The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Mole General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-16-03, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-03 AT 05:20 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 01-17-03 AT 00:57 AM (EST)

hey, your Big Island Mole-watcher here...

I have to agree with sittem that the hot lava challenge was awfully bogus, and even "vent" a little more on why.

First, they are on an island where lava is actually flowing at a point accessible to the public, but of course they won't take the celebs over there.

So instead, they stage lava at a location about as far as you can get on the island from the actual lava. They shoot in Puako, on top of an old lava flow (so that's real), and then they heat up portions with I don't know what, BBQ coals and lighter fluid?

Of course, Puako Bay does have one big production asset: it's about the closest shoreline north of the multi-million dollar resort the celebs are staying in. Poor things.

I wanted to share some pics of the actual lava flow, taken by me this September. You can see by the girl standing so close that you can get pretty near it, but the temp around it is furnace-like and the sulphur fumes are so intense you need to breathe through a hanky (or in my unprepared case, my sleeve).

And ROFLMAO at the idea you could walk on that black crust. It would eat your foot in a millisecond. An experienced photographer got too close this year, a new shelf collapsed on him and he fell into the flow. He was GONE in seconds.

They should have put a "don't try this at home kids" disclaimer on it.

Photos: (I apologize for the white frames. I cropped the photos so they wouldn't be too big and somehow didn't lose the borders. Sorry, don't have time to re-do!

That stuff is HOT and it spits chunks without warning! I'm not really surprised they didn't do a real challenge with it, but it bugged me that they had to set up something so fake and not admit it was staged.

I didn't find it suspicious that Corbin couldn't fly in the bi-plane. They do have horrendous winds in Waimea that can come up really fast.

The Grave-digging scene

The Mole producers REALLY insulted the local beliefs with that challenge. I cannot overstate how incredibly sacred burial grounds are to the Hawaiians.

The Hawaiian court recently stopped a multi-million dollar development from progressing because the developers had failed to properly deal with the issue that there are bones on the land. Also, a major hotel in the same area near the Burial Grounds is slated to be razed to the ground because it was discovered to be an ancient burial site.

Lekeleke Burial Grounds are in the area they were filming;
Lekeleke Bay is where Erik jumped off the cliffs. I wonder if they staged the burial at Lekeleke Burial Grounds:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/sites/lekeleke_burial_grounds.html

it's hard to imagine they would have gotten permission to use the actual site and enact even a fake digging up of bones. The Hawaiians believe the ghost of the bones will be angry and haunt the person who disturbs their bones, and probably cause the person some very bad luck or death.

I was recently told a bunch of these stories by a perfectly modern young woman who works at Radio Shack, so it's not some superstition that only lives among the Elders.

Come to think of it, the show made light of the power of Pele, goddess of the volcano too. Pele is very vindictive.

Hmm, well now I see why the studio caught on fire and the tapes got flooded!

"your pattern is different than what it implies
the words may be true, but I realize--it isn't description so much as disguise"

Edited out typo: "deserves" their bones. Sheesh!
*waves at Roni and Asrai*

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc Asrai 01-17-03 1
 RE: Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc Ronnet 01-17-03 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-17-03, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc"
I was thinking the same thing about the lava. Sure, don't really let them walk on the actual 'hot stuff'. But at least treat us like the smart peeps that we are by giving that disclaimer.

The part that really bothered me was the grave digging scene. While it was very funny with Kathy's ranting, I was wondering what the locals were thinking after watching that episode. I guess we'll find out if they were at the actual burial grounds (or any, for that matter) if Erik and Kathy's careers go down the drain.

Oh, wait, Kathy's is already there! Heehee! Great pics, OFG!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Ronnet 1734 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-17-03, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ronnet Click to send private message to Ronnet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Bogus Lava Flow and Hawaii misc"
>Hmm, well now I see why
>the studio caught on fire
>and the tapes got flooded!
>

LOL!

Thanks for the pictures insights and giggles!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •