The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18752 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
I want to talk about Caroline.

No last name, just Caroline. I’ll respect her privacy in that regard. Oh, I could have written a fake last name. I could have started out saying “I want to talk about Caroline Smith (not her real last name)” and then gone on. But why should I waste your time like that? Why should I waste your time with some parenthetical expression that you don’t need to get to the heart of my tale? That’s not who I am. I am not about to waste your time.

I just want to talk about Caroline.

Caroline had the best song of any woman I was ever involved with (think Jefferson Starship, not Neil Diamond), although Peggy Sue Jones (not her real last name) came close. Caroline was two years older than me at the time we dated (I assume she still is two years older than me), drop dead gorgeous, smart, built, funny, and totally nuts. (I assume she is still all of those things as well.) Now, everyone says that their ex was nuts. I can back it up.

On our first date we saw a double feature of American Beauty and The Sixth Sense. As we left The Sixth Sense, Caroline turned to me and said “It’s not like that.”

“What’s not like that?” I replied.

“It’s not like that when you see dead people. I see dead people, and it’s not like that.”

There are a limited number of ways you can respond to that. You can say “Oh” and change the subject. You then take your date home, say thanks for the evening, and then politely demur about going out again.

I didn’t do that.

You can also say “What’s it like then?” and proceed to get into a long conversation about seeing dead people, a conversation that ends up with the two of you spending the night in bed (in the talking and kissing way, not the yeehaw knock boots way).

I did do that.

But that’s not why she was nuts. I actually believed her. At least I grew to believe her, when one night she started asking me questions about my father. She described how he looked (before I could tell her), and she said “Did he used to say ‘on it’ a lot?”

I said yes to both, and she said that she could see him watching us sometimes.

Now, the description might have been nothing. You could look at me and get a good idea of what my father looked like. But the “on it” thing. That was something. My father always said that as a transitional phrase. I never say it. I use my mother’s transitional phrase, “Anyway.” My sisters and I all do. Whenever we are all sitting around the table with mom, you can count on hearing “anyway” twenty to thirty times over the course of an evening. But you could hang out with me for years and never hear me say “on it.” When she said that, I believed her.

But she was nuts.

One time she came back from a trip to Minneapolis to visit her spiritual healer. (And mine, as well. The things we do for love.) He had informed her that she and I had been together seven different times since the seventh century and that it hadn’t ended happily any of the times. The worst had been in the twelfth century, when I had done nothing to prevent her from being killed as a witch. She sent me an email, telling me not to deny it, I had done it and she knew I had done it.

I didn’t deny it. I told her I didn’t remember it, but I didn’t not remember it. It didn’t seem like the sort of thing I would do now, but who knows how far my spirit may have advanced since the twelfth century? I said I believed her.

But she was nuts.

We soon broke up because she could never get over my betrayal. Our relationship ended because she was angry about something that had happened over eight hundred years ago. And that’s why she was nuts.

Because eventually, you just have to let go…

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 whoa cqvenus 08-08-03 1
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline L82LIFE 08-08-03 2
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline Breezy 08-08-03 3
 Excellent story AyaK 08-08-03 4
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline Drive My Car 08-09-03 5
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline Sunny_Bunny 08-09-03 6
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline SaphireLady 08-10-03 7
 Fantastic Schnookie Palookie 08-11-03 8
 I think *you're* nuts! nailbone 08-13-03 9
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline Java 08-13-03 10
 RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline Lisapooh 08-19-03 11
   RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline buckeyegirl 09-24-03 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cqvenus 9713 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-03, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "whoa"

now I know this is non-fiction, but that was funny. come on, if we can't look back on it and laugh, what can we do?

I like the layout. This was an interesting read. Not interesting like people say when they don't know what else to say, and don't want to hurt your feelings. Interesting like really interesting.

- more! more! (i'm a little greedy...)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-03, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
I like the way you write, Dweezil. It feels very personal, as if you're telling the story straight to me. It feels very familiar and comfortable.

I really like this tale. Your acceptance of her is so complete and that comes across on the paper. Great read.

Breezy 18268 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-03, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
Nice job...you made me believe her and think she was nuts also.

*Breezy ... keeping OT satisfied since 2003*

AyaK 8129 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-03, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Excellent story"
Nice pattern, nice style, nicely written.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-03, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"

I LOVED THIS!!!! I completely loved every single word. The conversational tone was so great.

I don't even have the words to say how much I loved this. To tell you it was well written ( and it was) just doesn't convey at all what I mean to say.

I think this may be my favorite.

Sunny_Bunny 5430 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-03, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
Weasel, this is wonderful!!

I so love the conversational style, as if we were all just sitting around in your living room telling stories. And your punch line at the end...so priceless.

I'm with Buggy, this may just be my favorite as well.

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-10-03, 04:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
I finished reading this piece and my thought was, did the girl really exist or is she a made up person. Either way, well done. I can see bits of her in people I know who really believe in that stuff, not me I am afraid I am a dull person.

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-03, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Fantastic"
story Dweezil! Love your style of writing.
I agree with the others, it's like we were all sitting together hearing your tale. Great job!

nailbone 27248 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-03, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "I think *you're* nuts!"
And I mean that in the best kinda way!

(c) 2003 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.
Prince of Passion, Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian (StS) o-

Java 508 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-13-03, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
I think I knew Caroline in another life...

This rocks.

Lisapooh 12661 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-03, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
Sneaky Ferret, you have to absolutely promise me that you will write more and more and more and more!

This is awesome! It's publishable exactly how it is. Doesn't need a tweek or a polish or anything else. And if you dont' submit it somewhere, I'm gonna kick your ass.

This is soo good. Please keep writing - I mean it. You're sooo good at it!
[marquee scroll

buckeyegirl 5446 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-03, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: SSC3 (NF) Caroline"
Great story. I didn't want it to end. Always a sign of a good author. I'm not a writer, but I am an avid reader, and thought your style of writing was very original and well, great!

A Kyngsladye Original
~Don't stop writing

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •