The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Big Brother's competing realities"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Live Feed Updates And Spoilers (Protected)
Original message

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-28-07, 09:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MakeItStop Click to send private message to MakeItStop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Big Brother's competing realities"
News article describing how TV only viewers are getting a different picture than live feeders. Also talks about the producers influencing the show. Check it out here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20423839/from/ET/

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-29-07 1
 RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... leenga 08-29-07 2
 RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Dakota 08-29-07 3
   RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... 2thDr 08-29-07 4
       RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... carmaj0530 08-29-07 5
           RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Dakota 08-29-07 7
               RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-29-07 8
                   RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Snidget 08-29-07 9
                       RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-30-07 10
                           RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Snidget 08-30-07 11
                               RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... nailbone 08-30-07 12
                                   RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Snidget 08-30-07 15
                                   RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... AZ_Leo 08-31-07 24
                               RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-30-07 17
                       RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... mia rules18 08-30-07 16
                           RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Estee 08-30-07 18
                           RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-30-07 19
                               RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Estee 08-30-07 20
                                   RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... mia rules18 08-30-07 21
                                       RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... JoshInSGV 08-30-07 23
               RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Glass 08-30-07 13
 RE: Big Brother's competing realiti... Snidget 08-29-07 6
   An FCC response AshLanie 08-30-07 14
       RE: An FCC response AyaK 08-30-07 22
           RE: An FCC response timetraveller 09-02-07 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-29-07, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Very interesting article. I think it's awesome that the media is drawing attention to BB's manipulation and disconnect with reality. Historically, only the people who watch/read the feeds noticed the inconsistencies. BB producers should know better, considering that they allow people to see what goes on in the house 24/7. It's rather insulting to spin things on TV in a completelly different direction, when we've all seen/read about what truly happens in the house. Obviously, not everything that happens in the house can be shown on TV. And, not every aspect of a houseguests personality can be portrayed on TV. But, at least try to give an accurate representation of the players and the events that are shaping the game. Portraying D!ck as The Father of The Year and Jen as the Psycho-B!tch is just vile.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

leenga 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-29-07, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leenga Click to send private message to leenga Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
interesting! thanks!

Dakota 5643 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-29-07, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Contestants on reality shows always talk about the editing. This season on BB, I've been waiting for the producers to overlay a big red arrow on the screen pointing to Amber with "Duh, teeheeteehee" after it. I used to think she was emotional and not particularly bright. Well, that last part is true of many a reality TV contestant, but moreso with Amber. As the season has progressed, I'm coming to the conclusion that the woman is mentally challenged in some way, as in "at birth". Editing her to be the fool 3 nights a week is starting to bug me. Between her and E.D.'s ranting, I'm not enjoying the season. Eric has shown his true colors and they're not pretty. I don't get the live feeds, so I only get the 3 hours a week and what I read here.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

2thDr 75 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-29-07, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 2thDr Click to send private message to 2thDr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
While I appreciate where you guys are coming from.....I think we are forgeting that one part of the whole reality tv thing....IT IS TV, therefore, it is not reality. I do not watch reality shows to see real life. I see plenty of real life in my daily routine. I watch it for the entertainment value. Anyone who goes on a show and anyone who watches should know that editing happens. Just a fact. Without editing to make it interesting, who would watch? I dare say not many. As for ##### being portrayed as Father of the Year...you must be watching a different show than me. I dont think they have painted him in a better light than anyone else, personally.

carmaj0530 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-29-07, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carmaj0530 Click to send private message to carmaj0530 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
I agree 2thDr. I get enough so called "real life" every day at work. I work in the automotive world, there is enough real life here to have 6 reality tv shows going at once. I like the entertainment factor. Rarely do I get caught up in the "who are they, in real life?" thoughts. Its TV, just like a character on another sitcom. The people that try out for these shows, have to know what's its all about. If you don't, well then I don't know what to tell you.

Dakota 5643 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-07, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
These shows aren't "real life" in any sense. 10 people stuck in a house together for 3 months with no phones, TV, computer, newspapers. Competing for food and the power to vote people out isn't exactly real life. On the other hand, misrepresenting the character of a contestant or what's going on in the BB house through editing is something us reality TV fans should be aware of. That way we won't throw rotten fruit at the wrong person.

My comments about Amber are that I think she might actually have a learning disability or be mentally challenged in some way and they're exploiting that in what I think is a cruel way. Keep in mind I have posted some snarky things about her, but as this show progresses, I'm thinking she's not a clueless DAW, she has some kind of real handicap. If I'm right, then Jameka is showing her faith by taking Amber under her wing.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

08-29-07, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
>These shows aren't "real life" in
>any sense. 10 people
>stuck in a house together
>for 3 months with no
>phones, TV, computer, newspapers.
>Competing for food and the
>power to vote people out
>isn't exactly real life.
>On the other hand, misrepresenting
>the character of a contestant
>or what's going on in
>the BB house through editing
>is something us reality TV
>fans should be aware of.
> That way we won't
>throw rotten fruit at the
>wrong person.

I think this is exactly what I was trying to say, but didn't verbalize it as well as Dakota did. We all know that editing is essential to any reality show. It helps to simplify complex events and add drama to the show. However, it seems to me that Big Brother has gone to great lengths this season to unnecessarily misrepresent the people and the events that take place in the house. On any other reality show, this wouldn't bother me as much. But, Big Brother has two things that most other reality shows don't have: Live Feeds and America's Player. The Live Feeds are giving one story, yet the show is giving a completelly different story. This is a misleading type of editing and it has a direct effect on the America's Player twist. The average viewer is probably just following the CBS broadcast and the skewed editing is influencing the general public to vote a certain way. It gives an unfair advantage to certain houseguests by portraying them in a more positive manner, while at the same time demonizing others and making them targets of the America's Player votes. I understand that the networks' bottom line is not necessarily what is fair to the contestants. But, it just doesn't sit well with me how they try to manipulate the public's perceptions.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-07, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
I don't think it is any worse than Maggie on Season 6.

Very little to none of the venom that came out in the HOH on the live feeds got on the show. And she and her "friendship" let the venom fly in the HOH room because they believed that the HOH room (for some reason) was not broadcast to the live feeds.

There was a huge disconnect between those that followed the feeds and saw what went on in the HOH room and those that just watched the show as we saw time and time again on the boards.

How can you hate them they didn't do anything?????
Do you watch the live feeds?
No.

08-30-07, 11:27 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
What you say about Maggie's editing is true. However, we didn't have America's Player in Season 6. The few America's Choice contests that took place in S6 (which were ALL won by Janelle) had little impact on the game, with the exception of Kaysar's return to the house.

08-30-07, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-07 AT 12:28 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-30-07 AT 12:27 PM (EST)

I'm not sure I understand, it is OK to skew the editing if America can't vote for something that effects the game?

Even if you try to be balanced and even with 3 hours of programming a week they still have to pick and chose and America in general won't know the whole story at all.

To me America's player (is it fair or not at all) and editing issues are two different things, I never thought of them as one issues.

ETF: stupid keyboard.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-07, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
It's not necessarily right or wrong, just stupid. Knowing that people are going to see the actual events happening live on the feed makes editing those same events in a different light just plain stupid.

08-30-07, 03:24 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
It may be stupid, but they do it every year and they still get good ratings, so I don't think they are going to change.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-31-07, 00:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
I don't think it is that much of a risk for CBS. The percentage of the viewing audience that knows the actual events, either through the live feeds or through message boards, is probably very, very small. The ones who are likely to read any articles probably fall into the first small group and not the larger set of general viewers. The ones who actually care about the discrepancies are also more likely to be from the first group.

If it was going to cause a problem it would have happened many seasons ago and with many other shows as well.

A smokeysmom original

08-30-07, 05:06 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-07 AT 05:21 PM (EST)

I'm not saying it's right to skew the editing one way or the other. Like Nailbone said above, it's stupid to do it when a portion of the audience has access to the live feeds. IMO, to skew the editing to influence the audience to vote a certain way is particularly obnoxious.

mia rules18 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-30-07, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mia%20rules18 Click to send private message to mia%20rules18 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
??!?!?
Season 6 was before my time on the message boards and I don't get the feeds, so I had no idea that Maggie was anything but what I saw on TV. I know this is like so 3 years ago, but what went on in that HOH room with her alliance?

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-07, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-07 AT 07:24 PM (EST)

Ultra-bashing of everyone who wasn't in her alliance. We caught a lot of it on the live feed threads (which were very active that season): it was more than enough to turn the majority of the board against her. Her name just about became a synonym for really blatant editing: the producers had to turn cartwheels to make her even remotely tolerable to the public.

Oh, and ask her about her wrongful death lawsuits. Whee!

Maggie was your basic cult leader: We Are Good, They Must Be Destroyed. And while a little of this goes on in most alliance groups, she took We Are Good to a new level -- along with seriously distorting the definition of Good.

08-30-07, 05:18 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Maggie's list of unpleasantries would be quite long. In summary, Maggie was at the same level as Ivette/April when it came down to spewing hatred and venom against the other houseguests. Some of her most horrid moments took place in the HOH room, where the entire Friendsheep would gather around and bash the other hamsters (especially Janelle). They were all under the delusion that the HOH room was off-limits to the producers and therefore not being videotaped, which is the reason why they would unleash their most vile and hateful comments in the HOH room. For whatever reason that no one can understand, Maggie's most horrid moments never made it on the show.

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-07, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
BB wants their winner to be, if not beloved by the public, at least marginally tolerated. The editing tends to soften on people with a chance to last a while.

mia rules18 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-30-07, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mia%20rules18 Click to send private message to mia%20rules18 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Wow...I guess so! I had no idea about Maggie, guess that explains why she didn't get the All stars invite.

08-30-07, 11:03 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Even if Maggie had been invited to participate in All-Stars, I doubt she would have accepted. Maggie never expected the backlash against her to be so great. I remember that she cried after a particularly harsh interview. Maggie, April, and Jen realized after the show how much the fans despised them. They all crawled back to whatever hole they came from and have yet to see the light of day. The only one who wanted to redeem herself was Ivette, but the audience wanted nothing to do with her in All-Stars.

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-30-07, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glass Click to send private message to Glass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Regarding Amber's editing... The fact that Amber has the vocabulary of an 8-year-old doesn't have a thing in the world to do with how CBS edits her. She's that way for real because she doesn't read except children's books. And the fact that she thinks she has visions from God also has nothing to do with the editing. Producers don't make this stuff up.

And as far as her possible mental disability? She does have one and it's been discussed on the feeds and on these threads... drug addiction. Amber's a drug addict, that's why she acts the way she acts, IMO. That's bad casting (which is always my complaint with this show), not bad editing.

08-29-07, 02:21 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Big Brother's competing realities"
Well I don't think this is new news to anyone.

The job of the editors is to tell a coherant story which may or may not closely resemble the raw footage. They will make the most compelling story out of the footage, not the most accurate one. Sometimes the accurate one is really boring, etc.

FWIW I do not thnk Dick is getting father of the year or all around nice guy type of edit. He is trying harder at the relationship with Dani and she is using hime. That seems consistant from what I have read from the feeds. Now not all his explosiveness has been aird on the 3 hours a week, but they have to show competitions and stuff.

Some of the worst stuff doesn't mke the air IMO because CBS doesn't need the headache, and we seen it from most of the hamsters this year like every year.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-30-07, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "An FCC response"
LAST EDITED ON 08-30-07 AT 03:12 PM (EST)

The link below is where I got the response from...the person posting didn't post the link that she/he had copied it from:

http://forums.film.com/showthread.php?t=21835&highlight=wrestling

The post is as follows:

I copied this from another message board. Apparently the author of this message complained to the Federal Comication Commission and this is the reply that he got. (The posters words)

The OFFICIAL RESPONSE from the FCC is below. They liken Big Brother to professional wrestling and state that the contest is not real and that the outcome is predetermined. If you don't believe me, file your own concern with the FCC. I'm confident you'll receive an identical message.

The response I received:

Thanks for contacting the FCC via the online inquiry form, with your inquiry (designated IC Number: 07-x1327xxxx), regarding the 'reality' show 'Big Brother.' We will close your inquiry IC Number: 07-x1327xxxx with this response:

A "game show" in which selected contestants (vs. members of the
public) participate is governed by Section 509 of Title 47 of the United States Code (USC), and regulated by the Department of Justice. However 'Big Brother' does not appear to meet the definition of a "game show." Rather, it is a 'for entertainment only' program, somewhat similar to professional wrestling in that it is a pseudo-contest in which the outcome is fully, or in some measure, predetermined.

Very interesting...I wonder how BB and CBS can justify taking money from the text voting (Not mine, not silly enough to waste my money) How do those people who voted actually know their votes were counted and a winner determined? No public stats on how many voted and what the % was for the winner.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-07, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: An FCC response"
I don't have any doubt that the votes (including America's Voter) are real. Rather, the issue here involves such questions as (1) whether the competitions are predetermined or set to try and keep certain popular players (e.g., Janelle last year) around, (2) how much influence do producers have in the DR, and (3) what impact does the manipulation of "America's Voter" questions have.

timetraveller 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-02-07, 07:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail timetraveller Click to send private message to timetraveller Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: An FCC response"
hi allen i am with you

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •