The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Time to increase the prize?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

RocketScientist 62 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-12-10, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketScientist Click to send private message to RocketScientist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Time to increase the prize?"
I'd love to see Castaway Productions make a "suprise" announcement increasing the winner's prize from 1,000,000.00 to 5,000,000.00...

Was it just me or have the last few seasons shown that contestants are getting apathetic? Last season the only one who really tried (though I dislike him) was Russell, (and he tried in all the wrong ways).

Richard Hatch can tell you, after taxes the prize is really only about 500,000.00 anyway, and today - that really isn't THAT much money.

Why not increase the prize? Can you imagine how much harder everyone would play given that incentive? How much is 1 mil worth in todays dollars compared to when the show started?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-12-10 1
   RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-12-10 2
       RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-12-10 6
           RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-12-10 7
               RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-12-10 8
                   RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-12-10 9
                       RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-13-10 10
 Bad Example dabo 01-12-10 3
   RE: Bad Example RocketScientist 01-12-10 4
       RE: Bad Example dabo 01-12-10 5
 RE: Time to increase the prize? Snidget 01-13-10 11
   RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-13-10 12
       RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-13-10 13
           RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-13-10 14
               RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-13-10 15
                   RE: Time to increase the prize? RocketScientist 01-13-10 16
                       RE: Time to increase the prize? michel 01-14-10 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-12-10, 07:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-12-10 AT 07:44 PM (EST)

Hello Rocketscientist and welcome to the boards.

First, I'd like to say that if $1 Mil before tax isn't much for you then maybe you can send some my way!!

Don't mistake what was edited with what really happened. For example, take Tocantins: Stephen said that the big reason why they voted out Spencer was because he was playing TOO hard. We never saw Spencer strategizing but, after getting in an alliance with the other 3 guys, he tried to convince Joe and Sydney to target JT.

In Samoa, Laura had a very nice alliance set up with Kelly, Brett, Monica and Dave.

Brett had the perfect game plan to go far with his alliance or outlast even without it. Kelly was right there with him and could have won if Hantz didn't have the idol.

I say that John and Erik actually played much too hard.

Dave was set up well in the middle of both Galu alliances.

Pre-merge, Swan played so hard that he nearly died. OK, his strategy was terrible but with Erik backing him up he could have gone far.

Ashley, even if she was lazy in camp, had set herself up well to make the merge if Foa Foa had just won a challenge or two. Marisa and Betsy could have been good if they hadn't been confronted by Hantz.

Jaison, Mick and Natalie didn't have to play that hard at organizing the votes because they had the creep doing all the work for them. Making friends is more important than making flashy moves.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-12-10, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketScientist Click to send private message to RocketScientist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
Man - DO I feel like I have egg on my face

First, let me correct myself - because I spent the weekend before the finale' "indulging", the "last few seasons" (for me) would have been any of the several I have on DVD... Ooops.

Tocanins was great and JT was the kind of winner I take pleasure in watching win the final vote.

That being said, I keep wondering how the increased prize would impact the game, both physically and socially.

How often have we heard the old excuse "Hanging back, flying under the radar? Oh, that was all part of my strategy!"?

Yeah, right... Quit being lazy, stop watching while others take all the chances, levitate your sniveling arse out of that hammock - get out there and play like 5 mil depended on it!

WOOHOO! (I'm so excited I want to try out!)

Finally, with all due respect to the guys who played themselves into exaustion, they just shouldn't have been there. If the game is as physically demanding as the editor would have us believe - and I like to believe it is - they need more rigorous physical exams.

01-12-10, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
As much as we'd like it to be otherwise, the players are under no obligation to entertain us. Playing too hard has caused many castaways to get voted out while many players that hung back and flew under the radar collected the check.

Sometimes, like with Jenna, Sandra and Chris, a player will fly under the radar and be entertaining.

01-12-10, 10:41 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
I guess it's a matter of playing stongly and smartly.

As far as entertaining us, if they don't there won't be a show for very long - on the other hand - define "entertain"...

Entertain like Russell and Fairplay? Y-U-C-K

Entertain like Colby completely "dissing" Jerri's attempts to use her "feminine wiles" to get get ahead? WooHoo!

Entertain like Hatch running around naked? Gimmeabreak

Entertain like Rupert in a dress? LOL

But that's just me! There are an unbelievable number of people (neanderthals) out there who thought Russell was fan-fricken-tastic. (hmpf, go figger)

Hmmm... Like a microcosm of society - taking "all kinds".

By the way - $1,000,000 Year 2000 dollars is only $833,233.82 2009 dollars, so of course now you MUST see my point!

01-12-10, 11:08 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
"As far as entertaining us, if they don't there won't be a show for very long - on the other hand - define "entertain"...

It's the producers, the editors and Jiffy's goal to make the show entertaining. The players' goal is to win the million, period.

I define entertaining by the story the editors create around the players. I don't judge good or bad, just characters or tourists. So yes, all those big characters you named were entertaining, especially Hatch and Jerri.

And, since I'm Canadian, that prize looks worse than you imagine. Back in 2000, $1 Mill US was about S1.5Mill CDN. Now $833,233.82 USD are worth about $833,233.81 CDN!!!
But a Million is still a Million.

01-12-10, 11:37 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
OK, I see your meaning... But before anyone can devise an interesting story around the players, the players have to provide SOME fodder.

We obviously have differing tastes in players. I don't think Jerri should even be allowed to participate this (or future) seasons.

CDN dollars that low huh?...

Must be that socialized health care! HAHHAHAHAHAHA

(I crack me up!)

Maybe they should make it in Euros...???

01-13-10, 08:36 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 08:37 AM (EST)

I first thought no one should be given a 3rd appearance or that it was way too early for a season with returning players since we just had Micronesia but I see the buzz this season is creating and I've decided to join the fun. Bring them on and see them fall!

BTW, the return of past millionaires like Tom, Sandra and JT kind of puts a dent in your argument that the game needs an increase in prize money. 1Mill was enough to lure them back.

Now, 5Mill could be a nice publicity stunt and could increase the number of applications but would it change anything on the island? I doubt it. Judging by how hard people play on-line games were the prize, if any, is a siggie, I think the competition is what it is.

"Socialized Health Care"...One of the best things about being Canadian...or British, or French, or Scadinavian or... (I shouldn't have replied to that but it was just to tempting. Hahahahaha)

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-10, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Bad Example"
Hatch didn't pay his taxes and wound up owing a lot more.

01-12-10, 09:54 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Bad Example"
A lot more than half a million, a lot more than a million, or a lot more than 5 million?

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-10, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bad Example"
A lot more than his taxes would have been had he paid them.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-10, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
Increase the prize would do nothing to change the casting, IMO.

They want a range of different playing types rather than just people who will compete physically in the challenges for a large sum of money.

I, personally, find the combination of people there for the adventure, people to play a strong physical game, people who have to rely on their social game, etc. to be part of what makes it entertaining. If you only cast people that will be challenge hogs if the payday is high enough that changes a lot of what makes the game interesting, at least to me.

Although how you weed out those that are playing for camera time, I do not know. That often is what some of the people that play the hardest really seem to care the most about, the money is nice, but the face time is what has real value for a lot of these folks. If you weed out those willing to do anything so they don't end up on the floor in the editing room (or pixels deleted from the computer or whatever the digital equivalent is) I think you would lose a lot of the entertainment value. Your mileage may vary.

01-13-10, 09:53 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 09:57 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 09:55 AM (EST)

Sniget
the face time is what has real value for a lot of these folks.

Michel
Now, 5Mill could be a nice publicity stunt and could increase the number of applications but would it change anything on the island? I doubt it. Judging by how hard people play on-line games were the prize, if any, is a siggie, I think the competition is what it is.

That's what I love about these forums, your terrific points make me really think - thanx!

"Face Time..." Arrrgh. Did you have to bring that up - really? Won't say much other than: Contests who enter soley as a stepping stone to "bigger things" - go on America's got talent or one of those other corny shows - Pleeeez!
...and... There's a lot of resentment directed at the younger, square jawed, athletic, Type A Males on the show - Anyone who saw "Fire Islands" saw how that ruined any hopes for power in the "men's" tribe... Get over it already, ya really think you're gonna change casting? I dooon't think so.

"Challenging hogs..." Hmmm. I didn't really mean that the increase would change just the physical game, though I think it might encourage more participation. Different players have different qualities, whether it's strength or social, I (maybe mistakenly), think it would bring those strengths out.

Whether the editors will ever quit choosing a "star of the season" and obsessively shoving him or her down our throats - well, that's another story entirely...

"Third timers..." I don't really mind third timers if I think they belong there (like Rupert). If you were responding to my belief that Jerri shouldn't be there, that isn't why I think she should stay home. Her melodramtics at the All-Stars finale shold have (IMO) been her "final answer" on Survivor. The whole "American is getting it's entertainment from out pain: and it destroys friendships" speech then walking out - c'mon - if that's the way you feel just keep on walking, we won't keep the torch on for ya...

01-13-10, 07:19 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
Thank you for the compliment.
I'd like to comment on the following:

"There's a lot of resentment directed at the younger, square jawed, athletic, Type A Males on the show - Anyone who saw "Fire Islands" saw how that ruined any hopes for power in the "men's" tribe..."

If you mean the Flab5 alliance of Vanuatu going after Brooke, JohnP., Brady and JohnK., there was a lot more strategy than just resentment of good looking guys: Chris had to save himself because he was the target. Sarge was the key because he had proposed an alliance to the young guys right off the boat. The young guys told Sarge it was too early to talk alliance. Chris didn't waste time and grabbed Sarge for his alliance and got the other older guys together. Chris had the power while the young guys were dumb players.

After a few votes, Sarge thought the young guys weren't a threat anymore so he suggested voting out Rory. Chris knew that a tribal switch was likely coming soon and he realized that going on a tribe of women with the very handsome Brady might put him in danger. Not resentment, just facts of life. That's why he told Sarge it wasn't time to target Rory.

Chris still had the power going into the merge because he had Twila and Julie with him. Remember, Julie was the last bowhead and she had seen her allies, Dolly, Mia and especially Lisa (instead of Rory) voted out by the burly girls. Chris knew that but what caused him to lose power were two events that were hard to predict: Twila got cold feet because Julie's revelation made her doubt Chris while Ami and Leann did a great job to re-integrate Julie in their alliance. It had nothing to do with voting out the strong guys, especially not JohnK who was going to flip to the women anyway.

Chris was one of the best schemers ever but a lot of his strategy wasn't really shown on screen. That's another reason why I can't agree that we need more people playing hard. We've had great strategists over the years and sometimes the ones that don't really play hard make for the toughest obstacles by being wild cards.

01-13-10, 08:18 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
Michel, that was perhaps the most well thought out and articulated answer I have ever read in any forum. Thank you for writing it.

You put forth a great argument and all I really have to add to it is this...

Early in the game (first or second episode) Sarge made the comment to one of the other guys that they needed to get rid of the "jocks" who could beat the older guys in some of the immunity callenges.

"Jocks" (to me) carried a myriad of connotations, among them youth, looks and athleticism. (I was a "jock" once, many years ago, probably before a lot of posters here were even born )

Chris was a player alright, but he also caught some increadibly lucky breaks.

Sarge's problem with Rory started early on, (with an altercation over Rory going off by himself alot if I remember correctly) and never got any better with time.

And there have been other comments, by other players, in other seasons, though I cannot list them nearly as well as you can describe the blow by blows...

We all see nuances which others may not see, probably because our lives have made us sensitive to different social situations and stigmas.

I guess the bottom line is that we will have to agree to disagree on this one, (as we probably will on others in the future), but let me assure you, that does not in any way diminish my respect for you, your opinion, your writing skills, and your rhetoric - hell, if I wasn't such an old hardhead you'd have won me over long ago!

RS.

01-13-10, 09:29 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 10:11 PM (EST)

Thank you.

For completeness, I must say that Sarge had a tour of duty in Irak last year so he must be used to dealing and competing with strong young men. I don't remember his "jocks" comment but it sounds like he was repeating what Chris had pounded in his head. As for Chris' break, if you are refering to the dumb move by Leann and Ami to go after Eliza, remember Chris had been working on making that vote happen ever since the merge. He was lucky but he worked to make that luck happen.

For the rest, there'll be plenty of occasions for old Survivor fans to share, compare, dissect, analyze and argue! We might disagree and still both be right (or wrong) on occasion.
Talk to you later.

01-13-10, 11:22 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
sigh.... This is never going to end with both of us trying to get in "the last word"

Sarge was in Iraq, thank you for your service Sarge!

As far as having to "compete" with strong young men, well, there's a whole host of Military Occupational Skills (MOSs) where that wouldn't be a consideration, especially for a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer.

For instance, he could have been any of the following:
92A: Automated Logistical Specialist
92F: Petroleum Supply Specialist
92G: Food Service Specialist
92L: Petroleum Laboratory Specialist
92M: Mortuary Affairs Specialist
92R: Parachute Rigger
92S: Fabric Repair Specialist
92W: Water Treatment Specialist
92Y: Unit Supply Specialist
92Z: Senior Noncommissioned Logistician
... and those are just the Quartermasters Corps MOSs, I could lit about 600 other REMF (rear echelon mother f***) MOSs which have more to do with pencils (ok, "precision", now it would be computers) than brawn, or even with the theoretical application of brawn which a Non-Com (Supervisor) would be responsible for.

Ha!... You may have every season of Survivor ingrained in that mind of yours but I have 20 years of service and a retirement pension from the Military, are you SURE you want to go there?

(sorry to all the REMFs out there who may read this... )

01-14-10, 07:07 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Time to increase the prize?"
I don't care about having the last word but you misunderstood what I meant: I don't know what Sarge did in Iraq but he certainly had to train to get there. I assume that the army has more difficult exercises than the Survivor challenges and Sarge apparently passed them. So, I meant he probably wasn't afraid of competing with the likes of the 2 Johns.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •