The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"sig size"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

smokeysmom 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-27-08, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smokeysmom Click to send private message to smokeysmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"sig size"
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-08 AT 05:26 PM (EST)

I can't help but notice that many siggies in use now are above the guidelines, for example: at 60K

FORGIVE ME, please, for using this as an example.

In fact, the siggie warning which admonishes us to stay within 20K is itself beyond the guidelines at 44K:

Do we need new guidelines? Can we add a Flash format to our guidelines?

Or, of course, we can stay where we're at, no worries.

Edited to remove Seanas' sig which I never should have singled out to pose this question, I apologize.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: sig size tribephyl 03-27-08 1
 RE: sig size Bebo 03-28-08 2
 RE: sig size AyaK 03-30-08 3
   RE: sig size agman 03-30-08 4
   RE: sig size tribephyl 03-30-08 5
 I'm an elephant smokeysmom 04-01-08 6
   RE: I'm an elephant Seana 04-03-08 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-27-08, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: sig size"
I see the first sig as 35K, not 60K. Still over the maximum allowable but closer.

And as far as IC's sig-example goes, it looks 20K exactly to me.

Overall, I imagine that policing 30 thousandsuch posters with their multiple siggies is a task too daunting to dedicate time solely to it.
I do see the blue peeps warn folks who display larger pixel parameters and I personally have experiences with being told to alter siggies to lower the file size.
So the guidlines are still being upheld and enforced.

I'm not quite sure about the flash question though.
I'd ask IceCat or RollDDice, as I believe it was Ice Cat who told Rollie how to post his flash siggies.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-08, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: sig size"
When you see a sig that is in violation of the guidelines, alert the moderators. We don't open every single post and check every single signature - it's just not practical for volunteers. The guidelines ask posters to keep the height a maximum of 60 pixels, and most of the alerts we get are for signatures that are above that.

And the siggie warning is just that - a warning, not a sig pic itself. Therefore, it is not in violation of any guidelines. We often allow non-signature pics and graphics that are taller/bigger...otherwise, our vidcap analysis would be nonexistant.

Just like any other guideline, if you see a violation, use the alert system to notify the moderators.

AyaK 10083 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-08, 06:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: sig size"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-08 AT 06:52 AM (EST)

I would expect that most of the sig files that are violators of the size guidelines were created as gifts for other people, and the creators were unaware of the guidelines. I know that's the case with the file above that was created for Seana.

Frankly, I freely admit that I'll check the height and length of pictures, but I don't think I ever remember to check their file size. I guess I'll need to start doing that.

However, I don't know where you are getting a figure of 60MB for the Seana sig above. Checking the image in Windows, I get 34MB -- still above the guidelines, but not triple-sized. And the IceCat sig, with your purported size of 44MB, is actually 19MB by my measurement. So basically, both of those figures are overstated by 25MB. How did you get those numbers, smokeysmom?

Edited to add: Based on what I've seen in the sig files, I don't see any reason to rework the guidelines -- but I've also realized that you don't need motion to go over. For example,

is 31MB.

is 27MB.

is a gutbuster at almost 57MB, although it's completely static. And even this one:

is 27MB.

I've posted this whole assortment not to embarrass the people involved but just to point out that it's obvious that we haven't been monitoring file size, due to how widepread the violations are. If anyone would like to help shrink these sig pics, I'm sure the posters to whom they belong would be grateful.

Now, if you'll excuse me, checking sig pics has made me thirsty...

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-08, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: sig size"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-08 AT 02:14 PM (EST)

Well, the "gutbuster" I made has visited Jenny Craig, and has dropped from a whopping 57 Mb to a trim and fit 15.2 bytes.

ETA I have also resized the siggie I made Seana

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-08, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: sig size"
Samboohoo:

Abman:

Kimmah:

smokeysmom 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-01-08, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smokeysmom Click to send private message to smokeysmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "I'm an elephant"
in a china shop. I am so sorry for posting Seana's sig to ask my questions about guidelines, please accept my apology.

I really was wondering how we could incorporate everyone's creativity into the guidelines now that so many of us can do animations, etc. Hoping we could add other sizes or formats.

After all my lurking, and fairly long time posting, you'd think I could be less clumsy -- but apparently, not! Sorry my friends, it won't happen again.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 11:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I'm an elephant"
Thank-you for your kindness. It's a good topic, and one that clearly needed discussion. Agman has been kind enough to re-do the sig for me, so I can happily assert my geekishness without slowing things down for the dial-up crowd.

Agman made it so!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •