The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC3 (FF) The View"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-27-04, 10:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ExInterper Click to send private message to ExInterper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC3 (FF) The View"
The View

As he proofread the letter for the last time, his right eye drifted away from the screen and caught the sunlight glinting off the harbor. Despite the seriousness of the work, the corners of his lips moved almost of their own accord into a relaxed smile. But then, the view always did that to him. The view was the best part of his job.

His was the best office in the building, and the view was why. Clients, visitors, even the other jealous investment bankers in the firm would remark on the view the minute they walked into his office. 15 floors up, huge ceiling-to-floor windows, all giving everyone who entered the office a panoramic view of the ocean. Not even the president of the company had a view as good as his. It even had a part of the window that could swivel open. It wasn't a very big opening. Maybe 18 inches wide and 6 feet tall. And you could only have it open during the summer, and even then only when it wasn't too windy. But when you did open it, as you could today, the entire office would fill with the sea air. The smell of the ocean dancing gently around your nose, the sharp tang of salt tantalizing your lips…the view was a full body experience.

But it wasn't just the actual experience of the view that made him love it so. It was what the view represented. It represented success. It represented hard work and sacrifice. It was the rewards of being the most successful vice-president in the most successful investment firm in the Northeast. It was the wife he never married, the children he never had, the family he never spoke to. And most of all, it meant that he was the best, leaving those who were weaker or less able in his dust, while he rose above it all, overlooking the ocean in the way a king would survey his domain.

But today, he could not linger on it long. His eyes strayed back to his computer screen and he fixed the last sentence. Finally satisfied, his perfectionist nature sated, he printed the letter to the printer in his office. He knew this would explain everything better than he ever could in person. He had never been able to express himself the way he wanted, unless he could do it on paper. He was sure it would answer all the President's questions. About the millions of dollars in profits fabricated. About his statistics inflated and his intricate shell games. About how he could manipulate the company and the clients…all for a view.

He stood at the windows and stared out at the view for what he knew would be the last time. Today, they would finally discover what he had done as his house of cards collapsed around them all. He knew they would strip the view away from him forever. He wanted to drink it in one last time. Imprint it, sear it, burn it into his memory. As he did, his lips once again pulled involuntarily into a smile. He couldn't stop smiling even if he wanted to.

And still smiling, he squeezed out of his open window, and jumped, arms spread, to embrace his view.

Yet another Jslice masterpiece!
Thanks to Ben, Sheri and Sarah, whose conversation about the future finally gave me inspiration to write for the WSC. And thanks to those who encouraged me to write something for the WSC in the first place. You know who you are.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View KObrien_fan 01-28-04 1
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View FarmBoy 01-28-04 2
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View L82LIFE 01-28-04 3
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View GrendelsMom 01-28-04 4
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View nailbone 01-28-04 5
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View Silvergirl1 01-31-04 6
 RE: WSC3 (FF) The View Schnookie Palookie 02-05-04 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-28-04, 06:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
Nice Job ExI.

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-28-04, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-04 AT 09:21 AM (EST)

I am impressed and amazed!

Very nice work! More! More!

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-04, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
Great job, ExI. I really like the feel of this, the sadness and emptiness he feels. Even when he knows what this view cost him, he still can't help himself from loving it. I hope you write some more for us to read!

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-28-04, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
Masterfully done! And chilling. Love the ending.

Do not let writing legal briefs quash your talent.

gotta lvoe the loaf

nailbone 27248 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-04, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
Nice job, ExI!

Sandra, Panama's Sole Survivor
OT Studmuffin of the Year '03, Prince of Passion, Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian, and Vice-President of the GAWKUR Alliance o-
Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

01-31-04, 03:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"

Nice job. I liked it.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-04, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC3 (FF) The View"
Wow ExI! That was some great writing!

I'm so impressed with the talent here

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •