The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Pre-show pain"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-17-07, 02:59 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Pre-show pain"
Okay, does anyone else find this pre-show freak show painful? Or is it just me?

Showing these poor hope-less kids fall on their face, because they were picked to be made fun of, as this is TV show, not a talent show. The talent is a by product, the ratings are where it is at. They showed some kid from Burnsville crying in his mother's arms for what seemed to be an eternity. I could almost hear the producer, "Focus on him more, close in...get the tears, don't move the camera. Ryam, do something supportive but condescending at the same time." I felt for the guy, he was set up, (of course) why they do not know they are being set up I could not even tell you.

But when is the freak show no longer entertaining? The second season it was kinda good, now it is just pathetic. I wish AI would just get to the show like Nashville Star. Maybe show a 'highlight' show that is a half hour long of the "Road to get to AI".

I will watch when, and if they get to the competition.

Excellent siggy by JSlice, Worm by the Fab IceCat And Icey bounced me! Yippee!!
I wish I were a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum...Cuz how can you be grumpy, When the sun shines out your bum??

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I feel your pain LisaPles 01-17-07 1
   RE: I feel your pain geekboy 01-17-07 2
       RE: I feel your pain LisaPles 01-19-07 15
 RE: Pre-show pain nailbone 01-17-07 3
   RE: Pre-show pain Magnolia_Rocker 01-17-07 4
       RE: Pre-show pain nailbone 01-17-07 5
           RE: Pre-show pain TWoman 01-17-07 6
               RE: Pre-show pain KoalaChick 01-17-07 7
               RE: Pre-show pain geekboy 01-17-07 8
                   RE: Pre-show pain aquariaqueen 01-17-07 9
                   RE: Pre-show pain nailbone 01-17-07 10
                       RE: Pre-show pain AshLanie 01-23-07 19
 RE: Pre-show pain xwraith27 01-17-07 11
   RE: Pre-show pain jbug 01-18-07 12
 RE: Pre-show pain geg6 01-18-07 13
   RE: Pre-show pain aquariaqueen 01-19-07 14
 I am Perverse, WAS RE: Pre-show pai... codswallop 01-19-07 16
   RE: I am Perverse, WAS RE: Pre-show... Buggy 01-22-07 17
 RE: Pre-show pain bob_chester 01-22-07 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-17-07, 03:27 PM (EST)
1. "RE: I feel your pain"
I agree with you and I think it is completely pathetic. I am glad to say that I didn’t watch. They milk the clips for all they’re worth so that they can get as many programs out of it as possible. It’s not entertaining but the producers love it because it’s low budget.
I think the show is total crap until the final 10 or 12. I have vowed not to watch this season until maybe the very end. I really wouldn’t mind giving it a miss altogether though. I am so sick of the judges, especially Paula and Randy. I think some fresh faces are sorely needed. And don’t even get me started on my disdain for Ryan Seacrest. I can’t figure out for the life of me why people have seemed to embrace the guy. He is a total dolt! Sorry for the rant but somehow I think you understand!

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-17-07, 03:44 PM (EST)
2. "RE: I feel your pain"
First, i do dislike the auditions simply for the fact that the focus on, and use the poor singers for pure entertainment sake. But, playing the Devil's Advocate, one has to agree that a lot of the idiots that get facetime are there simply to get facetime and they know they can't sing. So...we can't totally bash the judges when some are there and know waht they are getting into.

With that said...i have to ask you to embellish on your Ryan bashing. He does his job, and quite frankly he does it well. What is your beef with Ryan?

Need i remind you of Dunkelman?

geekboy

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-07, 10:50 AM (EST)
15. "RE: I feel your pain"
>With that said...i have to ask
>you to embellish on your
>Ryan bashing. He does
>his job, and quite frankly
>he does it well.
>What is your beef with
>Ryan?

I know I expressed this last season and I have conceded to the fact that I am apparently in the minority in my dislike of Seacrest (or Douchecrest as I so affectionately refer to him). I think he is a tactless idiot who more often than not seems unprepared and stumbles through reading off the teleprompter. Perhaps he has pimped himself out for too many gigs and can’t devote the appropriate amount of time to American Idol. Maybe it's the way he comes on stage and emphatically says "I'm Ryan Seacrest" EACH and EVERY show. OK, we know who you are and the show isn't about you. Maybe it’s that with the addition of Paula and Randy the “cast” seems like the island of misfits.
I resign to the fact that most people like him and I will never understand why. Why can’t the “host” at least be tall and handsome instead of a skinny dweeb with bad highlights? Please resist the urge to defend him, I already know you all love the guy.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-17-07, 04:04 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Pre-show pain"
They seem to be especially mean this time. Not just telling the kids they can't sing, but making mean comments about appearances. And telling the ones that want legit feedback to try something other than singing. Can't remember which one, but one kid actually sounded OK with some work, but they basically just told him " you suck".

It was, however, quite humorous when Randy was being especially hard on one kid, and Simon was giving his grief avbout it, talking about how harsh and rude Randy was.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-17-07, 04:09 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Pre-show pain"
That was the kid/man that said he was a vocal coach and Randy told him he should give all the kids their money back. The DH was laughing his a** off when Simon started playind Devil's advocate. I have noticed that Randy has raised his harshness meter to be on par with Simon's this year. As a matter of fact Paula wasn't even her nicey-nice self last night. Must have been that time of the month for all of them.

A Tribe Original!

01-17-07, 04:16 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Pre-show pain"
Yep, that's the guy.

TWoman 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-17-07, 04:34 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Pre-show pain"
I for one find this 2 weeks of pre-show unwatchable. I think it's embarassing that people find it entertaining to watch others reduced to tears. The judges know this is what people want to see (or at least think that's what they want to see) and they go out of their way to be cruel and, many times, unjustly harsh.

I don't mind seeing auditions of future finalists and would definitely watch these pre-show weeks if they focussed on that and got rid of the "let's see how mean and condescending we can be to young kids" schtick.

KoalaChick 509 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 04:50 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Pre-show pain"
Hey, if FOX didn't show the wannabe's and willneverbe's that show up to audition for this show, we never would have found William Hung, and the world would be a sadder place.

I, for one, enjoy every aspect of this show, and watch the entire season. It's amazing how one show can, over a season's time, go from a comedy to a drama, and still keep the attention of huge numbers of viewers.

I do agree, though, that the judges seemed a bit rougher last night and cut people that I thought sounded pretty good. I liked having Jewel there, she did a great job of distracting us from the train wreck that Paula is. Paula was a total non-factor in the show last night, giving not much more than a thumbs up or thumbs down. Personally, I'd like to see her fade into the sunset this year.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-17-07, 05:09 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Pre-show pain"
I think there are basically three type of people that go to these auditions. Let me lay it out.

(1) Those that actually have the talent, and make it to Hollywood.
(2) Those who THINK they can sing, and unfortunately do not have kind enough family or friends that tell them "No, honey, you cannot sing. Don't go embarrass yourself." This, to me, is the sad group. They simply should not be there. The inverse of this is those that do have frieds/family that tell them to stay home, and therefore we don't have to sit through their tears.
(3) Those that simply go to get their 15 minutes of fame knowing damn well they can't sing a note. I think this is the majority of the people at the auditions, sadly enough.

geekboy

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-17-07, 05:45 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Pre-show pain"
Well said.

01-17-07, 05:52 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Pre-show pain"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07 AT 05:52 PM (EST)

I know at least one person in a fourth category...those who have actual talent, but don't make it to Hollywood, or even to Simon/Paula/Randy.

I actually have a friend that sings like an angel (and looks like one), and I'm not alone in thinking that, that went to San Antonio for the auditons there. She was told by the producer types that she was very talented, but "not what they were looking for this season", whatever that means.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-23-07, 06:02 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Pre-show pain"
>LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07
>AT 05:52 PM (EST)

>
>I know at least one
>person in a fourth category...those
>who have actual talent, but
>don't make it to Hollywood,
>or even to Simon/Paula/Randy.
>
>I actually have a friend that
>sings like an angel (and
>looks like one), and I'm
>not alone in thinking that,
>that went to San Antonio
>for the auditons there.
>She was told by the
>producer types that she was
>very talented, but "not what
>they were looking for this
>season", whatever that means.
>
>
>

Nods in agreement. Two seasons ago the daughter of a friend tried out and was told the same....her voice was on par with past contestants but she wasn't what they were looking for. The daughter can sing from opera, to rock, to country etc without missing a beat.

After I was told this by my friend I began to wonder if we are actually voting on the best that tried out? Just how many good ones got/get turned away because they weren't right for the season they were casting for?

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-17-07, 07:21 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Pre-show pain"
It's definitely not just you.

I watched last night's episode and I thought that it was more or less the typical auditions stage of AI: the tone-deaf singers who assert that they can sing, the costumed freaks who have no chance in hell to get to the Hollywood rounds, the good singers who have "overcome a lot of obstacles", and the people you just can't help but feel sorry for not making it.

I actually liked a couple of the people who didn't make it, especially the faux-rocker teenager. I could see him in the cover of the album, but I can't see myself listening to any of his songs. As for the freakazoids, well, I believe that before actually auditioning for Randy, Paula, Simon, and possible guest judge, these contestants have already gone through a separate audition with producers and talent scouts. There, they pick the best of the best and the worst of the worst to audition for the judges. Unless the people in charge of the preliminary auditions stop sending the freaks through, I guess we'll just have to suffer together.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-07, 09:25 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Pre-show pain"
This is the way I understood it to work as well. And as long as those who are just there to get their few minutes on TV get thru to S/P/R, we'll have to watch all the non-talents and freaks. Guess it makes for higher ratings. And then for S/P/R to act surprised at all the really bad singers and act like "oh, we'll NEVER find anyone good here in ......."! They know what they have to put up with. All the fighting and bickering and putdowns are an act by the judges as well.

It's the OBVIOUS freaks that I wish they would NOT put thru. Maybe they could do some filming of them and air a special show just of them.
But give those who really can sing a chance to audition and have their chance at a few minutes of TV time. Wonder what the pre-audition "producers" really thought about Taylor Hicks when they sent him thru to S/P/R? Did they think he was good? or did they think he would just be good film for the ratings stuff? Wonder if they were surprised when he went all the way to win?

I feel sorry for those poor ones whose families have mislead them all this time to THINK they can sing but can't carry a tune in a bucket.

> ............. As for the freakazoids,
>well, I believe that before
>actually auditioning for Randy, Paula,
>Simon, and possible guest judge,
>these contestants have already gone
>through a separate audition with
>producers and talent scouts. There,
>they pick the best of
>the best and the worst
>of the worst to audition
>for the judges. Unless the
>people in charge of the
>preliminary auditions stop sending the
>freaks through, I guess we'll
>just have to suffer together.
>

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-07, 04:26 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Pre-show pain"
What I've been told by some TV people who know about such things is that AI has two audiences. Kind of like NASCAR. You know, there are people who watch NASCAR races because they love the art of the drivers and pit crews, the strategy of the race. And then there are those who watch simply hoping for a crash.

The auditions are mainly for the crash watchers. I hate NASCAR, but I wouldn't be one of those. I'd be one who watched for the drivers, crew, and strategy. Consequently, I may have these audition shows on because there is nothing else on TV to watch. But I'm not watching unless my ears pick up something worth watching.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-19-07, 10:18 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Pre-show pain"
OH come on, it's great....they drive for a while, and take a left turn, then they straighten out, and watch out, another left turn....straighten out their wheels, and get this, they get to make another left turn......that's exciting stuff. Sometimes they do that 1000 times in a 500 mile race!!!

codswallop 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-19-07, 01:12 PM (EST)
16. "I am Perverse, WAS RE: Pre-show pain"
AI is really two separate shows: the Auditions and the Real Competition. Some people enjoy the whole package, others endure the first to get to the second, and still others wiatch only one or the other, but not both. It all depends what you like.

From my POV, there are LOTS of good singers in the world, way more than will ever win AI, or get a recording contract, or even play at my local bar. Think of how many times you've gone to hear some unknown singer and been blown away--it happens to me a couple of times a year at least. That's a lot! And those people will never be heard from, because supply outstrips demand. There are simply more good singers in the world than audiences to appreciate them.

I find the final weeks of the show deadly dull, and especially the endless discussion of whether this one was better than that one, who got dissed, who got bumped because she's too "unaesthetic" (we all realize that TV is a VISUAL medium, right?), etc. ad infinitum. Boring, boring, boring! And when it ends up on my nightly news (gotta stop watching the Fox affiliate during the final), I get positively offended.

Personally, I only enjoy the auditions stage. Now why am I so perverse? I have an iPod full of excellent music, but I LOVE a good "train wreck."

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
17. "RE: I am Perverse, WAS RE: Pre-show pain"
I agree that Idol is two shows, I've always thought of it that way.
Every year we have people that complain that the judges are too mean, and they are. Every adutition season it's like this.
I think we sometimes forget how mean they can be, and how freaky the wannabes are going to be.

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-22-07, 07:26 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Pre-show pain"
These People know what they are getting into when the get there. Come on. Why don't there family or friends stop them???
I will tell you why. They want to be on TV and maybe become the next Willaim Hung

Double standards here too.
Right here on this board people are mean to the final contestnats too. So are the Judges.

Why are you denying that People love to see others in misery. You seen Gladiator or BraveHeart? lol
People love this crap.

Kick back and enjoy.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •