The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How would you play Survivor?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-16-11, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How would you play Survivor?"
Would you take Rob's approach and view it as a game separate from life? Or would you take the approach of many Survivors and see the game as a reflection of who you truly are morally, ethically, etc.?

I've thought a lot about this. If I were to play Survivor, it would be a struggle, but I think I would play it like a game. Anything would be fair game as long as wasn't against the rules. That's not how I live my life, so I probably wouldn't succeed in the strategy, but that's how I think I would play.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How would you play Survivor? Travel_Queen 05-16-11 1
 RE: How would you play Survivor? michel 05-16-11 2
   RE: How would you play Survivor? iltarion 05-16-11 9
       RE: How would you play Survivor? michel 05-16-11 11
 RE: How would you play Survivor? byoffer 05-16-11 3
 I already took eight months going o... Estee 05-16-11 4
   RE: I already took eight months goi... Belle Book 05-16-11 5
       RE: I already took eight months goi... Estee 05-16-11 6
           RE: I already took eight months goi... iltarion 05-16-11 8
               Lies are Necessary michel 05-16-11 12
                   RE: Lies are Necessary iltarion 05-17-11 13
                       RE: Lies are Necessary michel 05-17-11 15
                           RE: Lies are Necessary iltarion 05-17-11 17
                               RE: Lies are Necessary michel 05-17-11 18
                                   RE: Lies are Necessary iltarion 05-17-11 21
           RE: I already took eight months goi... Belle Book 05-16-11 10
 RE: How would you play Survivor? garyc 05-16-11 7
   RE: How would you play Survivor? NedraSue 05-17-11 16
 RE: How would you play Survivor? Jims02 05-17-11 19
   RE: How would you play Survivor? iltarion 05-17-11 20
 RE: How would you play Survivor? dabo 05-19-11 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Travel_Queen 138 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-16-11, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Travel_Queen Click to send private message to Travel_Queen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
As a first time player, I think it would be hard to say. Going in, I would totally say I'm going to approach it as a game, make alliances and not friendships, say things that were untrue but within the context of the game and not make it personal. But it's hard to say what one ends up doing when they are in those elements, hungry, dirty and being around people who may get on your nerves.

Rob had the advantage definitely of how to handle the elements and maybe even the hunger (he came out much heavier and obviously packed on the fat on purpose), but the people you get on your tribe is the wild card..so you don't know if you end up really bonding with someone, and that part I think would make it hard for me to not be myself. Rob was able to separate the friendshp he made with Grant and the game; Grant being a newbie was not.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-11, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
I'd like to play it like Earl: Get to know everyone, not waste a single opportunity to make a friend, try to put myself in a position of consultant to whoever wants to be in charge but always analyze who is trustworthy, who is a snake. Then, when I have the numbers on my side, I'd strike at the snakes.

I wouldn't have a problem with integrity because that is irrelevant. I would never hit anyone in real life but if I were in a boxing arena then I'd have to. Respect is what matters and I'd respect my opponents but I'd want to keep in mind that they are trying to win also. Like Todd said, the friendships would be real but what happens in the game is the game.

I've played a few on-line games and my main problem has been that I trust people a bit too long. I'd hope that being able to observe people would make it easier but I have never won any of those games. I was voted out at F3 once but I never made the merge with numbers.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-16-11, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"

Sounds like a good plan. EXCEPT, without a racial alliance to fall back on, such a poor pre-merge performance would likely get you booted immediately postmerge.

>

05-16-11, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
Earl's alliance was up 7-3 at the merge. There was absolutely no way he was going home.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-11, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
In my pink undies!!

F3 still pays a bunch, right?

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-11, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "I already took eight months going over this."
In summary:

Give no one your full trust, always look for the ulterior motive because it's got to be a setup, try to figure out what others are doing before they do it to you, and whatever happens, don't start feeling. It's not personal, after all. You were just there to be attacked. Happens all the time.

Pick strategic points to strike, don't display power unless there's no other choice, never be arrogant, glide for short periods if it's at all possible, and always watch your back.

Oh, and go through the rulebook and every challenge description as if the smallest loophole would let you save your life. Then, whenever possible, dive through it.

(Not necessarily my play, but I've been told it works.)

I'm a casting lock for the VH1 show of my choice. CBS, not so much.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-16-11, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I already took eight months going over this."
That's pretty much what your character Alex did in your fanfic.

If I applied and got on, I'd start out by telling myself that lying is part of the game. Once I got there, I'd try to get myself into two mini-alliances within a larger one and set myself up as the person who's in between and then I'd take it from there.

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-11, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I already took eight months going over this."
I'd try to get myself into two mini-alliances within a larger one and set myself up as the person who's in between

So basically (for example) two blocks of three within a group of five, and you're the third person in each block? That's risky -- the cliques tend to keep an eye on each other and make note of who's been spending how much time talking to the other side. You'd have to work with serious stealth to keep a double agent position under the radar, and all it takes to blow things up is for someone in a mini-block to consider jumping ship and start scouting the other side. '..what do you mean, 'she's been with us all along'?'

05-16-11, 09:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: I already took eight months going over this."

I wouldn't lie. For one thing, like Amanda, I'm not very good at it. Secondly, I don't believe it is necessary to win. Rob, far from the JFP the jury painted him as, essentially lied to two people- Grant and Ashley. Both of which could have been avoided. Grant was in no position to contest his ouster. Rob had immunity when they booted Ashley. He could have told her straight out she was going. No threat to him.

Lies are typically the path of least resistance. They can be usually pretty easily avoided, with merely the right twist of words. I believe deception is part of the game, and I wouldn't have a problem with that. But deception can be done without outright lies. It just takes more thought.

I have always said players like JFP and Russell who are willing to forego all rules to win show a LACK of mental aptitude. They have to play dirtier than everyone else because they CAN'T win otherwise. In other words, they need the advantage the morality of others provides them. Without it, they are clueless.

I believe I would mostly play it by ear. Keep my mouth shut at first, until I felt I had some respect. Pay attention to the dynamics and give the tribe whatever it needed, whether it was a leader or a follower. I would be straight with people, as much as possible, and hope that would lead to trust. I would avoid the typical pitfalls of Survivor and remain humble within the game. Yes, Rob might have gone overboard in some of his confessionals, likely for comedic effect, but he always remained aware that his game could end in one bad move or break.

Essentially I would be myself. I personally think I am an entertaining enough guy that I wouldn't have to become a caricature to get screen time.

>

05-16-11, 09:58 PM (EST)
12. "Lies are Necessary"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-11 AT 10:00 PM (EST)

Did you not hear what Rob said? At one point, everyone thought they were going to the end with him. Those were the lies, not just what he said the day he voted out Grant and Ashley. He played a 38 day "long con" with those 2.
But that wasn't all:

- Andrea thought he was her big brother. Was it magical thinking or was it because he led her to feel secure with words he didn't mean.
- Matt confessed his thoughts of betrayal and Rob shook his hand, thanking him for his honesty. Rob certainly needed for Matt to believe his handshake was sincere because Matt had an escape route.
-Even his buddy system was presented to his allies as a way to keep the other tribe away but it was done so that Zap would hate the Omes. It worked when we heard that they thought Natalie was creepy.
- He lied to Natalie when he told her he was giving her FTC pointers because he told us he wanted her to say things that would help him.

No one, not even Tom or Yul, played and won without lies. It cannot be done.

05-17-11, 01:58 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Lies are Necessary"

I think we have had this discussion before. I am delineating between outright lies and merely being dishonest. You can say it is splitting hairs, perhaps, but it makes a difference to me.

For instance, if Rob always told Grant he was F3, planning to boot Ashley at F5 and Natalie at F4, but Ashley wins immunity at F5, whereupon Rob boots Grant, I don't consider that constituting a lie. I consider that a change of plans. Plans change. If you tell me you are stopping by for a drink, but then a good friend shows up and delays you, did you lie to me? No. Plans change.

You can easily befriend someone, make a connection, earn their trust and even form a special bond without lying about the end game. I doubt Rob promised anyone outside of Grant, Ashley, Phillip, and Natalie a trip to the F3, which is why I say he likely only lied to Grant and Ashley. And even if he did, I would consider those promises broken, not lies.

An outright lie has essentially no element of time. It is a lie at the moment it is said. It does not BECOME a lie, So, Rob may have made promises to Andrea that he didn't keep, but I consider those promises broken, not lies.

If I played, I would have no problem telling someone I was taking them to the F3 and then booting them at F5. I wouldn't consider that a lie. It was a promise unkept or a change in plans. However, if they asked me at F5 if they were going home, I would find a way around the question, just not answer it, or tell the truth. I wouldn't just lie to their face.

So, yeah, I accept a certain amount of dishonesty and deception within the game, but I don't accept lying. Lying SUX.

>

05-17-11, 12:48 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Lies are Necessary"
"I accept a certain amount of dishonesty and deception within the game"

That is the way the game works but I think this is the first time you've stated so directly.

But the conversation about splitting hairs was also shared by Terry and Nick. Terry said he didn't shake Ruth's hand so the promise he made to her didn't mean anything. Nick called it hollow rationalization.

I do like the "It is a lie at the moment it is said. It does not BECOME a lie" argument however. It sounds true but it falls short when you consider he said the same to everyone. The F3 cannot contain 6 people so, yes, Rob knew when he said it that he was lying. He may not have known to which player he was lying but he had to be lying to someone!

If I tell you and 4 other friends that I am stopping by each of your place at the same time but then wait at the last moment to choose which invitation I prefer, then yes, I did lie when I accepted all those invitations. And some promises are more important than others: How would you feel if I promised to pick you up at the airport but cancelled last minute because a good friend invited me for a drink. Would you shrug it off as change of plans?

Anyway, it seemed that Grant was most upset after seeing Rob on TV switching the idol clues. That was a blatant lie.

05-17-11, 04:11 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Lies are Necessary"

"If I tell you and 4 other friends that I am stopping by each of your place at the same time but then wait at the last moment to choose which invitation I prefer, then yes, I did lie when I accepted all those invitations."

I wouldn't consider that lying. At the time you accepted my invitation, you didn't KNOW that you wouldn't be picking mine. You have to first know the truth in order to lie. What you are referring to there- non-full disclosure - I consider that being dishonest, true, but not outright lying. Again, I accept dishonesty as part of the game, but I believe most lies as being avoidable. Natalie lied to Ashley when Ashley asked her if she was in trouble before TC at F4. Natalie KNEW Ashley was going home when she told her there was no trouble. Why lie? What could Ashley have done if she told her the truth? Rather than lying, Natalie could have simply said that Rob and Phillip were going to vote for Ashley (true), and that she was still deciding whether to vote for Phillip or take the safe route and vote for Ashley. Ashley still would have been upset by Natalie voting for her, but it would have been mitigated by Natalie at least being honest about it. Natalie might have gotten Ashley's vote, not that it would have mattered.

>

05-17-11, 04:43 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Lies are Necessary"
Or Ashley could have gone to Rob, telling him that Natalie had told her his secret and Rob could have turned the vote on Natalie. I know, at that particular stage of the game it was unlikely, but still, that's why people lie: Self-preservation. Anyway, Natalie's lie was dumb; I was talking about the web of lies, or dishonesty if you prefer, that Rob spun. Switching the idol clue, presenting the old clue as if it was the new one, that was a lie, right?

As for the drink invitation, how do you know yours was the first I received? But hey! I'll have that drink! Cheers, old friend!

05-17-11, 08:46 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Lies are Necessary"

No, for Grant it WAS a new clue. Sounds like deception to me. I'd have to watch it again to see if actual lies were involved.

And actually, it just occurred to me, where the heck has Aruba been??

>

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-16-11, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: I already took eight months going over this."
True, but there's a way around it -- tell both cliques that you're only pretending to be with the other one. That should keep the heat off of me enough for me to decide which side I should stay with -- which hopefully shouldn't take long.

garyc 118 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-11, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garyc Click to send private message to garyc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-11 AT 07:59 PM (EST)

Most likely ineptly. At least when it came to strategizing. I'm not social enough. Tribe would probably keep me around a while for hard work and fitness unless they bounce me early because of age.

More like Rob or Grant? More like Grant.

NedraSue 107 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-11, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NedraSue Click to send private message to NedraSue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
I think the most difficult thing in this game, is what happens in confessionals...I think that the reason why Grant still was so upset, was because they JUST WATCHED the final 2 hours when Rob hurt him...he didn't know any of that until we saw it.

I would have a very hard time not seeming like Philip or Natalie...I think one minute my game play would be both...rather goofy and trying to be everyone's mom.

The one thing that the past couple of #2 player winners did that Natalie didn't do...she didn't allow the jury to know that she did exactly what she set out to do...put her self with the strongest team player and help him with the best moves and not make any enemies...her youth...didn't know how to work the jury.

Other than Phillip calling Rob the MENTALIST and David making his brilliant closing argument. How could Rob not win?

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-11, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-11 AT 06:43 PM (EST)

I view Survivor mostly as a game separate from life, somewhat like playing a board game with friends. I realize that it is a tricky distinction, though, because instead of manipulating pieces around a board, you're manipulating people... So ethics do get a little involved.

Me and my friends play a lot of board/card games together. And, to be perfectly honest, some of those games do get a little, uh, ruthless. Is it unethical for me to build a bunch of hotels in Monopoly when I see players coming around the board? Sure, you might say it's mean-spirited, but it's part of the strategy of the game. In real life, I would most certainly show mercy because real life (unlike Survivor or Monopoly) isn't a zero-sum game.

Is it unethical for me to break a treaty in Risk? Yeah, probably, since then you're lying in a social sense. But, even still, lying is a bad strategy anyway. In game theory, there's a concept called the "kingmaker" where a 3rd place player who cannot win gets to decide which of the other players does win. And, in my Risk example, who do think that player is going to reward? The guy who broke his treaty? The guy who acted like a jerk the whole game? No way.

One of my friends in particular can never, ever win a board game because he seems so smug when he's in the lead (or, at least, I try to fuel that sentiment). So those games are basically me playing a solid 2nd-place kind of game waiting for one of my friends basically handing me the game by screwing him over. When he moved to California, it suddenly meant I had to win games on my own.

05-17-11, 07:43 PM (EST)
20. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"

Hahaha... I love the references to Monopoly and Risk. That is AWESOME. Haven't played Risk in over a decade. Only get to Monopoly against the kids now-a-days.

>

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-11, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: How would you play Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-11 AT 10:40 AM (EST)

For me it would be a matter of keeping your head. However much Survivor resembles a castaway situation, it really isn't, it is a game, and you have to play the hand (tribe) you're dealt. Take nothing personally, remember that everyone there is your competition, understand that the odds are always against you but it is a matter of taking it one day at a time, one Tribal cycle at a time. Everyone is entitled to play the game according to their own abilities, physical and mental, they all should be trying to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. It is ultimately a social game, and Final Tribal is usually a bitching contest or a popularity contest (or some combination).

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •