The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"zHrelp Please!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

foonermints 12884 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-11-14, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"zHrelp Please!"
I've started to get my ancient Super 8 films transferred to flash drive. It's high quality stuff done in Culver City and it ain't cheap. Not as cheap as I am, anyway.

My problem is sending 6gb to 8gb files over the net, to people who were in these thrilling mountaineering movies so long ago I think there are actual dinosaurs in the background.

My current clodhopper way is to have them copied on a flash drive, and then mail the flash drive to the unlucky recipient, who no doubt quickly throws it in the trash, not wanting to be reminded that they were once happy and good-looking.

I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of how to torture my recipient immediately in their email, or as a forbidden foonerlink© , so they may realize that their miserable life was once worth living.

Mine still is!

Where is Fluffy the Love Bunny when you need him?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: zHrelp Please! jbug 03-12-14 1
   RE: zHrelp Please! Agman2 03-12-14 2
       Well.. No foonermints 03-15-14 7
   RE: zHrelp Please! foonermints 03-13-14 3
 RE: zHrelp Please! kingfish 03-13-14 4
   Seeng As How foonermints 03-13-14 5
       RE: Seeng As How kingfish 03-14-14 6
           GAH! foonermints 03-15-14 8
 RE: zHrelp Please! RollDdice 03-19-14 9
   RE: zHrelp Please! foonermints 03-20-14 10
       Flag on the Play! RollDdice 03-20-14 11
           Sending out a St Bernard (with keg) RollDdice 03-21-14 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 16872 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-14, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
A few years ago I had all our old 8mm home movies transferred to DVDs. It was pretty expensive and the sad part is that I didn't have a way to watch them so I could put them in the correct order. I did pretty good tho just by holding the film up to the light and our old labels on the cases.

I have no help to give you in answer to your request however.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Agman2 190 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-12-14, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
A few years ago I had
all our old 8mm home
movies transferred to DVDs.

8mm's??? I never thought you were that type!

Ever see the film "8mm?"

03-15-14, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Well.. No"
Is it Good?

Linda Lovelace?

03-13-14, 08:51 AM (EST)
3. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
The cost for the highest quality restoration is 31¢ per foot. You're right, not cheap!

I've got two 400' "mystery reels" also. Something must be on them!

kingfish 16948 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-14, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
Mail them to me. I'll thrown them in the trash for free.

03-13-14, 09:25 PM (EST)
5. "Seeng As How"
I've still got about 3000 feet more to get transferred, it's a tempting offer after I do the math..

kingfish 16948 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-14, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Seeng As How"
I've done that, both with 8mm and slides. And I had to be real selective because of the expense. And although I've only reviewed them a couple of times, I keep thinking I need to send more in. Maybe a certain amount every year or so.

Kinda thinking about digging them out again.

03-15-14, 12:01 PM (EST)
8. "GAH!"
»Kinda thinking about digging them out again. «

Better leave sleeping dogs lie.

I'm currently transferring stuff from the Galapagos and Nepal from my wonderful marriage
(note to past self: DON"T DO IT!)onto another stupid flash drive.
Why? Crazy-Son-Of-Two-Grandsons, otherwise known as: "BusyWhacker" really wants that part of his family history.

I could get a decent bottle of whisky with that money.

How much are lobotomies going for these days? I've still got about 5000 slides I should start looking at.

AND throwing away.

RollDdice 5692 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-14, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
fooner -

You've walked right into my area of expertise. The key is how your video place is encoding these transfers from film to video. There are two elements to consider; 1) the file format (or "wrapper")-- .mov, .m4v, .mp4, .avi, etc. and 2) the video codec (compression), H.264, animation, MPEG-4 etc.

See if your place can balance format/compression/file size so you get a good quality image and manageable file size. Then you can upload via Dropbox (free) or any number of other services. Finally, you send your victims an invitation to download and view the movie. Popcorn not included.

Post here if I can be of more (or less) assistance. PM at your own risk as I have "constant red wavy syndrome" and don't check there often.

- Roll

03-20-14, 10:45 AM (EST)
10. "RE: zHrelp Please!"
I know it is a "FAT32" file, and I have had to reformat the flash drives I've bought to NTFS so I can transfer over 4gb. Compression I know little about. I'll have to ask them.

Thanks for the tip about "Dropbox". I'll look that up right now. My surviving mountaineering friends laugh their rear ends off when I've sent them a copy of them on camera 35+ years ago.

These toys were for fun, weren't they? Can't believe I drug that camera around everywhere, I only wish it had had sound. Anyway, it still was almost the Cat's Meow back then.

Handcrafted by RollDdice: showing that you actually can do something for a foonermint..

03-20-14, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Flag on the Play!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-14 AT 05:23 PM (EST)

Uhh uhh. FAT32 (or NTFS) is used to format the flash drive so that you can put (any) files on it. The benefit of FAT32 is that it can be read by PCs or Macs.

The file of each video is quite different and the extension will be .mov, .mp4. .wmv, or something similar.

On PC, right click on the file name, select Properties and look at "Type of file". While there, write down the file size as well. That should provide a good starting point.

*edited to convert into English*

03-21-14, 02:22 PM (EST)
12. "Sending out a St Bernard (with keg)"
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-14 AT 02:38 PM (EST)

fooner -

Check your Red Wavy. I offered to take the video from your film to video transfers and create a)DVD b)web/Dropbox and c)iPad versions of your mountaineering Donner Parties.

We live in the same Metro area, so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

(P.S. - I did some web research and you should probably bite the bullet and buy an external hard drive and transfer your super 8mm to .mov or .avi. Less drama in the long run.)

Roll... standing by to stand by.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •