The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"hidden immunity idol is a joke"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

sportsjoe 61 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-01-10, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sportsjoe Click to send private message to sportsjoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"hidden immunity idol is a joke"
I just finished watching this week's episode and i'm really pissed off right now. If Survivor doesn't do anything about the way the hidden immunity idol is brought into the game, I may be done after this season. I hope anyone that is connected to production of Survivor reads this. The hidden immunity idol has become a big ##### joke! Number 1, they practically hand them the clue. Number 2, it is way too easy to find. Number 3 it has changed the dynamic of the game to something ##### silly, where people do stupid ##### like JT and Candice. The way this all stars episode has gone done is ridiculous. They aren't playing like all stars. They're playing like 1st timers. When they first introduced the idol, u had to have more than 1 clue to find it and it wasn't easy. It is such a joke right now. Either Russell is very smart at finding the idol or the rest of them for except Parvati is really stupid. My vote is the latter.

p.s. Candice is a ##### rat!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke SquidProQuo 05-02-10 1
   RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke LFJ 05-02-10 2
       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke BrassFan 05-03-10 3
           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke LFJ 05-03-10 4
               RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke iltarion 05-03-10 5
                   RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke michel 05-03-10 6
                       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke sportsjoe 05-04-10 7
                           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke michel 05-04-10 11
                               RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke sportsjoe 05-08-10 15
                       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke iltarion 05-04-10 8
                           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke PepeLePew13 05-07-10 12
                               RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke iltarion 05-08-10 13
                           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke sportsjoe 05-08-10 16
                               RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke BrassFan 05-10-10 21
                       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke Tublecane 05-04-10 10
                   RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke Tublecane 05-04-10 9
                       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke garcor 05-08-10 14
                           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke sportsjoe 05-08-10 17
                           RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke finallytyping 05-08-10 18
                               RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke garcor 05-08-10 19
                                   RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke finallytyping 05-08-10 20
                                       RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke BedfordRobbie 05-13-10 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SquidProQuo 2281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-02-10, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
>If Survivor doesn't do anything about
>the way the hidden immunity
>idol is brought into the
>game, I may be done
>after this season.

>Number 1,
>they practically hand them the
>clue. Number 2, it is
>way too easy to find.

Sportsjoe, there is hope. Jeff said in his EW blog this week that they are making some changes for next season:

"INSIGHT: Next season it will take more than just looking under a rock to find a hidden idol. I won’t give away what we’re doing, but in planning our creative for next season we coined a phrase, “The Russell Factor” and it influenced how we will play the hidden idol next season."

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-02-10, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
Russ has been production's Golden Child. Call me a cynic, but I don't think he just happens upon the idols. And, I think enough people have made negative comments about it. I hope they go back to leaving trails of clues, with perhaps no one finding the HII for several episodes. The only good thing about the HII, as far as I can tell, is that it leads to some surprise outcomes at the TCs. But since Russ has been around, it is a surprise if he doesn't have one.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-10, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
>Russ has been production's Golden Child.
> Call me a cynic,
>but I don't think he
>just happens upon the idols.
> And, I think enough
>people have made negative comments
>about it.

I really don't get this whole attitude that implies that Russell has been given any type of assistance in finding idols...

Let's look at the idols he found:

Samoa:

1) He finds an idol, without a clue at camp. Hidden idols being at each tribe's camp aren't something new. And it was hidden in a giant hole in the center of the biggest tree in the middle of the camp. Not exactly rocket science.

2) He finds an idol under the bridge. Ok, this one was a bit tricky. However, his logic made sense. The idol, if there was one, had to be hidden near some type of landmark....

3) He finds one hidden under a stone wall. This one, he had a clue, complete with a video showing the exact location. The same clue was given to the other people on his reward.

Heroes Vs. Villains

1) He finds an idol hidden at camp. The entire tribe was given a clue, and it spelled out exactly where it was.

2) He finds an idol at camp after merge. Danielle is given a clue that spelled out exactly where it was.

So, of the five idols he has found, one of them was questionable in that he didn't have a clue, and it wasn't hidden in the most obvious location.

I don't think there's any way that anyone is giving him assistance in finding the idols. I don't think that Russell finding the idols is even that big of a deal. The big deal with Russell and idols is how he uses them. Most people find an idol, tell one person in their alliance, and wait to use it until their neck is on the line. Russell on the other hand will do whatever he thinks is right. He will keep it secret, he will tell everyone, he will use it to threaten people, he will use it to save people. He doesn't care what he does with it, as long as it keeps his alliance strong and keeps him in the game.

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-10, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
You make some very valid points, but, as I said - call me a cynic...it is difficult to believe that out of all of the intelligent and agressive tribe members with whom Russ has been cast, he is the only one to be able to find HIIs with such ease. He nearly trips over them in some instances. Further, I agree he uses them, to some extent to keep his alliances alive, but only if the women kiss his feet (don't threaten him in any way, which is a FEAT, as he is a little man). I believe the HIIs also have the power to make him feel taller.

Anyway - it looks like the point is moot as the use of the HII is changing (Russell Factor?).

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-03-10, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"

Though the delivery may have been a little rough, I agree wholeheartedly that the HII has gotten out of control. We went from Terry and Yul being able to play theirs at any time to every TC having the possibility of having one played. They need to make them or the clues or both more difficult to find.

Through them, production has way too much control over the game.

Most of Galu believed Russell was being helped last season. This season, I'm still having a hard time swallowing Parvati taking the risk of making the stupidest move in Survivor history by handing away two HIIs and then being voted out. The explanation for it? She knew Amanda was lying to her? That is a pretty thin reason to take the chance of being associated with one of the dumbest moves ever. Someone HAD to say something to her. Even if it was another contestant. Someone told her what was going down.

>

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-03-10, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
To make a case about production telling Parvati how to use the idol, you'd have to provide their motivation. I'm pretty sure Burnett would have preferred to see the Heroes come out on top so why help her? Maybe you think she flirted with 1 staff member but then, forgetting a moment why someone would risk their job to help her, why did she waste an idol on Sandra? If she had been told, she would have known to give only 1 to Jerri.

No, Amanda told Parvati that she didn't need to use it for herself. Parvati could take the risk to give away her protection. Amanda's "use it to save yourself" was much too blatant a lie. She also told Parvati that Sandra was her target. So, if Amanda is lying, Parvati knew she had to protect Jerri and, on the off chance Amanda was still trying to play both sides, Parvati knew to protect Sandra.

About the original post that the idol is a joke, there is something to it but this idol was wasted. I've always had much more problems with Terry and Yul's idols. Those were jokes, especially the CI one. It made it so easy for Yul that I say he rode Burnett's coattails to victory.

05-04-10, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sportsjoe Click to send private message to sportsjoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
valid points by all here. unless we get info from someone that was there or in the know, we don't know everything that goes on there. it wouldn't surprise me if there was some kind of help for Parvati or Russell, or for in fact other seasons with questionable outcomes. they cheat in the Olympics, so why wouldn't a network influence something to make money or get higher ratings. after Amanda saw Danielle with the clue, wouldn't she or some other hero have followed her or Russell everywhere they went. I think Russell is one of the smartest to play the game, but some of the idols he found that no one else could makes you wonder. I think i'm more pissed off cuz I hate Russell and the way the heroes have played. I actually was rooting for Rob cuz I hate Russell so much lol.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-10, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
Amanda said Rupert was in charge of shadowing Danielle because he was their sasquatch, sorry, I mean their forest dweller. Apparently the Villains tricked him.

In the Olympics, one cheats to win. Why would CBS cheat to help Russell win over Rupert? Rupert is still, by far, the most popular. Having him in the finale would be great for ratings. It doesn't seem he's gotten any help.

05-08-10, 07:47 AM (EST)
15. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
good point Michel

05-04-10, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"

Though wasted at the end, this idol could still have been a factor if it helped Candice decide to go with the Villians. According to her, it was. As I have argued plenty of times though, she might have been just rationalizing the decision afterwards. Russell was talking to her about a flip to the Villians before he ever found the HII, and she seemed to be receptive.

At least Terry and Yul had to FIND their HIIs in the first place.

There would be no motivation for production to help Parvati beyond the fact that obviously they want the idols to be played so that they can be reinserted into the game and continue to be a factor. They also want bold moves, and obviously they played up the big move with the idols as being one. I would agree it is more likely that a player told Parvati the vote was between Sandra or Jerri. Likely Candice or Sandra.

There still has been no explanation for how Parvati knew more about Russell than anyone else in the game.

Parvati did not KNOW Amanda was lying. She THOUGHT she was. That is a distinction that is commonly lost nowadays in all things, including our media. Knowing someone is lying is saying, "Hey, you are wearing my shirt." And the reply being, "No, I'm not." Though the shirt they are wearing has your name on the back of it. Thinking someone is lying is saying, "Hey, you ate the last chocolate cookie." And the reply being, "No, I did not." Meanwhile, they have chocolate around their mouth. There is a slight difference there. A past winner with the ego of Parvati taking the chance of looking like a fool because she THINKS Amanda is lying? That is hard to believe.

>

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-10, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"

>There still has been no explanation
>for how Parvati knew more
>about Russell than anyone else
>in the game.

Parvati is close friends with Erika Shay, a 'Survivor' casting agent. I'd bet on Erika filling Parv in on all the details about Russhole before the current season was filmed.

05-08-10, 00:41 AM (EST)
13. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"

Now THERE'S an explanation.
Good info, Pepe. Appreciate it.

>

05-08-10, 07:50 AM (EST)
16. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
in the interview with Candice and Danielle, they both refused to answer that question about Parvati having some kind of interaction with Russell before the season taped. so you know what that means.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-10, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
>in the interview with Candice and
>Danielle, they both refused to
>answer that question about Parvati
>having some kind of interaction
>with Russell before the season
>taped. so you know
>what that means.

Well, the CBS/SEG representative also said that they were free to answer the question, but that they chose not to.

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't believe either of them...just making sure everyone has all of the information.

Tublecane 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-10, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tublecane Click to send private message to Tublecane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
"I've always had much more problems with Terry and Yul's idols. Those were jokes, especially the CI one."

Exactly. I much prefer the current idol, which keeps things more equitable. In theory, at least. Obviously, Russell has monopolized them, but who knew that'd be his niche? Anyway, the current idol has going for it the fact that it's just as often bad for the holder as good, and just as often played stupidly as smartly (I think. Haven't done statistical analysis or anything).

Tublecane 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-10, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tublecane Click to send private message to Tublecane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
"Most of Galu believed Russell was being helped last season"

Did you notice they were losers?

"This season, I'm still having a hard time swallowing Parvati taking the risk of making the stupidest move in Survivor history by handing away two HIIs and then being voted out. The explanation for it? She knew Amanda was lying to her? That is a pretty thin reason to take the chance of being associated with one of the dumbest moves ever."

Slow down a second. Amanda's not just another player. She knows her. Plus, Amanda's not a great liar. What are you supposed to think when someone tells you, "It's not you, but please make sure to play your idol anyway." Quite obviously, she wanted to smoke the idol out. There is no other explanation for what she said.

All that, plus she has Russell's example to follow, and I think it's clear that she's trying to one-up him. Also, though immunity hand-offs aren't extremely common, there are examples of people risking their (game) lives to futher their alliance's chances. If you don't win majority at the merge, your odds drastically fall, whether or not you survive a single vote.

garcor 432 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-08-10, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-10 AT 07:53 AM (EST)

Put a cap on the number of idols that will be put in play during a season, hide them better, and have an expiration date for their use. Perhaps even make an idol the prize for winning a reward challenge.

Not that idol play hasn't provided some of them most entertaining moments in recent seasons. But it does change the game a little too much.

Do wonder if some complaints about idols are because of Russell's unpopularity.

05-08-10, 07:54 AM (EST)
17. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
I admit I am complaining about the idol alot cuz of my extreme dislike for Russell. But it has changed the dynamic of the game in a bad way.

finallytyping 400 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-10, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail finallytyping Click to send private message to finallytyping Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
Perhaps even make an idol the prize for winning a reward challenge.

Wouldn't that just be a second competition for immunity? I kind of like the fact that they have to look for the idol. It adds more dimension. In a competition, everyone knows who won. If it is hidden, there is no certainty. Nobody knows Sandra has the idol. That is interesting.

garcor 432 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-10, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
sure. was responding to the commments they are too easy to find. guess just hiding them better and giving a series of clues needed to find it (clue 1 leads to clue 2, etc.; think they used to do it that way) could work just fine.

finallytyping 400 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-10, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail finallytyping Click to send private message to finallytyping Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
I agree hiding the idol better would be helpful. Also, changing the shape of the idol, maybe making it less bulgy in the pocket. I'm just waiting for someone to say "is that an idol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

BedfordRobbie 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-13-10, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BedfordRobbie Click to send private message to BedfordRobbie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: hidden immunity idol is a joke"
Quite frankley i think its time to retire the idol, or just have one a season. People like Russell don't need to play the social game to get to the end so they don't.

If you go back to no HIDs then the players need to be more social and perhaps the game will improve.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •