The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC3 (NF) Fear"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Breezy 18268 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC3 (NF) Fear"
Fear is wanting to know why, but no one will tell you. It can be hearing your child screaming and not be able to comfort her. Or wondering when or will it happen again.
The first few days of 1976 are kind of a blur to me. But what I do remember will stay with me forever.
I vaguely remember the drive to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. (I remember the drive back more; it was the only time in my life that I was ever carsick.) I vaguely remember the hotel room they we stayed in the first night before I had to check in.
I remember the meeting with the Dr that would perform the surgery. He showed Mom, Dad and I pictures of a heart and explained what would happen during the surgery. I was only five so I didn’t understand much of what he said, but I tried to understand. As a “why” child I wanted to know why this and why that.
I remember sitting in the wheelchair and being taken from my hospital room down to have a test done. The room looked like a normal examination room except the bed looked a little different. It had pieces of fabric hanging from it. The nurse helped me up on the bed, then to my horror she strapped me down to the bed; she strapped me in so tightly I couldn’t move a muscle. (I now know what the pieces of fabric were for.) I start to panic, the nurse just patted my arm and tells me to relax, it’ll be over quick. When the Dr enters I ask him what’s happening, he also just pats my arm and tells me to lie still and relax. He then turns to a table and when he turns back towards me he’s holding THE biggest, longest needle I have ever seen! If I had any doubt before I now definitely know what the pieces of fabric were for. I begin to scream and become even more agitated by the fact that I’m strapped down and can not escape. I remember the glint off the needle as the Dr held it over me and prepared to insert it in my upper thigh/groin region. I still have the scar there.
The rest of my stay at Mayo is more a blur, I remember willing myself to go to sleep as they push my bed down to the operating room. Waking up to my Mom crying over me. The presents and cards that family and friends sent me. Visiting some of the other kids that were there. Then being told I could go home.
I learned later that Mom and Dad could hear me screaming during the tissue sample ordeal. Mom tried to come into the room but the nurses wouldn’t let her. Also learned Mom was crying over me when I woke up because all the tubes I had all over me had scared her.

I’m a grown woman now, with a child of my own and I still freeze and get agitated when a nurse or a Dr starts towards me with a needle. I’ve overcome most of my fears of hospitals and Drs……but the fear that my heart will give me trouble never fades

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 oh wow breezy cqvenus 08-08-03 1
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear Drive My Car 08-09-03 2
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear Schnookie Palookie 08-11-03 3
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear L82LIFE 08-17-03 4
   RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear buckeyegirl 09-24-03 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cqvenus 9713 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-03, 08:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "oh wow breezy"

wow. thanks for this account. you tell the tale with mastery. you are a brave girl!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-03, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear"
Wow!
Such vivid and frightening memories. You wrote this so well. I almost felt like I was watching it and could feel your fear.

Thank you for sharing this, it must have been really difficult to write. No matter how young some experiences stay with us forever. I think every parent has that fear of their child being sick, telling it from your own childhood perspective really brings that home.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-03, 01:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear"
Nicely done Breezy and thanks for sharing.
I wish for strength for you forever sweetie *hugs*

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-03, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear"
This is chilling, Breezy. What you went through is every parent's nightmare.

Looking at your ordeal through your child's eyes is very moving. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us, hon.

{{hugs}}

buckeyegirl 5446 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-03, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Fear"
Thank you for sharing this memory with us. As a child who spent many days and nights in the hospital with asthma (all the nurses knew me and my parents by name) I can relate well to your story.
Your ability to describe it through a child's eye is well done.

A Kyngsladye Original
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •