The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Mole General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-05-03, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
LAST EDITED ON 02-05-03 AT 08:03 PM (EST)

Hi everyone,
I wish I had some info that would help spoil the ending tonight, but then I wouldn't be in this forum, would I?

But I want to share a few observations I made from visiting the locale of the shoot last night and talking to the staff.

I had been wanting to go down to the site, and since it was my wedding anniversary, we got to splurge on a dinner overlooking the beach, the one where they "surfed" and did the hula.

(The Beach House restaurant where we ate is outside seating and looks right down on the beach from the north. You can only see the gray roof on the photo...)

As you may know, the shooting headquarters were at the Orchid at Mauna Lani Hotel on the Big Island, in November or thereabouts, according to a waiter who was there. The hotel was bought by Fairmont in December and was originally the Ritz Carlton.

As one might expect from the Ritz, even the bathrooms are marble, and the dining room they rented to confer and hold executions, The Grill, has fabulous koa wood panelling. Very elegant. These celebs had some of THE BEST Hawaii has to offer.

The part where I was disappointed: our waiter had been here during the filming, but had no idea who the Mole was or who won. Fair to say he had no interest in that aspect and hasn't even watched the show.

I found this interesting thinking of Chill One's posts about what the hotel staff in Brazil observed of S6. It confirmed my feeling that while staff are intrigued by the presence of a TV shoot, and affected by it somewhat, unless they are fans they aren't that interested in the substance.

This hotel has had really famous movie stars stay there, so I suppose these "celebs" were pretty minor in comparison, as when I mentioned Kathy Griffin the waiter didn't even remember her.

So what did I come away with? I got to see how well the shoot masked all the activity going on around it. The beach there is one of the most beautiful and serene on the island but it's tiny, and serves a large hotel that charges 300-2000 a night, and I wondered if they would close the beach.

The waiter said no, they shot early in the morning while guests were eating breakfast up on the terrace overlooking the shoot, and at other quiet times. Also, just out of the shots is a big hotel complex, and they did a good job of making the feel secluded. They did close down the one indoor restaurant and rent it to them, but kept the signature outdoor dining room open.

The surfing they did--well, this little beach is one of the calmest on the island, and one of the only places with a little calm lagoon on the water. Not typical Hawaii, and the sand there is not Big Island sand, which is coarse. They brought in sugary white sand from Molokai on barges. So the look of the beach there reinforces an illusion of the beaches (white sand and calm water) that I only wish were true.

The rocks are indeed vicious there, though, and I couldn't blame Kathy for complaining about a scrape. They hurt. And WHY they would torture anyone with wearing a wet suit in 90 degree temperatures is beyond me. Nobody wears wet suits except people doing depth diving.

The waiter said everyone at the hotel got a good laugh at the fake hot lava in Puako...

and I groaned last week when they transported them to "the other side of the island"--instead they drove to Kailua, the closest town. It was funny seeing them run through Kailua--if you've never been there, it is so friggin hot and the air makes me cough from all the volcano gases piling up there. That's where they do the Ironman run, in part, and I sure wouldn't run there.

So, all in all, the entire show only travelled from Waipio Valley to Kailua, maybe a quarter of the island's circumference. I guess the celebs had massages scheduled or something...

Only other thing to report is that my son saw Baldwin jogging on the highway a couple days ago as my son drove to work (at a spot about 5 miles north of the hotel where they shot). Baldwin was his favorite, so he was stoked.

Curious. Maybe he liked it here?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... Femme 02-05-03 1
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... PepeLePew13 02-06-03 2
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... Q 02-06-03 3
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... SurvivinDawg 02-06-03 4
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... Ahtumbreez 02-06-03 5
 RE: Touring the shoot location--sad... skyehawk 02-10-03 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-05-03, 10:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
How neat OFG, but, really... wedding anniversary, schmedding anniversary. Sounds like you need a girlfriend to hang out with. I'd gladly volunteer to do my part! *hops on a plane to Hawaii*

This is so neat, tho, I love this "behind the scenes stuff".

Femme
"I shall no longer play the field; the field stinks, both economically and socially."

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-03, 06:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
*waving at OFG*

Interesting info, OFG! Maybe if you offered the waiter a nice, fat tip, he'd suddenly have remembered a few more details about what went down...

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-06-03, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Q Click to send private message to Q Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
Thanks for the info OFG. I am jealous that you can even visit such places without a 12 hour flight. But oh well, thems the breaks.

It is astonishing how foolish humans can be in groups, especially when they follow their leaders without question - States: The Bene Gesserit View. All States Are an Abstraction.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-03, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
Thanks for the info, OFG.

P.S. You needs to check your mail more often *hint hint*

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-03, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
Can you say jealous, yes, I am jealous OFG! Hope you had a great anniversary.

(c) 2003 GeorgiaBelle Creations,Inc. All rights reserved

skyehawk 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-10-03, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skyehawk Click to send private message to skyehawk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Touring the shoot location--sadly, no spoilers"
Awesome photo!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •