
 RE: American Idol Junior Femme 05-14-03 6
 RE: American Idol Junior carencey 05-14-03 7
 RE: American Idol Junior SaphireLady 05-14-03 8
 RE: American Idol Junior Bebo 05-15-03 9
   RE: American Idol Junior smiley 05-15-03 10
   RE: American Idol Junior jkokoj 05-15-03 16
   RE: American Idol Junior SaphireLady 05-15-03 18
 RE: American Idol Junior mom2allgurls 05-15-03 11
   RE: American Idol Junior Femme 05-15-03 12
       RE: American Idol Junior Bebo 05-15-03 13
           RE: American Idol Junior managerr 05-15-03 15
       RE: American Idol Junior mom2allgurls 05-15-03 14
           RE: American Idol Junior cyclehausen 05-15-03 17
   RE: American Idol Junior prosource 05-20-03 22
 RE: American Idol Junior managerr 05-16-03 19
 RE: American Idol Junior Q 05-16-03 20
 RE: American Idol Junior TechNoir 05-16-03 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-14-03, 04:01 PM (EST)
1. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I doubt we'll see many kids who DON'T want to be famous singing stars.

And I really want to hear the good ones.

Of course, they're marketing the "insane stage parent" aspect of the show, and that will be the funniest part.

-cycleh. (*has no symapthy for DAWs or their spawn*)

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-14-03, 04:31 PM (EST)
2. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I do agree with you Connie. I probably will not watch the junior version of AI. I know there are many kids out there with talent but a lot of them are pushed by parents. I also don't like listening to kids singing "grown up" songs. Too wierd to listen to a 10 year old singing about lost love.

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-14-03, 05:00 PM (EST)
3. "RE: American Idol Junior"
One of my sister's students was recently on "America's Most Talented Kids". His parents are typical stage parents, according to my sister, and push their kids too hard to succeed in entertainment. I don't like how American Juniors is being marketed. The horrible behavior of stage parents shouldn't be broadcast, especially not while their children are standing next to them. This is a terrible way to exploit the kids even further. Not only do they lose out to the competition, but their parents make spectacles of themselves on national television. Shame on anyone who thinks its good entertainment to watch a 6 year-old witness his/her parents' angry tirades.

Connie E 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-14-03, 07:33 PM (EST)
4. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Or watch a six-year old be told 'You suck." "You're no good." "That was awful."

Do you really want to watch children being humiliated that way? I don't. Now, watching Josh be humiliated....THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

But kids? No way...they have a hard enough time growing up in this wacko world.....

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-14-03, 07:51 PM (EST)
5. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I can't think of a better way to royally *F* up the next generation. I wish parents would let kids be kids a little bit longer. (*spoken with the authority of a childless person*)

I probably won't watch it. I don't like to see kids crying or parents b!tching.

A Kyngsladye Original

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-14-03, 09:47 PM (EST)
6. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I won't be tuning in for this. Shame, really, that they can't seem to find enough dregs in the adult world to pimp for America. Naw, I'm staying out of this one.

Femme

"All right Ramblers, let's get ramblin'."

carencey 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-14-03, 11:20 PM (EST)
7. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I don't think I'll be watching, the kids just don't interest me that much. I thought I heard somewhere that there wouldn't be any judges critiquing a la Simon for the juniors though.

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-14-03, 11:38 PM (EST)
8. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I agree with most of everything stated by all so far, about 7 post I think.

However, as a parent of dancers, cheerleaders, media tech, gymnastics, music, etc.... and whatever else they were interested in, I have to say that we did push our children to do the best they could do. If you bring home C's on your report card but we never saw you study, then we knew you were not doing your best. Our kids did not get it till about high school. When our oldest made all A's except for AP History where she got a D. and we did not ground her, she actually asked us why. We told her that we knew she did the best she could in that class. That we knew she studied every night, that other dance team parents, while waiting for practice to be over, would chat and we were told just how hard of a teacher he was. That rarely did anyone get an A or B in his classes. Our son, we were happy with C's and a couple of B's and the occassional A from him because of his reading disability that made reading the text difficult.

His seniour year in which he took some rough classes, he made all A's all year. He finally figured out how to read with speed. He had learned how to read through his problem but it had taken him forever to get through anything. I think what happened is we finally found some authors he was interested in and he started loving to read. That makes such a difference.

Sorry I ramble there, I am back. Point, it is one thing to encourage your child, push your child to achieve their best, and to make your child do something they do not want to or to belittle them. If these children really want to be little stars, then I feel the parent should aid in that, while maintaining a balance of scouts, soccer, school, other childhood things that make us well rounded humans. I guess what I am saying is that it is okay for a parent to help their child, just as long as they remember they are a parent and not some agent wanting their 10 or 15 percent.

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-03, 08:23 AM (EST)
9. "RE: American Idol Junior"
The problem is that a lot of these parents don't really have a clue on whether or not these children are talented. They see their little darlings through rose-colored glasses.

Mr. Bebo teaches voice, and he gets really frustrated with the unduly inflated egos of a number of these little angels. Mommy and Daddy have filled their heads with unrealistic expectations and praise and turned some kids with real talent into unteachable monsters.

I was so pleased to read in Entertainment Weekly Simon Cowell's vehement opposition to this show. He firmly believes that no child under the age of 16 should be signed to a record contract, and that they're not old enough to face the treatment that they get.

I was a quite talented kid, and my parents encouraged me to take lessons and develop my talents in local amateur productions. But they didn't even consider anything further, even though we knew I had the potential for it, because they wanted me to take full advantage of all of the opportunities that childhood presents.

I say, let kids be kids and enjoy the wonders of childhood. If one is truly talented, there will be opportunities available once the child grows up enough to handle all that comes with them. But instead of pushing too hard, too fast, take advantage of the chance to nurture a child - and that child's talents - without putting unnecessary pressures. Kids have to grow up too fast today as it is.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-15-03, 09:11 AM (EST)
10. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Kids have to grow up too fast today as it is.

Totally agree Bebo. This is just a lame show put together probably more for the actions of the parents than the actual talent of the kids. I am glad that Simon his voicing his disapproval. I sure won't be watching it.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-15-03, 11:11 AM (EST)
16. "RE: American Idol Junior"
My daughter sounds like you Bebo! However, I feel the same as you and do not want to push my almost 6 year old on anything until she is ready. She is naturally talented and has been offered to do a little modeling but hubby and I are not ready for any of that. I want her to be a child and have fun.

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-15-03, 04:53 PM (EST)
18. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I agree, let them get older. All I was saying above is that if a child wants something a parent should try to help. By help I mean lessons, guidance, a firm grounding in reality (that part when old enough to understand the difference in telling like it is verses just knocking down to keep from doing) like rarely do you "make it". It is hard to make it in the cut throat world celebrity world. Anyway, all have a good day.

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

mom2allgurls 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-15-03, 09:23 AM (EST)
11. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I disagree with everyone for the most part. I have a 6 year old daughter that auditioned for AJ and made it to the second round. She was so excited and I did not "push" her at all. If she doesn't make the show, who cares, she knows she did her best. I do agree that kids need to be kids. I think thats why they did the show oer the summer.

My daughter wants to try again next year and I will back her in everything she wants to do whether it be auditioning for shows or playing T-ball.

Just my 2 cents.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-15-03, 09:33 AM (EST)
12. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Yes, but you wouldn't have made for good television. I'm sure your daughter can sing well, but you, as the parent, didn't throw a big enough fit. They reward the creepy, whacked-out parents by plastering their faces all over the t.v. I don't want to see that.

Have your daughter try out for Star Search. I'll watch her kick butt over there instead.

Femme

"All right Ramblers, let's get ramblin'."

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
13. "RE: American Idol Junior"
What Femme said.

The whole reason I plan to avoid watching AJ is that they're going to focus on the drama queens (I'm referring to the stage mothers here), instead of the kids that have loving, supportive people like you behind them. And since those kids are already getting exploited by their parents, I'm not going to join in.

I hope your daughter continues to enjoy singing, and sports, and whatever else she chooses to try. That's one of the coolest things about being a kid - the freedom to try a whole bunch of stuff. Once we get old and have to worry about whether we can afford to change jobs and still pay the rent and other responsible stuff like that, we miss out on that joy.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-15-03, 11:04 AM (EST)
15. "RE: American Idol Junior"
I actually hope there are no judges for this show. At least there shouldn't be.

Exploting a kids' parents is arguably worse. These kids are still going to have to go to school where they will be ridiculed for having their parents made fools of on Fox.

All in all, I think it's a bad idea. I'm glad that tons of people on a lot of message boards are thinking the same way and not planning to watch.

mom2allgurls 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-03, 10:53 AM (EST)
14. "RE: American Idol Junior"
She's not old enough for star search yet. You have to be 8 but that gives her 2 more years of voice lessons before she can try out so I'm hoping she will kick butt.

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-15-03, 03:46 PM (EST)
17. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Speaking of Star Search, did anyone else kill the half hour before AI by watching it? That little boy was AWESOME! What's his name and where do I buy the album? You want blood for it? I'll give you a gallon!

prosource 1 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-03, 10:07 PM (EST)
22. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Have they let you know if your daughter made the show yet or not? Our daughter also tried out in Chatanooga. She made it to the second round and they told everyone they would contact them to let them know if they made it to the final round but so far we've heard nothing.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-16-03, 10:58 AM (EST)
19. "RE: American Idol Junior"
WTF? I just read that Paula Abdul is now hosting the show, despite an interview with her that said she was oppossed to the concept early on.

Apparently, the semi-final and final rounds are taking place this weekend, and they'll narrow the field from 80 to 20. One of the 80 is Julia DeMato's neice, Danielle DeMato. (I'll go out on a limb and say she makes it, even if she can't sing)

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-16-03, 11:17 AM (EST)
20. "RE: American Idol Junior"
Can't do it. I cannot watch this show.

It is astonishing how foolish humans can be in groups, especially when they follow their leaders without question - States: The Bene Gesserit View. All States Are an Abstraction.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-03, 02:24 PM (EST)
21. "RE: American Idol Junior"
The up sides:

-- More money and less obscure than all those "pageant" things that start at about age 8 months.
-- Equally abusive to all races and genders
-- Child social services can watch so they will know which kids to take away from abusive parents

Down sides:
-- I can only hope the ratings will quickly tank. Of course I am probably overestimating the public.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall" -- Proverbs 16:18

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •