The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 5470 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-31-05, 06:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"

Aitutaki. You think Rarotonga is laid back until you board Air Raro and fly north over the empty Pacific for a couple hours ...

I thought I'd write a little about the context of these photos, like how in the world I got so lucky as to see this place. If you don't care, scroll down, there are 20 more photos. (Hey, I took 200, so 20 is restrained, right?)

Aitutaki Atoll and Lagoon: a place where the colors intoxicate the soul. I was truly blessed to have a chance to go there in November 2003. The trip actually came together because I had nowhere to live for a month and I balked at renting a condo in Hawaii, where I live, at vacation rental prices. Might as well go somewhere else, and I had always wanted to see at least some of the South Pacific.

These photos start with the plane descending over Aitutaki lagoon, arriving at the crowded airport tense with security concerns, off to a bar (of course) at a place I could not possibly afford to stay but which had a lovely poolside bar.

On the way to the bar we had our first motor scooter wreck, tried to go up a dirt road, hit a huge rut, and over we went, over the side of the road ending up hanging upside down at a sharp angle just shy of a cliff. Yikes!

We still made it to the bar by sunset, a bit scraped. We call my scooter burn scar on my leg my little Aitutaki tattoo. No one rents a car on Aitutaki, everyone rides mopeds, but there are actually lots of mishaps.

The next day we climbed the "mountain" and looked down on the lagoon. Aitutaki is an atoll (flat) and has "mountain envy" of its rival island Rarotonga. Supposedly the Rarotongans ripped off the Aitutaki mountain and left them with a bit of a stump--it's still a good climb in the near-equatorial heat.

The best water is out in the reaches of the lagoon where the motus lie. Motus are islets. These are basically uninhabited, without fresh water or utilities or roads or anything much, except that One Foot Island has a post office. Yes, you go there and get a special postmark.

We took two lagoon cruises and for one day bought a day pass to the other high end resort, a truly pristine and calm spot called Pearl Lagoon Resort. It costs $600 a night to stay there, but only $20 to go for a day and act like a guest ... lol ... some of the pictures are from there.

One of the motus was the site for the BBC reality documentary show called Shipwrecked. They stranded two tribes, men and women, for a really long time, maybe two months, and rolled the cameras. It was a oontest, but the game never ended as it was meant to. The men got bored, bribed a local with a boat and got themselves ferried to the main island to Crushers Bar, where they got shitfaced and totally busted. So the women won the game, but they all got sent home after that. Their pathetic camp is still there, and a calendar marked on a tree.

The Shipwrecked calender and about 40 more pictures are online here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/404916908

if you like these photos, go there and watch the slide show and see the pictures in higher resolution. btw, it's actually tricky to get good pix there because the light is so intense and washes the colors out pretty easily. The expanses of blue and green are pretty abstract ... the colors of the water really are as you see. I did not change the hues, but there's some fun to be had making the scenery psychedelic by playing with the colors.

We went to "Island Night" at Crushers bar to see real Maori dancing (not like a fancy floor show) ... and that will be Pt II. If I get it done.

Kia Orana!

We catch sight of the landing strip ... hold on!

This is the main and only terminal. There was no security screening. We felt like we were finally far far away from anywhere.

The Pacific Resort infinity pool. A truly elegant and unpretentious resort ... we stayed down the road.

The lagoon and the Pacific beyond the reef, as seen from Aitutaki summit.

A perfect crescent beach, with no one on it!

A sandbar ... or a nebula

One Foot Island -- the next four shots are from our short stay there.

An arch. Why I know not. Need there be a reason?

As we pull away from shore ... the arch remains, cryptic landmark

A large lagoon cruiser ... they come in various sizes ...

cruising back to the main island, passing motus in a sea of green

Day pass heaven, palms perfectly spaced for hammocks

Pearl Lagoon ... I was going to jump in the water when a huge moray eel swam by and I thought better of it

Shipwrecked was filmed in this western motu region of the lagoon.

one of the few motus volcanic in origin ... most are coral-based

giant clams, while snorkeling off the western motus

striations in sand, water and sky

tidal vestiges leave fingers in the sand

Ah, dazzling One Foot Island, hope to see you again someday.

One (or two) for the road, and it was back to Raro!
I thought the polished wooden bar was exquisitely crafted. I don't chronicle every beer.

http://community.webshots.com/album/404916908
*to see the other photos, captioned, full screen*

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... cahaya 07-31-05 1
   RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... Outfrontgirl 07-31-05 2
       RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... cahaya 07-31-05 4
   RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... Outfrontgirl 07-31-05 3
 RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... mysticwolf 07-31-05 5
   RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... Outfrontgirl 08-08-05 6
 RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... seahorse 08-26-05 7
 RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... Flowerpower 03-25-06 8
   RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... Outfrontgirl 04-14-06 9
 RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming... seahorse 11-17-06 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 14104 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-05, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
These are really superb pictures of a paradise. It almost seems that it's impossible to take a bad picture there! Thank you for sharing your photos. Very refreshing.

And I was very curious, where in the world is this place? It's one of those places we've all heard of, but most of us can't place on a map. So, for the benefit of other viewers, here's a map.

For a more detailed look (to follow OFG around) here's a good interactive map you can zoom-in with.

"Timeless at lightspeed"

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

07-31-05, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
cahaya, that's a great map and one I hadn't seen before! Rarotonga, the capital island of the Cooks, is located in almost a mirror position with Hawaii. Same latitude, just flip the seasons. Very pleasant climate.

Aitutaki, where I took these photos, is enough closer to the equator to be noticeably hotter. The season when we went there is equivalent to end of May/early June for us in the North.

Most of the travellers we met there were Kiwis or Aussies, a few Brits, some Germans. Unlike in many of the South Pacific islands, such as Tahiti, the Queen's English is spoken as the official language. On the more remote Aitutaki, we met more people who spoke Maori as their first language and who struggled with English.

Re it being impossible to take a bad picture there -- actually it is easier than not to take bad washed-out pictures in the equatorial light, and although the water is gorgeous, it's a struggle to find a composition that isn't just water/horizon/flat belt of trees or beach/sky. I worked VERY hard to get beautiful pictures; they didn't just happen!

Photography is my great passion when I travel. I appreciate your compliment. You are clearly a very accomplished and serious photographer. Your work is fabulous.

cahaya 14104 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-05, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Well, there's a passion we share, travel photography. I've got quite a collection and often share parts of it with family/friends. Not quite so serious for me, just for fun, but like you, I try to do it well.

I was sort of kidding about the "impossible to take a bad picture" comment. It was more a reflection of the beauty of the places you visited rather than on your excellent photography skills. Living in the tropics in SE Asia, I completely agree with your comment about composition and lighting to get good beach photos, especially mid-day. It's also tricky in the shade of jungle canopies during jungle treks. Sometimes, it's a matter of luck and opportunistic timing.

It's clear that you did indeed work hard (well, 'with great care' is a better phrase) to get beautiful photos. You do wonderful work (yup, it is work after all!).

Thanks for your reply to my comments, and a "you're welcome" to your thanks for the map info, in kind.

"Timeless at lightspeed"

07-31-05, 04:54 PM (EST)
3. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-05 AT 04:56 PM (EST)

Thanks to cahaya, here is a map of Aitutaki island and the lagoon with motus.

The first lagoon cruise photos go down the east side, stop at Akaiama (the crescent beach), an old sea-plane refueling stop in the 1930's and WWII. Then on to One Foot, with the arch.

Cruise returns to Aitutaki Lagoon Resort, little island with $$$ hotel logo off northeast hook of main island. An auto bridge connects it to the main island. The east side of the Lagoon Resort is site of the "day pass" pix.

Second cruise launched out of western harbor, proceeded to head south. First stop was to Moturakau motu (south of main island), where BBC shot SHIPWRECKED in 1999 0r 2000, around the time of S1.

Doubled back west to Maina. The thin crescent motu has a small motu adjacent (see map) that we WALKED to through the channel at low tide. Tide was coming in on the return walk, making that crossing a bit more of an adventure.

We snorkeled near Maina at a place where one can stand up in chest height water (but there's a pretty strong current, not a wading pool!). We swam to a drop off to view the giant clams and lots of fish.

Last stop: back to One Foot, which normally has way too many people on it from all the lagoon cruises. On Sunday, however, only one cruise runs and only takes six people, so we had it to ourselves.

The pool and the beer on the bar are from the Pacific Resort, northwest side of the island where you see a pricey hotel icon. Besides the two high end places, most of the accommodations are huts and backpackers' places, complete with bed bugs. We stayed on the north side in a bungalow on the lagoon, the only place of medium comfort and price. Still very basic.

You cannot really swim in the lagoon near the main island as the water is extremely shallow, especially at low tide--and full of sea slugs. That's why everyone ends up taking lagoon cruises, to get in the clean water!

Our main regret on the trip was that we didn't pack in enough coffee. There are only two small stores on the island and when you ask for coffee they show you the Nescafe instant. They grow fantastic coffee commercially on a neighbor Cook island, Atiu, so we assumed we could buy it as we had on Raro. NEVER ASSUME!

Air Raro flies small planes and limits luggage to one light bag and a purse. Once you pack snorkel gear, CAMERA, and a few clothes there's not much room left to take creature comforts, so unless you stay in the fancy resort, you'll be living and eating like the locals. Tins and fruit, instant coffee, powdered milk, kind of drives you to go eat at restaurants, where you can see DANCING. (PART II)

mysticwolf 10627 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-05, 08:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Great photos, beautiful place. (Note to self: Add one more location to list of SCUBA destination desires.)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

08-08-05, 05:43 PM (EST)
6. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Thanks everyone for your votes! Anyone who wants to see a relatively unspoiled by civilization South Pacific, I heartily recommend the Cook Islands. But don't tell everyone! The lack of crowds is a big part of the charm.

As for it being a scuba diving destination, I would say it's not for serious divers because the water inside the reefs is so shallow you have to look for places with snorkeling depth. I guess there is some diving off of Maina in Aitutaki lagoon.

Niue and Palau are probably better out of the way spots for scuba.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

08-26-05, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Beautiful pictures. Congrats on the first place photos.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

Flowerpower 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-25-06, 08:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
WOW OFG, your pictures are simply amazing! Just exquisite! What a picture you have painted for us all! It looks like a perfect location in paradise! I feel as though I practically know the place now! The uninhabited beaches are probably some of the world's best...sure would LOVE to see it! What an experience this must have been for you, thanks for sharing! It would be wonderful if Survivor indeed plays out here!

04-14-06, 05:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Thanks Flowerpower! (I just stopped by this forum and didn't expect a new reply!)

Can't edit my post any longer, but I want to say I totally screwed up the mountain-stealing myth.

I wrote:
>>Aitutaki is an atoll (flat) and has "mountain envy" of its rival island Rarotonga. Supposedly the Rarotongans ripped off the Aitutaki mountain and left them with a bit of a stump--it's still a good climb in the near-equatorial heat.

The legend (rather myth told as legend) really goes like this:

Aitutaki was originally a flat atoll and yes it had mountain envy, but it was the Aitutakians who put together a raiding party to Rarotonga where they cut off the top of one of its peaks (that today looks kind of shaved off). They didn't need the whole mountain for an atoll the size of Aitutaki, just the top of one.

The Aitutakians carried the mountain home balanced on top of their spear points. Picture a circle of canoes around the perimeter with each warrior holding spear aloft in right hand to support part of the mountain.

The Rarotongans pursued, but the bad bad Aitutakians kicked their butt with just their free hand as they couldn't set down their prize. They took the mountaintop home and stuck it on their flat atoll. This is how Aitutaki got a mountain.

For some reason they only tell this story in Aitutaki.

There's another saying about the Aitutaki-born:
they love to argue so much they will get themselves in trouble just for the pleasure of talking themselves out of the predicament.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

11-17-06, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: SSC5 (PH): Cook Island Dreaming Pt I: Aitutaki Lagoon"
Talk about deja vu. Did you have any idea this would be a Survivor location when you were there.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •