The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-29-03, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-03 AT 01:13 AM (EST)

I'm posting the rules a few days before the contest actually begins so that any questions can be answered before the contest is actually underway. This year's contest will run from August 1 through August 31. I'm just copying and pasting a bunch of the rules because it's easier and I'm a slacker. In fact, I'm such a slacker that this is at least the second time I'm copying and pasting.

The Rules

We will have seven voting categories and two non-voting categories.

The Voting Categories

Non-Fiction(NF) - Stories from your real life. Examples: Funny stories, romance, horror (we all have those), or whatever else you want to tell us from your life.

Creative Writing has been divided into three categories since it receives so many entries.

Flash Fiction(FF) - Short short stories should be posted here. I'd offer a word count guideline, but that's a pain in the butt for people to keep track of. Generally, if your story can fit on one page without scrolling, it's Flash. For those who write in Word, there's a tool that gives you a word count. Generally, anything under 1000 words is considered Flash. Important special note: If you enter something in this category, consider submitting it to SmokeLong Quarterly as well. You might win fifty bucks.

Short Stories(SS) - Any fiction that is longer than Flash should be posted here.

Humor(HU) - I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Top Ten Lists should be entered in this category as well.

Persona Narrative(PN) - A story based on your online persona or others. However, you can include others only with their express permission. If you include someone without his or her permission, your story will be removed from the competition. Chat transcripts, Epics and anything else involving poster personas goes in here.

Poetry has also been divided into two categories since it receives so many entries.

Free Verse(FV) - Poetry that doesn't rhyme should be posted in this category.

Rhyming Poetry(RP) - Poetry that does rhyme should go here.

Visual Art has also been divided into three categories, by request (actually, the request was for two categories, but there are many types of visual art that don't fall into either of the two suggested categories, i.e., OFG's garden, so a catch-all category should cover those; I'd hate to miss out on them for lack of a category).

Painting/Drawing(PD) - Paintings and drawings should both be entered in this category, regardless of medium.

Photography(PH) - Artistic photography should be entered in this category. To be fair, I'd like to suggest not allowing pictures of one's children into this category. I'd love to see pictures of posters' kids, of course, but I'd rather see them on OT.

Visual Art(VA) - Visual art that doesn't fit into either of the two above categories should be entered in this category.

The Non-Voting Categories

Exercises(EX) - If you have writing exercises that you'd like to share, please post them in this category. We all can use a push when combating writer's block.

In-Progress(IP) - If you have a piece that you're still working on and you'd like serious in-depth feedback, post in this category. This can be hugely helpful for any writer who really wants to polish a specific piece. Folks interested in this category might also enjoy The Writers' Rendez-Vous.

Here is how the competition will be run. Create your work for whichever category you want. You may submit previously posted works, but they must be resubmitted under the following guidelines. Start a new thread for each work. This way we can all tell you how wonderful you are. The Subject line should indicate the category and submission title in the following format.

SSC3(NF) "Title of story" (Substitute the NF with the proper category that your work falls into.)

You may not submit works that were entered into previous Summer Story Competitions or the Winter Story Competitions. Once again, there will be a limit of two entries per category. Please understand that all writings are welcome even if they aren’t for the SSC, and this is certainly true year round. If you want to post more than two per category, choose the best two and enter them, and then post the rest without a tag.

Length:
Your story doesn't have to be short, but keep in mind that the people of this board are not known for their long attention spans. Multiple-post entries are acceptable, and will be counted as one entry. (For an example of this, see idiotcowboy's novella from the SSC2.)

Voting/Winning
The contest will run from August 1 through August 31. On September 1, all submitted works will be categorized and posted on a ballot. The voting will then begin. Voting will run from September 2 through September 8 and winners will be announced September 9. To avoid hurt feelings, the voting will take place through email to me and will be kept confidential. Everyone will get to vote. Votes should be mailed to sherpadave@hotmail.com. Please vote for a first through third place winner in each category.

The first through third-place winners of each category receives nothing but Blowies. I will also be awarding the fifth Salman Rushdie Award to the person that best personifies the spirit of the contest that didn't win a specific Blowie.

I'll also be setting up a website again for easier viewing. That will be at http://untruecrimes.com/ssc3 (but don't look yet; I won't have it running until the contest has begun).

That's it. I hope that everyone participates. I also encourage everyone to reply to the entries. I know that some people have a hard time with one-sentence “great story” type replies, but in this case it is important to give encouragement. It isn’t easy for most people to post this type of thing and in most cases a lot of work went into it.

Above all, have fun! There are many tremendously talented people on these boards. I'll bet you're one of them and I'd bet even more that you'll love the stuff everyone else posts.

One final thing: unless my schedule changes pretty dramatically before January, this may well be the last one of these I'll be running. I'm sure someone else will pick up the torch, but just in case this is the last one I can do, send me off with some dazzling stuff, huh? I've enjoyed every single one of these and wish like crazy I had more time to run them in the future. Thanks for making this such a fun job to do.

Criminals From the Neck Up | The Writers' Rendez-Vous | SmokeLong Quarterly

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Wheezy 08-02-03 1
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Drive My Car 08-03-03 2
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... TechNoir 08-03-03 3
       RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Drive My Car 08-03-03 4
           RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SherpaDave 08-04-03 7
               RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Drive My Car 08-04-03 9
                   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SherpaDave 08-04-03 10
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... cqvenus 08-04-03 6
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Sunny_Bunny 08-03-03 5
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SherpaDave 08-04-03 8
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Java 08-07-03 11
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SherpaDave 08-08-03 12
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SaphireLady 08-08-03 13
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... SherpaDave 08-08-03 14
 RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Silvergirl1 08-29-03 15
   RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rule... Wheezy 08-30-03 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-03, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
HI!!!!!

WHEEZY...is still waiting to read. *sigh*

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-03-03, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Rules clarification please.

Dave, did you see Java's photo on OT? Wondering about the photo entry rules and why no kid pictures, or if you just meant regular snaps of everyones cute kids. Can you clear this up?

Her photo seems like exactly the kind of thing the competition is about. Thanks

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID6/7578.shtml

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

08-03-03, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
If I had to guess, I'd say that he doesn't want folks to compete for who has the cutest kids.

Course I can't speak for the Ruler.

08-03-03, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Agree Tech, that was exactly what I was thinking.
We could all post cute pics of our Kids and our Pets and our Weddings, that isn't what the competition is about ( those things do belong on OT).
Java's photo wasn't about how cute her kid was, the person in the picture could be anyone, it is just a beautiful photogragh, and I think is exactly the type of thing that the Photography entry is about. So maybe Dave could clarify, because Java did take that photo, and it is more Artlike, then just a snapshot of her child.

( sorry Java if using your photo as an example bothers you, but I think it is exactly the type of Photo Art the competition is about)

I think we all can see the difference between a cute picture of our Child, and a Photogragh that is Art in it's composition.

08-04-03, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 01:10 AM (EST)

Tech had it right. And if it's of Java's kid, no matter how artistic, I gotta say no. Because art is in the eye of the beholder and how do I tell the next person who wants to post a pic of their kid that isn't quite as obviously artistic no?

Edited to add: I don't remember whose suggestion it was to exclude pix of people's kids from the competition (to be honest, I thought it was you, buggy!) back when the photography category was introduced, but I thought it was a pretty good suggestion.

08-04-03, 04:19 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"

I don't think it was me Dave ( of course I could be wrong) but since I have no interest in creating photograghic art, I have no idea why I would be concerned with that catagory or it's rules.
Did you look at it? It is not a "hey look at how cute my kid is" photo. If she hadn't said it was her kid, no one would have known. I understand that there is a difference between Art photograghy and snaps of the family vacation. So no people in photos? Or if I take a great picture of someone else's kid does it count?

Honest Dave, I am not trying to be difficult, and I know you think I am, but just because it happens to be her kid in the beautiful photo ( the composition on the photo is what makes it Art, it could be anyone) does that mean it doesn't count?

I get that the competition is about the photo, and not a cute kid contest. I like the photoshop Art, but if we exclude family, it takes out an entire segment of the competition.

I don't mean to be dense but I don't get it.

08-04-03, 10:52 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
It's an artistic photo of someone's cute kid. You wanna be the one to tell someone later that their cute kid photo isn't artistic? I don't. Hence, the rule.

cqvenus 9713 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-03, 00:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-03 AT 00:09 AM (EST)

If *I* had to guess, I'd guess that he doesn't want people submitting artwork (drawings, paintings, etc.) done BY our members' children. I think photos of any subject matter (within the PG13 guidelines) are eligible.

*** edited to add after I reread the rules as he wrote them, it does seem like he said none of children. My interpretation of that is that he means no class photos. But I agree with you guys: Java's picture is a cool picture, not "a picture of a kid" so to speak.

~ cq

Sunny_Bunny 5430 desperate attention whore postings

08-03-03, 11:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Forgive my ignorance here, but what exactly is a "blowie?"

08-04-03, 01:09 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Just the traditional award given out around SurvivorBlows whenever there's a reason to give out an award.

Java 508 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-07-03, 11:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
huh. i just wandered over here and looky all the emails with my name in them! thanks for blowing my horn, buggy. you are a sweetheart! but i don't mind not posting that pic, that's why i put it on OT in the first place and acknowledged that is was my spawn.

besides, i have plenty of other pics...

this needed a bump to the top anyway

08-08-03, 00:39 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Yay! If that picture was any indication, you've got real talent and we're in for a treat!

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-08-03, 02:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Question. I have a poem or two that I truely like but have posted them at the Writers'Rendez-vous, are they allowed here or do I need to post new ones?

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

08-08-03, 11:06 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
They're allowed.

Only stuff that's already been entered into an SSC or WSC before isn't allowed

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 08:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"

Dave, is there an age limit on who can enter a story? Silverchild is 13 and would like to make an entry.

Silvergirl

Transportation made possible by Ice Cat creations.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-03, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Summer Story Competition 3 Rules"
Hi! This is Dave, using Wheezy's laptop to answer this question, so I don't have to log her out. Absolutely, Silverchild should post! But in the past, the way we've handled it so there wouldn't be any hurt feelings is to allow peeps to post their kids' stuff, but not have them be "official" entries. Usually, they gets lots of great feedback that way without getting stressed out about the vote.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •