The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why Did ABC Originally Kill The Series Off???"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Mole General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-01-02, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why Did ABC Originally Kill The Series Off???"
This may have been discussed before off and on, but why in the world would ABC kill the series off when they first showed it? Yes, the ratings were low....but, if the network had hopes of the ratings rising (perhaps a surprise Mole), then they might have kept the series going. Maybe they couldn't find any other programming, and didn't feel like paying any more people, so they decided to show the Mole shows over even though they thought ratings would be low? If Bill is the Mole, then I can see why ABC would want to kill it off originally, because it is painfully obvious that he looks like the prime suspect. Perhaps ABC wanted the producers to add more clues for other players into the episodes? I have no earthly idea, I actually only started watching it when it began to re-air, so if I can get help or confirmation of another thought, please care to do so.

But, my only question is......did ABC think this was a boring series, because of Bill being the Mole, and decided to kill it off?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why Did ABC Originally Kill The... cyclehausen 08-01-02 1
   RE: Why Did ABC Originally Kill The... skyehawk 08-05-02 2
       Turnover at ABC flying squirrel 08-06-02 6
 Bad Ratings... sleeeve 08-05-02 3
   RE: Bad Ratings... SurvivorBlows 08-05-02 4
 RE: How are the ratings for Mole NO... aquarius 08-06-02 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-01-02, 11:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why Did ABC Originally Kill The Series Off???"
Ratings were hideous originally because ABC moved the series to Friday night, the night where its target audience is least likely to watch television. In addition, the series began running in September 2001 shortly after the WTC incident. After that, all non-news oriented programs suffered in ratings. Long story short, there was no audience, it was a lousy night to move it to.

ABC had a full schedule already, so they replaced Mole 2 with America's funniest home vids for the small children-over 50 crowd which are MOST likely to watch tv on a friday nite.) They pulled Mole 2 hoping to boost its ratings in the face of summer re-runs.

And it worked.

I'm sure they tweaked some editing in the 10 monts of down time, but I certainly don't think they changed who the Mole is. Something they certainly could have done is inserted clues about the outcome (including the winner) as far back as the re-airing of episode 1.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

skyehawk 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-05-02, 01:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail skyehawk Click to send private message to skyehawk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why Did ABC Originally Kill The Series Off???"
the series began running
>in September 2001 shortly after
>the WTC incident. After
>that, all non-news oriented programs
>suffered in ratings. Long
>story short, there was no
>audience, it was a lousy
>night to move it to.

Cycle, I agree. Timing seemed to be a key reason for pulling the show in September. Most Americans were glued to CNN sucking up any new bit of information that they could. Although frustrating at first, it was a good call. Being an old lady, I probably would not have had the energy to tear apart each ep during that time period.

flying squirrel 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-06-02, 08:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flying%20squirrel Click to send private message to flying%20squirrel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Turnover at ABC"
ABC has been a disaster -- and so most of the senior programming executives turned over in early 2001. The new people brought us such winners as "Bob Patterson." Since they knew their future would be determined by whether these shows succeeded or failed, they wanted to make sure that their shows got the best time slots possible. "The Mole 2" was a holdover show that had been brought to us by the previous crew. Plus, it was one of the few shows on the network that wasn't produced by Disney's TV arm, Touchstone Television. ABC gave it a bad time slot because they didn't want to put one of their (or Disney's) babies into the "slot of death" on Friday nights.

Forward to early 2002 -- the new programming people were fired. The Touchstone TV shows were gone. There was nothing left to lose. So ... back came "Mole 2."

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-05-02, 01:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Bad Ratings..."
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-02 AT 01:48 AM (EST)

To give you an idea of what the ratings were like... here's our episode two vote thread:
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=227&forum=DCForumID11&archive=yes

Episode three was even more dismal... only two votes for that ep.

For the record... of the original three episodes that aired in the fall, this was our biggest vote thread turn-out of them all.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-05-02, 01:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Bad Ratings..."
Now you can see how we never needed more than one forum before

-SB

aquarius 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-06-02, 08:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquarius Click to send private message to aquarius Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How are the ratings for Mole NOW? "
How are the ratings for the show now? Maybe if ABC did like the eliminated players from "Survivor" and have them appear on an AM talk show, there would be more publicity and interest generated in a "Mole 3"!??...If there is a "Big Brother 3", there SHOULD be a Mole 3, cause BB3 is THE WORST !

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •