The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR: International Travel and Visa's"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Coasterville 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-15-02, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR: International Travel and Visa's"
An unusual thought just occured to me last night:

One of the principles of TAR is that the teams "have no idea where they are going", as if they are on some happy-go-lucky scavenger hunt around the world. (Of course CBS knows the racecourse, but our teams don't)

There is just one problem with "have no idea where they are going": Visas. No, not the credit card. Many nations require foreigners to apply for and obtain a visa, or permit to enter their nation. Said visas can be applied for by visiting embassies, but some nations do offer mail order, and normally they mark something in you passport and return it, so the contestant could see the markings in their passport. On TAR 1, the following 'host' nations require tourist visas: Zambia, India, and China. So far on TAR 2 Brazil requires a visa.

How can the teams NOT know which nations they will be visiting, if they would have to apply for tourist visas to enter said nations. Now Zambia is a bit of an exception becuase the visa can be applied for at the Port of Entry. This leaves India and China that require Visas. (The other nations participate in a Visa Waiver program for short-term tourist visits, though I'm not sure bringing a media circus with you, while competing for money would quite fit the definition of Tourist.)

Then there are other countries that require the alien to prove that they intend to leave the country, and have sufficient means to do so. (A ticket on a recognized transportation source offen suffices). Since they don't know where they are going next, they won't have the neccesary entry documentation at the Port of Entry.

Then there are nations, that require other documents, such as an official invitation from a citizen of that nation, or for a tourist to work with a travel agency of that country. China falls into that category.

Of course we never get to see them survive Customs, so we don't know how they arrange this. (In fairness to CBS, photography is usually forbidden at border crossings)

Granted even if you knew you were going to China and India, that may not help much, but it would put you on the trail of books to purchase in the travel section of your favorite bookstore, and foreign language courses you may want to consider.

I mean this is CBS, a journalistic multi billion American company, but any self respecting nation is not going to ignore its own immigration and Visa regs. Wait, this is the TAR Sucks forum, allow me to rephrase:

"I get it slimy, manipulative CBS got around the Visa regulations by hoodwinking these nations into thinking that the free exposure they will have on television will payoff in tourist dollars to their nations. Never mind that it will really cause Americans at their WORST manners to run ragged through their nice calm peaceful communities, disrupting their citizens trying to live their lives while being so centered around the money they could care a less about the culture, tourists sites or anything else."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Visas in TAR1 AyaK 03-15-02 1
 RE: TAR: International Travel and V... cmaybur 03-16-02 2
   RE: TAR: International Travel and V... Fast Eddie 03-17-02 3
 RE: TAR: International Travel and V... Loree 03-19-02 4
   RE: TAR: International Travel and V... Fast Eddie 03-19-02 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-15-02, 10:19 PM (EST)
1. "Visas in TAR1"
Some of the contestants from TAR1 said that they DID know that they were going to India and China because they had to get visas before they left. In other words, CBS was not able to waive the immigration laws of these countries, not even with a wadful of Yankee bigbucks and free publicity.

cmaybur 259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-16-02, 07:48 AM (EST)
2. "RE: TAR: International Travel and Visas"
Believe it or not, the contests from the first race addressed this point. They stated that the producers had them complete Visa applications for a bunch of countries. If I am remembering correctly, it was around 30 countries. Yes, they had an idea about what countries they might get sent to, but they surely did not visit all of the countries for which they filled out Visa applications. The contestants submitted the applications to the producers, who in turn processed only the ones they would actually need. The appropriate Visa was then provided to the contestants when they reached the country in question.

The contestants also stated last time that they were sure they would be going to Africa because they were required to get certain innoculations.

As for providing evidence of departure, many countries only require proof of means to leave rather than an actual departure ticket. Cash or credit cards are often listed as acceptable evidence.

Keep in mind that prior to the race, the producers have secured permission from each country to enter and film in that country. They've also worked closely with the locals to set up the challenges and handle all the behind-the-scenes logistics that we don't get to see on screen.

Chris

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-17-02, 02:14 PM (EST)
3. "RE: TAR: International Travel and Visas"
> The contestants submitted the
>applications to the producers, who
>in turn processed only the
>ones they would actually need.
> The appropriate Visa was
>then provided to the contestants
>when they reached the country
>in question.

Often the visa must be stamped into the passport. But in any case, why get only the visas actually needed? Nothing says you actually have to go. (I still have an unused visa for Afghanistan, issued 3 days before the Soviets invaded.) So they could get visas for 30 countries.

>As for providing evidence of departure,
>many countries only require proof
>of means to leave rather
>than an actual departure ticket.
> Cash or credit cards
>are often listed as acceptable
>evidence.

I've travelled for over 30 years to countries with rules like these. Not once have I actually been asked to provide this proof. In any case, I'm sure the producers have reps right there who can provide whatever is needed, even (if absolutely necessary) airline tickets out (which might never actually be used).

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-02, 12:00 PM (EST)
4. "RE: TAR: International Travel and Visa's"
I would think going through customs could change the order of the players at various times. Haven't alot of us travelled where sometimes we breeze through customs while other times you are stopped and searched and asked alot of questions? They seem to pick people at random and you wait around while others walk right through. That could be a big thing in this race. It could mean getting your cab right away or an hour later. During the last show I was always hoping the Guidos would be stopped and searched and delayed at airports.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-19-02, 01:44 PM (EST)
5. "RE: TAR: International Travel and Visa's"
It could indeed. But that's just part of the game, like getting a taxi driver who doesn't know where he's going, or needing to stop for gas.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •