The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-28-03, 07:12 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
The author of Gay Idol Journal weighs in with his vote, and the political and social motivations behind it. This is not his usual bitchfest, but a more serious personal plea. Feel free to agree, disagree, laugh, or avoid the topic entirely. It’s in your hands.

Why I’m Voting for Clay Aiken
One (Gay) Man’s Opinion
By Larry Johnson

American Idol, for me, has become a weekly event. Each Wednesday, several of my good friends join my boyfriend and I around the television. With the TIVO controller in hand, we re-hash Tuesday’s episode to cheer our favorites, critique the less-worthy candidates, and predict the outcome. Then we launch into Wednesday’s episode, hoping our predictions will come true. I must admit I stood, mouth agape, near tears when Vanessa was unceremoniously booted. Conversely, I jumped for joy and screamed like a little girl last Wednesday when Carmen received her long-overdue ousting. All along, I have been quietly hoping that underdog-former-nerd-Clay Aiken will take the title. However, after a few conversations this week with co-workers and friends, I’m beginning to doubt that ‘my Clay’ will pull it off… primarily due to his perceived ‘softness’ as a performer. In fact, I’ve heard from several people… even my ‘out-of-the-closet’ friends… who say they won’t vote for Clay because he is ‘too gay.’ They actually used those words as a valid excuse to deny Clay the title of American Idol. And I’m more than a little bit upset about it.

It’s important to me that you realize I am not making any statement whatsoever about Clay’s sexuality. I don’t pretend to know whether Clay is gay, straight, bi-sexual, a-sexual… hell, he could like Chihuahuas, for all I care. What I’m talking about are affectations in his performing style: over-enunciation, a penchant for romantic ‘Broadway-style’ ballads, a stiffness and lack of masculine ‘swagger,’ a sweetness and sensitivity in his interpretation, and, most egregiously, his habit of fluttering his eyelashes and mouthing the words ‘thank you’ to his fans. Add this to the severity of his ‘make-over,’ and his Seacrest-Shag hairstyle, and the whole package makes some men… well… uncomfortable. Simon’s recent unflattering comments to Clay hint that he feels this way as well. And Clay’s somewhat manufactured ‘chemistry’ with Carmen didn’t do much to help the matter, either. The truth is, Clay is probably just a shy Southern boy, uncomfortable with his physicality after years of being called a ‘nerd.’ But to be fair, I must admit it. Sweet, shy, soft-spoken Clay comes off as a bit… well… effeminate. There. I said it. The dreaded ‘E’ word.

But is any of this a reason not to vote for Clay?

No doubt there have been male pop stars, past and present, gay and straight, with effeminate qualities. A short list of names might include Elton John, David Bowie, Ricky Martin, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Savage Garden’s Darren Hayes (a personal favorite), Johnny Mathis, Barry Manilow, Prince, Boy George, Neil Sedaka, and many, many more. Even manufactured stars, like some of the N’SYNC and Backstreet Boys members have ‘soft’ qualities about them that have cause numerous gay rumors. In fact, Girls (particularly pre-teen and teenaged ones) appear to be Clay’s biggest fan base. They don’t appear to care that he isn’t particularly manly. His sensitive qualities make him more boyish, and non-threatening. His sex appeal is kept comfortably under wraps, and they like it that way. (It is, in fact, this group that probably caused the demise of Kim Caldwell, who many young girls found to be too confident and too brash in her sexuality.)

So why are men, both straight and gay, abandoning Clay in favor of ‘safer’ targets like Ruben and Kimberley Locke? In some cases, certainly, it is simply due to preference of one voice type over another. But in other cases… like those who say that Clay is simply ‘too gay’… I submit it is due to prejudice. Men, in our culture, are raised to feel that men should behave and carry themselves in a certain way, and that traits which are usually identified as ‘feminine’ should be shunned. I submit that this narrow-minded exclusionism is outdated and foolish. A combination of masculine and feminine traits makes a well-rounded and healthy individual. I suppose, however, that this deep-seeded prejudice will not be broken easily. I do not expect my article to sway the straight male population (who, most likely, never will read an article with ‘gay’ in the title anyway) to begin to see Clay in a new light.

But what hurts me is that there are so many gay people who have turned away from Clay. As the gay population continues to blend into society, there is an increasing self-hatred for the traits that make us stand out. Many of my gay friends and acquaintances make every possible effort to seem as masculine as they can, to avoid fitting the ‘girly’ or ‘drag queen’ stereotypes of the past. Some of them have layered a false persona over their own natural one, so much so that they have trouble showing their real feelings and emotions, rendering them cold and unhappy. I, for one, refuse to do this.

So, as an admittedly effeminate gay man, I will vote early and often for Clay Aiken, because his voice is glorious, powerful, and distinctive. Because his style of music is appealing to me. Because his nerdy, outcast, underdog image is something I can relate to. And because his ‘soft’ traits are endearing, warm, and re-assuring to me. I urge others, particularly gay men who agree with my position, to do the same. Clay Aiken may be ‘too gay’ in the narrow-minded eyes of some, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be your American Idol.

Larry Johnson is a comedy writer, currently working for Disney TV. Look for his weekly commentary about Survivor, American Idol and Amazing Race from a gay point of view. Also, if you dare, please check out his website, http://www.gaycomedyjournals.com/

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion true 04-28-03 1
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion TODDLJ 04-28-03 2
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion tig_ger 04-28-03 3
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion TODDLJ 04-29-03 5
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion Connie E 04-29-03 4
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion TODDLJ 04-29-03 6
       RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion katem 04-29-03 11
           RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion realityluver 04-30-03 14
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion managerr 04-29-03 7
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion toddE 04-29-03 8
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion L82LIFE 04-29-03 9
 WOW LARRY !!!!! katem 04-29-03 10
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion drawde236 04-29-03 12
 Thank you GeorgiaBelle 04-30-03 13
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion wildchickenhunter 04-30-03 15
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion Bebo 04-30-03 16
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion cyclehausen 04-30-03 17
       RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion Femme 04-30-03 18
           RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion cyclehausen 04-30-03 19
           RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion TODDLJ 04-30-03 21
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion I_AM_SHOCKED 04-30-03 23
       Why is Josh still there? Here's wh... Connie E 05-01-03 24
           RE: Why is Josh still there? Here'... I_AM_SHOCKED 05-01-03 25
           RE: Why is Josh still there? Here'... dumbrit 05-01-03 28
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion TODDLJ 04-30-03 20
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion BriarRosie 04-30-03 22
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion PrettyInPink 05-01-03 26
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion dumbrit 05-01-03 27
   RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion I_AM_SHOCKED 05-01-03 29
 RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion divaliving 05-16-03 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-03, 07:25 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Well said, Larry.

I like Clay, and the things you describe never entered my mind. I was the one who thought he and Carmen were cute together! Until I made that comment, and saw the responses here, it never even occured to me that Clay might be gay. It's not that I automatically assumed he wasn't, I just don't question a persons sexuality when I listen to them sing. (or any time really) I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people would be so stupid and judgmental.

I think Clay is the best singer there, so thats who I'm voting for.

04-28-03, 08:02 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Thanks, true. Your opinion is refreshing!

We agree Clay is the best singer... Go Clay!

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-28-03, 08:42 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
because his voice is glorious, powerful, and distinctive. Because his style of music is appealing to me. Because his nerdy, outcast, underdog image is something I can relate to. And because his ‘soft’ traits are endearing, warm, and re-assuring to me.

I completely agree with you that Clay and his music are all of the above things. I actually hadn't heard of anyone moving to Ruben or Kim L because of Clay's performing style...but whether he is gay or not gay, effeminate or not effeminate, is completely unimportant to me. I am voting based upon the voice I enjoy listening to. It could come from an alien for all I care. (In fact, even better, because I could read your critique of it.)

04-29-03, 11:29 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
I can just picture it...

I'm sick and tired of the discrimination faced by Alien-American contestant Isk3bot 'Clay' !RRt!l't7. So what if he has seven eyes and his skin is green, nowhere is it written that your American Idol has to be from this planet! (And ever since he got that Ryan Seacrest hairstyle, his flourscent blue full-body hair is much more appealing!)

Connie E 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-29-03, 11:28 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Well said, Larry. May I just add that, in my own very humble and musically limited (even my own children prefer that I don't sing lullabys to them) opinion, Kim L has been the recipient of another similar form of prejudice? The bottom three? THREE times? With THAT voice? Why? I submit it's because she is a "big gal". She doesn't fit the "image" all the young girls want to be...a size 2 kept in tact with a surefire healthy combo of speed and self-induced vomiting. How inspiring.

I don't think Clay OR Kim will carry this thing off, and I feel both of them have been the victims of different kinds of prejudice.

04-29-03, 01:03 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
I gotta say you are spot-on with this assessment, Connie E. It's interesting that Ruben seems to actually be benefitting from his weight. It appears to be okay with the judges when an African American Man is heavy, while people like Josh, Kim L and Vanessa receive comments about their weight. I don't get it.

Personally, Ruben's weight is simply unhealthy, and I think it negatively impacts his singing voice, causing him to get winded, sweaty, and out of breath. If anyone should be getting flak about their size it is him.

Of course, if a pop star is depending on a sexy image (like Kim Caldwell was) then a tight body certainly can help. People like Madonna made a career of this. But none of our finalists (with the obvious exception of Trenyce) are trying to sell sex... and the voters seem to favor less 'sexy' contestants anyway... so it shouldn't matter.

(Still I reserve the right to throw a fit when anyone looks less than their best! Part of being a star is always striving to improve yourself!)

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-29-03, 06:09 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"

>Personally, Ruben's weight is simply unhealthy,
>and I think it negatively
>impacts his singing voice, causing
>him to get winded, sweaty,
>and out of breath.
>If anyone should be getting
>flak about their size it
>is him.

Case in point, Luthor Vandross. He had to have a tracheotomy because he could not breathe, after he had his stroke. It appears that the doctors did save his vocal chords.

It makes me very uncomfortable to see Ruben panting and sweating after EVERY performance. Come on, they are only 90 seconds long.

Yet, he has NEVER been critized by Simon or the other judges for this. Not a single word.

(c) 2002, 03 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

realityluver 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-30-03, 11:10 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
>
>>Personally, Ruben's weight is simply unhealthy,
>>and I think it negatively
>>impacts his singing voice, causing
>>him to get winded, sweaty,
>>and out of breath.
>>If anyone should be getting
>>flak about their size it
>>is him.

I agree Ruben needs to lose weight, but I don't think that necessarily contributes to him getting winded or sweaty. I've noticed several of the other contestants have gotten winded, and the only times I remember him really sweating is when he was sick and had a fever. Other performers (1/4) the size of Ruben sweat on stage.
>
>Case in point, Luthor Vandross. He
>had to have a tracheotomy
>because he could not breathe,
>after he had his stroke.
>It appears that the doctors
>did save his vocal chords.

Luther Vandross could not breathe because he had pneumonia, not because of his weight. BTW, he's not the 'Big Luther' these days.
>
>
>It makes me very uncomfortable to
>see Ruben panting and sweating
>after EVERY performance. Come on,
>they are only 90 seconds
>long.
>
We must be watching two different Rubens. I don't see the panting and sweating that you do.

>Yet, he has NEVER been critized
>by Simon or the other
>judges for this. Not a
>single word.

You're right about that.
>

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-29-03, 01:26 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
I used to be one of those people who went to the gay clubs and shunned the drag queens. The effiminate gay men irritated me and I wanted nothing to do with them. Then one day I asked one of them: "Why do you act that way? You're giving us all a bad name." His answer was sobering: "That's just the way I am. I can't help the way I act." Right then there, it suddenly hit me that I was guilty of doing the exact same thing I would accuse of other people. Being intolerant. Not being able to accept people for who they really are. Anyway, I shortened the incident, but I understand your point and that night changed my perception of things forever.

Back to Clay, I actually think his entire "gay" persona is totally manufactured. The real Clay is the badly fashioned nerd boy who is trying to generate an image of himself that he really isn't. You can tell by his wardrobe choices that he is battling between two worlds. Throw away the Ryan hair, the pancake makeup, and the pastel outfits and would our gaydars be pinging? I'm not so sure. I know mine wasn't really until after the tryout episodes.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-29-03, 04:17 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Well, I previously got a bashing for judging Clay as gay, and I had based that only on his softness and his interest in working with special ed. kids, a fairly reliable indicator in my experience. However, I would be biased to favor a gay candidate. Unfortunately, the only "out" choice so far has been Jim Verraros, a very limited singer.(Good looking enough, though).

I just don't like Clay. He is so boring. He and Ruben both sing every song the same, but Ruben's sameness is better than Clay's. I feel Clay has little style (so maybe he isn't gay) or "flavor."

I am surprised to find myself saying that this season the candidates are solid, but lackluster. Nikki, Tamyra--now they were appealing.

I think Kim L. is the most talented person left, but she has even less personality than Clay.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-03, 04:28 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
You make a really good point, Larry. Add me to the list of people who never thought that Clay was gay. I did think he and Carmen were becoming a couple. The point is, it doesn't matter one bit whether he is or not, the boy can SING!

After one night when he sang Elton John, hubby and I were both commenting on his voice being just as good as Elton, Billy Joel, Sting, etc. I think he's in that same class. He has the range and the power to carry off a variety of songs.

I think that the true competition will be between Clay, Ruben and Kim L. However it ends up will be good. None of these three are your typical Britney, Justin look alikes. Hopefully, whichever one of them wins this, they will stick to being themselves and show their young fans that you don't have to be a perfect model to be successful in life.

Go Clay!!!

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-03, 06:02 PM (EST)
10. "WOW LARRY !!!!!"
I must say this to start: (IMHO) SINGLE. BEST POST. EVER

Larry, as a pretty much non-effeminate looking and acting (although I must admit I DO have my moments ) gay man, I agree with every single, well written word that you said.

I know some peeps, gay peeps, that have told me Clay is to gay. I have balked at this. This kid has a tremendous voice and will be a big pop star, mark my words.

It is a sad reality and one that should not be taken lightly, your words are a great way to begin with, to bring some change to this problem.

It disturbs me that even the judges over-praise Ruben, but knock Clay, even though both pretty much sing the same way and trip up on the same genres. The difference is that Ruben looks very heterosexual and Clay does not. As for Kim Locke, you have to admit, the woman IS getting better with each performance and is making a huge run at the title.

Anyway, there aren't a lot of words I can use, to describe all this as well you already have. Thanks for taking the time and writing it all down. Glad you are here. As Sean Rector once said: "You're representing !!!!!".

Well done Larry

(c) 2002, 03 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

drawde236 317 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-29-03, 11:30 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Larry,

This is a wonderful thread and I thought I would add my two cents. I, too, am a gay man, but not a Clay fan. I do not base my opinion of Clay on whether I think he is gay or not (frankly, I don't give a rip), it is because I simply could not listen to an entire cd from him without cringing. Something about his voice just annoys me.

Let me throw one question at you. Do you think Clay will be better off not winning this competition? I have a feeling that the phrase "American Idol" is going to become more of a stigma than a selling point. In my opinion, Clay will do much better losing than winning. Naysayers will point out the recent success from Kelly Clarkson, but the cd as a whole is iffy at best and once the show ends, so does the publicity. I think the so-so cd combined with the forthcoming movie (From Justin To Kelly....Less like "Grease", more like Lard) will do her in. If anyone becomes successful and has a longterm career, it will be someone who lost the competition.

GeorgiaBelle 2136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-30-03, 01:17 AM (EST)
13. "Thank you "
This thread has been needed for a long time.

I know this is just repeat of repeated words and a few people here know that I actually feel this way.

Never once, did I think of Clay as gay. But I do not look for "gay" qualities in people. The thought is extremely offensive to me. One of the most nasty, rude and offensive things people can do is judge someone for what they do not understand.

Clay has a plainly superior voice and this is the entire reason I want him to win. It would not take long for me to get in line to buy his CD. It has nothing to do with his wardrobe, his eye flutters or the sicking way he can turn his heels backward. My like of Clay comes from his ability to sing. The stores are full of music from every walk of life that proves just this point. How sad this world would be if we all had to dress, walk, think, talk and act the same.

There is a poster that I have spoken with in depth about weight. This person is truly concerned about Rubens weight. I must agree. He is not a healthy role model. I am raising my grandchild and struggling as a single parent to do so. In this struggle I am trying my best to set a standard for her. As a performer Ruben does have a mellow voice but just solely due to his weight this is not a man I would want her to inspire to be like.

Many of my friends are excellent male role models for her and I fill her little life with them and they are wonderful to her. But who is it that children usually look up to and follow? Their hero's in music and other forms of pop culture. So with that said, I am teaching her while I can to be a loving, accepting and tolerant person who looks beyond sex, color, religion or sexual preference.

My best wishes are with Clay. If he does not make it to the end then I hope he finds real happiness and success in life, wherever life may take him.

What I am trying to say here is I do not vote for him because the way he acts or looks. I vote for him because of the way he sings.

END OF STORY!

-Belle

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-03, 03:53 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
First of all LJ. I read all of your DIVA stuff and love it....seldom get back in and say so, but thanks!!!!!!!!

I think you are probably right, Clay is a shy southern boy who is nerdish. He is probably hetro and may be even got a kiss from Carmen. I personally thought he was gay from the first time I saw him (try outs). I have to admit, when I saw/heard him sing Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me I have been a fan.....He is the best week in and week out....

He could have put a lot of this to rest if he reworded that song... Don't Let Carmen Go Down On Me.

Ah, Nobody ever said I was politically correct.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-03, 04:01 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Clay's from Raleigh, like me, so I was immediately on the Clay bandwagon, but he's kept me there with strong performances.

Do I care about a performer's sexual orientation? Since my odds of having sex with them are nil (Mr. Bebo heaves a sigh of relief), then no.

Do I care about a performer's race? No.

Do I care about a performer's military status? No.

All I want is to be entertained. Show some talent, show how to use it, and you get my vote.

I know boring military people, as well as talented military people. I know boring people of a number of races, as well as talented people of a number of races. I know boring straight people, as well as talented straight people.

And yes, I know boring gay people, as well as talented gay people.

But when I turn on AI, I just want to see and hear a performance that makes me care enough to pick up the phone and vote. Someone could have three arms and two heads for all I care, just show some talent!

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-30-03, 04:26 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Talent be damned, I will vote for the two-headed, three-armed freak any time. Whether we're "out" or not, the bicranial quintilimbed have to stick together!!

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-30-03, 05:33 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Hear, hear...

Oh, and I *heart* Larry. Clay gets my vote every week. I always vote Clay (I really thought he should make it into the final 12, and I voted for him that first night.) and I do think he is gay. He is very effiminate, but it all is part of his total package. His total package (the "theatrics" as Simon calls them, the cute sideways-mouth, the super personality, and the whole aura that is Clay) plays a part in drving home that incredible voice.

He may be similar in style and genre to Ruben, but in my book he always wins out over Ruben, and yes... in part becuase of his effiminate ways, and his personality, and his sideways mouth, etc, etc.

NAABQ!

Femme

"We are men of action; lies do not become us."

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-30-03, 05:37 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
You *heart* everyone, you little hussy ... but seriously, I think Clay and Kim L are the best. I will however, vote AGAINST them once the final 3 is decided. That way, I get to see them both the full run of the season, but I will not bestow the hideous "Cookie Cutter" American Idol title upon them.

(right, like it's mine to give, but still...)

Poor Kelly... can you imagine if they did that to Clay? He would look hideous in 50's hair!

04-30-03, 05:58 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
Woo-hoo! I *heart* Femme!

Please Clay, don't listen to Simon... don't remove so much of your personality that you become bland and lifeless! We love you, crooked mouth, purple lipgloss, and all!

I_AM_SHOCKED 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-30-03, 09:56 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
so please explain why Josh Gratin is still there.

Connie E 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-01-03, 11:09 AM (EST)
24. "Why is Josh still there? Here's what I think....."
and I probably wouldn't have thought it if it had not been for Larry's post here, so thanks, Larry.

For a performer to be as blatently BAD as Josh has continually been, and yet to not even be in the bottom TWO this week speaks volumes to me. And they're ugly volumes, too.

Josh is getting the gay-bashers vote, the people who see Clay as a "threat" to their safe little lives, and have labeled him as something that's none of their business in the first place.

He's also getting the vote of the segment of the population who "ain't going to vote for no damned Black person (insert the N word here, I hate writing it), no way".

Good old fashioned prejudice, still crazy, after all these years, to quote Paul Simon.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. I'd like to be. I'm a sad little mama today.

05-01-03, 02:48 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Why is Josh still there? Here's what I think....."
LAST EDITED ON 05-01-03 AT 02:50 PM (EST)

you are not wrong. Unfortunately.

I see Kim going next week...because Ruebens fans will be energized and Ternyce fans will be pissed.

I see rueben going in two weeks...because lets face it Clay fans will punch those keys and Josh fans, well we already know they do based on his actually surviving the first episode.

unless the producers manipulate the vote to get rid of the fatassednotalentsalamineckedturnipdressedsmallcraniumed-sneakerwearingconstructionworkercrackbearing-iplayamarineontvbutidon'tactuallyfightlikeone-sovoteformecauseyoulovethisherecountrybumpkinidiot.

I see a white on white competition for the final two. One who can't act right (supposedly), and one who can't sing alright! (scientific fact).

And except for one thing, the black vote which may completely dissappear if both kim and rueb go, clay may just be upset by the vomitusmediocrituspainusinmyanus Josh Gratinonmylastrawnerve.

dumbrit 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-01-03, 04:36 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Why is Josh still there? Here's what I think....."
No I believe you are right. But i don't think people are strategic in voting off the blacks and gays its just inherent in society. AI1 bought it home for me when Nikki out stayed Tamyra. I still feel gutted that we didn't see a Tamyra v Kelly final.
Josh was exceptionally bad last week, but who could write a better script for him, father and marine corps and white, if i was marketing him, who cares if he can sing?

04-30-03, 05:53 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
I honestly never expected so much response to this post, and I'm glad I got people thinking, which was my main goal. Great to hear from my supporters, of course... but also important to hear from those who won't be voting for Clay. To those who find him dull, fake, or grating... I defend your right to your opinion. (He has certainly at times been all of those things.)

Mostly, it's just good to hear that so many people are basing their opinions of Clay (good or bad) on things other than his perceived sexuality.

realityluver also appears to be looking past Ruben's image-issues as well when forming his opinion of Ruben. While I stand by my point that Ruben's weight is unhealthy and no doubt effects his performing, I will also add that my opinion may indeed be colored by anti-obese-bias.

And drawde236's point that it may be better (careerwise) for Clay to lose this competition is certainly valid... I'll keep voting for him, though. I'd prefer not to see him Tamyra'd, (even though being Tamyra'd seemed to work out okay for Tamyra.)

I guess after last-night's show, where the judges were basically favorable to everyone (except Josh) the responsibility has been handed to the voters. After Josh goes, anything could happen, really. I just hope the voters are as intelligent and open-minded as the residents of this board! (I'm such a brown-noser!)

BriarRosie 990 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-30-03, 06:14 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
> I just hope the
>voters are as intelligent and
>open-minded as the residents of
>this board! (I'm such
>a brown-noser!)
>

Gee, Larry, any browner and I'll have to start calling you
Eddie Haskell! "Gee Mrs. Cleaver..."

I am in agreement with your sentiments. It doesn't matter what
Clay's sexuality is (or isn't), he's just one damned fined singer.

Lori

Survivor: Adventurers Club
Outdrink, Outlaugh, Outkungaloosh!

PrettyInPink 85 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-03, 04:02 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
LAST EDITED ON 05-01-03 AT 04:06 PM (EST)

I worship and adore the ground that Clay Aiken and his backward feet walk on - but I mostly adore him because of his gorgeous voice, which makes me "EEEEE!!!!" like a huge fan-girl when he hits the big notes!

Is he gay or straight? I dunno. I don't care. I just know that when the tall skinny redheaded geek with the glasses walked out into that audition in Atlanta and said he was the next American Idol, I snickered. And then, quite simply, he opened his mouth and sang. To say I sat up so fast I nearly fell off the sofa would be an understatement! Since then, I've been watching and listening to that golden voice every week.

I never noticed any overly effeminate mannerisms, just that kind of endearing geekiness I saw in Atlanta. They can put contacts in his eyes and mousse his hair, but they can't polish all the nerd out of him, which is what I love about him as well. But for people to not vote for him because they think he acts "gayish"? That's just one of the worst kinds of prejudice I can think of. If he is gay, who cares? Is he any less of a singer? Tuesday night when he was singing, I was squealing like a 12 year old over his voice, not whether or not his mannerisms were okay or not.

Larry, this was a wonderful and thoughtful post for you to put up! Could be many people are voting due to thoughts they may not realize. If you made them think, or made them admit that to themselves, than bravo!

Edit for something else to consider... Two singers who's voices I adore were closeted in the past and came out later - Elton John and George Michael. Now this may be presumptuous of me to say, being a straight woman, but I for one never even blinked when they came out. It didn't change my opinion of them or their glorious voices at all. If Clay is gay, I'd hope and pray the same transition for him! Also, people have been speculating about Barry Manilow's sexuality for *years* - but that voice!!! Oh, Barry baby, my eyes get all misty over Barry and that incredible voice of his!

Okay, that's all for now!

"His name is Blane??? That's a major appliance, that's not a name!!"

dumbrit 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-03, 04:31 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
The fact that the public votes takes AI beyond a "singing contest". The public always votes for the stars, normally by buying the album/single but this time by a phone vote. Clay is a great singer, no doubt, but from day one he didn't appeal to me and only because i have a personal dislike of the trait of mouthing "I thank you" with the tongue an inch between the teeth, dumb may be, but thats just me and i can't see the voice from the tongue, and if i interpreted this another way, may be he is just a little too camp for me. Gay in itself wont stop a contestant from winning as UK idols showed! I'm not convinced the same is true for being Black.

05-01-03, 07:47 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
but the voting system is skewed. Hillbilly Bob can vote 1000 times for henrietta hippo, but he can maybe afford to only buy one album of hers. Not 1000.

THats why one vote system would be better.

Ofcourse it would be pathetic when the host sparky, tells us that only five hundred thousand people voted...lol

with the rabid fanbase calling in an average of 50 times each, its easy to see how they come up with 25 million voters.

divaliving 1 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-03, 05:27 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Gay Idol Journal... an Opinion"
hey Larry ...
I know I came to this posting kinda late (just found it today, even though I've read a bit of your stuff before), but I wanted to tell you that I agree wholeheartedly with EVERYTHING you said.

I don't know if you're ever seen the Jimmy Kimmel Show on ABC Late Night, but I was flipping the channels on Weds. night (5/14) before bed, and they showed the clip of Clay landing at the Durham Bulls stadium in the helicopter. Not only did they make fun of the way his voice goes up when he says "The helicopters goin' down!" but they also played the part of Clay throwing out the first pitch in slooooow motion to make fun of his "girlie" pitch. Then, Jimmy made a tasteless joke about Clay "being a catcher -- not a pitcher!". I just about through my friggin' remote through the TV, yo.

it's overblown frat boys like Jimmy Kimmel who perpetuate this crazy homophobia that still exists in 2003 America! I swear, it's like the last "okay" thing for people to make fun of.

anyway, I love Clay with all my heart and soul. I don't give a flying patootie which team he bats for -- all I care about is that he's a warm and witty human being with a FABULOUS voice. And that's all there is to it. ;)

yours,
{courtney/divaliving}

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •