The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

garyc 118 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-11-12, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garyc Click to send private message to garyc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender?"
Just wondering; in Amazon tribes were divided by gender and the women had a strong season and the winner. Same this year, though to an even greater extent. Was trying to figure out if being on a tribe of all women makes it easier for strong women to emerge the way Kim has this season? She is anything but playing under the radar the way some of the female winners of the past have been. Can't remember if the season Chris also began with gender divided tribes? If so, yet another strong season for women, with Ami one of the stronger female players.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do women do better when tribes ... Belle Book 05-11-12 1
   RE: Do women do better when tribes ... iltarion 05-11-12 2
 RE: Do women do better when tribes ... michel 05-12-12 3
 RE: Do women do better when tribes ... Aruba 05-12-12 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-11-12, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-12 AT 09:31 PM (EST)

As a matter of fact, Vanuatu (the season Chris won) was a season which had a gender-divided tribe. It was also a strong season for the women, although that was partly diffused by the fact that the women fell apart after getting rid of all the men except Chris.

Amazon also had a fairly strong season for the women, only this time with a female winner. But One World is even more of a "girl power" season thanks to Kim. I think having a tribe of all women is more conductive to the emergence of strong women but strong women can emerge without a tribe of all women. After all, Fans vs. Favorites had an all-female alliance and the alliance made the Final 4 with Parvati winning!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-12, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-12 AT 11:34 AM (EST)

The men had the majority at merge in Amazon. They also were 3 of the F4. Jenna had to win the last two ICs to make FTC.

Few would mistake her as a strong woman.

The women had the majority at merge in Vanuatu, but failed to finish the job.

The men and women were even at merge this season, but that was only after 1) the men forfeited immunity and 2) Colton was medivac'd.

A woman will win this season.

So, in 3 seasons divided by gender, the men essentially had the majority at merge twice while the women will win twice. Since we are talking about 3 seasons, it is impossible for each gender to have won an equal number of times; someone would have to have won more than the other.

In other words, it is statistically insignificant.

Of course, this is not counting Exile Island, which was also separated by gender at the start. A man won that season.

Kim is a strong woman, but she is not a tribe leader. This is a damn tough game to win from the front. She has avoided that intentionally.

I would say all-women tribes force women to bond with each other instead of with men. That may give stronger women a better chance of advancing far. Maybe.

>

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-12-12, 02:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender? No"
There are too many variables and not enough data to make an accurate assesment. We had 4 seasons with gender splits: Amazon, Vanuatu, Exile Island and One World. When OW ends, we will have had 2 men and 2 women winning these seasons.

All we can say is that dividing the tribes by gender gives extra motivation to the women while the men don't feel the need to keep their strongest. Therefore, I wouldn't say that they do better but that they receive a motivational advantage.

This reminds me of when Survivor was culturally significant and psychology books were being written about it. One such book held the theory that Survivor was made for women. It was after season 8; women had won 5 of the 8 games and a case was made that Ethan had played a feminine game in order to win, following the dominant male, Lex. Then the men went on to win 6 of the next 7 seasons!!!!

Aruba 1891 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-12-12, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do women do better when tribes are divided by gender?"
I'll have to chime in with the others and say historically a gender divide does not necessarily benefit one over the other. The only footnote I would add is it's a major disadvantage for the strong males and usually results in the Anti-Darwin Syndrome to run rampant early on in the game.

The only divide that has been proven to matter in Survivor (and other Reality Shows) is AGE. Race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc. had never been strong deciding factors in the overall outcome of any season.

As with all seasons, in the end it comes down to casting. Gender divide may play a part if casting chauvinistic pigs like Roger (Amazon), femi-nazis like Deanna (Amazon) or quintessential male-bashers like Ami (Vanuatu)...not surprisingly ALL casted in a season that DID have the gender split; but they have been more the exception than the norm.

As for this season, the gender split would have not been anywhere near the factor it was if they did not cast Colton and incorporated the most one-sided twist in my opinion by forcing the finder of the HII to place it in another tribemate's (duh...Colton's) lap. This created a fracture in the Manono tribe from which they did not rebound.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •